The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Neural DSP Omega Ampworks Granophyre
Old 14th February 2020
  #1
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
New Neural DSP Omega Ampworks Granophyre

They did it again.

https://neuraldsp.com/products/omega...rks-granophyre

Old 14th February 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
feck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
Been demoing it this afternoon. As a huge fan of Neural, I have to say this is a bit underwhelming (especially for those who already own some of their stuff). A one channel mostly mid/high gain amp with one channel and no post fx just doesn’t go anywhere they haven’t already gone. It does sound good - but for the price I’d definitely suggest any of their Archetype plugs over this one.
Old 15th February 2020
  #3
dio
Lives for gear
 

After the Softube Marshalls, another...

Overpiced: Single Amp

offering for this week
Old 15th February 2020
  #4
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Been demoing it this afternoon. As a huge fan of Neural, I have to say this is a bit underwhelming (especially for those who already own some of their stuff). A one channel mostly mid/high gain amp with one channel and no post fx just doesn’t go anywhere they haven’t already gone. It does sound good - but for the price I’d definitely suggest any of their Archetype plugs over this one.
I definitely agree. I had high hopes for this as the amp itself is made here in my area. In the end it is a slight variation on a theme that Neural really seems committed to. This does sound really good though and offers that instant gratification that the other Neural pugs do.

My brother Erich and I have spent the last few weeks demoing a lot of amp sim software and agree the the Neural stuff is simply on a different level. I really hope they consider expanding there tone/genre pallet.


G
Old 15th February 2020
  #5
dio
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
I definitely agree. I had high hopes for this as the amp itself is made here in my area. In the end it is a slight variation on a theme that Neural really seems committed to. This does sound really good though and offers that instant gratification that the other Neural pugs do.

My brother Erich and I have spent the last few weeks demoing a lot of amp sim software and agree the the Neural stuff is simply on a different level. I really hope they consider expanding there tone/genre pallet.


G
Yes, so many mid to high priced metal amps cannibalize their own market and just end up competing to each other. I mean, of course one can buy 6 plug-ings that do pretty much the same thing for ~700 euros, but that wouldn't be very smart and not many people will do it.

Also, this 24% VAT added just before you are ready to click the final submit button is such a pleasant surprise (NOT).

I very much enjoy their plug-ins BTW, but I bought almost everything second hand.
Old 15th February 2020
  #6
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
After the Softube Marshalls, another...

Overpiced: Single Amp

offering for this week
I would consider buying the Softube Plexi if it had the ability to bypass the amp and just use the cab/mic mixer section. Those 67's and a Coles 4038 for the room sound really great. But no it won't do it :(

G
Old 15th February 2020
  #7
Gear Nut
 
Clash's Avatar
 

Yeah it's a no from me, too.
I was worried I'd have to fork out again as I love their stuff normally - but this one is IMHO for the super, mega high gain crowd only. I couldn't even get a clean sound out of it on my guitar - and tbh Nolly and Plini provide enough distortion for any music I'm likely to record.
Nice to see a tuner on there though and hope they add these (and the improved preset workflow) to the older Archetypes in future revisions.
Old 15th February 2020
  #8
dio
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash View Post
Yeah it's a no from me, too.
I was worried I'd have to fork out again as I love their stuff normally - but this one is IMHO for the super, mega high gain crowd only. I couldn't even get a clean sound out of it on my guitar - and tbh Nolly and Plini provide enough distortion for any music I'm likely to record.
Nice to see a tuner on there though and hope they add these (and the improved preset workflow) to the older Archetypes in future revisions.
Yes, changelogs from the recent releases of Fortin NTS, Nameless and Darkglass suggest that we'll get a tuner for the Archetypes sooner or later, as well as other stuff like AUTO DEMO etc...
Old 15th February 2020
  #9
Gear Maniac
 
Amroth's Avatar
So that means if I'm new to the neural DSP world, Nolly's Archetype is the best all rounder yes?
Old 16th February 2020
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
So that means if I'm new to the neural DSP world, Nolly's Archetype is the best all rounder yes?
Depends really. Really wanted to like the Nolly but in the end did not purchase it after the demo. Sound didn’t stick with me while the Plini and Abasi do make me play and provide a lot of versatility. Plini has wonderful clean and low gain sounds but imho the cab is too loose for high gain sounds. For that I use Abasi where the clean amp is surprisingly nice too. Especially the blend option which adds a piezo sound.

Try yourself and spend some time with the plugins. They are different enough and it depends on style what fits your taste.
Old 16th February 2020
  #11
Gear Addict
 

This one sounds good too as you'd expect form NDSP. But with Nolly I'm covered for guitar - wasn't too mad on Abasi but YMMV!

This is not a 'must have', for me anyway...
Old 16th February 2020
  #12
Gear Nut
 
Clash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Yes, changelogs from the recent releases of Fortin NTS, Nameless and Darkglass suggest that we'll get a tuner for the Archetypes sooner or later, as well as other stuff like AUTO DEMO etc...
Excellent news.
Old 16th February 2020
  #13
Gear Nut
 
Clash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
So that means if I'm new to the neural DSP world, Nolly's Archetype is the best all rounder yes?
Like the other feller said, "depends really".
For me, if I HAD to pick one it would be Nolly - but luckily I didn't have to as I'd really miss that clean amp (plus reverb) from Plini. Abasi was great and I can see why it would be someone's favourite but for me I felt I could get all the sounds I was going to realistically use from Nolly and Plini.

There's no getting around it, NDSP are the expensive, 'boutique' plugin company. Compared to all of the other usual suspects you get very little for your money in terms of amp variations and fx - but what you do get is, IMHO, better sound and feel and looks and work flow than anything we've seen to date. And you can try out all of their products for free for 14 days - so get stuck in lad and find which tickles your particular fancy.
Old 16th February 2020
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
Amroth's Avatar
Cool thanks guys, will have to just check them out
Old 18th February 2020
  #15
Gear Addict
 
highvoltage's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
I would consider buying the Softube Plexi if it had the ability to bypass the amp and just use the cab/mic mixer section. Those 67's and a Coles 4038 for the room sound really great. But no it won't do it :(

G
You can actually bypass the amp. It's not working from the GUI, but if your DAW allows showing plugin parameters, the last one is the amp bypass. That's how i just made IR responses of the 9 microphones
Old 19th February 2020
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
So that means if I'm new to the neural DSP world, Nolly's Archetype is the best all rounder yes?
I prefer Plini.
Old 19th February 2020
  #17
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
So that means if I'm new to the neural DSP world, Nolly's Archetype is the best all rounder yes?
I would say yes , it s the most solid , Nolly s impulses are making it to another level , and the ability to switch cabs versus amp also makes it a serious amp sim "station" , not saying this the best witch is subjectif but the most all arounder for me ...

I m no guitar player , i ask a friend to try those and pushed him to buy one during sales lol , verdict : mah , i don t reconise my guitars in those (he usually uses a Two rock) ... he got plini by the way ...

So at end i say this just to tell you to trust your ears ... i do have the felling that its like the same algos with tweaks ....they all have that sound , i don t know how to say it , but if you like it bingo , if you don t , no matter witch suite you gonna choose ...chances might be you will not be liking it better ...

I would a suite of boutique stuff like Z or two rock , or stuff not heavy gain aimed at all , clean and frunch , bluesy ...
Old 19th February 2020
  #18
Neural seems to be pigeonholing themselves into the metal genre. With increasing frequency I hear things like "they're only for metal players." That's not true, but I have to agree that they're beginning to market themselves that way so the comments are surprising. Is this wise? I know non-metal players who've passed over Neural because of this perception.
Old 19th February 2020
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Clash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Neural seems to be pigeonholing themselves into the metal genre. With increasing frequency I hear things like "they're only for metal players." That's not true, but I have to agree that they're beginning to market themselves that way so the comments are surprising. Is this wise? I know non-metal players who've passed over Neural because of this perception.
The plugins definitely have a metal/prog/7-string type bent, but their HW device (Quad Cortex) seems to be pretty standard in its offerings of VOX, Fender, Marshall etc. so they're clearly trying to appeal to a wider audience with that.
Personally I find I can get all my favourite 60s garagey and classic rock tones with Nolly and Plini is great for pop/country/blues/ambient etc.
Old 19th February 2020
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clash View Post
Personally I find I can get all my favourite 60s garagey and classic rock tones with Nolly and Plini is great for pop/country/blues/ambient etc.
Do you find Nolly more well-rounded for rock (not super high gain)? I may need to give it another demo. I had a preference for Plini at the time but then I was far more familiar with that plugin at that point and might not have gotten the most from Nolly.

I tend to play clean and mid-gain rock. Plini's clean amp is gorgeous, fwiw.
Old 19th February 2020
  #21
Gear Nut
 
Clash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Do you find Nolly more well-rounded for rock (not super high gain)? I may need to give it another demo. I had a preference for Plini at the time but then I was far more familiar with that plugin at that point and might not have gotten the most from Nolly.

I tend to play clean and mid-gain rock. Plini's clean amp is gorgeous, fwiw.
Yeah I'm greedy - I bought both .
Re: Nolly - I think the underappreciated aspect of that sim is Amp #1 . If I use it with the gain up and the mids up on the graphic EQ and swap the cabs I can get the slightly grungy, garagey 60s sounds like those of the La's album (which I love even though it wasn't recorded in the 60s). Turn the gain down and the treble up and it does surprisingly good early Beatles/Who/Stones sounds.
The modded Marshall (#2) is great for rock (though many people prefer Mercuriall Spark for Marshall tones. It is excellent). I don't use the two higher gain amps that much but it's nice to know I've got filth on hand should I need it.
I prefer the 2 OD pedals to Plini's 1 - and though I think the Plini reverb is stellar the Nolly reverb gives a nice roomy, 'sits in the track' quality.

I feel that even though Plini and Nolly are aimed at nu-metal/prog types, they're versatile enough for people like me who want some old school sounding tones and or ambient sounds - but the Granophyre is just too metal for anyone other than people who are really, really, REALLY into metal.
Old 19th February 2020
  #22
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Do you find Nolly more well-rounded for rock (not super high gain)? I may need to give it another demo. I had a preference for Plini at the time but then I was far more familiar with that plugin at that point and might not have gotten the most from Nolly.

I tend to play clean and mid-gain rock. Plini's clean amp is gorgeous, fwiw.
I made the mistake of not giving Nolly a fair chance, because I fell so hard for Plini. Sound similar? Anyway they were really cool about re-upping my Nolly demo and in the end we chose that one.

I do think it is more versatile for "Rock" tones including vintage cleans.

I love the reverb and comp pedal and uber clean tones on Plini and we will buy that someday.
Old 19th February 2020
  #23
dio
Lives for gear
 

BTW even more amp sims for this week...

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...man_be100.html
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...dman_ds40.html

Perhaps someone will start a proper new product alert thread...

It seems like amp sims is the chicken with the golden eggs and the cow with the endless milk nowadays. Well... That's a different thead
Old 20th February 2020
  #24
Gear Guru
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Neural seems to be pigeonholing themselves into the metal genre. With increasing frequency I hear things like "they're only for metal players." That's not true, but I have to agree that they're beginning to market themselves that way so the comments are surprising. Is this wise? I know non-metal players who've passed over Neural because of this perception.
You re right , of course , if not , iwould have bought it , i know we can do other genre but the very essence of their ligne (just take a look at non archetype stuff even basses) are ckearly. Stuff around metal or heavy genre ...

I swear i discovered some bass tones i thought it was heavy guitar played in low register lol
What i m saying is that it will be cool to see them making a suite more aimed to classic tones ....
Old 20th February 2020
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Has Neural directly modeled any particular Amp?
Old 20th February 2020
  #26
Lives for gear
 
cprompt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Has Neural directly modeled any particular Amp?
Yes, literally the Omega Granophyre.

As for the fact that it's a metal amp only... Well I guess that's what it is. Stay Metal Ray likes it!


Old 20th February 2020
  #27
Lives for gear
 
spectacular g's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Has Neural directly modeled any particular Amp?
Yes and they are built 20 minutes from my home. We will be heading over there soon to try the real amp that was modeled. They also make a second amp seen here

http://www.poweredbyomega.com/guitar...dian-amplifier

That one has a dedicated "clean" channel so it will be very interesting to try that one out as well.

G
Old 20th February 2020
  #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Has Neural directly modeled any particular Amp?
They typically have specific amps in mind when modelling, however they're not always forthcoming with that info (for legal reasons).
Old 21st February 2020
  #29
Gear Head
 

Look I don't mind them selling each amp separately but what grinds my gears is how they all have slightly different features and FX, why not just unify the whole damn platform and let me use the IRs / FX / pedal stuff across all the amps.
Old 21st February 2020
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
GrabtharsHammer's Avatar
Yes, it‘s expensive. And yes, the Archetype suites offer more features and variety for the money. But... I downloaded the Granophyre demo and got the best high gain sound I ever had. Instantly, without any tweaking.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump