The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases Cola2 CORE 15 + Modula Version
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Acustica Audio releases Cola2 CORE 15 + Modula Version

Product: Cola2
Developer: Acustica Audio
Price (MSRP): Introductory price - 69.00€ [Reg. 159.00€] - Save 56% OFF - For the first four weeks after release or until first official version is released.
Plug-in Format(s): VST, AU, AAX
System Requirements (Windows): Windows 10
System Requirements (OSX): OSX 10.14
Cola2 Commercial web-page: https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/cola
Cola2 User's manual: https://app.box.com/shared/static/2n...j8h53pniy0.pdf

A little bit of history..

FROM SAMPLING HARDWARE TO SAMPLING HUMANS

With Cola (Cola C228 standalone plugin), we introduced a first-of-its-kind in AI-based approaches to mixing. Unlike other companies, who simply classify the nature of audio content (violins, drums, vocals, etc.) with the aim of implementing an auto-mix functionality with the software, we have chosen a completely different approach.
We are not new to Artificial Intelligence technology. In fact, we have been using 'AI-based machine learning' while developing our compressors.
But Deep Learning techniques - applied to our already unique hardware sampling technology - will be a true game changer as - to our knowledge - the creative approach of an engineer to mixing has never been 'sampled' and recreated in a plugin.
Once again, we wanted to be the first to truly bring something innovative to the game, like we did when we introduced VVKT technology in the audio world over 10 years ago, setting a new standard that goes beyond mere emulation. Plus, the sound of 'Cola' is something nobody has ever captured (or emulated) before.

BRITISH PASSION.

The centrepiece of this plugin suite is a beautiful and rare British console from 1972. used to shape the immortal sound of iconic albums by AC/DC, Queen, Clash, Sex Pistols and many more.
Our emulation embodies the essence and the behaviour of this sexy beast - a fully discrete, class A console with mastering grade inductor Eq's on each channel and a 44-Volt audio power supply that gives it a smooth and clear sound with big and solid bass, low noise and lots of headroom.

In addition to this beautiful console, we have emulated some extremely refined and very rare pieces of gear to accurately deliver the classic tone that can be found at of Vox-ton's (http://www.vox-ton.com/).
Vox-Ton is a fully analog recording studio based in Berlin, Germany, run by skilled engineers Francesco Donadello and Niels Zuiderhoek.

Acustica and Vox-Ton studio joined forces for this exciting project to give you one of the best vintage plugin suites ever created in the digital domain.

WHAT YOU GET

The Cola2 suite consists of:

-Cola2 C-228 (Vintage 3-Band Inductor Equalizer with High-pass and Low-pass Filters ).
-Cola2 C-415 (Vintage Valve Pre / 3-Band Passive Equalizer).
-Cola2 C-1671 (Vintage Germanium Graphic Equalizer ).
-Cola2 C-505 (Vintage Discrete Compressor/Limiter).
-Cola2 Channel-strip (Channel strip that includes some of the previous cited standalone plugins).

Each plug-in included in the Cola2 suite comes in Standard version and an alternative “ZL*” version which operates at *zero latency and is thus suitable for use when tracking, at the cost of extra processing resources.

CORE 15

Cola2 is the first plug-ins suite of our line to introduce EHR™ - Enhanced Harmonic Response Technology - one of the key features of our brand new CORE 15 engine - which we are currently developing to add even more features!
Learn more: https://www.acustica-audio.com/pages...ducing-core-15

How to try a plugin: TRIAL MODE

- Create a user account (if you do not have one yet) on our website
- Download and Install Aquarius, our products manager, for either Mac or PC
- Type the product name in the 'search' field inside Aquarius to find the '(trial)' version of the product, then click on the thumbnail or on the 'Install' button. This will take you to the product page (the trial version of a product is also visible in the 'related products' section on the right)
- Select the right plugin format according to the DAW you are using and click 'Install'
- Aquarius will download, install,and authorise the trial product automatically
- Run your DAW. You're set!

Please note:

- The old trial authorisation method - which required the 'LASTTRIALS' code - is now obsolete and each trial version of a product can be easily downloaded/installed directly from Aquarius, for a more streamlined process
- Should you see an authorisation error, the reason could be that the product has been already authorised too many times and the limit has been reached

For details about installation/authorization please refer to the following page: Acustica Audio - Professional Audio Software - Acustica Audio

IMPORTANT Available sampling rates: 96 - 44.1 kHz

PLUS

COLA2 Modula (M4) version is available! Get Cola M4 for FREE if you already own both the Acqua plug-in and Modula.

Details: http://www.acustica-audio.com/pages/.../cola-2-update

Old 14th February 2020
"Enhanced Harmonic Response Technology", sounds interesting, does this mean we'll be able to drive the preamps harder now?

Edit: Hmm, after testing, the preamps react like they did in v1, as in can't drive them. Also there's no AI in this. Presets list is empty??
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

The compressor action on this one seems so good so far .. 2-3 dB on a rhythm acoustic guitar is all I needed to tighten up the dynamics and smooth out every peak no matter how sharp/loud it was.

But pushing the make-up gain can produce very LOUD pops so be careful.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMaloogalooga View Post
"Enhanced Harmonic Response Technology", sounds interesting, does this mean we'll be able to drive the preamps harder now?

Edit: Hmm, after testing, the preamps react like they did in v1, as in can't drive them. Also there's no AI in this. Presets list is empty??
About harmonic distortion: it is improved (now ringing is not possible any more at all possible input levels), but like the original it is not an overdrive. For sure harmonic distortion is more obvious in celestial, but the unit is a bit different

About AI presets, there was a mistake but the item was updated just an hour after the release. They are there now
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Nut
I'm really digging the way the pres alone smoothen out tracks but still keeps them relatively bright. It's not appropriate all the time, but great to have in the arsenal.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Nut

I haven't noticed a big difference. Should I notice a difference when driving the preamps more heavily? I like the bundle a lot and dig the compressor a lot!
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
About harmonic distortion: it is improved (now ringing is not possible any more at all possible input levels), but like the original it is not an overdrive. For sure harmonic distortion is more obvious in celestial, but the unit is a bit different
What Core will allow noticeable saturation and overdrive with preamps? Is that in the timeline?

I think that's what many people are waiting for since a lot of users would like the option of pronounced analog color with a few instances rather than needing to put a plugin on 50 channels so harmonics at -70dB add up to something.

Most other analog modelling "mojo" type plugins probably have less authentic harmonic saturation, but it can be made more audible.

The majority of users never have come 100ft of the original gear I doubt even purists would complain about being able to boost the harmonics.
Old 20th February 2020
Here for the gear

Wonderful work around CORE 15 - very exciting where this could potential go. I look forward to Acustica Audio implementing CORE 15 across their range of Acqua Plugins.

Shame their tech support are so rude and arrogant - It clearly doesnt matter much to them if you've bought into their plugins...its not very nice to spoken to like ****e.

If the quality wasn't so good, id drop them immediately..
Old 20th February 2020
Gear Nut

Honest question:
Why dont you update your "old" plugins to the Core15 technology?...
Old 20th February 2020
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Zeronaut View Post
Honest question:
Why dont you update your "old" plugins to the Core15 technology?...
All in good time.
Old 21st February 2020
Lives for gear

At this rate, we will have Cola9 Core 77 in a year or two.

Any future naming plans for your products that might simplify all these revisions and changing incremental values?
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Pre amp 3 on the Cola Strip is about 2.5db louder than the rest. Same on the Cola 2 Strip.
Old 22nd February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
All in good time.
I hope that means White2 as well. *fingers crossed*
Old 22nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by screentan View Post
Pre amp 3 on the Cola Strip is about 2.5db louder than the rest. Same on the Cola 2 Strip.
Confirmed

Thanks for identifying.

I've reported to AA Beta-forum.
Old 24th February 2020
Gear Addict
I have been using Cola2 in the last two mixes and mostly as a first colour CS before anything else. I actually really enjoy how I can push the mic pres now. Simply setting up a mic pre and then boosting the input trim to around +18 until Cola input meter shows around 0. I think you can even make it clip off some peaks too when pushed past that.
Before core 15 I would get less tight and more blurry sound when driving trim too far and know instead it opens up. Really nice on vocals and chello!

I wonder how long till Gold get this treatment?
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know, in the previous version commented on the forums, I opened a ticket myself, but it seems that fixing it requires more than reprogramming code ... I think the solution is far.
Old 24th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaSupport View Post
Product: Cola2]

IMPORTANT Available sampling rates: 96 - 44.1 kHz
Any schedule on 48 kHz support?

::
Mads
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I noticed that when trialling it too
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

I really like the compressor with an average amount of compression, say about 6 dB GR. It does have a rich sheen and a very good transient attack/release control.
Old 29th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
I have been using Cola2 in the last two mixes and mostly as a first colour CS before anything else. I actually really enjoy how I can push the mic pres now. Simply setting up a mic pre and then boosting the input trim to around +18 until Cola input meter shows around 0. I think you can even make it clip off some peaks too when pushed past that.
Before core 15 I would get less tight and more blurry sound when driving trim too far and know instead it opens up. Really nice on vocals and chello!

I wonder how long till Gold get this treatment?
Yeah I kind of feel like Acquas have reached a new level of realism with this one, like the Cadec had its soul uploaded.

Last edited by Rocket88; 1st March 2020 at 01:14 AM..
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I really like the compressor with an average amount of compression, say about 6 dB GR. It does have a rich sheen and a very good transient attack/release control.
On which sources? I had some good results on a drum bus (V1) but found it a little bit finicky in lots of cases where I just can’t seem to set it right and then end up removing it!
Old 1st March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
On which sources? I had some good results on a drum bus (V1) but found it a little bit finicky in lots of cases where I just can’t seem to set it right and then end up removing it!
Various sources drums, bass, Acs GTRs .. for mid to high GR the fastest attack is the best. The 2:1 with auto release is good if you want to control the dynamics without too much colouration/fluctuation. 4:1 and over is really aggressive with anything more than 2 db GR.
Old 2nd March 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Various sources drums, bass, Acs GTRs .. for mid to high GR the fastest attack is the best. The 2:1 with auto release is good if you want to control the dynamics without too much colouration/fluctuation. 4:1 and over is really aggressive with anything more than 2 db GR.
I’ll give it another shot then, thanks for sharing your settings!
Old 4 weeks ago
That graphic EQ is remarkable
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Ursu View Post
That graphic EQ is remarkable
Your post made me revisit the graphic eq. You are absolutely right!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
I like the Pre C-415 in line mode, 20% El Ray, then C-288. All in” for thick and warming trumpet solo.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search