The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AudioThing Type B - Vintage Exciter Plugin
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Software AudioThing Type B - Vintage Exciter Plugin

Type B is a plugin inspired by a famous vintage exciter effect.

The original unit was designed to add presence and brightness to vocal or instrument tracks. It was often used to enhance dull recordings where the high frequency content was missing due to tape overdubs.

If you own a copy of Type A, you can get Type B with an additional discount. Log in to your account to find out.

Details
  • Intro Price: $/€ 29 (full $/€ 59)
  • Vintage Exciter
  • HP/BP Filter with Emphasis
  • Adjustable Unit Noise
  • Oversample up to 16x
  • Formats: VST, VST3, AU, and AAX (64bit only!)
  • Minimum Requirements: OS X 10.7, Windows 7

Video Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWD0fnsBCU
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Maniac

You've just made choosing letter A and B a bit harder, because both are as awesome. Lucky to have both with the generous discount.
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Addict

Talking

Exciting...
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Good, Someone finally did the type B.
Better, I have Type A, getting Type B.

Thanks Audio Thing.
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

//
Old 13th February 2020
Follow. Have A .....
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by parot View Post
Hmmm, Audiothing's modeling is usually on point.
The actual Aphex Exciter is a pretty polarizing piece of gear.
Do you have any experience with that sound?
Is it possible that it's just not for you in general?
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

I know the aphex aural exciter , the color seems to be ok with the plug but , but the sound broke too much and even 4 percent with the mix knob I hear the broken sound. this is not a saturation plug, it should have the high fidelity . I tried it on the mix bus it was not good but than I tried on the instrument it was ok because I needed a little drive. What dissapoints me is this aural exciter is supposed to be used for finalizing the songs but it does not work . But it can be useful as a color box for instruments.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parot View Post
I know the aphex aural exciter , the color seems to be ok with the plug but , but the sound broke too much and even 4 percent with the mix knob I hear the broken sound. this is not a saturation plug, it should have the high fidelity . I tried it on the mix bus it was not good but than I tried on the instrument it was ok because I needed a little drive. What dissapoints me is this aural exciter is supposed to be used for finalizing the songs but it does not work . But it can be useful as a color box for instruments.
What settings are you using? How much drive?
If you hear too much "effect", try to switch the filter to 12dB (make sure it's HP) and lower the emphasis, then move the tune to find the right spot.
Also, if you are playing with the mix knob you should try with the direct turned off.

Although the Aural Exciter can be used on a master bus, I really think it should be used on separate tracks, as it can be indeed a bit destructive depending on the content.
Old 14th February 2020
Here for the gear

I did try everything you said , and I decided using this only on instrument tracks not on a master bus , sorry for the first post but I didn't quite get what I wanted . In fact this plugin sounds more like aphex type c .. Anyways I bought it and I will find a place for using it as an effect . Thanks
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

I'm Type A so this might not suit me.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Addict

$19 for Type A owners, really worth it even if it ends up being a niche plugin. Thanks AudioThing!
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Addict

How does it compare to the SPL Vitalizer ?

I mean not only the plugin emulation, but the effect in itself ?

I'm not sure I need that at all, but I didn't test it yet...
I own the Type A, it's nice sounding but I very rarely use it...

EDIT : interesting video by the way...
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

The original Aphex units were _definitely_ not for everyone, so dont expect this plugin to be something it isn't.

But you may find it useful in some situations if it suits your personal taste.

Rule number 1 with these: Less is more!
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
The original Aphex units were _definitely_ not for everyone, so dont expect this plugin to be something it isn't.

But you may find it useful in some situations if it suits your personal taste.

Rule number 1 with these: Less is more!
Exactly. Like @ Local Man said, it was a very polarizing hardware. The Type B was also the first low-cost unit with this algorithm, definitely different compared to the early tube-powered prototypes.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Why the over-sampling sound like a phase effect?
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Why the over-sampling sound like a phase effect?
v1.0 had phase issues with the Oversample and the Direct on. Please, update to v1.0.1.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Ok thanks, will do.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Thank you very much for the Type A owners discount and all the fantastic plugins you make.
Old 15th February 2020
Gear Nut
Very nice plugin!

Only missing 6 out of the AudioThing range now. Any "complete your bundle" plans in the pipeline?
Old 15th February 2020
Here for the gear

This'll be a useful plugin to have in the toolbox. Like others have said, a little goes a long way – maybe 25-30% max for most things.

My only gripe is that I find the IN/OUT LED colours confusing. I instinctively read GREEN as ON and RED as OFF, but here it's the opposite.

Any chance the colours could be swapped around, so GREEN=ON, RED=OFF? Can be a user-selectable option.
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickskii View Post
Very nice plugin!

Only missing 6 out of the AudioThing range now. Any "complete your bundle" plans in the pipeline?
Sure, we can do that. Contact us and we'll see what we can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston View Post
This'll be a useful plugin to have in the toolbox. Like others have said, a little goes a long way – maybe 25-30% max for most things.

My only gripe is that I find the IN/OUT LED colours confusing. I instinctively read GREEN as ON and RED as OFF, but here it's the opposite.

Any chance the colours could be swapped around, so GREEN=ON, RED=OFF? Can be a user-selectable option.
Yeah, I expected this to be a bit unintuitive. The switch colors are the same as the hardware, RED is engaged and GREEN is off. Anyway, sure, I can add an option to swap the colors in the next update.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

I had a type B. It also had something called "big bottom" which was a bass enhancer. It was awesome. I haven't heard or used anything like it, since. Any chance of that being emulated in the future?
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Addict

Big bottom is not on B, I think. It is on the old C but the newer models have it too. I think I have two EXBB500 that has Big Bottom as well.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

This thing is quite interesting
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheever View Post
I had a type B. It also had something called "big bottom" which was a bass enhancer. It was awesome. I haven't heard or used anything like it, since. Any chance of that being emulated in the future?
The original Type B did not have the big bottom, I think it was introduced with the Type C, but not sure as I have never used it. So, for now, we don't have any plan to add a big bottom emulation, sorry.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing View Post
The original Type B did not have the big bottom, I think it was introduced with the Type C, but not sure as I have never used it. So, for now, we don't have any plan to add a big bottom emulation, sorry.
Oh, you're right! It WAS a type C! I'm sorry for the error! Thanks for replying!
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

This is really great!
I am finding it very useful when I want to add dimension to the highs without it being too opaque. Great for getting a bit of sparkle and shimmer on strings or guitars or cymbals etc.
Old 16th February 2020
Gear Addict

These two nuggets from the manual of the actual Aphex Type-B are quite wise:

"The MIX control varies the amount of enhancement mixed back in with your program from none to maximum. ... It's very common to overuse this control at first. Remember, the goal is to sound and natural, not blistering!"

"IMPORTANT -- When you're just getting started with the Aphex Type B Aural Exciter it is easy to use too much. In setting up your processing mix we recommend that you make frequent In/Out comparisons. A good rule of thumb is that Aural Excitement should be missed in its absence, not noticed by its presence. The object should be a clean, bright, natural sound."

Well stated!
Old 16th February 2020
Lives for gear

IIR, the hardware type B had a Timbre control. is that the same as the color in this plug?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search