The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AudioThing Type B - Vintage Exciter Plugin
Old 16th February 2020
  #31
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
There is something wrong with the AudioThing PayPal link.
After doing the biz a message comes up saying PayPal was unable to accept the payment etc etc...
The message basically tries to blame Paypal.
But my PayPal account is working fine to purchase from other sites.

I had this problem first last night so gave up (but tested my PayPal account and it was fine).
Now 12 hours later the same issue continues.

Help please, I want to give you my money
Old 17th February 2020
  #32
Lives for gear
 
audiothing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachaction View Post
These two nuggets from the manual of the actual Aphex Type-B are quite wise:

"The MIX control varies the amount of enhancement mixed back in with your program from none to maximum. ... It's very common to overuse this control at first. Remember, the goal is to sound and natural, not blistering!"

"IMPORTANT -- When you're just getting started with the Aphex Type B Aural Exciter it is easy to use too much. In setting up your processing mix we recommend that you make frequent In/Out comparisons. A good rule of thumb is that Aural Excitement should be missed in its absence, not noticed by its presence. The object should be a clean, bright, natural sound."

Well stated!
Ah, I remember reading the manual years ago. Definitely well stated, might adapt it and add to the manual/product page.
Old 17th February 2020
  #33
Lives for gear
 
audiothing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
IIR, the hardware type B had a Timbre control. is that the same as the color in this plug?
No, the hardware has just 3 controls per channel: drive, tune, mix.
We have added color which controls the kind of harmonics generated.
Old 17th February 2020
  #34
Lives for gear
 
audiothing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
There is something wrong with the AudioThing PayPal link.
After doing the biz a message comes up saying PayPal was unable to accept the payment etc etc...
The message basically tries to blame Paypal.
But my PayPal account is working fine to purchase from other sites.

I had this problem first last night so gave up (but tested my PayPal account and it was fine).
Now 12 hours later the same issue continues.

Help please, I want to give you my money
I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with our checkout. I've just replied to your support ticket, but this might be helpfuf to ohters.
The most common issue we get with Paypal is when the VAT field is filled with a wrong number, Paypal just doesn't like that. So, if you are not VAT registered, make sure to clear the VAT field (it may be auto-filled by your browser), before clicking on Next/Complete Order.
Old 17th February 2020
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Beatworld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing View Post
I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with our checkout. I've just replied to your support ticket, but this might be helpfuf to ohters.
The most common issue we get with Paypal is when the VAT field is filled with a wrong number, Paypal just doesn't like that. So, if you are not VAT registered, make sure to clear the VAT field (it may be auto-filled by your browser), before clicking on Next/Complete Order.
Tried again, failed again and again ...
I choose Australia.
It says the price includes 10% GST and the Update ABN window is blank.

FYI your reply to support ticket hasn't arrived yet.
I've got to leave the studio now.
Hope you can sort it.
The 15 other AudioThing products I have were all purchased with PayPal

cheers

UPDATE: your support reply arrived, I just replied with 2 screen grabs.
cheers

Last edited by Beatworld; 17th February 2020 at 03:21 AM..
Old 17th February 2020
  #36
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

It would be really interesting to be able to have a *decode* on Type A to reduce noise (currently not able to do that afaik?), and then be able to synthesize top end/harmonics with the Type B. Not something easy to do ITB.
Old 17th February 2020
  #37
Gear Head
 

It reminds of the BBE H82 Harmonic Maximizer
Is the new Audiothing one better?
Old 17th February 2020
  #38
Demo'd it, ran it as an insert on a few individual tracks in a project, and a subtle amount on the Master out, and purchased it within a few hours. When used in moderation, I've found it adds an attractive "sheen" to the sound which would be hard to achieve with EQ alone. Useful level of control too which is lacking in my DAW's stock Exciter plugin. Good stuff!
Old 17th February 2020
  #39
Lives for gear
 
audiothing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
It would be really interesting to be able to have a *decode* on Type A to reduce noise (currently not able to do that afaik?), and then be able to synthesize top end/harmonics with the Type B. Not something easy to do ITB.
Unfortunately, no, we don't have any plan to add the decode stage to Type A.
Old 17th February 2020
  #40
Lives for gear
 
audiothing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGR View Post
Demo'd it, ran it as an insert on a few individual tracks in a project, and a subtle amount on the Master out, and purchased it within a few hours. When used in moderation, I've found it adds an attractive "sheen" to the sound which would be hard to achieve with EQ alone. Useful level of control too which is lacking in my DAW's stock Exciter plugin. Good stuff!
Thank you!
Old 17th February 2020
  #41
Gear Maniac
I took the opportunity to buy Latin Percussion together with the Type a -> Type B upgrade.

Both are fantastic
Thanks.
Old 17th February 2020
  #42
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
It would be really interesting to be able to have a *decode* on Type A to reduce noise (currently not able to do that afaik?), and then be able to synthesize top end/harmonics with the Type B. Not something easy to do ITB.
You can do that with Uhe's Satin.
It allows you to use the encode and decode stage of various noise reduction algorithms (Dolby Type A being just one of them) and even mix different encode and decode algorithms together.

Personally I much prefer Audiothing's Type A to Satin for that Type A high end trick sound though. But Satin is a great all around tape sim.
Old 17th February 2020
  #43
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

yeah, I’m basically just talking about an old trick for tracking synths.

You can also mimic it using a dynamic EQ like waves F6 to remove the hiss, and then add an aural exciter to synthesize the high harmonics back (which doesn’t raise noise floor)...whether it be waves aural exciter, scheps parallel particles, or now this.
Old 17th February 2020
  #44
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Thanks for the head’s up about Satin being able to do both encode and decode, btw.
Old 18th February 2020
  #45
Lives for gear
 
audiothing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
I took the opportunity to buy Latin Percussion together with the Type a -> Type B upgrade.

Both are fantastic
Thanks.
Awesome, we are going to update Latin Percussion and SR-88 soon.
Old 18th February 2020
  #46
Gear Maniac
 
crystalmsc's Avatar
 

Both A & B can be had as a bundle for even cheaper.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump