The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klevgränd announces KRETS - Modular Audio Environment
Old 13th February 2020
  #1
Gear Head
 

Software Klevgränd announces KRETS - Modular Audio Environment

(from the press release)



For some time back Klevgränd has been developing an audio effect development environment called KRETS. Initially it was made exclusively for internal use to prototype plugins and quickly test DSP ideas. Now they want to let real users try it out, aiming for the release of an official product.

Currently KRETS is in an alpha state; it works, but parts of the functionality (and design) will most likely change. Klevgränd is making this alpha public to get suggestions for features and feedback about the whole idea.


More info:

https://klevgrand.se/krets


Technical info:

KRETS is a plugin that works in any Audio Unit or VST compatible host on macOS or Windows. It requires an user account at https://klevgrand.se and an internet connection when authorizing the plugin (needs to be done once per machine).

Last edited by sundhage; 17th February 2020 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: Updated technical info.
Old 13th February 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
StoneyBCN's Avatar
 

Interesting. Big move for this company, look at Reaktor did for NI. Will be fooling around with this over the weekend
Old 13th February 2020
  #3
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Cool...I have many many years working in node graph environments like this for programming, glad to see them do this.
Old 13th February 2020
  #4
Gear Addict
 

What does 'requires an internet connection' mean? Just one time for installation or always?
Old 14th February 2020
  #5
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman View Post
What does 'requires an internet connection' mean? Just one time for installation or always?
Always. Patches are cloud based at the moment. This might change though.
Old 14th February 2020
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundhage View Post
Always. Patches are cloud based at the moment. This might change though.
That is unfortunatelly a reason not to be interested anymore. Always on is not for me. Thanks for the clarification though.
Old 14th February 2020
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundhage View Post
Always. Patches are cloud based at the moment. This might change though.
Will this be usable in iOS?
Old 14th February 2020
  #8
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Seems odd to not backup the node graph to local xml or plist (or similar)...please post back if it doesn’t need a cloud connection at some point.
Old 14th February 2020
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
Will this be usable in iOS?
Maybe in the future.
Old 14th February 2020
  #10
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Seems odd to not backup the node graph to local xml or plist (or similar)...please post back if it doesn’t need a cloud connection at some point.
Since KRETS currently is in alpha things may break in upcoming versions (we can't handle backward compatibility at this stage of the development process). It supports host state saving which makes it possible to save/backup a patch as an Audio Unit preset or VST preset on your local harddrive.

A significant part of the KRETS idea is that it's cloud based where patches can be shared between users in a quick and easy way. It might be a terrible idea, that's one of the things we hopefully will find out after shipping this alpha.
Old 14th February 2020
  #11
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Hmm, fair enough!
Old 14th February 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundhage View Post
Maybe in the future.
But you're an iOS specialist!

It'd be fun, but I'm guessing maybe a bit too flaky.

Even so, if anyone can do it you can!
Old 14th February 2020
  #13
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
But you're an iOS specialist!

It'd be fun, but I'm guessing maybe a bit too flaky.

Even so, if anyone can do it you can!
The UI would be a challenge at least. We've discussed a patchbrowser/player where only the host parameters are exposed, but nothing is decided yet.
Old 14th February 2020
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundhage View Post
It might be a terrible idea, that's one of the things we hopefully will find out after shipping this alpha.
I mean, you could save time and answer this question rn - it's definitely a terrible idea.

The product looks cool, and it'll be great if you have something that truly gives Reaktor a run for it's money (because competition breeds innovation, right?)

But yeah, the always-online thing? That will 100% ensure it'll never have a place in my workflow.


By having that requirement, you're immediately limiting your market to basically those people who work at one fixed location most of the time, and who are completely happy for a plugin to be constantly phoning home, and I think you're seriously overestimating the size of that market.


Having an online patch exchange is great, but you can do this without an always-online requirement. Look at Line6's Customtone for example - that works just fine, and has a huge userbase.
Old 16th February 2020
  #15
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyPonyHead View Post
I mean, you could save time and answer this question rn - it's definitely a terrible idea.

The product looks cool, and it'll be great if you have something that truly gives Reaktor a run for it's money (because competition breeds innovation, right?)

But yeah, the always-online thing? That will 100% ensure it'll never have a place in my workflow.


By having that requirement, you're immediately limiting your market to basically those people who work at one fixed location most of the time, and who are completely happy for a plugin to be constantly phoning home, and I think you're seriously overestimating the size of that market.


Having an online patch exchange is great, but you can do this without an always-online requirement. Look at Line6's Customtone for example - that works just fine, and has a huge userbase.
Yes, there has already been some negative feedback about the internet requirement (I personally agree about this). We're currently discussing a required one-time login inside the plugin UI for authentication, and then just hide the cloud-related stuff if there's no internet connected or the plugin is unable to connect to our web for some reason. Just need to get an OK from management, and if so there will probably be a new build available in a couple of days.
Old 17th February 2020
  #16
Gear Head
 

Now there's an updated version available (1.0.1a) with a few bug fixes and the ability to use the plugin without an internet connection. Note that an account is still required and the one-time-per-machine authorization process requires an internet connection.
Old 19th February 2020
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Bob Yordan's Avatar
Hi

I have just fiddled around with Krets for a couple of hours so far. Might have missed it, but would
be cool if it was possible to have a "container" module in the future. Now it gets kind of messy when you try
to make something with a lot of stuff. In eg Synth Edit it was possible to built custom designed containers where you
could define input/outputs yourself and hide a lot of stuff inside the container box. Also reuse the container boxes in
different projects. These container boxes could also perhaps be shared between users.
Old 19th February 2020
  #18
Lives for gear
 
toledo3's Avatar
 

Like a macro environment in Quartz Composer.
Old 19th February 2020
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Yordan View Post
Hi

I have just fiddled around with Krets for a couple of hours so far. Might have missed it, but would
be cool if it was possible to have a "container" module in the future. Now it gets kind of messy when you try
to make something with a lot of stuff. In eg Synth Edit it was possible to built custom designed containers where you
could define input/outputs yourself and hide a lot of stuff inside the container box. Also reuse the container boxes in
different projects. These container boxes could also perhaps be shared between users.
Yep it really needs something like that, and we've thought about it earlier. These containers should also be shareable and have custom inputs and outputs. It's a bit tricky to make a clever design out of this code wise so I really don't want to stress the development of this, it has to take some time.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump