The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mia Laboratories 925 Compressor Release!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Software Mia Laboratories 925 Compressor Release!

We proudly announce the release of our preferred
Main mix - Buss Compressor:
MIA Laboratories 925

Designed using physical modelling principles, based around the classic ‘feed-back’ topology in hardware circuit-design.

The side-chain detection stage is based on the analog envelope detector circuit:

Key design features include:
  • Variable knee response allowing more compression to be applied, esp. on high-transient sounds
  • Logarithmic gain reduction for more natural sound, since the ear's sense of hearing is roughly logarithmic
When used in extreme settings on sounds with long sustain, it can produce a distortion effect.
This happens when due to the high speed of the detector, it follows the actual waveform instead of the envelope of the program material.
This is normal for such a design and in some cases desirable.

After a lot of consideration it was decided not to exclude setting range, as the process is very much program-dependent.
Instead the user is given full control, since even if some settings will not be suitable for a specific material, often they are perfect for a different situation.

This is often the case in hardware vintage and modern equipment, and has resulted in the 925s’ very broad range of compression characteristics,
esp. suited for main-mix applications but also buss-mix or multiple separate channels.

Get your 14-days FREE Trial

925 Reduction Knee Response

925 Reduction Slope Curves
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I miss tools that take something from the world of analog but staying true to its digital origins. Trying it right now. Sounds really good. However, I almost right away want something like a "range-limiter" control. Similar to the likes of Fabfilter C2. This way I could dig way deeper into the sound without eating it away.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

There kind of is that functionality already. Low slope settings have less range. 0 slope only has something like -2.8dB. Higher settings have higher ranges.

It's a great tool for me. Nice and simple!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like the GUI sand the idea behind this one. I’ll give it a demo tonight
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Looks interesting.
Is the Slope control performing a similar function to the more traditional Ratio control ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It looks very promising. I’m gonna try tonight this one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

sounds really very very pleasing

any coupons for existing customers to bring the intro price down to Black Friday price?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post

any coupons for existing customers to bring the intro price down to Black Friday price?
Got all the previous MIA Laboratories plugins. No 925 Compressor coupons for existing customers. But I have been given good discounts in the past on their previous plugins, plus the 925 Compressor plugin is currently on sale at under half the current full price (does full price really mean anything these days though?!). I must resist................

Last edited by hesnotthemessiah; 1 week ago at 10:20 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

now that was super quick !

THANKS A LOT MIA LAB

just one question:
is there a reason there is no mix knob?

Last edited by TonStrom; 1 week ago at 10:28 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Will this be part of the Complete bundle?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
now that was super quick !

THANKS A LOT MIA LAB

just one question:
I don't get it, is there a discount for Mia´s Heavy hitters or not?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

what does your mailbox say?
mine said: NICE

Last edited by TonStrom; 1 week ago at 01:30 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I just tried it on the mixbus on some tracks
SOUNDS INCREDIBLE!
I have to test deeper but I have the sense that this is one of the best(if not the best) bus compressors in the box!

* Also the presets, especially on the mastering and limiting categories are very well tuned for a good starting point based on what process they describe.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I have received a coupon.

Still wondering if this will be included in the complete bundle, like the Compressor One was shortly after I had bought it.

I'm not complaining, it was still nice to have the delay included unexpectedly. It's just good to have transparency.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Only played with it for a few minutes so i can't really form a solid opinion of it yet,but the thing i noticed immediately for myself at least is i really like the attack on this thing.the air of higher transients carries through into the releases which is not something i hear all too often in plugins.usually when you get beyond a certain amount of gain reduction the transient starts sounding like a separate component,but i hear one solid sound/envelope here.not gonna get too ahead of myself,but to cut a long story short,looking forward to playing with this some more and possibly add it to the other Mia shizz in my ITB arsenal
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Looks interesting.
Is the Slope control performing a similar function to the more traditional Ratio control ?
Good point, this is not simply a 'renamed' ratio control.
Instead it works by averaging-out the reduction slope, between limiting and linear (least compression) by adjusting the amount of 'knee' present in the response. This contributes quite a lot to the sonic character and functionality of the compressor.

Quote:
just one question:
Yes! Especially with a dynamic process like compression/limiting, the peaks (or uncompressed transients) have a much higher 'masking' effect on the processed 'wet' signal. Often wet/dry mix is included in compression and certainly has it's uses, however in many cases the process and character of the plugin is somehow swamped or lost.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA Laboratories View Post
Good point, this is not simply a 'renamed' ratio control.
Instead it works by averaging-out the reduction slope, between limiting and linear (least compression) by adjusting the amount of 'knee' present in the response. This contributes quite a lot to the sonic character and functionality of the compressor.
Thanks for the info.

cheers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@ MIA Laboratories vst3 version of 925 compressor is very welcomed. Any hope for vst3 on Compressor One?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Also the presets, especially on the mastering and limiting categories are very well tuned for a good starting point based on what process they describe.
+1

and is it just me getting that "tickling belly feeling" using this compressor, the feeling you normally only get with very good equipment or and instrument you can really gel with? it makes noises sound sexy somehow ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
...usually when you get beyond a certain amount of gain reduction the transient starts sounding like a separate component,but i hear one solid sound/envelope here....

i think you are totally right, thank you for this observation, very good ears
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
When will it go full price ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
Supposedly March 1

I'm liking some of the Mastering presets but none have Stereo Link engaged which seems a little unusual.
Just something to be aware of when comparing with other comps that have Stereo Linking enabled.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
I have received a coupon.Still wondering if this will be included in the complete bundle
We are not planning to update the MIA Complete Bundle anytime before this summer.
All MIA Laboratories customers of “MIA Complete Bundle” and “MIA Compressor ONE”, have received a discount coupon for the 925 Compressor though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
@ MIA Laboratories Any hope for vst3 on Compressor One?
MIA Compressor ONE will get a vst3 version on a future update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil hartman View Post
The promo price will last until 29th of February 2020.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
what does your mailbox say?
mine said: NICE
Now it also says: nice!

Well, I had to email them because if you didn't buy compressor one (or the bundle) from them directly their system didn't recognize that transaction.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The Mastering presets are very well done. With 1db of GR, use an LUFS meter to match levels and when you bypass it you'll probably start swearing like I did because you'll have to buy it. It adds a subtle movement to the track that sounds lifeless when it's gone.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Anyone compared this with the VoosteQ Material Comp? Had an error trying to activate the Mia trial and now I’m traveling at the moment, curious how they compare. The VoosteQ has been complementing VSC-3 nicely lately
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Nothing crucial here : why have you guys decided to go with stepped attack / released ? Limitations of the physical modeling ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search