The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Smasher modeled after the of a uniquely modified 1176 compressor FREE!
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Pulsar Smasher modeled after the of a uniquely modified 1176 compressor FREE!

A custom mod on a classic circuit

Pulsar Smasher is an unprecedented custom modification of the 1176 compressor circuit, which we stumbled upon while fine-tuning other algorithms.

The original 1176 compressor has 4 selectable ratios. But it just so happens that all 4 buttons can be pressed at the same time, this is called “all buttons mode” or “British Mode”. Although probably an unanticipated feature, this mode has become very popular because of its distorted, explosive and highly compressed sound. Think of it as something halfway between a compressor and a saturation.

While remaining very close to the original circuitry, this modification adds definition to the transients and makes the whole tone more aggressive. Decidedly not versatile, this effect is especially useful to enhance the ambience in drum busses, but many other creative uses are possible.

Typical effects you can get with the Smasher are the raw and gritty sounds of bands such as Vulfpeck, The Whitefield Brothers or The Black Keys.

Main Features

Topology Preservation Technology
Our modelling technology guarantees a perfect emulation of the original device’s behavior. From the saturation of the magnetic flux in the inductors, to the precise response of the transistors, to the effects of tiny calibration defects, everything is perfectly reproduced.

Low CPU Usage
Low CPU consumption
We spent a ridiculous amount of time optimizing Smasher to consume as few system resources as possible – despite the complex algorithms at work. Pulsar Smasher takes full advantage of modern CPUs to do more with less. But if your computer can stand it and you enjoy making it suffer, you can always turn oversampling on, processing at rates up to 384kHz!

Parallel compression
By using parallel compression, one can thick up a sound, adding sustain, without loosing the dynamic of the whole track. The Mix knob of the Smasher will allow precise adjustment of how much thickness you want to add to your sound.

Linked sidechain
On a stereo bus, for smooth dynamic control, the channels are usually compressed independently. But when high compression is required, it is essential to keep the stereo image stable. That’s why the Smasher uses a single detector for a stereo track.

FREE until March 11, 2020

https://pulsar.audio/smasher/
Old 8th February 2020
Nice one ! Sounds big !!!

Thanks to the Pulsar team for the freebie !
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac

THANK YOU! LOVE IT!
99% of the time I go for a 1176 to smash things and this is just instant gratification and exactly what I need! It just has this warming character I've longed for ITB and just ended the search for it!
Also the GUI is so nice to work with, its quick and inspiring and also big plus for nice VU meter movement!
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks so much, guys!
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you Pulsar - just downloaded! Really looking forward to more compressors from you lot.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

I've been testing it in voice, kick and drumbuss, I like how it sounds in everything!

Despite being aggressive and having limited ratio, thanks to the mix you can achieve the desired result. The typical saturation of 1176 is very nice and the compression is great.

It is certainly a great gift!
Old 8th February 2020
The only feature I would like to see added to this plugin is a Sidechain HPF.
For the rest...damn...it sounds amazing. These guys know how to code compressors.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Nut

This compressor is really killer! I really dig it and I can't believe it that it is for free! Thank you so much Pulsar!
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Guru

Just watched the intro video and when i saw the numbers counts i was like they gonna squashed and engage it , it was already engaged and used naturally ....thk GOD !! Iwas afraid it will gonstupidly like the all button mode squashing drums room ....ect that classic bull....

Look like my no more plugin state will do an exeption (as too often lol)
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Holy crap! Thanks Pulsar. I use Mu daily, and I’m sure this’ll find a place in my work a lot too.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Nut

Downloads about 300 MB before virus alert.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceover Guy View Post
Downloads about 300 MB before virus alert.

Anyone else have this problem?
No. What anti-virus are you using?
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by denork View Post
Pulsar Smasher is an unprecedented custom modification of the 1176 compressor circuit, which we stumbled upon while fine-tuning other algorithms.
Maybe this is the best part!

Downloading now, no doubt that this is a keeper!
Old 8th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Maybe this is the best part!

Downloading now, no doubt that this is a keeper!
I missed that part !! If the next release is on par with the Mu quality, count me in !!
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks PULSAR!
Very good and useful compressor!
And the most important thing is that he has 64 bit processing and 64 bit audio output!!!
Congratulations!
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

It really does the all buttons in thing extremely well, and the wet/ dry knob is very useful on an effect compressor like this one.
Thank you, nice people at Pulsar!
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Head

pretty awesome!! sounds great. compared to cla-76 it's interesting how it deals differently with high end. cla-76 grabs more hi freq shaker sound (a loop i demoed) and crunches a bit uglier than this one for that loop. anyhow very nice gift for sure.
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Guru

Would be great to know the fixed settings values .

300 mb ? Is it like arturia with tones of gui component ?
Old 8th February 2020
The free plugin is sincerely appreciated, Pulsar! Nice piece of kit.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Sweet, will try this tomorrow, off out for the evening.

Thanks Pulsar!
@ kj.metissage - indeed, makes you wonder what's in the works :¬)
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Sadly I can't try this on my offline pc as I get an ilok message saying no Internet connection. Anyway to use this offline?
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughnuts View Post
Sadly I can't try this on my offline pc as I get an ilok message saying no Internet connection. Anyway to use this offline?
This is also the case in my studio. All my computers that matter are offline. Would be great if they would allow offline installations
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Thanks PULSAR!
Very good and useful compressor!
And the most important thing is that he has 64 bit processing and 64 bit audio output!!!
Congratulations!
LOL CONGRATS!

You have fought long and hard, driven some of us nuts, but now you have your victory and can spread some love over the (sorry) inconsequential issue?

Surprising release from Pulsar considering they could've easily just charged from the go. Well played!
Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane View Post
Surprising release from Pulsar considering they could've easily just charged from the go. Well played!
Whetting appetites for the full 1176, perhaps?
Old 8th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayTheLordBe View Post
Whetting appetites for the full 1176, perhaps?
I thought about that too...
Old 8th February 2020
Here for the gear

Very good, thanks Pulsar!
Just shot this against Devil-Loc, wich sounded kind of similar, this one with a tad more depth (or just different..).
Keeper.

Edit: tested both on drums and bass, and liked Pulsar more for drums. On bass, Devil-Loc was much better at preserving the pluck (is also darker sounding).

So, they're jut different... but similar, but different.

Old 8th February 2020
Gear Maniac

One trick pony obviously. Works on some stuff. Good to have.

This and Mu both have a certain smoothness which is uncommon ITB.
Old 8th February 2020
Lives for gear

Saw this and said, ahh yet another 1176 when my UAD-2 are my perfect 1176's. Then I said but this one is from Pulsar Audio, makes of the fine Mu. So I can't immediately dismiss it.
Then I saw it is free.
Clearly a no brainer.
thanks for this.
Did emails go otu about this?
rsp
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you vari MUch !!!
Old 9th February 2020
Lives for gear

The Distressor had an "all buttons in" mode. It's called "British mode." I never liked it, personally.

I'm interested to hear this plugin and I'm grateful it was offered for free.

Thank you.

- c
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search