The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New TONSTURM Spectral Shifting Plugin: FRQ Shift!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

FRQ Shift is an ultra-clean sounding, artefact-free, dual-frequency shifter engine. It offers precise control over both shifter engines that can be linked and crossfaded into each other. Further, we included effects that can be introduced into the feedback path of the shifter engines. On top of the pristine sounding DSP, we added the intuitive to use and powerful TONSTURM modulation system that allows you to create tense and alive sounding patches to transform and mangle your incoming audio.

Capable of everything from subtle modulation and stereo enhancement to more extreme atonal effects perfect for building tension and creating atmospheric backdrops.

What Others Think Of FRQ Shift From Tonsturm:

Tim Farrell - Sound Designer - Star Trek: Discovery / Star Trek: Picard / The Walking Dead:
“FRQ Shift is a great way to get new and unexpected results quickly. It has been an essential part of my tool belt on Star Trek Picard for creating much of the futuristic technology sounds in the show from scanning devices to creative science fiction atmospheres and textures. And it’s so much fun to play around with!”

Robert Babicz - Music Producer, Mastering Engineer, Live Performer:
“As a big Fan of creative effects, this plugin is really powerful. It’s amazing on creating liquid percussion in a track.”

INTRODUCTORY OFFER $89,00 US
until 18.02.20 / regular price ($129,00US)

FREE TRIAL VERSION AVAILABLE
14 days fully functional demo

Get it here: https://tonsturm.com/software/frqshift/

Trailer

Tutorial

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

For the love of all that is holy.how come none of you developers seem to have the foresight to not put your trials behind a checkout system.this is seriously infuriating.the excuse i have heard is that if you set your website up initially and then decide to provide a demo after the fact,then the trial has to be attained through a checkout system,but it seems like you initially intended there to be a trial,so why can i not just click a link and receive an installer.how can you possibly think that this is a good idea.oh well you lost me as a potential customer and i imagine you'll lose others to for this poorly judged decision.nobody likes being made to jump through hoops just to try out something
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
For the love of all that is holy.how come none of you developers seem to have the foresight to not put your trials behind a checkout system.this is seriously infuriating.the excuse i have heard is that if you set your website up initially and then decide to provide a demo after the fact,then the trial has to be attained through a checkout system,but it seems like you initially intended there to be a trial,so why can i not just click a link and receive an installer.how can you possibly think that this is a good idea.oh well you lost me as a potential customer and i imagine you'll lose others to for this poorly judged decision.nobody likes being made to jump through hoops just to try out something
Surely you understand they want your email?

Because they want to market to a demographic of potentially interested customers?

Is that weird?

- c
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Surely you understand they want your email?

Because they want to market to a demographic of potentially interested customers?

Is that weird?

- c
I understand the reasoning,but i am pretty sure if marketing research was done on the matter then they would likely find that methods like these are deterrents for most folk.i understand on occasion when a plugin is "free"that people expect you to become an addition to their social media stable of *****s or whatever as a price of entry,but there really is no excuse with a trial.its just an unnecessary gateway for something that should be painless
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Fair point and we are looking into this. We will evaluate if we can improve the demo workflow in the future or if we feel it is just fine the way it is. Anyway we are very happy with the amount of demos that went out so far.

Thanks!
Tilman
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Just a few words on the actual plugin :-)

We spent a lot of time tweaking the low frequency response of the hilbert transform as well as the anti-aliasing option Frequency Shifter. While conventional ways to reduce aliasing artifacts in frequency shifters involve filters, we took a totally different approach which results in a very clean sound, even in the low frequency range.

The feedback effects in combination with the adjustable stabilize parameter really give you a lot of control over the feedback path. On top we created our own customizable modulation system in a way we think is powerful and enjoyable to use in a plugin.

I forgot to mention for low shifter settings (Good for Phaser Effects) the Frequency Shifters can be synced to bpm in a way we have not seen on any other Frequency Shifter Plugins out there.

Here are a few examples of our Soundcloud Demo Playlist:

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FRQShift is turning out to be much more than initially meets the eye.

It is a very well thought out and implemented 'system', looking to be capable of some very 'cybernetic' relationships with it's modulation assignment options.

I normally test a FX plug-in with my own modulation 'systems' via Numerology 4 Pro...complex, interrelated, interconnected, and cascading LFOs. Unfortunately, there is an issue with 10.9.5 and Catalina code compiling I keep coming across lately with newer plug-ins 'meant' to run in 10.9.5, rendering them unable to load their normal AU, such that I am forced to load 'FRQShift' using the VST version with Blue Cat's 'Patchwork. This inhibited much of my normal testing workflow as described above with Numerology (issue reported to developer).

But, in this case, I think it was a blessing in disguise...as it forced me to really dig into FRQShift's built-in modulation system to recreate many of my bespoke tricks, and in doing so, I learned quite a few new ones!

The 'Envelope Follower' is especially and usefully creative in this context...and as I mentioned at the outset, some very complex modulations are possible with the flexible choices provided and intelligent assignment system (for example, LFO self-modulation...nice!). Way too much to get into in this general comment, suffice to say the deeper dive was well rewarded '-)

Then there is more obvious overall clean and smart visual design and excellent sound quality...pretty much just top notch package all around

I wasn't expecting to be this excited by 'another' frequency shifter...but gotta say, this may quickly become my 'go-to' for frequency-related design, exploration, and creative remixing...as I have been able to quickly exceed the expectations and results I generally have for this type of effect.

Great concept, design, and implementation...well done Tonsturm
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hey Loopy C,
thanks so much for the kind words and for informing us about the issue with OS 10.9.5.
For now we changed the system specs to Mac OSX 10.11+ (64-bit), 4 GB Ram, Intel® CoreTM i5 and are looking into this.

Thanks so much for the great feedback on FRQ Shift!

Just to remind everybody:
Only 5DAYS Left! 30% Introductory offer until 18.02.20

Cheers,
Tilman
tonsturm.com
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hi Tilman,

I am using FRQShift every day since it came out and I am very enthusiastic about it and will surely buy it, because it does wonders in altering / modulating the sound of (especially) synthies and fx as well as broaden them and altering their spatial appearance.
As already pointed out here, the very clever modulation options have a lot to with that.
Fantastico!

Four things are hindering my workflow though, and it would be great if you can look into it and hopefully change that with an update:

1) The second window-preset browser really is a pain to work with when you work a lot with your own presets (which I always do and I already have quite some for FRQShift), meaning: switching constantly between edit window and preset browser to try out presets I already made, altering them, going back to the preset browser to try the next preset and so on.
Maybe you can look into the way u-he does it with their synths preset-browsers, which are very user / worklflow friendly.

2) It would be very helpful if the name of the preset in use would be shown in he edit window (especially when you are working with more than one instance of FRQShift in a track).

3) A undo / redo-function would be great as well as

4) a bypass button within the plugin itself.

And speaking of & hoping for an update:
the Shifter and the Resonator are both a bit too soft for my taste right now, maybe you make them both digging deeper?

BTW:
I am on OSX 10.9.5, working with the vst in Bitwig 3.0.3 (nearly latest), and I have no problems whatsoever.

Thank you for that great tool and best wishes from Frankfurt/M, Germany.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Bought it minutes ago - and right away another request:

it also would be very good if you could lock the dry/wet-setting, because I realised that it is also very interesting to put FRQ Shift on a bus, where I have control over the fequency range I want to feed the plugin with (and the range which goes back into the mix), or when I want to put a reverb, delay or whatever only on the FRQ Shift-signal.
Furthermore this is a way to avoid or at least limit possible problems with mono compatibility when used on a bass.

Thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Note to everyone: the $89 price quoted above does not include tax, so expect the price to rise midway through the payment process, after you have filled in your name/address & chosen a payment method.

Personally, I bailed out when that happened. Call me crazy, but I expect the price displayed on the website to be the price I pay at checkout.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Hey everyone,
thanks for all your contributions to the FRQ Shift thread!

We are taking notes here and a few of the things being mentioned are already on top of our list. Mainly the mentioned preset system improvements.
The discount only lasts 24 Hrs from today on. If you are VAT registered you can exclude the VAT during checkout.

Cheers!
Tilman
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Intro Offer Ends Today!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search