The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Voxengo CRTIV Shumovick creative noise padding plugin released
Old 1st February 2020
Gear Head

Voxengo CRTIV Shumovick creative noise padding plugin released

26-Jan-2020: Voxengo is pleased to release CRTIV Shumovick, a creative dynamic noise-floor padding effect plugin for professional music production applications, available in AAX, AudioUnit, VST and VST3 plug-in formats, for macOS and Windows computers.

CRTIV Shumovick plug-in for professional music production applications produces a creative dynamic noise-floor padding effect. This effect is most effective on beats and synth sounds used in electronic music production – EDM, hip-hop and the like. The noise-floor effect created by this plug-in is correlated to the spectral content of the sound being processed.

As a result, on beats, this creates mellow noise bursts that make bassdrum sounds a lot softer, with a bit of stereo-field enhancement effect. On synths, on the other hand, such noise-floor effect may boost the power and density of the sound. Shumovick can be also effective when used on sterile-sounding basslines where it can add a bit of “pillowy” noise background. In practice, Shumovick can be also used on acoustic drum buses adding “vintage” feel and aggression to them. Shumovick is, however, not as effective when used on full mixes, but can be also used on full mixes in some music genres.

CRTIV Shumovick is a relatively CPU-demanding effect plug-in, so it requires a higher-end computer processor for a comfortable use. However, the CPU requirements can be lowered by adjusting plug-in’s processing band count.

CRTIV Shumovick features:

* Noise-floor signal envelope controls
* Noise-floor signal equalization
* Selectable processing band count
* 64-bit floating point processing
* Preset manager
* Undo/redo history
* A/B comparisons
* Contextual hint messages
* All sample rates support
* Zero processing latency
* User interface color schemes
* Resizable interface
* Retina and HighDPI support

CRTIV Shumovick is available for purchase online for US$39.95. CRTIV Shumovick is free for Voxengo Premium Membership owners. Demo version of CRTIV Shumovick can be downloaded freely at the Voxengo web site: https://www.voxengo.com/product/crtivshumovick/
Old 1st February 2020
Lives for gear

What a coincidence!!!! I was just working on a Middle-Eastern/Indian/EDM type of beat and needed something to obscure it...wow! Great tool.
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Addict

Anyone else liking it? No time yet to try it.
Old 11th February 2020
Gear Head

flying under the radar here but this is a unique tool among the flood of latest eqs/comps
Old 12th February 2020
Demoing now. Initial thoughts:

1) I'm intrigued
2) The demo limitation (cutout every 40 secs or so) makes it hard to really evaluate
3) When it works (on/for the material), it's like very subtle fairy-dust that makes you go "what happened?" when you take it off.
4) When it doesn't work, it's ugly and sounds like sand glued to the bottom of your shoe
5) Some of what it does can also be done at source. But not all?
6) I'll test some more, on a bit more complex material (so far mostly synthetic drum hits and sparse loops) and make a decision. Vocals next.

and

7) It's not as CPU-intensive as one could fear, given the on-site blurb (but this is very much tied to the number of bands you use)

Edit: I've decided to go for it. The almost unheard but very much felt "livelinessification" this can create, is enough to warrant a purchase.

Beware 1: most presets have way too much low gain, resulting in too much dirt down there
Beware 2: It's very easy to overdo it. If you go "wow", back off.

j,

Last edited by Transistor; 12th February 2020 at 12:33 PM..
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Guru
Wondering if this is similar to Crystalizer for making pads......
Old 13th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Great plugin. But it's hard to imagine it couldn't be better CPU optimized. At medium or high band numbers a single instance is using as much CPU as multiple instances of heavy synths like Uhe Repro. It's so high that the plugin is kinda useless on anything you're not going to freeze or print.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Head

Thanks for the feedback so far. I do not think I can optimize CPU usage further. The topology is pretty intense in this plugin - it uses Hilbert transformation to derive input signal loudness, per band. So, in practice there are 3 bandpass filters per band + square root for envelope derivation. Can be made easier, but won't sound as smooth.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by btfnk View Post
Great plugin. But it's hard to imagine it couldn't be better CPU optimized. At medium or high band numbers a single instance is using as much CPU as multiple instances of heavy synths like Uhe Repro. It's so high that the plugin is kinda useless on anything you're not going to freeze or print.
denise have a similar plugin called Noize which is CPU friendly.

I prefer the sound of this though, and am used to printing tracks so CPU isn't an issue.
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
denise have a similar plugin called Noize which is CPU friendly.

I prefer the sound of this though, and am used to printing tracks so CPU isn't an issue.
They don't sound alike. Denise is simply noise with a filter and envelope shaper. Shumovik is more of a noisy spectral synthesis envelope shaper. It acts more like a very not at all subtle enhancer to my ears.

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention so far.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Slaughter View Post
They don't sound alike. Denise is simply noise with a filter and envelope shaper. Shumovik is more of a noisy spectral synthesis envelope shaper. It acts more like a very not at all subtle enhancer to my ears.

I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention so far.
Agreed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search