The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JASNO - a rediscovered German instrument + tape-based sound design
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Software JASNO - a rediscovered German instrument + tape-based sound design

Hi guys, Tomek here from Felt Instruments. I'm extremely proud to announce that Jasno [i ̯asno] - a delicate recreation of a forgotten German instrument that sounds like a cross between a celeste, a music box, a hang drum and who knows what else. Captured through a hand-made tube preamp, sampled with love.

Jasno takes a deep sampled Hohner Guitaret (made for only two years in the 60s and then dropped out of production, recently rediscovered by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis in their scoring work) and presents it for the new generation as a deep sampled instrument, featuring both traditional and extended articulations, as well as cutting-edge sound design created by processing the Guitaret using a variety of techniques and tools, including tape echoes, BBD delay and BBD reverb, lo-fi-ish early digital reverb, cassettes and tape. Some of these patches feature a digital tape looping machine, giving you control over speed, pitch, direction and overall dirt of playback.

https://feltinstruments.com/Jasno

Jasno works as a standard VST / AU plugin and natively supports both MPE, Expressive E Touche and standard MIDI CC automation.

The library is currently on INTRO PRICE at 39 GBP (going to 49 GBP on February 1st). You can also get it in a bundle with my previous release, Lekko which is a super-soft upright piano.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Lovely evocative sounds from this instrument Tomek!

Bravo to the creator.

Martin
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

The best demo for a virtual instrument I’ve ever seen. Lovely sounds and music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Indeed, very nice sounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Sounds great and I’m Very happy more sound designers are getting away from Kontakt!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks so much, guys! I had a lot of fun creating this (both sounds and visuals) so I'm very happy you enjoy it, too!

As for the Kontakt thing - I started my previous sampling project, Lekko, as a Kontakt instrument but most of support emails I was getting were about either running it in Kontakt Player (which it didn't support) or whether I'd consider making a VST / AU version. So I've re-programmed everything in HISE (great software, by the way!) and created a framework on which the current version of Lekko and Jasno are based on. Felt Instruments is my personal project but at this point it's really community-driven which I'm really proud of :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I love it but it's a bit pricey for me ATM. It's basically SonicCouture pricing.
Quite a lot for one sound (compared to fi Omnisphere with thousands of sounds for 400$).

It does sound good, though.

k
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulata View Post
I love it but it's a bit pricey for me ATM. It's basically SonicCouture pricing.
Quite a lot for one sound (compared to fi Omnisphere with thousands of sounds for 400$).

It does sound good, though.

k
Well, it's not really one sound. You've got four acoustic articulations + sound design patches :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi guys! Just a friendly reminder that the intro price ends tomorrow. I have a strict no-sales-after-intro philosophy so this is the last chance to get it at a reduced price. Cheers!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Lovely sounds.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt Instruments View Post
Hi guys! Just a friendly reminder that the intro price ends tomorrow. I have a strict no-sales-after-intro philosophy so this is the last chance to get it at a reduced price. Cheers!
Well, if that's the case, I couldn't wait. Looking forward to spend the evening with it.

Beautiful UI by the way.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hmmm nice one.
Old 3 weeks ago
OMG! This is SO good and so much fun! What a lovely, inspiring instrument. Thank you so much for creating it.

I just discovered what the pitch wheel does to piano drop.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonger View Post
OMG! This is SO good and so much fun! What a lovely, inspiring instrument. Thank you so much for creating it.

I just discovered what the pitch wheel does to piano drop.

Please elaborate, not hearing it here.

Beautiful sounds but experiencing some pop/click artifacts that are seemingly baked in & I can't get rid of mostly with the piano drop preset. Hoping to here back & that it can be remedied.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Please elaborate, not hearing it here.
It's "just" slowing down the sample, thus lowering the pitch. Technically nothing fancy, but animating it with a sine wave sounds so nice and gritty.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sounds great!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Sounds great!
It really kinds does. Stands out in the vsi world to my ears.

Wanted to mention fyi, Tomek is aware of, & working on the artifact thing with the patch I mentioned.
Seems like a good dude.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
It really kinds does. Stands out in the vsi world to my ears.

Wanted to mention fyi, Tomek is aware of, & working on the artifact thing with the patch I mentioned.
Seems like a good dude.
Good to know.

Yes it does, just listened to the Lekko demo too, looks like I'll be buying the bundle.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Bought the bundle. Incredibly unique and inspiring instruments.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi guys! Thanks so much for feedback, this truly means a lot to me! I'm currently working on an update that adds a 'less dirt' button to the Detailed Tweaks panel (which solves the noise thing that @ chet.d mentioned as an option) and also fixes the bug with modulators not being updated when a preset is changed :-)
Old 2 weeks ago
GCL
Lives for gear

Sounds great! AAX?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL View Post
Sounds great! AAX?
Hopefully at some point!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'm happy to announce that Jasno was just updated to 1.0.2. This update brings both bug fixes suggested by the community, as well as cleaner (read: less tape-y) versions of Becoming Ocean and Piano Drop patches. Since these updates bring some updates to the sample pool so if you're using Jasno or Lekko, you're going to need to re-download the samples in Pulse. To do that, please, right click on the cover image of the library you’d like to re-download. Select “Delete” and then press “Install” again.

Then grab the updated installers at feltinstruments.com/Installers and have fun.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm happy to announce that Jasno was just updated to 1.0.2. This update brings both bug fixes suggested by the community, as well as cleaner (read: less tape-y) versions of Becoming Ocean and Piano Drop patches. Since these updates bring some updates to the sample pool so if you're using Jasno or Lekko, you're going to need to re-download the samples in Pulse. To do that, please, right click on the cover image of the library you’d like to re-download. Select “Delete” and then press “Install” again.

Then grab the updated installers at feltinstruments.com/Installers and have fun.
Hi Tomek. If we install just the Jasno update do we need to re-download the samples for Lekko as well? Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad View Post
Hi Tomek. If we install just the Jasno update do we need to re-download the samples for Lekko as well? Thanks!
Hi! No, the plugins are independent of each other. However, if you're using Lekko too, it's good to download it's update as well (it got updated to 1.2.7 at the same time) because it fixes a few things.

Here's the complete rundown of the updated things from the newsletter:

Lekko and Wolno (v1.2.7):
  • Improvements to sample streaming
  • Distortion on a few Sustains and Shorts samples fixed
  • Fixes to clicking that might occur on the beginning of some notes
  • Improved transitions between the velocity layers in the Shorts patch

Jasno (v1.0.2):
  • Fixed the annoying bug that might make the sound silent on some Afterglow patches
  • A 'less dirt' button added to Ocean and Piano Drop patches - this removes some of the tape pops here and there. Honestly, I like them as they were but it's better to have the choice, right?
  • Improvements to sample streaming

Both updates require a re-download of the sample pools.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi! No, the plugins are independent of each other. However, if you're using Lekko too, it's good to download it's update as well (it got updated to 1.2.7 at the same time) because it fixes a few things.
Thanks, Tomek! Didn’t realize Lekko had been updated as well. Love the sound of these!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuintaQuad View Post
Thanks, Tomek! Didn’t realize Lekko had been updated as well. Love the sound of these!
Thanks! Updates and new releases is the only thing I'm using the newsletter for :-)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search