The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Klevgränd releases LUXE Audio Enhancer
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about on the bottom end?

I don't know what to tell you if you can't hear it.all these Klevgrand plugins of late are using the extremes of non-linear phase to apply the saturation,distortion,dynamics processing to the spectrum.the problem with this is that it introduces an insane amount of IMO totally over the top group delay that introduces actual delay into the bottom end relative to the top end.you get the same thing with minimum phase crossovers and steep pass filters,but this is totally over the top and makes them unusable on inserts,mixing and mastering.unless you make ambient music or something else that doesn't have transients or attacks in the bottom end

Stick it on a drum loop or drum stem which has transients that are mostly of a DC component (like acoustic drums or an 808 for instance)the attack will go from blistering quick bypassed,to when you engage either STARK,REAMP,or LUXE it will sound like your low end and transients had to pass through sludge before they could emit any sound.you can't really use them in parallel either unless you want to spend your life somehow trying to counter all that phase shifting and group delay

The only use i have for these and the only reason i bought them all is for sound design.when you actually do want to introduce the extremes of non-linear phase to making other nonlinear processing play nice and introduce all sorts of crazy and dynamic phase distortions.for mixing and mastering though?no chance.not here anyways

"under the hood is a very sophisticated set of parameters that will treat your incoming audio with great care"sure it does
Old 3 weeks ago
The update is appreciated. I am still enjoying this, btw.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
I don't know what to tell you if you can't hear it.all these Klevgrand plugins of late are using the extremes of non-linear phase to apply the saturation,distortion,dynamics processing to the spectrum.the problem with this is that it introduces an insane amount of IMO totally over the top group delay that introduces actual delay into the bottom end relative to the top end.you get the same thing with minimum phase crossovers and steep pass filters,but this is totally over the top and makes them unusable on inserts,mixing and mastering.unless you make ambient music or something else that doesn't have transients or attacks in the bottom end

Stick it on a drum loop or drum stem which has transients that are mostly of a DC component (like acoustic drums or an 808 for instance)the attack will go from blistering quick bypassed,to when you engage either STARK,REAMP,or LUXE it will sound like your low end and transients had to pass through sludge before they could emit any sound.you can't really use them in parallel either unless you want to spend your life somehow trying to counter all that phase shifting and group delay

The only use i have for these and the only reason i bought them all is for sound design.when you actually do want to introduce the extremes of non-linear phase to making other nonlinear processing play nice and introduce all sorts of crazy and dynamic phase distortions.for mixing and mastering though?no chance.not here anyways

"under the hood is a very sophisticated set of parameters that will treat your incoming audio with great care"sure it does
Yup. I hear it. I guess I've never used Reamp on a kick or drum loop. Reamp to me is something I'd use on tops and synths, etc to bring more high mids out anyway. But yeah it really makes the low end a mess on instruments wher it matters.

Different tools for different things.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

I’m not too much into the technical side of things but to me these plugins add a very analogue feel to the sound that most other plugins don’t. The sound definitely is dirty, gritty and not easy to tame but that’s exactly what I was looking for. I also noticed that the Reamp mix knob introduces some weirdness to the sound so I always left is on 100. But since there are all sorts of saturation types from clean to gritty it’s not a big problem to me.
Speaking from a subjective perspective obviously.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Now I understand why at first I liked it parallel on Drums but ended up moving it to compress my drum reverb AUX instead, which includes an HPF, where the 'groovy' sound works! Set to 'Finesse' around 20 to 30 works well for me on distorted guitars that had minimal 'ambiance'. Will give it a go on vocals in the next project!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can anyone explain what's the true purpose of this plugin? Is it just to make a single "blurry" track fit in the mix?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromRVA View Post
Now I understand why at first I liked it parallel on Drums but ended up moving it to compress my drum reverb AUX instead, which includes an HPF, where the 'groovy' sound works! Set to 'Finesse' around 20 to 30 works well for me on distorted guitars that had minimal 'ambiance'. Will give it a go on vocals in the next project!
Yeah it will probably sound decent on stuff that already has pretty scatty phase like room mics,reverbs,modulation fx,pads etc,but's a no go on drums,synth/plucked or fretted bass,masters,busses that contain anything with transients

I don't have PD but i am willing to bet if you check the phase response (if it lets you do that) you should see that the phase has a response very close if not identical to that of comb filtering.i can't say that definitely but if i am right about the allpass filter abuse,i am relatively positive that is what you will see

I like them on Synth basses that i intend to distort or mutilate the living daylights out of as all this phase craziness brings out interesting interactions when oscillators or disparate sounds shoved through the same processing e.g REAMP phase cancellation against one another etc.i just layer in the transients and attacks back afterwards so it doesn't get lost in busier sections of the arrangement,otherwise when you mess with allpass filters to this degree and leave them as is,they have a tendency to make everything sound like its behind a veil (really obvious on any kind of speaker,less so on headphones due to the limited motion of the drivers)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Stravinsky View Post
Can anyone explain what's the true purpose of this plugin? Is it just to make a single "blurry" track fit in the mix?
It's supposed to be some kind of exciter/enhancer which i imagine is a combo of Aphex,SPL,BBE tech,but the way its been implemented as you have noticed makes things blurry.not sure what the use is.i only use these things as sound design tools.i'd never use them on the important elements of a mix and master.few people have said they like to run them on their reverb sends etc.your mileage may vary
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
It might be nice to hear people not speculating. Giving opinions about perceived shortcomings is a bit pejorative......
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

You're absolutely right. It messes with phase too much for me to purchase.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search