The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Signal Noise SN06-G Opamp (Win/VST)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #31
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzkar View Post
OK, why not? Some colored lights would look nice and full-fledged peak meters will be useful.
If you going to add peak meters, may I suggest to place them close one to another?

In many plugins like this, Input meter is located at left side of a plugin, output - at right side. It looks aesthetical, but it much easier to compare Input and output levels when both meters are placed close to each other.

How about to lay them horizontally at the bottom of the plugin, instead of placing vertically at left and right edge?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #32
Gear Nut
 
ozzkar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxgvr View Post
From the user point of view:

I open plugin and see two knobs.
I rotate "Drive" knob and get that "WOW, MUCH BETTER, SO 3D, SO JUICY".
I rotate "Output" to compensate volume.

All simple.

But when I see third "Input" knob - I confused. It doing almost same thing as Drive knob. Which one should I use?

I think continious Input knob would be excessive.
Makes sense. That's also the reason why I settled on those pads in the end. Continuous input was just something I contemplated during initial development and then @ Sonic_Beast brought it up, and I was like, "Yeah, I though about it, too!" Well, to keep the internals as they are now and changing just the GUI part makes my life definitely easier. On the other hand, making the input continuous would certainly make the plugin more versatile as the final effect is quite dependent on the strength of input fed into it (no need to use gain knob or tweak the output of previous plugin). I'll mull over it some more.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #33
Gear Nut
 
ozzkar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxgvr View Post
How about to lay them horizontally at the bottom of the plugin, instead of placing vertically at left and right edge?
You are reading my mind
Old 3 weeks ago
  #34
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzkar View Post
Makes sense. That's also the reason why I settled on those pads in the end. Continuous input was just something I contemplated during initial development and then @ Sonic_Beast brought it up, and I was like, "Yeah, I though about it, too!" Well, to keep the internals as they are now and changing just the GUI part makes my life definitely easier. On the other hand, making the input continuous would certainly make the plugin more versatile as the final effect is quite dependent on the strength of input fed into it (no need to use gain knob or tweak the output of previous plugin). I'll mull over it some more.
Solution - is hidden Input knob. Take a look on PSP 2445 reverb plugin. GUI is simple. But when you click on bottom plate - extra controls show up. Or Arturia 3 compressors.

Make a special GUI region. Nothing there until you click on it. Then you click - input knob appears.

OR

Just make Input knob VERY small. Not as control knob, but as screwdriver wheel (or how it called in English).

Look at PSP oldTimer compressor. It has tiny saturation screwdriver controller.

So it does not steal your attention from main controls. You percieve it as an extra thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Signal Noise SN06-G Opamp (Win/VST)-psp_oldtimer2.png   Signal Noise SN06-G Opamp (Win/VST)-cla2a-xlarge-2.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
  #35
Gear Nut
 
ozzkar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxgvr View Post
Just make Input knob VERY small. Not as control knob, but as screwdriver wheel
This! Perfect solution. Why didn't I think of it? Many, many thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
  #36
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzkar View Post
This! Perfect solution. Why didn't I think of it? Many, many thanks
Glad to help!

Ozzkar, how about to emulate sound of famoust API 2520 op-amp in future?

This plugin is very good. You can make a line of saturation plugins like this
Old 3 weeks ago
  #37
Gear Addict
 

Need more range on the output attenuation.its too far off what the input level of the dry sound was when you engage the 10dB pad,making it a pain in the ass to gain stage with
Old 3 weeks ago
  #38
Gear Nut
 
ozzkar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxgvr View Post
Ozzkar, how about to emulate sound of famoust API 2520 op-amp in future?
Well, it has a catch - first I have no access to any HW with such opamp, second SN06 is basically more "an opamp" than "the opamp". Although it's "modeled" after my Moggerfooger, it's not an exact replica. I was just aiming at similar characteristics in terms of distortion and control ranges (which in HW is only one single Drive knob). Also it's not a physical model per se, more a model of the sound (as all my plugins, after all), so, I would be just shooting in the dark and have no clue what difference it would make in the final outcome.

To put it in more simple terms, I'm afraid that when I asses the situation as it is right now, it's waaaay above my head.

Last edited by ozzkar; 3 weeks ago at 09:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 3 weeks ago
  #39
Gear Nut
 
ozzkar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Need more range on the output attenuation.its too far off what the input level of the dry sound was when you engage the 10dB pad,making it a pain in the ass to gain stage with
How much more? Yeah, I noticed that I compensate a lot, too, with whatever follows it, especially if I really push it with whatever is in front. Btw. is there even a need for output to go positive (until now I always ended up in negative numbers)?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #40
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzkar View Post
How much more? Yeah, I noticed that I compensate a lot, too, with whatever follows it, especially if I really push it with whatever is in front. Btw. is there even a need for output to go positive (until now I always ended up in negative numbers)?
Around 5dB should be enough.on this particular plugin yes.i see no need for output attenuation to go positive IMO
Old 3 weeks ago
  #41
Gear Addict
 
Bouroki's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzkar View Post
Also it's not a physical model per se, more a model of the sound (as all my plugins, after all)
I like this approach and it has many merits - makes it more of a "predictable" tool to get a particular sound rather than a shot in the dark hope-for-the-best. That's why your tape plugin is great as well... keep it up
Old 3 weeks ago
  #42
Gear Nut
 
ozzkar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
keep it up
I will
Old 3 weeks ago
  #43
Gear Nut
 
ozzkar's Avatar
SN06/SN06-G Opamp(s) are now version 1.20.

What's new:
  • Improved cross-host text input behavior
  • Improved precision mouse interaction
  • Input trim and Drive are now optionally inverse-linked to output Volume
  • Added I/O peak meters
  • Added GUI-less version
release notes
Old 3 weeks ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzkar View Post
SN06/SN06-G Opamp(s) are now version 1.20.

What's new:
  • Improved cross-host text input behavior
  • Improved precision mouse interaction
  • Input trim and Drive are now optionally inverse-linked to output Volume
  • Added I/O peak meters
  • Added GUI-less version
release notes
Much appreciated! Thank you!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump