The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
JST Howard Benson Vocals
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
I'm sure Joey has his reasons for not doing demos
He does a demo for his Finality limiter (and it's a good limiter too). Dunno why that one gets special treatment, maybe it depends on the dev he uses, I know he's used a few.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Pulled the trigger on this last night and tested for a few hours. For my personal taste, I couldn't find a setting on the compressor (or multiplier) I liked...even on the mildest setting. The grit control on the other hand was very good at thickening a vocal. Width was the standout for me, nice stereo width without any wonky side effects. Time based effects while not as tweakable as some dedicated plugins, sat in the mix well. Overall, a usable set of tools for the toolbox. No buyers remorse here!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin*Gio View Post
Pulled the trigger on this last night and tested for a few hours. For my personal taste, I couldn't find a setting on the compressor (or multiplier) I liked...even on the mildest setting. The grit control on the other hand was very good at thickening a vocal. Width was the standout for me, nice stereo width without any wonky side effects. Time based effects while not as tweakable as some dedicated plugins, sat in the mix well. Overall, a usable set of tools for the toolbox. No buyers remorse here!
So everything but the compressor? Might be worth then as I have probably every compressor on the market. Don't bl need anymore I just want more. Idk still about buying blindly.
Old 4 weeks ago
I was once in that studio, is super cool the vibe there
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

First off, I really enjoyed the review. The song sounded great to start with. Loved the vocalist. And the plugin made things even better. Very useful.

I would be interested to know CPU hit. But you have to appreciate the economy of having most every tool here you'd reach for here in one plug.

I guess the big decider with using something like this is if you also needed some kind of de-es, or a special treatment during one section. There are ways around that, but it's not like we don't have all of these tools separately.

Add to that that many of us try to do parallel bus processing to cut down on CPU hit from plugins. This would make you throw that idea aside. Not the end of the world, but a workflow thing.

This does remind me of CLA Vocals and other producer vocal plugins, which I own and never use. This one actually sounded so much better than the CLA, but I now wonder if it's my user error. When I tried to use it, it often just sounded better treating tracks with separate tools. You want something like this, but then don't trust it.

cheers
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
This does remind me of CLA Vocals and other producer vocal plugins, which I own and never use. This one actually sounded so much better than the CLA, but I now wonder if it's my user error. When I tried to use it, it often just sounded better treating tracks with separate tools. You want something like this, but then don't trust it.
I find plug-ins like that tend to work nicely in addition to other vocal treatment someone might normally do. When trying to use them on their own as the sole processor on a vocal track, it often doesn't cut it, for my tastes anyway.
Old 4 weeks ago
Been tracking drums and other parts on that song i used to make the demo vid, so i had the opportunity to check on cpu usage of the Benson Vocals plug. In Studio One, at 24/48, the Performance Monitor shows the two vocal instances bouncing each around between 17 and 20 (it's worth noting that i record vocals in stereo so there are actually gonna be *slightly* more cpu-intensive than what's typical for most folks). The stereo piano instance is sitting still at 06. I added new instances to a few different mono tracks and they seem to live comfortably at 03 or 04. This is with all the modules on in every case.

It seems that cranking the Multiplier Amount increases the cpu usage more than any other function on the plug, taking a default instance from 03 all the way up to 10. The more the Amount is cranked, the higher the CPU usage.

Also, making adjustments to the compressor cause a two or three point increase in cpu usage, and even when the compressor is set back to default, that increase in cpu usage remains.

No other tweaking seems to make any changes happen in cpu usage. And nothing I did could get any other instances of the plugin to match the vocal tracks' aforementioned 17-20 cpu usage.

For reference, on my system in this same session, the following plugs have the following cpu hits:

Decapitator - 03
Fab Filter Q3 - 00 or 01
Gullfoss - 04
Acustica Purple2 H2 - 05 - 07
Acustica Sand3comp - 10
ACustica titanium3strip - 11-14

So it seems the Benson plug is fairly cycle-hungry.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
That's a great video! Cool seeing how an engineer actually works with all the aspects of what you can bring to bear on a vocal. Great having it all in one place.
Interesting his reactions to the quality of the effects. Well done!...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Thanks for doing this!

The rest of you guys are such whiners... nobody cares whether you’d buy anything without a demo... that’s not what this thread is about... email the dev for chrissakes
I think dev has more respect for bad reviews on so-mi than a single email. I too find it quite arrogant. But maybe I would be more forgiven, if I understood the decision for not providing a demo?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Isn't every Howard Benson vocal you've ever heard a CLA vocal??
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob View Post
Isn't every Howard Benson vocal you've ever heard a CLA vocal??
Exactly, you want Howard Benson’s sound? Well the mixing engineer on pretty much all his hits was CLA.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Thanks for doing this!

The rest of you guys are such whiners... nobody cares whether you’d buy anything without a demo... that’s not what this thread is about... email the dev for chrissakes
In my opinion, the developers are most likely keeping a keen eye on threads like this. Gslutz is a good place for them to find out good and bad feedback, both on a creative and business level. To me bellyaching over the price of a products is certainly a waste of time. You can either afford something or not. But, whether something is $29 or $159 or more, I want to know exactly what it sounds like before committing. I think the video demo is very well done, but it's simply not the same as putting it up on in one's own studio, with the type of day to day production work that someone is typically working on. That's why with hardware you generally get 14 to 30 days to live with it. Since you can't return software, at least offer a demo period.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
I think the video demo is very well done, but it's simply not the same as putting it up on in one's own studio, with the type of day to day production work that someone is typically working on. That's why with hardware you generally get 14 to 30 days to live with it. Since you can't return software, at least offer a demo period.
In some ways I can certainly understand a developers reluctance to offer a demo of a non-iLok plugin, as it is vulnerable to the 'Warez Wizards'. So it is a compromise a small developer had to weigh-up. But you are right - a plugin needs to be heard in a familiar studio set-up, outside of a Youtube demo review.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
In some ways I can certainly understand a developers reluctance to offer a demo of a non-iLok plugin, as it is vulnerable to the 'Warez Wizards'. So it is a compromise a small developer had to weigh-up. But you are right - a plugin needs to be heard in a familiar studio set-up, outside of a Youtube demo review.
I think the Benson Vocals is actually ilok, though. At least, the NFR they sent me is.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
I think the Benson Vocals is actually ilok, though. At least, the NFR they sent me is.
Oh - well that's a bit whack, but it's their business... I'll stay with CLA vocal then, unless their plug is priced to my preference!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Why is it AU$240? Is that just a f#*! you to Australia or has the retail price kicked in?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Nope, just got email that intro price is supposed to be still in effect.
Old 2 weeks ago
One thing I would really like to see developers of these multi-mixing chain plugins, especially those that have built in chorusing, delay, and reverbs, that there is the ability to insert a 3rd party plugin either pre or post eq. For example, adding a de-esser or saturation. Personally I feel pretty "locked in" when using these types of effect chains. An insert would elevate this in a big way.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
One thing I would really like to see developers of these multi-mixing chain plugins, especially those that have built in chorusing, delay, and reverbs, that there is the ability to insert a 3rd party plugin either pre or post eq. For example, adding a de-esser or saturation. Personally I feel pretty "locked in" when using these types of effect chains. An insert would elevate this in a big way.
Yeah, that’s a really cool idea.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search