The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Overloud COMP76 V2
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I think Overloud need to pay more attention to their phrasing in the emails ... the email says: "Free to all registered users!" this can be easily understood as a free product to all Overloud's users whether they own v1 or not.
Lol true ....at least it's to be noticed , Free while not a lot of brands would have done it ....

The good thing also (and way to go) is that it repplaces the other dll so basically reto compatibiloity assured and smooth migration !!

20 / 20 in this case !!! we love to moan at GS but this time hats off for real !!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I edited the parts guyz so you can jump to the part you want also here's a screen shot of the conclusions :

Problems and solutions is about making A/B with other emus and/or HW

No link option (i'm talkin a linked input and output)
Attached Thumbnails
Overloud COMP76 V2-overloud-76-conclusoons.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I edited the parts guyz so you can jump to the part you want also here's a screen shot of the conclusions :

Problems and solutions is about making A/B with other emus and/or HW

No link option (i'm talkin a linked input and output)

lack of resizable UI really disappoint ... today 2020, it is not respectful to 4k/retina users.

and yeah, link option for knobs would be a great solution
Old 2 weeks ago
M2E
Lives for gear

I really like Overloud plugins. They make low cpu plugins that look great and do a great job at saturation.
I think their 1176 version last time was their weak point. This one as well.
I think they might be modeling a unit or some units that are not in the greatest working order.
The 1176LN is thee most popular unit and is a go to for most. When A/Bing it to other emulations, it just doesn't stand up to them.
My favorite that I use is the Slate version, for the low cpu and the option/sounds.
I use the Blue Stripe for vocals. I use the Waves CLA for when I'm cutting vocals for busses as it's low on cpu and gets me a great sound.
I have 9+ version of the 1176 from McDSP, JST, PA (Lindell & Purple), BRA, IK, Kush, DMG etc and the Overloud LN version sounds the worst. To me of course.
I haven't tried their Blue/Grayish stripe yet or the other F version but, not a great start off.
Great idea's ala bottom half having the Rev., Harmonics, Parallel and a 2nd output for a clean digital output (which I think they should name Clean/Digital) letting people know that you can push the top output knob for saturation.
Also great idea about seeing the Harmonic gain in the meter. That's a first.
LS Sens doesn't have a certain freq it high passes off. I don't understand that.
Slate has a button, I'm like what? The Slate one never pumps to me so I never use the HPF button.
Not bothered by the reverse release from the original as others done it too.
I love they put an input knob on this too. Great job!
I wish they would add numeric values so you know where ya at. That adds so much value to the plugin to me at least.
Oversample from none (Which I use 100%) Standard: ? and Ultra: Which is suppose to be "Super Accurate Analog Emulation" and it only takes up 1% to 2% which is great but what is it doing actually to only take up that much cpu?

I'll test more but as of right now, I don't see it. Maybe I'll use the Ultra instead since it's not bad and see if that makes a huge difference.

I'm really hoping that it gets better but right now, the LN version seem dark, boring, unstable as far as tight and punchy as most 1176 were and most emulation are.

#JusMyTake , Marc
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I really like Overloud plugins. They make low cpu plugins that look great and do a great job at saturation.
I think they might be modeling a unit or some units that are not in the greatest working order.
The 1176LN is thee most popular unit and is a go to for most. When A/Bing it to other emulations, it just doesn't stand up to them.
My favorite that I use is the Slate version, for the low cpu and the option/sounds.
I use the Blue Stripe for vocals. I use the Waves CLA for when I'm cutting vocals for busses as it's low on cpu and gets me a great sound.
I have 9+ version of the 1176 from McDSP, JST, PA (Lindell & Purple), BRA, IK, Kush, DMG etc and the Overloud LN version sounds the worst. To me of course.
I haven't tried their Blue/Grayish stripe yet or the other F version but, not a great start off.
Great idea's ala bottom half having the Rev., Harmonics, Parallel and a 2nd output for a clean digital output (which I think they should name Clean/Digital) letting people know that you can push the top output knob for saturation.
LS Sens doesn't have a certain freq it high passes off. I don't understand that.
Slate has a button, I'm like what? The Slate one never pumps to me so I never use the HPF button.
I wish they would add numeric values so you know where ya at. That adds so much value to the plugin to me at least.
Oversample from none (Which I use 100%) Standard: ? and Ultra: Which is suppose to be "Super Accurate Analog Emulation" and it only takes up 1% to 2% which is great but what is it doing actually to only take up that much cpu?

I'll test more but as of right now, I don't see it. Maybe I'll use the Ultra instead since it's not bad and see if that makes a huge difference.

I'm really hoping that it gets better but right now, the LN version seem dark, boring, unstable as far as tight and punchy as most 1176 were and most emulation are.

#JusMyTake , Marc
I strognly disagree his time my friend , and it confirmed my results i felt with V1 witch was the fav in blind test including uad ones !!

I tested 3 beats versus a real HW and i can assure you that this was the closest , i have no interest in saying so , i don t work for overloud , and don t get paid by them lol

I didnt squashed them setting wise and usually i never do , but at setting under 10 db of gr , 4 or 8 in ratios , it was 90 % like the hardware , period , and i would say undiscernable for an untrained ear ...

Will def try to post exemple here , you guyz will judge ...
Old 2 weeks ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
I strognly disagree his time my friend , and it confirmed my results i felt with V1 witch was the fav in blind test including uad ones !!

I tested 3 beats versus a real HW and i can assure you that this was the closest , i have no interest in saying so , i don t work for overloud , and don t get paid by them lol

I didnt squashed them setting wise and usually i never do , but at setting under 10 db of gr , 4 or 8 in ratios , it was 90 % like the hardware , period , and i would say undiscernable for an untrained ear ...

Will def try to post exemple here , you guyz will judge ...
Hey Jeezo, I just put it up against the plugin I had, did some quick A/B'ing and it just didn't stand up to them. Again, that's just my opinion. I 100% respect your opinion and always have.
I love Overloud plugins but, for some reason, not sure why, their 1176 just seems to throw the audio back instead of forward when compressing. Even with their Ultra oversampling.

Could be me. I've been mixing all day but, it seemed so obvious to me right out the gate.

I'll try again tomorrow. Can't wait to hear your test. Also, always love your videos.

Marc
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey Jeezo, I just put it up against the plugin I had, did some quick A/B'ing and it just didn't stand up to them. Again, that's just my opinion. I 100% respect your opinion and always have.
I love Overloud plugins but, for some reason, not sure why, their 1176 just seems to throw the audio back instead of forward when compressing. Even with their Ultra oversampling.

Could be me. I've been mixing all day but, it seemed so obvious to me right out the gate.

I'll try again tomorrow. Can't wait to hear your test. Also, always love your videos.

Marc
In fact with oversampling this feeling will be even more present , the quality of the Gem is exactly this ability to give a precise contour of the sound giving this sens of depth and separation witch can be interpreted as less density / in your face sound .... i say it in the video versus the purple audio witch is the opposite and why somebody should have more than one 1176 itb ...

The HW is able to give both , sound contror and density / in your face sound ...with a fuking groove witch is where the gem got it right , timing from attack to release is for me the closer to HW but not exactly the same settings ...

I know really well that you know your stuff , so i'don't even think what i'm gonna say is needed but might be usefull for reader

Let's note those :

1) Attack versus HW
2) release versus +HW (808 long tail is unforgiving)
3) Groove
4) Soundstage feeling
5) Contour
6) Snap

Now notice as you know me all test were done on beats , no vocals or bass or instrume,nts ect but i heard enougth for my taste

Be sure to play with the harmonics to gain density , oversampling a must in that case cause it you can lose details pretty fast

CONCLUSION : at the end , i'm really happy about the point we have reached those last year , Total ITB work isn't even a debate , it's a reality !!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

It's the only software 76 with GUI fast release =1 instead of 7.

"RELEASE - Sets the time it takes the COMP76 to return to its no gain reduction state. The release time
ranges from 50 milliseconds to 1100 milliseconds with the fastest release time corresponding to
the full counterclockwise position of the knob."
"The original compressor has the Attack control reversed, with
shorter attack times at the full clockwise position. But since it
would be an exception respect to all other compressors, we decided
to preserve compliance."

No wonder the 7 settings sound very not 76.
Old 2 weeks ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnest View Post
It's the only software 76 with GUI fast release =1 instead of 7.

"RELEASE - Sets the time it takes the COMP76 to return to its no gain reduction state. The release time
ranges from 50 milliseconds to 1100 milliseconds with the fastest release time corresponding to
the full counterclockwise position of the knob."

No wonder the 7 settings sound very not 76.
Well, McDSP did it as well on their SST 77 plugin that models the 1176.
I think I have another 1176 plugin that does it as well. Can't remember.

Marc
Old 2 weeks ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
In fact with oversampling this feeling will be even more present , the quality of the Gem is exactly this ability to give a precise contour of the sound giving this sens of depth and separation witch can be interpreted as less density / in your face sound .... i say it in the video versus the purple audio witch is the opposite and why somebody should have more than one 1176 itb ...

The HW is able to give both , sound contror and density / in your face sound ...with a fuking groove witch is where the gem got it right , timing from attack to release is for me the closer to HW but not exactly the same settings ...

I know really well that you know your stuff , so i'don't even think what i'm gonna say is needed but might be usefull for reader

Let's note those :

1) Attack versus HW
2) release versus +HW (808 long tail is unforgiving)
3) Groove
4) Soundstage feeling
5) Contour
6) Snap

Now notice as you know me all test were done on beats , no vocals or bass or instrume,nts ect but i heard enougth for my taste

Be sure to play with the harmonics to gain density , oversampling a must in that case cause it you can lose details pretty fast

CONCLUSION : at the end , i'm really happy about the point we have reached those last year , Total ITB work isn't even a debate , it's a reality !!!
The fact I don't have the hardware in front of me make me not have any feet to stand on in this but, I used them on a lot of songs in the past.
Also, I can't remember his name, he did a 1+1 A/B with the Hardware/Software and no one could tell the difference (Slate). It wasn't Steven but a GS'er.

To be honest, at this point in this day and age, I'm looking for the best feel. What will get me there the quickest and feel the best doing so.
I've used a lot of hardware that was great back in the day but, I've also used some really sucky gear as well.
I have to hear this Hardware piece that they modeled as all the other plugins I have sound close to each other or at least on the same street.
This plugin does not. So I got to hear this Hardware to see how close they modeled it.
To be honest, at this point in my career I know it doesn't matter but now you've peaked my interest so I wanna/gotta see/hear how close they've gotten to the hardware.

Let's do it Jeezo!!!! LOL

Marc
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:

#JusMyTake , Marc
In my humble opinion, no one has come up with an exacting 1176 emulation. That doesn't mean they can't be good tools, but as far as being a genuine 1176, they're not quite there. And I feel the same way about the LA-2A, just not quite there. Which has led me to the realization that I'm going to be adding both an 1176 and LA-2A to the racks, now that there are some outstanding and affordable analog clones.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The fact I don't have the hardware in front of me make me not have any feet to stand on in this but, I used them on a lot of songs in the past.
Also, I can't remember his name, he did a 1+1 A/B with the Hardware/Software and no one could tell the difference (Slate). It wasn't Steven but a GS'er.

To be honest, at this point in this day and age, I'm looking for the best feel. What will get me there the quickest and feel the best doing so.
I've used a lot of hardware that was great back in the day but, I've also used some really sucky gear as well.
I have to hear this Hardware piece that they modeled as all the other plugins I have sound close to each other or at least on the same street.
This plugin does not. So I got to hear this Hardware to see how close they modeled it.
To be honest, at this point in my career I know it doesn't matter but now you've peaked my interest so I wanna/gotta see/hear how close they've gotten to the hardware.

Let's do it Jeezo!!!! LOL

Marc
I picked out the HW in that blind test. I 'failed' with the Mu v HW test, and picked the software :D

I'm hoping London Acoustics make a FET/1176. Their opto (Brighton) is exceptional and beats the **** out of all other opto comps (except TimP's Opto 32). Sent HW back due to that one.

Will do another 1176 HW comparison with VMR and this new 76 V2 I think.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
In my humble opinion, no one has come up with an exacting 1176 emulation. That doesn't mean they can't be good tools, but as far as being a genuine 1176, they're not quite there. And I feel the same way about the LA-2A, just not quite there. Which has led me to the realization that I'm going to be adding both an 1176 and LA-2A to the racks, now that there are some outstanding and affordable analog clones.
It s not like the gap is big , most people won t notice the diff , best ingeeneer don t give a dam like Sheps and Mike Dean , for whom the debate is erralevant ... and i m 100% in phase with that

I do think HW is still key in sound generation recording and the very reason those guyz don t miss a thing in post since the beginning is high quality , witch isn t the case for some cats totally itb .

In one of my blind test i even prefer in one case a plugin ... so at the end what i was trying to see is the claim versus the reality ....
Still i do think plugins needs help with another layout ( saturation , second compressor on buss ect ) to achieve what a 1176?can do in one pass , like i said exeption for few plugins , vsc3 being one of them , arousor being another one .

Last edited by Jeezo; 2 weeks ago at 02:18 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
It s like the gap is big , most people won t notice the diff , best ingeeneer don t give a dam like Sheps and Mike Dean , for whole he debate is erralevent ... and i m 100% in phase with that

I do think HW is still keybin sound generation recording an dthe very reason those guyz don t miss a thing in post since the beginning is high quality , witch isn t the case for some cats totally itb .

In one of my blind test i even prefer in one case a plugin ... so at the end what i was trying to see is the claim versus the reality ....
Still i do think plugins needs help with another layout ( saturation , second compressor on buss ect ) to achieve what a 1176?can do in one pass , like i said exeption for few plugins , vsc3 being one of them , arousor being another one .
I hear ya, at the same time I'm not really debating, I'm stating an opinion. And for the most part, unless I'm working with someone, I take what others say about this subject or anything gear related with a grain of salt. I do my research, I demo it up, and if it's right it gets screwed into the racks or on the digital front installed into my pro tools system.

With all that said, I still have yet to find an 1176 digital clone that out performs its analog inspiration. Whether xyz engineers think differently, well that's called personal preference, and I fully respect that as well. I'm not here trying to convince anyone of anything. Again, like you, I'm stating an opinion.

I remember having a discussion with the owner and equipment designer of a very well known analog and digital tools company. It was interesting to hear him talk about how he felt that no one has really accomplished digital compression as it stands in the analog domain in the digital domain. That's him talking, do I agree, not completely. But I'm not building gear, so perhaps from his point of view, he knows something we don't. For me, I just use my ears. YMMV.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I hear ya, at the same time I'm not really debating, I'm stating an opinion. And for the most part, unless I'm working with someone, I take what others say about this subject or anything gear related with a grain of salt. I do my research, I demo it up, and if it's right it gets screwed into the racks or on the digital front installed into my pro tools system.

With all that said, I still have yet to find an 1176 digital clone that out performs its analog inspiration. Whether xyz engineers think differently, well that's called personal preference, and I fully respect that as well. I'm not here trying to convince anyone of anything. Again, like you, I'm stating an opinion.

I remember having a discussion with the owner and equipment designer of a very well known analog and digital tools company. It was interesting to hear him talk about how he felt that no one has really accomplished digital compression as it stands in the analog domain in the digital domain. That's him talking, do I agree, not completely. But I'm not building gear, so perhaps from his point of view, he knows something we don't. For me, I just use my ears. YMMV.
I hear , but classic gear like Lexicon / eventide or Wess are top notch stuff and digital ....i 'ain't gonna comment your HW guy opinion , it's his point of view , but not at all a fact by those very precise exemples .

Now one thing is sure : WE all , around here keep buying compressor (ITB) this means we still miss some , rigth ? or maybe we're are collector's ? maybe both ?

Still in therapy personnaly ahahah
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Finally had the time to demo this. I'm sorry, but, it's still not there comparing to real HW, UAD 1176 mk2, PA Purple mc77 and Arturia comp-76.

- UAD Rev-A and PA Purple both are way more vibey and exciting than the smoothness of the overloud rev-A.
- Transformer and box-tone sound (no GR) UAD rev-A and PA purple mc77 taking the lead.
- For all-in-buttons trick Purple mc77 & UAD rev-A which are the most vibey and low-end heavy with better depth ... Overloud and Arturia are too smooth for that trick comparing to the formers.
- Smooth levelling (10,2,4 configuration) with low-to-mid GR they all did an excellent job. But with mid-to-high GR UAD rev-AE was the less restrained sounding.

I did use only 3 sound sources which are male vocal, DI bass and drums loop.
tbh I was a bit too lazy to power up the hw 1176.

Please note I'm not saying it is bad. But as someone with many 1176 plugins + 2 hw unit, makes this OL plugin offering nothing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Finally had the time to demo this. I'm sorry, but, it's still not there comparing to real HW, UAD 1176 mk2, PA Purple mc77 and Arturia comp-76.

- UAD Rev-A and PA Purple both are way more vibey and exciting than the smoothness of the overloud rev-A.
- Transformer and box-tone sound (no GR) UAD rev-A and PA purple mc77 taking the lead.
- For all-in-buttons trick Purple mc77 & UAD rev-A which are the most vibey and low-end heavy with better depth ... Overloud and Arturia are too smooth for that trick comparing to the formers.
- Smooth levelling (10,2,4 configuration) with low-to-mid GR they all did an excellent job. But with mid-to-high GR UAD rev-AE was the less restrained sounding.

I did use only 3 sound sources which are male vocal, DI bass and drums loop.
tbh I was a bit too lazy to power up the hw 1176.

Please note I'm not saying it is bad. But as someone with many 1176 plugins + 2 hw unit, makes this OL plugin offering nothing.
Strangely i tested same yesturday including the last UA comps the grand fathers witch i preffered to he rev E. , the arturia has a tone too dark , attack even with lookahead wasn t quite there , still super mojo and beauty full on sourçes like vocals or basses but failed on drums versus the real HW , purple is solid until you push it to much , disotortion start to occus on 808 tales , you have to slower the release to get thing back under control witch the hardware don. T have to do .

I do think some dev use linear release fonctions while i would go more on some anti logarythmic ....depends , that s why i love my mpressor

Also tell me , don t you find that some of those you stated lack grooves versus a real rev D or gem ? The gem isnt perfect , like Marc said , the density /glue part is where for exemple the purple is better , ut the attack/transients handling and groove are on top kf the list imho
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I hear , but classic gear like Lexicon / eventide or Wess are top notch stuff and digital ....i 'ain't gonna comment your HW guy opinion , it's his point of view , but not at all a fact by those very precise exemples .

Now one thing is sure : WE all , around here keep buying compressor (ITB) this means we still miss some , rigth ? or maybe we're are collector's ? maybe both ?

Still in therapy personnaly ahahah
I was definitely keeping my opinions focused on the 1176 emu's. But without question there are some truly classic and modern digital tools that absolutely kill, hardware and plugins. With that said one could start an entire conversation as to which is better, the classic digital hardware or the plugin emulations, and you could add Plate and Spring reverbs to that conversation as well. Personally, I'll leave that to those who care to go there. For me, I'm perfectly fine with my collection of convolutions.

And just to be clear, my opinion about 1176 emu's doesn't mean that they're bad tools per say, just different.

You bring up a very good point, why do we keep trying or buying the same emulation over and over again, LOL. Probably both collectors (addicted) and looking for 1176 nirvana.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I was definitely keeping my opinions focused on the 1176 emu's. But without question there are some truly classic and modern digital tools that absolutely kill, hardware and plugins. With that said one could start an entire conversation as to which is better, the classic digital hardware or the plugin emulations, and you could add Plate and Spring reverbs to that conversation as well. Personally, I'll leave that to those who care to go there. For me, I'm perfectly fine with my collection of convolutions.

And just to be clear, my opinion about 1176 emu's doesn't mean that they're bad tools per say, just different.

You bring up a very good point, why do we keep trying or buying the same emulation over and over again, LOL. Probably both collectors (addicted) and looking for 1176 nirvana.
You rigth , and we used to work and do great with a fraction of what we have here , i had this very same conversation with students yesturday , and i assured them that what s coming with daws nowdayz , we would have been so happy to have it back then and it was more than enougth to get things done at a certain level .

Also those differences are tiny and easily compensated ( talking about the 1176 emus) , usually i have a technic witch i think i created because of this small gap, i compreesss fast settings mastering transients and dynamic like crazy , i fallow this with Elysia nveloppe or equivalent to then shape drums contour to taste , finsihing with something like blackbox or vcl 373 to sat/clip the thing to add that perseption of punch when hitting rednin headroom

With the HW , way less steps usually , but still , workflow wise , plugins are the way to go for me and the way i workd ...

Also taste is very important , but also workflow , the way people produce and sound sources will imply the way the have to deal with problems later on , on my tests , the balance is extreme because i want to knok the comps and still have those accents on drums even after heavy compression , wihile somebody with a smoother balance will go another route ...

Anyway good to see a ythread where we all basically talking the sonic of a plugin ... refreshing no ?
Old 2 weeks ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
To date, I think the Slate is by far the best out. I can tell you that the clones will probably be further away from the actual units than the plugin but to each his own. I'm sure the clones will just add that different analog flavor.

I use to use the LA2A only on vocals back in the day and it was only to record through it. Other than that, I always thought it was too slow for anything else.
Well at least for Hip Hop.
So I don't have the love affair with the LA2A as most. I loved the 1176/78, CL1B (Softube did a horrible job to me from what I remember of that unit), DBX160x and a few others.

JusMyThoughts, Marc
Old 2 weeks ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
I picked out the HW in that blind test. I 'failed' with the Mu v HW test, and picked the software :D

I'm hoping London Acoustics make a FET/1176. Their opto (Brighton) is exceptional and beats the **** out of all other opto comps (except TimP's Opto 32). Sent HW back due to that one.

Will do another 1176 HW comparison with VMR and this new 76 V2 I think.
That MU man, is a beast. Love it.

You should with the Slate version to be honest. Let me know what you hear.
Hell, post some audio. I'd love to hear it and see how close I can get.

Though I'm past my hardware phase (20+ years of it) I still don't mind seeing the differences.
My Amek Pure Path Mic Pre has a bad pot. I have to send it in to get cleaned but has me now trying the Big Knob Mic Pre and I have to say, I'm now dragging my ass getting it fixed. The U87 into the Big Knob pre sounds incredible.
I do miss the compression though on that unit.

Anyway, let me know, Marc
Old 2 weeks ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
It s not like the gap is big , most people won t notice the diff , best ingeeneer don t give a dam like Sheps and Mike Dean , for whom the debate is erralevant ... and i m 100% in phase with that

I do think HW is still key in sound generation recording and the very reason those guyz don t miss a thing in post since the beginning is high quality , witch isn t the case for some cats totally itb .

Hey J, good stuff. Try out Kush's Novation too. That has Fet, Opto, MU etc and what I like about it is it's fat & thick sounding like hardware. Not so much punchy like the others but can be if needed.
Arouser is a beast, love it. VSC3? You mean the harmonic plugin version with PA? I can never get that thing to work like I want. It's on punishment in my unused folder. LOL

Marc
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Or just looking for that moment when one will actually feel like a real one. At this rate that might still take a moment it seems. Like you say, still different tools.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey J, good stuff. Try out Kush's Novation too. That has Fet, Opto, MU etc and what I like about it is it's fat & thick sounding like hardware. Not so much punchy like the others but can be if needed.
Arouser is a beast, love it. VSC3? You mean the harmonic plugin version with PA? I can never get that thing to work like I want. It's on punishment in my unused folder. LOL

Marc
Nah Vertigo VSC 3 comp , you're talking VSM 3 i guess lol this one a beast too but you need to really master it to get the best of it ... but when you need that fast tweak in porudtcion lol i confess it's a pain unless you got preset custom made ...in that case i really dig Philcasde and black box beytter .

Yep novatron was on all master bus of my last album (Lo Fi ) , this thing rock and is still one of my desert island one !!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Strangely i tested same yesturday including the last UA comps the grand fathers witch i preffered to he rev E. , the arturia has a tone too dark , attack even with lookahead wasn t quite there , still super mojo and beauty full on sourçes like vocals or basses but failed on drums versus the real HW , purple is solid until you push it to much , disotortion start to occus on 808 tales , you have to slower the release to get thing back under control witch the hardware don. T have to do .

I do think some dev use linear release fonctions while i would go more on some anti logarythmic ....depends , that s why i love my mpressor

Also tell me , don t you find that some of those you stated lack grooves versus a real rev D or gem ? The gem isnt perfect , like Marc said , the density /glue part is where for exemple the purple is better , ut the attack/transients handling and groove are on top kf the list imho
I agree about Arturia is dark tone-wise, that's way usually it's not the best for all-in-button IMO. It shines on too-sibilant vocals for example.

The attack/release on the purple not exactly like normal 1176 HW, especially the attack there's some exciting or push in the attack. Also, it's bright and brightens things in an obvious way therefore it doesn't work on already bright sources. But then it's Purple clone of 1176 and not UA/Urei 1176 and I've never used Purple mc77 HW so really can't tell how close the plugin to an original Purple, but the comments on the Purple topic here in GS seems like it's very close at least tone-wise.

Now, for me at least, the most plugin that nails the attack speed and releases characteristics is the UAD mk2.

Regarding the lack of grooves, I'll say the Arutria is the most, also I don't like it when it's pushed, because it goes from clean to all of sudden distorted in not a way that I like.

As I said the Overloud is not really bad, but for me it's not offering something new in the 1176 world especially when someone has already many 1176 plugins. I totally respect if someone prefers it over everything else, it's all personal preference after all .. and the differences aren't night and day anyway and I doubt non-producers/engineers people can tell the difference.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search