The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ANTELOPE Galaxy 64 - New 64ch Intarface (Madi,Thunderbiolt,Dante,Digilink!)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd still like to see an update for Satori. It hasn't had a software update since 2016, despite having a known OSX bug. And now of course, the software and R4S remote doesn't work in Catalina.

Over a year ago I was told it would be fixed "ASAP".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They need to hire RME's driver programmers.

*that's* how to do Driver support correctly.
Old 4 days ago
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
A lot of the nonsense and hijacking is actually from your contined digging and needing to jump in and defend Antelope at every turn and trying to discount other's experiences. I made a joke about MKII coming and the speed of products going to the legacy pile, which seemed to ruffle you, so I posted about my experience for context. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have even brought any of that up. Now it's become a novel.

You're hinting at user error again in my case. It's not. Seriously, just stop. I've documented my issues with Antelope support regarding the launcher issues, and they were verified and fixed in the next update. It's not the cable with the new system FFS. Support got it working. It might have been as simple as the driver being blocked by Catilina, but might have been something else. It was a long remote session. They tried several things. I currently have firmwire and drivers running on mine that you don't have on yours, as they are not released yet to the public. At this point, it's working, I have no complaints about that, as it wasn't a long running problem and support resolved it quickly, which I've clearly stated. I have only postive things to say about that.

Your question about "why am I still using it if it's a pain in my ass" is just insulting. I'm using it because (a) I like it, (b) I spent a lot of hard earned money on it, and (c), I spent a year and a half getting major bugs documented and worked out, so you could come on Gearslutz and tell your positive experiences of no issues (great!), while at the same time, trying to discount the reality that Antelope still has work to do to earn constomer trust back, and that some issues continue to exist for some users. No sh*t that Sweetwater wouldn't divulge any info like that to you!

Stop insinuating that everyone who has issues with Antelope software/hardware don't know what they are doing, and it's their fault. That's not always the case. I remember the conversation with Charlie Clouser here telling about his extremely tech saavy production partner going through his own nightmare with the Goliath and having to ditch it. So while sometimes it certainly is, it's not always a simple case of user error.

People are going to post about their opinions and experiences here, just like you do. I'm sorry that gets your feathers ruffled, but so be it. And your nonsense talk about suing people who voice there experiences is really not doing Antelope any favors.

Yes, enough now. Let's move on please to the Galaxy 64.
He's the ultimate trouble maker, constantly condescending people for their experiences and even opinions. Starts fights by insulting someone, then plays the victim card. It happened to me and it was vicious.. I would just mute if I was you. I just wish GS had an option to mute someone entirely so I wouldn't have to see his posts when quoted.

I appreciate your Antelope story very much, thanks.

On to the interface.. Since I plan HDX at some point, this interface has got my attention..

Is it fanless? If so, then it's *really* got my attention.

Antelope claim they have a system in place that provides flawless latency compensation with HDX, yet someone in this topic is saying it's broken.. I don't know what to believe any more, and 15 thousand plus AUD is too much of a risk to just 'take'. I mean I need to finance that to begin with. I can't just go out and buy one cash.

But I am so impressed with 64 analog on board in one interface.
OTOH it's the first antelope interface to do away with adat which means my 24 a/d via adat would be useless and I like them, I also use them for mic pres.
So..
Not sure..

The Orion HD3 is also interesting and just with on board adat and analog can do 48 analog ins, 2 of those for 96 ins with 2 HDX cards and I'm golden (if it works!).

But there is much about these antelope interfaces I simply don't understand.

- Can you use their in built DSP effects with HDX aax dsp effects for input monitoring?
- How many plugins can they use on each and every model? Which plugins come with which models? How many DSP do each model have? Some have the info, others omit it.

The website is a mess in that regard.

And still, in 2020 I see no modulation FX.. I asked them about this in 2016. That's crazy.. and still just the one reverb choice.

So.. I dunno.. but if i can use their FX *AND* HDX fx somehow for monitoring, then that would be nuts and cover all bases.. I literally have ZERO idea if that's possible.
I also do not understand why on their HD3 they don't offer thunderbolt and HDX so it's low latency for ALL daws. No one really wants USB in 2020 do they? I also never understood why none of their TB interfaces had a daisy chain, until the galaxy. I mean that's just ridiculous.

This is why I can never make up my mind on them.. They confuse me, and I love and hate certain things about them at the same time, and do not want to make another mistake like I did with UA.

I can't even find details on the antelope of the EXACT RTL latency wth and without effects.. it's driving me nuts to find such info. It should be in clear print on their webpage.

EDIT: I can't believe what i am seeing. They seem to finally have 4 modulation effects for sale at reasonable prices, 55 each. I am not seeing a straight up simple chorus but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I still can't find a single RTL spec through the interface's mixer with and without FX. (any of their interfaces).
Oh, and a tape plugin. Hope it sounds great.

Now they just need to add a couple more reverbs and a straight up chorus (maybe they have one in their guitar amps??).

A nice lexicon emulation and an EMT me thinks.

Last edited by TNM; 4 days ago at 07:32 PM.. Reason: modulation fx noticed
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
He's the ultimate trouble maker, constantly condescending people for their experiences and even opinions. Starts fights by insulting someone, then plays the victim card. It happened to me and it was vicious.. I would just mute if I was you. I just wish GS had an option to mute someone entirely so I wouldn't have to see his posts when quoted.

I appreciate your Antelope story very much, thanks.

On to the interface.. Since I plan HDX at some point, this interface has got my attention..

Is it fanless? If so, then it's *really* got my attention.

Antelope claim they have a system in place that provides flawless latency compensation with HDX, yet someone in this topic is saying it's broken.. I don't know what to believe any more, and 15 thousand plus AUD is too much of a risk to just 'take'. I mean I need to finance that to begin with. I can't just go out and buy one cash.

But I am so impressed with 64 analog on board in one interface.
OTOH it's the first antelope interface to do away with adat which means my 24 a/d via adat would be useless and I like them, I also use them for mic pres.
So..
Not sure..

The Orion HD3 is also interesting and just with on board adat and analog can do 48 analog ins, 2 of those for 96 ins with 2 HDX cards and I'm golden (if it works!).

But there is much about these antelope interfaces I simply don't understand.

- Can you use their in built DSP effects with HDX aax dsp effects for input monitoring?
- How many plugins can they use on each and every model? Which plugins come with which models? How many DSP do each model have? Some have the info, others omit it.

The website is a mess in that regard.

And still, in 2020 I see no modulation FX.. I asked them about this in 2016. That's crazy.. and still just the one reverb choice.

So.. I dunno.. but if i can use their FX *AND* HDX fx somehow for monitoring, then that would be nuts and cover all bases.. I literally have ZERO idea if that's possible.
I also do not understand why on their HD3 they don't offer thunderbolt and HDX so it's low latency for ALL daws. No one really wants USB in 2020 do they? I also never understood why none of their TB interfaces had a daisy chain, until the galaxy. I mean that's just ridiculous.

This is why I can never make up my mind on them.. They confuse me, and I love and hate certain things about them at the same time, and do not want to make another mistake like I did with UA.

I can't even find details on the antelope of the EXACT RTL latency wth and without effects.. it's driving me nuts to find such info. It should be in clear print on their webpage.

EDIT: I can't believe what i am seeing. They seem to finally have 4 modulation effects for sale at reasonable prices, 55 each. I am not seeing a straight up simple chorus but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I still can't find a single RTL spec through the interface's mixer with and without FX. (any of their interfaces).
Oh, and a tape plugin. Hope it sounds great.

Now they just need to add a couple more reverbs and a straight up chorus (maybe they have one in their guitar amps??).

A nice lexicon emulation and an EMT me thinks.

I wish I could help. I haven’t used HDX yet with mine. I’m still struggling with MADI over Thunderbolt here.

That’s the dilemma. The hardware is truly fantastic in terms of quality and features. The mixer panel and routing is awesome. Galaxy seems to have kicked it up a notch from the Goliath. Drivers, stability, and compatibility seem to be the consistent unknown with Antelope however.
Old 1 day ago
My silver Orion Studio has been working protest flawlessly for 5 years. I think I had an issue 3 years or so ago that was resolved very quickly. I run it over thunderbolt 2 with ProTools 2019.12. Great sound and much better conversion than my previous RME UFX.
Old 16 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
My silver Orion Studio has been working protest flawlessly for 5 years. I think I had an issue 3 years or so ago that was resolved very quickly. I run it over thunderbolt 2 with ProTools 2019.12. Great sound and much better conversion than my previous RME UFX.
Also using a silver face Orion Studio. Even managed to connect it simultaneously to my MacBook Pro via USB and my iMac via thunderbolt with the ability to control it and play audio from both computers. Probably a weird bug but I certainly ain’t complaining
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
My silver Orion Studio has been working protest for 5 years. I think I had an issue 3 years or so ago that was resolved very quickly. I run it over thunderbolt 2 with ProTools 2019.12. Great sound and much better conversion than my previous RME UFX.
This is your subjective/unscientific opinion.
In this loop test both Orion silver and RME UFX fare equally, ranking respectively 104 and 110 out of 131 interfaces/converters...

Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker

Even super old units like motu 896HD, Apogee Rosetta 800 fare noticeably better.

This rates transparency which is what anyone should be looking for with converters.
(your converters should be as transparent/accurate as possible if you want to deliver mixes that sound like what you're hearing)

Antelope Audio Orion
0.3 dB (L), 0.2 dB (R) Corr Depth: 19,2 dB (L), 20,7 dB (R) Difference*: -39.6 dBFS (L), -40.9 dBFS (R)
RME Fireface UFX
XLR outputs 1-2 to TRS inputs 3-4: 0.8 dB (L), 0.7 dB (R) Corr Depth: 18,5 dB (L), 20,1 dB (R) Difference*: -39.0 dBFS (L), -40.3 dBFS (R)

However Antelope pure 2 fares very well :

Top 10
Lynx Hilo
Merging HAPI
Lynx Aurora (n)
Antelope Pure2
Apogee Symphony I/0 Mk II
Metric Halo LIO-8
Metric Halo ULN-8
MOTU 2408mk3
MOTU 24I/O
Mytek 8 x 192 AD/DA
Old 1 hour ago
TNM
Lives for gear
Thanks Nick, very interesting.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search