The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Announcing Serrano Audio's Vintage 87 Replica Microphone
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Addict

Announcing Serrano Audio's Vintage 87 Replica Microphone

I am truly impressed with so many new interesting products at this year's NAMM.

In this spirit I would like to make a humble contribution and announce the Serrano 87 replica microphone, by Serrano Audio (U.S.A.) www.serranoaudio.com

There are two features to emphasize in the Serrano 87. Our diaphragms, the most important part of the capsule, are made on vintage sputtering machines using platinum at 1 micron thickness. When this is done properly (and stably) it results in that gorgeous sound, tone and timber of an genuine K87 capsule. Our backplates are machined to acute tolerances and going further than just replicating the drilled hole-pattern from the K87. The second feature is our SER-T13 transformer. This transformer was designed specifically for the Serrano 87 and is based on the original BV-13 transformer. After a lot of work we couldn't have asked for a better sounding replica transformer!

The Serrano 87 will begin shipping in March, 2020. The first 25 units are now available for pre-order at $600, to say thank you to early adopters! After 25 units are sold the regular price will be $800.

(sound samples are on the website)

Thank you!

Carlos Serrano
Attached Thumbnails
Announcing Serrano Audio's Vintage 87 Replica Microphone-serrano-87.jpg  

Last edited by cserrano; 4 weeks ago at 09:21 PM..
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cserrano View Post
I am truly impressed with so many new interesting products at this year's NAMM.

In this spirit I would like to make a humble contribution and announce the Serrano 87 replica microphone, by Serrano Audio (U.S.A.) www.serranoaudio.com

There are two features to emphasize in the Serrano 87. Our diaphragms, the most important part of the capsule, are made on vintage sputtering machines using platinum at 1 micron thickness. When this is done properly (and stably) it results in that gorgeous sound, tone and timber of an genuine K87 capsule. Our backplates are machined to acute tolerances and going further than just replicating the drilled hole-pattern from the K87. The second feature is our SER-T13 transformer. This transformer was designed specifically for the Serrano 87 and is based on the original BV-13 transformer. After a lot of work we couldn't have asked for a better sounding replica transformer! *

The Serrano 87 will begin shipping in March, 2020. The first 25 units are now available for pre-order at $600! After 25 units are sold the regular price will be $800.

(sound samples are on the website)

Thank you!

Carlos Serrano
Interesting, will check out the samples and hopefully more shootouts soon to come. May I ask about the asterisk after the word "transformer!" ?
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Interesting, will check out the samples and hopefully more shootouts soon to come. May I ask about the asterisk after the word "transformer!" ?
Heh! That was a typo! Thanks for catching it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heh! That was a typo! Thanks for catching it!
pheeeww, asterisks usually freak me out
Old 4 weeks ago
Authentic vjntage u87 sound?
Old 4 weeks ago
Another 87 clone? Gawd.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I'd put forth the argument that this really is not just another 87 clone. As a fellow slut who lives in the same part of the country as Carlos, I've had the privilege to test out Carlos' mic at a few points throughout the design process. This final design, well, it is flawless.

A lot of 87 clones out there are really fantastic mics. I'm not here to knock any of the other offerings. But when you compare them head to head with an actual Neumann, anyone with a good set of monitors or headphones can hear the differences. (A lot of people talk about the well known Chinese top end quality we have all heard in the low priced options out there, but IMO it is in the mids where a lot of even the higher priced 87 clones sound quite different sound from the original, but that's a topic for another time). The Serrano 87 will successfully go head to head with a vintage Neumann at every area of the frequency spectrum.

Carlos has been working on this mic for a very long time. Why? Because he has literally been unwilling to compromise anything. Every aspect of this mic is top notch. I've never seen someone so committed to uncompromising quality while at the same time being so stubborn to keep the price point so low. I told him several times that based on the sound of this mic I think people would pay a lot more for it, but he was determined to keep the price under 1k. Which he did and then some. I don't even know how many capsules he tried before realizing that none of them would do the trick to serve these two purposes. All the top capsules out there, you name it. He tried them all. None of them met his requirements, so he commissioned a highly skilled engineer to build a custom capsule for his mic, and it really is incredible.

So, although yes there are a lot of 87 clones out there, I don't know that there are any anywhere near this price point that ACTUALLY sound like a vintage Neumann U87. Not to mention hand made in the U.S. with custom U.S. components.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Congrats, looks lovely
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9PointedStar View Post
I'd put forth the argument that this really is not just another 87 clone. As a fellow slut who lives in the same part of the country as Carlos, I've had the privilege to test out Carlos' mic at a few points throughout the design process. This final design, well, it is flawless.

A lot of 87 clones out there are really fantastic mics. I'm not here to knock any of the other offerings. But when you compare them head to head with an actual Neumann, anyone with a good set of monitors or headphones can hear the differences. (A lot of people talk about the well known Chinese top end quality we have all heard in the low priced options out there, but IMO it is in the mids where a lot of even the higher priced 87 clones sound quite different sound from the original, but that's a topic for another time). The Serrano 87 will successfully go head to head with a vintage Neumann at every area of the frequency spectrum.

Carlos has been working on this mic for a very long time. Why? Because he has literally been unwilling to compromise anything. Every aspect of this mic is top notch. I've never seen someone so committed to uncompromising quality while at the same time being so stubborn to keep the price point so low. I told him several times that based on the sound of this mic I think people would pay a lot more for it, but he was determined to keep the price under 1k. Which he did and then some. I don't even know how many capsules he tried before realizing that none of them would do the trick to serve these two purposes. All the top capsules out there, you name it. He tried them all. None of them met his requirements, so he commissioned a highly skilled engineer to build a custom capsule for his mic, and it really is incredible.

So, although yes there are a lot of 87 clones out there, I don't know that there are any anywhere near this price point that ACTUALLY sound like a vintage Neumann U87. Not to mention hand made in the U.S. with custom U.S. components.

9PointedStar, it's been a joy to have been able to test so frequently with you the Serrano 87! Thank you for sharing your perspective with others and for your support!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeluxe View Post
Congrats, looks lovely
Thank you Jimmy!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers View Post
Authentic vjntage u87 sound?
Oh yes!!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Oh yes!!!!
Sound samples are good. Can you share WAV of the audio samples? I'd like to do some technical analysis in my DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWeavers View Post
Sound samples are good. Can you share WAV of the audio samples? I'd like to do some technical analysis in my DAW.
SoundWeavers! Certainly. I'm actually going to be doing some more recording within a week or two and would like to share those files here on GS. I'll let you know when I post them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search