The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb recreates iconic studio's spaces
Old 21 hours ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Anyone compare with some similar type spaces in Altiverb?
I love Altiverb. It's very handy. I've used it more for concert halls because I'm doing a lot of live concert mixing for Blu-Rays, especially lately. But, I was talking to Mark Linett, an engineer who remixed Pet Sounds and did Smile with Brian Wilson among many other things. He worked at Sunset Sound for many years and has some IR he's used with Altiverb and his comment to me after using Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is that it sounds better, more like the real thing and has certain qualities in the trails and the tonal character of it that he liked better than his SS IR in Altiverb.

One of the reasons it sounds different is because there's some physical modeling involved in combination with convolution and other things to get the overall sound. Some of that may be subtle but it all factors in. He was happy with what he was using for years but is even happier now with everything SSSR offers.

This was just in our preliminary phone conversation but I'm doing a proper interview with him next Wednesday at Sunset Sound where he can get into detail about the studio and the plug-in. I don't know if he'll mention what I just said specifically. Maybe. I could at least get him to elaborate on what it is about SSSR that he likes compared to other reverbs of this type (maybe without specifically talking about his Altiverb library unless he wants to).

But, personally, I think it's great to have both plug-ins anyway. For Sunset Sound specifically this is the way to go I would think. It's not going to get any closer because it's an exclusive partnership with the studio to get every aspect great and it's an ongoing thing too. But, for general purpose spaces and verbs, Altiverb is quite useful to have. Maybe also depend on one's budget too of course.
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

This is a pretty fantastic plugin
Old 20 hours ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squids View Post
I love Altiverb. It's very handy. I've used it more for concert halls because I'm doing a lot of live concert mixing for Blu-Rays, especially lately. But, I was talking to Mark Linett, an engineer who remixed Pet Sounds and did Smile with Brian Wilson among many other things. He worked at Sunset Sound for many years and has some IR he's used with Altiverb and his comment to me after using Sunset Sound Studio Reverb is that it sounds better, more like the real thing and has certain qualities in the trails and the tonal character of it that he liked better than his SS IR in Altiverb.

One of the reasons it sounds different is because there's some physical modeling involved in combination with convolution and other things to get the overall sound. Some of that may be subtle but it all factors in. He was happy with what he was using for years but is even happier now with everything SSSR offers.

This was just in our preliminary phone conversation but I'm doing a proper interview with him next Wednesday at Sunset Sound where he can get into detail about the studio and the plug-in. I don't know if he'll mention what I just said specifically. Maybe. I could at least get him to elaborate on what it is about SSSR that he likes compared to other reverbs of this type (maybe without specifically talking about his Altiverb library unless he wants to).

But, personally, I think it's great to have both plug-ins anyway. For Sunset Sound specifically this is the way to go I would think. It's not going to get any closer because it's an exclusive partnership with the studio to get every aspect great and it's an ongoing thing too. But, for general purpose spaces and verbs, Altiverb is quite useful to have. Maybe also depend on one's budget too of course.
To put this in perspective, Mark thought so highly of Altiverb when he was mixing Brian Wilson Presents Smile that he used the IRs of the chambers at Western when the real thing was presumably unavailable.

For him to say that SSSR sounds even better is a major endorsement.
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Maniac

If you're getting Altiverb mainly for the Studio rooms and Chambers, SSSR is the better deal for the money, with a great plates and a spring as a bonus.

If you want all the scoring and post production spaces, etc, Altiverb is still great.(and also has the library of hardware verbs but I think those have been surpassed by now.)
Old 19 hours ago
Here for the gear

Finally had a chance to play with it.

First thing I need to get off my chest: you guys have a quite "comprehensive" installer, to put it in nice words. Seriously, why do we have to download 2gb (including all the T-Racks plugins in demo mode) just to try / buy one plugin? Is that really necessary? I did not find individual installers, please point me to them asap when they are available!

Now to Sunset Studio Sound: really great acoustics. I was very satisfied with the live rooms and the echo chambers in particular. After tweaking and evaluating further, I however found them a bit "sterile". While the basic characteristics of the room sound are there, it doesn't come alive. The sound of the reflections remain the same with each iteration.

I compared to other impulse responses of real room acoustics that I have and I found that while SSSR's acoustics sound superior, both SSSR and the other impulses share that aforementioned sterile / dead characteristics.

Regarding the spring and plate: sounds okay, but I'm settled with better sounding products in that category.

P.S. I hope it's okay to talk frankly, I know IK Multimedia can handle honest customer feedback, right? After all it's just an individual opinion (please users, chime in and share your perspective)
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I had also tried the demo yesterday to check something before I authorized it and it worked well so I'm not sure what's happening in your case. I would recommend hitting up IK Support so they can take a look at your system etc and find what might be getting "tickled" to cause this. Thank you.
Hi Peter-
Been back and forth w/Paul Hudson in Support the last couple days. He was able to ReSet a few things in My Account on his end but without luck.
So, after trying several Install,ReIn,ReAuth,ReDemo, I decided to try Deleting CS.app 1.9 and that's automatically Installed with TR 5.3.0, then installing CS.app 1.8 that I had from 2017. Annnnd, it worked.

So, this is just a friendly FYI for those that still be having issues with CS recognizing any newer products.

OSX 10.11.6

atb,
kjb
AcademyCurve®
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Guru

Guyz , cpu hit here 6- 7% for reference last spring from eventide is 9 , exellent !!!

CPU : validated so far !!

EDIT : for the stupid guy around i counted 32 type of response and i didn't counted phase flips

9 for this plate alone

Will test tomorow for sound !!
Attached Thumbnails
IK Multimedia T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb recreates iconic studio's spaces-ik.jpg  

Last edited by Jeezo; 18 hours ago at 03:17 AM..
Old 18 hours ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtHanson View Post

First thing I need to get off my chest: you guys have a quite "comprehensive" installer, to put it in nice words. Seriously, why do we have to download 2gb (including all the T-Racks plugins in demo mode) just to try / buy one plugin? Is that really necessary? I did not find individual installers, please point me to them asap when they are available!

Now to Sunset Studio Sound: really great acoustics. I was very satisfied with the live rooms and the echo chambers in particular. After tweaking and evaluating further, I however found them a bit "sterile". While the basic characteristics of the room sound are there, it doesn't come alive. The sound of the reflections remain the same with each iteration.

I compared to other impulse responses of real room acoustics that I have and I found that while SSSR's acoustics sound superior, both SSSR and the other impulses share that aforementioned sterile / dead characteristics.

Regarding the spring and plate: sounds okay, but I'm settled with better sounding products in that category.

P.S. I hope it's okay to talk frankly, I know IK Multimedia can handle honest customer feedback, right? After all it's just an individual opinion (please users, chime in and share your perspective)
Hey Burt! Of course! It's all subjective. Personally I LOVE the plates and they're probably the best sounding ones I have... and I've got quite few. But, everyone's got their faves!

I also find they come more alive harmonically than you find in other similar types of reverbs but it depends what we're talking about. I can honestly say that with the Chambers I don't feel there's that much difference if I were to record/mix at the same studio and use the real thing vs. the plug-in. Maybe in some cases and in certain ways but in context of a mix I find it almost indistinguishable. But, for rooms... I think using any plug-in is a compromise compared to all you can do in a real room. So, I just take that for what it is. Something to add to a dry track and see if it does the trick into making you think it was recorded in a great ambient room. Even the ISO booths turned out to be more useful than I thought they would be.

As for your point about the installer, well that's just the way it works currently. All of T-RackS gets updated each time there's a new plug-in in the series and yes you have to download the whole thing to try out one plug-in. That part isn't ideal I agree and it will likely change in the future. It's not a quick thing to change since that's just how it works now. The flip side is that it's incredibly convenient when/if you want to just get the whole shebang T-RackS 5 MAX (plus the ones that came after the bundle like Tape Machines, Leslie and SSSR). When that happens, and it happens more often than you might think because there's over 40 very useful plug-ins in there, then you're just a registration away from it all being activated withOUT having to download a ton of individual plug-ins. So, for THAT guy it's incredibly convenient. It's also really convenient if you want to simply try the other demos because they're right there ready to be used full function for 2 weeks. You can mix an album in that time with a free massive collection of plug-ins. It has its plusses. But... I do understand a bit of the questioning some people have when they just want to download one plug-in to try.

Anyway, I can say that IK doesn't mind people who have criticism or requests. No one should expect to please everyone because it's not going to happen with something as subjective as audio. I think it gets misunderstood sometimes when a company has to combat someone who's being rude or spreading misinformation or making inappropriate defamatory remarks... and that sadly happens on forums, partially because of the anonymity factor and also sometimes because people just want attention or to vent or who knows? You can kind of tell when someone is bashing for sport vs. when they're being sincere and just have their particular tastes. Your comments seem sincere to me and I appreciate reading the feedback.

Peter is the one on line as a rep. I'm more of a behind the scenes guy who also has my own third party sound development company. However, I have the ears of the top brass and when I have time to read forum posts like yours I do listen and think about what to suggest for the future to make as many people happy as possible... knowing that you can't please everyone and, to be fair, a company like IK makes a lot of products besides just this one.
Old 14 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtHanson View Post

Hi Burt,

I can say for a fact that unless it was a jazz recording, or something where the engineer/producer wanted the room to be tame, the rooms were typically moderately to heavily compressed when tracking. This would of course help add that pleasing distortion and can really bring the room to life.

If you haven't tried it, I recommend setting up one of the rooms on an Aux, sending your drum blend to it, then slapping a blueface 1176 on it - don't be shy with that compression! If you have the UA Chandler Zener Limiter plug in, I'd recommend giving that a shot too, or a distressor. Really, any compressor that can recover fast and get a little dirty would do the trick. Then just blend until you're happy, and dont forget to put the kick in your aux mix and play with that. The low end in the room can be a good thing!

Also, blending any funky old mics into the room really helps bring them alive - these would typically be midrangy and distorted via mic pre or compressor, and then they'd be put into the drum room buss while tracking. That's a common tactic to add flavor, so the room would be recorded with a hint of distortion on it. That's how you really get that excitement going.

Just treat the room like you would room mics. It still may not do what you're looking for, but it's worth a try.

Edited because my grammer not reel guud. Also, hello everyone, this was my first GS post!
Old 13 hours ago
Gear Addict

Sounds nice.

I think the main benefit will be if the same plugin framework can be used for other spaces since it seems it could just require new impulses and a few photos.

Also while it's nice to be able to shorten the decay length, it would be nice if it could be increased too (within reason).
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
EXellent B , by the way your logo don t move when scrolling here on ipad , normal ?
No... it’s still a work in progress... curse you for mentioning it lol
Old 11 hours ago
Here for the gear

I thought I'd throw this out there for people to listen to. Here are 2 files, 1 dry and 1 wet. Here's what's interesting about them in relation to this thread:

The dry file is a guitar line, tracked as an overdub in studio 3, right underneath the control room glass shooting toward the back wall - a standard place to set up for guitar overdubs in studio 3. The line is doubled. It was a 60's Gibson 330 played through a Silvertone 1484, with a fuzz pedal going into the amp. I likely blended a 57 + 121 as close mics, and maybe a 67 or 87 a foot or two back. So recorded in studio 3 with close mics, but you get a bit of the room tone in it, it's not totally dead.

I just downloaded the Sunset Sound Studio Reverb tonight and had this song up. So I took that doubled guitar line, and sent it through the studio 3 live room. So the wet is basically adding more of studio 3 to something that was recorded in studio 3. To me it's funny when listening to it, because it sounds the same, but more...

I thought you guys might enjoy it. Please ignore the crappy guitar playing - clearly not edited to the grid.
Attached Files

ChGtr_Doubled_Dry.mp3 (988.1 KB, 901 views)

ChGtr_Doubled_SSRSt3LiveRm_Wet.mp3 (988.1 KB, 910 views)

Old 9 hours ago
Here for the gear

Well, I've officially stayed up too late playing with the plug in. Anywho...here's a single lead guitar from the same tune that I posted the earlier files from. I think I originally mixed this in 2007 in studio 1 at SSR. I just happened to have the stems from that 2007 mix, and I still have a Pro Tools session that will open from then.

Here you have the original stem with some automation on the St1 Chamber reverb return. Also in the stem was what I'm guessing was a Memory man sent from probably buss 13 (one of the 4 busses with a pot send at the top of the st1 console), and returned on a mono console fader, which was then sent through the St1 Chamber in addition to the guitar itself. Only God knows what kind of EQ curve I might have had on that memory man return.

There was a bit of forensics in trying to recreate the guitar EQ ( I just used a 550a plug in like on the console & matched by ear - close enough for govt work). I then sent this via aux into the BBD delay plug in (memory man model that ships with pro tools these days) which preceded the IK MM SSSR plug in on the same channel. Last I put a 550a behind the reverb, as if it was returned onto the console, and I added a notch of 5k shelf to brighten the reverb (it's pretty bright in the stem).

So the tone going into the reverb is not an exact recall - this isn't perfect and clinical, but I thought it was cool to compare. Like I said, the original mix was 13 years ago in studio 1, and today I'm sitting hundreds of miles away recreating it pretty damn closely.

Again, please bear with the clumsy guitaring.
Attached Files
Old 8 hours ago
Cool, thanx for sharing.
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
No... it’s still a work in progress... curse you for mentioning it lol
You re welcome lol
Old 7 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneyetus View Post
Well, I've officially stayed up too late playing with the plug in. Anywho...here's a single lead guitar from the same tune that I posted the earlier files from. I think I originally mixed this in 2007 in studio 1 at SSR. I just happened to have the stems from that 2007 mix, and I still have a Pro Tools session that will open from then.

Here you have the original stem with some automation on the St1 Chamber reverb return. Also in the stem was what I'm guessing was a Memory man sent from probably buss 13 (one of the 4 busses with a pot send at the top of the st1 console), and returned on a mono console fader, which was then sent through the St1 Chamber in addition to the guitar itself. Only God knows what kind of EQ curve I might have had on that memory man return.

There was a bit of forensics in trying to recreate the guitar EQ ( I just used a 550a plug in like on the console & matched by ear - close enough for govt work). I then sent this via aux into the BBD delay plug in (memory man model that ships with pro tools these days) which preceded the IK MM SSSR plug in on the same channel. Last I put a 550a behind the reverb, as if it was returned onto the console, and I added a notch of 5k shelf to brighten the reverb (it's pretty bright in the stem).

So the tone going into the reverb is not an exact recall - this isn't perfect and clinical, but I thought it was cool to compare. Like I said, the original mix was 13 years ago in studio 1, and today I'm sitting hundreds of miles away recreating it pretty damn closely.

Again, please bear with the clumsy guitaring.
This is why i closed session after install and cpu check ( ok i did checked what i was the most curious about : spring , to happily see an akg !!!)i knew if i start i will never finish until morning lol
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

This really is pretty cool indeed.
A character Reverb.
Got the SSSR set up in a Aux send.
Got an Arousor after the SSSR in the Aux send, giving the output from SSSR some serious dirt, with Blend (wet/dry) to taste.
Sending whole stereo mixes to the SSSR aux send.
Not something I do very often but having so much fun doing it to try and get to know the SSSR.
Getting some great results.
Studio 3, Plate 2 and Chamber have given me the most joy so far.
When dialled in properly all of these are great.
Nice control set, all useful, width works well, EQ does the job

Nice work IKM
Old 1 hour ago
Gear Guru
I wish I could play guitar like that!....great samples!......
Old 1 hour ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I wish I could play guitar like that!....great samples!......
Thanks! Was a lot of fun to compare the actual
Chamber to the plug in. I’m pretty amazed at what they accomplished here.
Old 28 minutes ago
So, I thought I'll upload some samples in the context of a mix. Maybe they're useful to someone on the fence.

This is from the latest recording of my own band and NOT the final mix, but I had the raw files lying around at home and did a quick'n' dirty static dry mix that's at least not worlds apart from the actual mix.

We recorded in our newly built studio B which sounds great and tight, but ain't huge and since we tracked live, we didn't use far room mics on the drums. Turns out the recordings came out drier than expected.

Sunset Sound Reverb is the only spatial effect in the session (except for a little Binson delay on the solo guitar), but there are multiple instances of it. For the purpose at hand, I used all of them and a little more than I would use in a real mixing scenario. That said, it's a great example of how natural it still sounds.

So all live rooms, chambers, booths 1 and 3, spring and both plates are in use on individual sends.

One file is the verse which is very sparse, one is the last third of the song with an organ solo, a guitar solo and the final chorus. Listen closely to what happens in the different sections and compare with the dry files (these have zero ambience on it). Pay extra attention to the low end!
Attached Files
Old 4 minutes ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
So, I thought I'll upload some samples in the context of a mix. Maybe they're useful to someone on the fence.

This is from the latest recording of my own band and NOT the final mix, but I had the raw files lying around at home and did a quick'n' dirty static dry mix that's at least not worlds apart from the actual mix.

We recorded in our newly built studio B which sounds great and tight, but ain't huge and since we tracked live, we didn't use far room mics on the drums. Turns out the recordings came out drier than expected.

Sunset Sound Reverb is the only spatial effect in the session (except for a little Binson delay on the solo guitar), but there are multiple instances of it. For the purpose at hand, I used all of them and a little more than I would use in a real mixing scenario. That said, it's a great example of how natural it still sounds.

So all live rooms, chambers, booths 1 and 3, spring and both plates are in use on individual sends.

One file is the verse which is very sparse, one is the last third of the song with an organ solo, a guitar solo and the final chorus. Listen closely to what happens in the different sections and compare with the dry files (these have zero ambience on it). Pay extra attention to the low end!
That's some great music here! Kudos!
Old 4 minutes ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squids View Post
I don't have the Ocean Way UAD plug-in but I'll come around to getting that and the Capitol Chambers because I'm a Gear***** (not just a slut). Also, I worked with Allen Sides at Ocean Way co-creating Ocean Way Drums with my company Sonic Reality years ago. He's brilliant and the sound of that studio was also amazing like Sunset Sound and other studios where my favorite albums were recorded. Capitol too, although I've never actually worked at Capitol. I just went there to visit and got the tour once. I love all of these studios.

But, anyway, here's what I CAN tell you even without hearing the Ocean Way plug-in and playing around with any advanced settings (btw Sunset Sound Studio Reverb does have some cool advanced settings as well). I just stayed up all night with the beta of SSSR (back in the SSSR!!! haha) and stems of songs I've produced on my solo albums and bands I've worked with that were run through all of the chambers, plates and spring at Sunset Sound. I had this done with their engineers so I could A/B individual instrument and vocal tracks to hear how it sounds at the studio vs. with the plug-in. To me, it sounded remarkably identical on everything I've tried so far! So, here's the thing. At least with regard to the chambers, plates and spring which I don't think anyone could tell the difference between the real thing at the studio and the plug-in (and we can even have some fun doing the virtual blindfold test to see who can pick out which is which! Just have to figure out the best way to do that but it'd be a fun thing to do), the most important difference between THIS plug-in and ANY other plug-in like Ocean Way or whatever else that may have impressive specs... the difference is this is the only one that sounds like Sunset Sound! The others sound like other studios.

So far I can definitively say that whatever effort the software developers made between the console modeling and the detailed IR captures the end result is virtually indistinguishable from the real thing when it comes to the real acoustic or acoustic/electric reverbs at the studio. For the chambers and plates alone, to me it's without a doubt worth the price of admission here. Easy for me to say with my biased open affiliation with IK, I know that but still... that IS how I feel. I'd buy it for that price easily. The spring, live rooms and ISO booths are almost like icing on the cake for that price. This is also when you compare to the prices of just the Chambers in a plug-in of other studios (and I'd buy those too even if they cost more).

Now, to do my testing (which I'm doing on my own for the fun, art and science of it and contributing demos for IK to use... but btw no one has asked me or hired me specifically to go to all this trouble doing this stuff. I just want to because it's fun, educational and an awesome privilege to hear what the studio and plug-in sounds like on tracks I've recorded), it was relatively easy to test the returns of the Chambers, Plates and Spring. You just send the dry tracks to it at the studio and record their returns and then send the same dry tracks to the plug-in and compare. That already proved to be spot on for vocals, guitar, piano and drums in my tests. Honestly, I was amazed and thrilled because I'm the sort of guy who would almost buy a real plate and I don't really have the space so... this will do. I love the classic EMT Plate and also the other one, the Echo Plate.

But, what will be a little more difficult and time consuming is testing out the live rooms in an A/B. I recorded some snares in each just to hear that. I also recorded some live vocals in the famous "Jim Morrison vocal booth" (Studio 1 ISO). However, to really do something similar I'd have to record more instruments in all of the studios which will take some time BUT even then there are a few things that would be impossible to really test apples with apples. First, an instrument recorded at least in the live room would have the bleed of the room to a certain extent even in the close mics. So, running THAT through the plug-in would benefit from the bleed of the real thing in that case. You could go to the trouble of playing the same instrument and part in a dry room like an ISO booth AND the Live Room but then the problem would be that you'd hear different timbral differences of two different performances of the instrument so that's not a straight A/B either. Finally, in a real live room you could place the instrument anywhere in the room and get different reflections. There are some things that real life can offer that a plug-in can't BUT... the bigger question to me is whether those nuances are even detectible in a mix. Probably in most cases, or at least depending on the music, it wouldn't be. In other words, the overall sonic color of the rooms of the plug-in processing a pro recording done in a high enough quality space with great microphones should theoretically "do the trick" enough as you're gonna get from a plug-in. You can sprinkle some of that room onto drums recorded say in a dry room and simulate/approximate what it might sound like if you had recorded it at Sunset Sound. But, nail that exactly? Well... I doubt that. But, I doubt that any plug-in would sound just as good as the real thing when it comes to recording say drums in a real acoustic space.

However... hearing is believing. So, that part having not tested it thoroughly yet is still a theory and I'm just sharing my honest opinion. I'm sure many engineers would agree. There's nothing better than putting great mics up in an amazing acoustic space to record a great drummer playing a great sounding drum kit! I have a TON of drum samples that I did with some of the best drummers, engineers and studios in the world and I STILL record live drummers for most of my songs. But... I don't always get to record at a studio as nice as Sunset Sound! And, if I'm recording a drummer in my own studio, the live room is small and pretty dead. There's almost no point even putting up room mics here. So, for that situation I would use Sunset Sound Studio Reverb and try out any of its three live rooms (Studio 1, 2 or 3) to give the drums recorded at my studio some more ambience, body and depth. I'm confident from what I've heard that this would do the trick, especially if I'm on a budget. But, if I did have the budget? I would prefer to just book Sunset Sound and record there. However, I do mainly progressive rock music so there's never the budget! Haha! Back to reality then. I'll use the plug-in to get close on that but SPOT ON for sure with the Chambers, Plates and Spring.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just reporting back for those of you genuinely interested in the first feedback from the plug-in in use.
Since you have extensive knowledge of the original rooms and were involved in the making of the plugin, I am really curious about which rooms/chambers are your favorites for certain instruments and would really appreciate if you could share some thoughts.
Old 3 minutes ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
That's some great music here! Kudos!
Thanx a ton!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search