The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audiority releases L12X - Solid State Amplifier - FREE VST/AU/AAX
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Audiority releases L12X - Solid State Amplifier - FREE VST/AU/AAX

We are happy to introduce to you our newest effect plugin: L12X Solid State Amplfier

L12X is an analog simulation inspired by the Marshall® Lead 12™ solid state amplifier of the late ‘80s.

The original head was an op-amp based amplifier: instead of using tubes or transistors, the op-amp is able to provide a huge amount of gain with very little or no distortion. However, when the amplified signal reaches the voltage applied to power the op-amp, it gets clipped. Marshall engineers exploited that to provide a great sounding amplifier with very few components.

This little solid state head is able to push cabinets up to 4×12 and can easily sound like a JCM™. We modified the original circuit by adding a Contour knob (to get a more scooped tone) and an additional Boost overdrive stage. We also included an integrated Cab Simulator, loaded with a Marshall cabinet IR featuring Celestion V30 cones.

Integrated cabinet provided by Seacow Cabs

Specifications
  • Analog Modelled Solid State Amplifier
  • 2 Channels (Clean/Boost)
  • 3 bands tone stack
  • Contour
  • Integrated Cabinet Simulator
  • Resizable interface
  • No License File required
  • VST2, VST3, AU and AAX (64bit only)
  • OSX and Windows

Price: FREE
Read more: https://www.audiority.com/shop/l12x-...ate-amplifier/

A personal note
I started working on this little amp while studying the properties of operational amplifiers. It's fantastic how this head exploits the opamp's clipping when you drive the signal above their max voltage. What you hear, until you engage Boost Mod, is just the opamp gain stages. Once you trigger Boost Mod, you'll get a warm overdrive made with two series of antiparallel diodes. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Luca
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Awesome! Thank you, what a lovely gift, I'm looking forward to trying this later.

It makes me a bit sad as the Lead 12 was the first amp I ever bought back in the 80s as a teenager and I have no idea what happened to it. At least now I can relive my youth, ha ha!
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

grazie mille
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Grazie Luca per questo bel regalo!

Thanks a lot! Can't wait to see/hear new commercial plugins based on this research.
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Thank you for being such a generous independent developer!
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Maniac

This just made doing demos so much better. The tone of this is so in the wheelhouse of what I've wanted to get from other sims. I can get the sound of 57 on a 12 inch speaker running a Music Man head very easily with this. Bravo.
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Thanks for this gift! Didnt had a Lead but a JCM 900 back in the days. As a total noob i sold them and bought the first line 6 Pod Pro... well... lets see what this gives me. From the video it sounds great!

after checking - this sounds great! very silky, smooth and lovely! even with some angry metal tones. :-D
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks. U
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Thank you, sounds so good.
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Finally got a chance to try this. I thought it would be pretty good but I was wrong... It's fantastic! This is definitely one of those free gifts I would gladly have paid money for. Thank you Luca.

The video from Honest Ampsim Reviews hinted at something even mightier in the works... Truly, I'm excited
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
The video from Honest Ampsim Reviews hinted at something even mightier in the works... Truly, I'm excited
Indeed, can't wait either!
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Sweeeeeetness!
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Nut

Nice sounding amp. Boost Mod is really nice and Contour is fantastic. Really well done. The bottom end is impressive.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thanks a bunch!!! Looking forward to trying it out (along with your Heavy Pedal also)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Try this on kick drums.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

It’s also fantastic on bass!

I absolutely love this plugin...it’s just a great saturation box...and I never can seem to have enough of those
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, check out this nice demo by Leon Todd!

Cheers,
Luca
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi Luca, would you consider a 32 bit/VST2 version?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Hi Luca, would you consider a 32 bit/VST2 version?
I think he only recently dropped support for 32bit so I think a 32bit version is probably never going to happen.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Correct. We stopped producing 32bit versions of our plugins on Jan 2019, due to the upcoming changes between Mac OS and Windows.

Luca
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, cprompt and Luca, for answering.

I will have to use two DAWs; till today, I´ve only been using Pro Tools 9 (32 bits) with vst to rtas wrapper.

Thanks for this nice plug-in.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Thanks for this nice plug-in.
It's a great plugin, isn't it? One of my favourite ampsims, free or paid, and I have a lot of ampsims. I believe even more awesome things are in the works
Old 2 weeks ago
Gee
Lives for gear

Was just playing around with it today. Sounds really nice. Great work! Thanks for the gift!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search