The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oeksound Soothe2
Old 4 weeks ago
  #211
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post

targeting old baby boomers, kids with rich / baby boomer parents, & people with 'real' jobs that make NO MONEY from music.

Obviously the younger generations that want to do it REALISTICALLY for a job will have to re-evaluate their lives.
This is history....nothing new.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #212
Gear Nut
 

Oh yeah, I'm sure a lot of new talent can make it without the help of Oeksound (not because they want to but because they've been priced out of the game). As with anything those born with the silver spoon will always have the upper hand - and new technology can give certain individuals an unfair advantage above others. The poor will just have to do what they've always done and work extra hard to find a way around it. "This is history... nothing new."

And yes, there's always those miserable starving artists that the rest of society treated poorly whilst they were actually alive and only appreciated their words/actions/content once they were dead (or committed suicide). Thank God we still have their wonderful masterpieces tho (even tho they led an unhappy existence on Earth)!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #213
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Oh yeah, I'm sure a lot of new talent can make it without the help of Oeksound (not because they want to but because they've been priced out of the game). As with anything those born with the silver spoon will always have the upper hand - and new technology can give certain individuals an unfair advantage above others. The poor will just have to do what they've always done and work extra hard to find a way around it. "This is history... nothing new."

And yes, there's always those miserable starving artists that the rest of society treated poorly whilst they were actually alive and only appreciated their words/actions/content once they were dead (or committed suicide). Thank God we still have their wonderful masterpieces tho (even tho they led an unhappy existence on Earth)!
If you can't make it as a songwriter, producer, or engineer, it certainly isn't because you do or don't have Soothe2 or any other plugin really.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #214
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
I've been placing Soothe-2 before most of my Compression, but after my own correction, shaping equalizers.

Saying that ... I've also have added a followup EQ after Soothe, as I sometimes find that I can do additional shaping that works nice for the track.

I've not directly tested Sooth following main Compressor processing. As usual, it really depends on what the track is or is not doing. But this is something I will be testing. Mainly to see if Soothe reacts different than Gullfoss ?!?

Maybe we can get some 'official' word to this.
I think they are fundamentally different beasts, my understanding is that Gullfoss is working toward clarity and removing masking frequencies, which could be further buried by compression. Soothe is finding and removing resonances and acoustically harsh tones, which seems like could exist pre or post compression and could be reduced / brought out depending on your settings. I'd say just apply Soothe at the point in the chain where you are hearing the harsh tones you want to remove. At least that is how I am using it. Would be great to hear from the dev tho.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #215
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Oh yeah, I'm sure a lot of new talent can make it without the help of Oeksound (not because they want to but because they've been priced out of the game). As with anything those born with the silver spoon will always have the upper hand - and new technology can give certain individuals an unfair advantage above others. The poor will just have to do what they've always done and work extra hard to find a way around it. "This is history... nothing new."

And yes, there's always those miserable starving artists that the rest of society treated poorly whilst they were actually alive and only appreciated their words/actions/content once they were dead (or committed suicide). Thank God we still have their wonderful masterpieces tho (even tho they led an unhappy existence on Earth)!
So much talk. Silver spoon. Seriously...

Do you think 200$ is priced out.
Should we feel sorry for people in the studio business who can't afford 200$.
Of course we all want all plugins to cost 50$ all the time.

But today you can buy a lot of plugins really cheap, compared to just a few years ago, so I don't get what you are going on about?
Soothe or any plugin or hobby-gear in general is a luxury to own. Its not for granted. They are not sending down Soothe2-license supplies to people in war-zones.

When I was younger and tried to be an artist I never had soothe2 either.
Poor me didn't have money to buy a Gibson for 1600$. Didn't know what a DAW was until 99'.
We had to pay for studio time before we got record deal. You know how much that costs? more than 200$ I promise you
I think you're fine. With or without soothe2 or even soothe1.
concentrate on skills before tools.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #216
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Mods - can we get this back on track perhaps? This is getting silly, we've even had graphs of house prices
Old 4 weeks ago
  #217
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
So much talk. Silver spoon. Seriously...

Do you think 200$ is priced out.
Should we feel sorry for people in the studio business who can't afford 200$.
Of course we all want all plugins to cost 50$ all the time.

But today you can buy a lot of plugins really cheap, compared to just a few years ago, so I don't get what you are going on about?
Soothe or any plugin or hobby-gear in general is a luxury to own. Its not for granted. They are not sending down Soothe2-license supplies to people in war-zones.

When I was younger and tried to be an artist I never had soothe2 either.
Poor me didn't have money to buy a Gibson for 1600$. Didn't know what a DAW was until 99'.
We had to pay for studio time before we got record deal. You know how much that costs? more than 200$ I promise you
I think you're fine. With or without soothe2 or even soothe1.
concentrate on skills before tools.
People are saying that Soothe is a "groundbreaking" "must have" tool, but I guess this is just for the elites because it's also a "luxury" for poor people. It's confusing and contradictory.

There's also a lot of concern for the developer and their "luxury" plugin for the audio elites, but at the same time the people that cannot afford it will be fine "starving" and working "extra jobs" (what was it "paper rounds" or "cutting grass" or something). I'm just at least equally concerned about the people making the music, inc. myself (that again needs millions of Spotify plays just to break-even). If not more concerned for the true musicians lives.

In response to the replies/quotes^

And me personally, still trying to figure out a way to live doing this with a roof over my head that allows me to play music through actual SPEAKERS (I can only use headphones).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #218
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Mods - can we get this back on track perhaps? This is getting silly, we've even had graphs of house prices
Yes in RESPONSE to others comments that are liked many times. Very valid in terms of the "90s" this and that.

But I want to stop this. People keep responding.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #219
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
People are saying that Soothe is a "groundbreaking" "must have" tool, but I guess this is just for the elites because it's also a "luxury" for poor people. It's confusing and contradictory.

There's also a lot of concern for the developer and their "luxury" plugin for the audio elites, but at the same time the people that cannot afford it will be fine "starving" and working "extra jobs" (what was it "paper rounds" or "cutting grass" or something). I'm just at least equally concerned about the people making the music, inc. myself (that again needs millions of Spotify plays just to break-even). If not more concerned for the true musicians lives.

In response to the replies/quotes^

And me personally, still trying to figure out a way to live doing this with a roof over my head that allows me to play music through actual SPEAKERS (I can only use headphones).
What exactly is your point? Are you saying you're entitled to something?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #220
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
what exactly is your point? Are you saying you're entitled to something?
yeah i'm entitled to my opinion
Old 4 weeks ago
  #221
Gear Addict
 

There are people (like myself) saying that they think 200euro is pretty steep for a plugin in today's market, which comparatively, it is. Not saying it is wrong, just expensive for a piece of software that will almost definitely depreciate rapidly. As a potential customer, it is off-putting to an extent.
Then responses to anyone questioning or offering an opinion on the price apparently wanting all of their plugins for $29 or that they are entitled... There are plenty of reasonable prices points between $29 and $200. It isn't either/or.
There is no need for the apparent antagonism and condescension. It is possible to have a reasonable discussion about such things.
It is also strange for people to be so aggressively defensive about wanting to pay more for software that doesn't hold it's value at all.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #222
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
It really has nothing to do with 'entitlement', it is pretty much entirely to do with it being software, and that in today's market, software has very little resale value. You simply can't sell on a piece of software (as a customer) for more than it has historically been on sale. Usually considerably less if you want a quick sale. You buy knowing that you may have to eat the loss.
As an example, I am currently selling an ilok license that retails for $299, for $100 (the historical sale price), and it has not sold in several months. Several people trying to low ball me on that price.

That makes people (like me) very wary of spending 200euro on a single plugin purchase like this one., regardless of my current financial situation. I can afford it, but can I justify it?
The company would see a lot more sales, and hence profit if selling at a $99-$149 price point, because many people are put off by such steep pricing.


I believe that a previous poster is correct. It's only logical that other companies will see the popularity of Soothe and are likely already working on their own version of the same concept, and they will undercut the price (or add it to their monthly subscription for no extra cost) and perhaps even improve on the concept. Time will tell.
iZotope would be my bet, in either Neutron 4 or Ozone 10. Sculptor in Neutron 3 seems to be going in that direction.
A tool like soothe is marketed at people who need it, not people who’ll use it for a bit then try to sell it on.

That’s why you have a demo period.

I can’t recall the last time I wanted to “sell” a plug-in. I buy them to use, and the time they save or the job they do justifies the price.

Personally soothe is well worth it - saves me loads of time and does something I couldn’t easily achieve otherwise.

It’s not expensive, it might just be a lot of money if you don’t really need what it does.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #223
Lives for gear
 

maybe time coming to send some posters to the IGNORE ROOM.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #224
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
A tool like soothe is marketed at people who need it, not people who’ll use it for a bit then try to sell it on.

That’s why you have a demo period.

I can’t recall the last time I wanted to “sell” a plug-in. I buy them to use, and the time they save or the job they do justifies the price.

Personally soothe is well worth it - saves me loads of time and does something I couldn’t easily achieve otherwise.

It’s not expensive, it might just be a lot of money if you don’t really need what it does.
Yeah and no doubt you got into the industry whilst there were still physical CD sales, where people had to buy full albums, or even where 1 song was 1 dollar in iTunes (still better than now).

Today it is 0.0001 per play? But what do you care, you've got your Soothe and you're happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
maybe time coming to send some posters to the IGNORE ROOM.
Yes, that's what is happening > sending certain demographics to the room of IGNORANCE, where it is completely IGNORED that it would take e.g. 2 million plays just to buy Soothe.

Quote:
When Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You broke records on December 24 for the most Spotify streams ever in a single day, at 10.8m streams, it raised questions of who really makes money out of music streaming.

The answer seems to be: Not the musicians.

The much-loved Christmas hit would have purportedly made her label around just US$66,000, to be split with various stakeholders, including Carey.

Spotify paid on average US$0.0038 per stream to unsigned artists in 2015, according to data visualisation experts Information is Beautiful.

In this infographic they attempted to quantify how many streams an unsigned musician would have needed to earn the US minimum monthly wage of US$1260. It turns out you needed 180,000.
But who cares anyway right?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #225
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Yeah and no doubt you got into the industry whilst there were still physical CD sales, where people had to buy full albums, or even where 1 song was 1 dollar in iTunes (still better than now).

Today it is 0.0001 per play? But what do you care, you've got your Soothe and you're happy with it.

Yes, that's what is happening > sending certain demographics to the room of IGNORANCE, where it is completely IGNORED that it would take e.g. 2 million plays just to buy Soothe.



But who cares anyway right?
I hate to contribute to continuing this discussion as it’s already ridiculous but for the sake of correct information, earnings on 1M plays on Spotify are between 4-5K, and almost double that on Apple Music. Each provider has different payout numbers but none are nearly as low as 2M plays being more or less equal to 200 bucks.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #226
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post

there were still physical CD sales, where people had to buy full albums, or even where 1 song was 1 dollar in iTunes (still better than now).

Today it is 0.0001 per play

it would take e.g. 2 million plays just to buy Soothe.

But who cares anyway right?
You're free to select a more lucrative career.

As to if anyone's going to give you sympathy because you resent the current levels of passive income that come in relative to what you feel entitled to when monetizing your art ....no.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #227
Gear Addict
 
PitchSlap's Avatar
 

I think I found a pretty big bug with Reaper.

If both Soothe 1 and 2 interfaces are made visible at the same time Reaper becomes totally unresponsive, no graphics updates or controls register. Playback is still fine and the Soothe GUIs update but a forced close is required since nothing else can be done.

Can anyone confirm? I'm using a paid license of v1 and demo of v2 if that matters. I've reported it to support.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #228
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
I hate to contribute to continuing this discussion as it’s already ridiculous but for the sake of correct information, earnings on 1M plays on Spotify are between 4-5K, and almost double that on Apple Music. Each provider has different payout numbers but none are nearly as low as 2M plays being more or less equal to 200 bucks.
Yes apologies, you're right. It says 0.0032 on average which would be $3200 for 1,000,000 plays (still a lot of plays for 3200) but I guess others are making more/less.

But here it says 0.0001 = 2M plays:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Con...s/td-p/4444025

Quote:
Spotify pays out roughly 0.0001c per play, likely due to the ability to gain listens as listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
You're free to select a more lucrative career.

As to if anyone's going to give you sympathy because you resent the current levels of passive income that come in relative to what you feel entitled to when monetizing your art ....no.
Obviously many are doing this already, despite their passion for music. There is simply no choice, if you're starting out. Sure there's the big acts (labels), but other than that it's part time / hobby - which means even less chance of making it (since the mind is most often forced elsewhere), or rich kids with loads of time, space, and disposable cash to burn.

But I'm not looking for sympathy anyway, the replies have led me to the personal responses.

I'm sure others will jump on board (iZotope?) and offer more reasonable alternatives for people that are e.g. in my situation, which is probably a hell of a lot (amateurs) more than those actually employed (and will grow in number).
Old 4 weeks ago
  #229
So the kid arguing for the devaluing of plugins is also complaining about the barrier of entry our industry faces caused by listeners devaluing the music they enjoy?

J3XS - it is precisely the argument you're making re: lower plugin prices that will now likely prevent you from enjoying a career as an audio professional. If you want jobs in an industry, money needs to flow in that industry. What you're arguing for here in this thread is for less money to flow. You're literally the cause of your own employment problem. You've created your own vicious cycle.

I'm reminded of any number of prospective interns I've met: during the interview process I always ask "what is the last record you bought", and a solid half of them reply "oh, i never buy music" while complaining about the lack of opportunities and the unwillingness of musicians to pay them for audio work.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #230
Gear Addict
 
JTC111's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Yes in RESPONSE to others comments that are liked many times. Very valid in terms of the "90s" this and that.

But I want to stop this. People keep responding.
You aren't acting like you want people to stop. You're responding to every post.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #231
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
So the kid arguing for the devaluing of plugins is also complaining about the barrier of entry our industry faces caused by listeners devaluing the music they enjoy?

J3XS - it is precisely the argument you're making re: lower plugin prices that will now likely prevent you from enjoying a career as an audio professional. If you want jobs in an industry, money needs to flow in that industry. What you're arguing for here in this thread is for less money to flow. You're literally the cause of your own employment problem. You're created your own vicious cycle.

I'm reminded of any number of prospective interns I've met: during the interview process I always ask "what is the last record you bought", and a solid half of them reply "oh, i never buy music" while complaining about the lack of opportunities and the unwillingness of musicians to pay them for audio work.
Well I don't know any industry where the devaluing of tools has hindered the creators?

This isn't housing stock, or precious metals, whereby the value is increased/inflated due to limited [rare] stock.

And surely if there are more creators, there are more sales of tools...

I guess it's subjective, a balance between tools in the hands vs price. And if the listening market has changed forever, so should the audio tools market? I dunno, just guessing.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #232
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
I'm sure others will jump on board (iZotope?) and offer more reasonable alternatives for people that are e.g. in my situation, which is probably a hell of a lot (amateurs) more than those actually employed (and will grow in number).
FYI iZotope already has a similar product functionally to soothe2 called spectral shaper that has been out a while. IMO it’s good and does a great job at cleaning out low and high end resonance and harsh tones. you will probably not like the price either as I think you need to buy ozone 9 to get it which is around 400 I think. I have been meaning to go back and test it against soothe2 now that I have upgraded soothe. Last time I tested it, it seemed like they both were capable of similar results but the user interface on Soothe was so much easier to see what was happening and make adjustments. Spectral Shaper seemed more of a preset based affair.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #233
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC111 View Post
You aren't acting like you want people to stop. You're responding to every post.
I can't stop
Old 4 weeks ago
  #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Well I don't know any industry where the devaluing of tools has hindered the creators?

This isn't housing stock, or precious metals, whereby the value is increased/inflated due to limited [rare] stock.

And surely if there are more creators, there are more sales of tools...

I guess it's subjective, a balance between tools in the hands vs price. And if the listening market has changed forever, so should the audio tools market? I dunno, just guessing.
You argued earlier something to the effect that intangibles aren’t inherently valuable because they can simply be cloned. And that people of lower means should have access to these sorts intangibles because denying them that would be anti-human. That is the same argument that we’ve been hearing from music pirates for decades. It is the very argument that tanked the industry and left you unable to find work.

Except it’s not a serious argument.

I’ll tell you what it is: like most humans, you probably consider yourself a decent person. And also like most humans, you’re probably motivated by selfishness. Those two things create a rather uncomfortable dissonance, and leave you to justify what amounts to basic greed and jealousy (two very normal, human feelings) with these sorts of intellectually-strained hypocrisies. Face it: there’s no “good fight” here. You just want cool stuff and don’t wanna pay for it. Ok, fine. But all this spouting off about humanity and class war is embarrassing, and frankly a waste of time. Be honest with yourself. There are far better things to do than trying to flex this particular intellectual muscle, because it’s a losing point. Go make some music, or better yet, get to a club and see a band and hustle yourself a recording gig. Capture the tracks well enough that you don’t even need a tool like soothe
Old 4 weeks ago
  #235
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
You argued earlier something to the effect that intangibles aren’t inherently valuable because they can simply be cloned. And that people of lower means should have access to these sorts intangibles because denying them that would be anti-human. That is the same argument that we’ve been hearing from music pirates for decades. It is the very argument that tanked the industry and left you unable to find work.

Except it’s not a serious argument.

I’ll tell you what it is: like most humans, you probably consider yourself a decent person. And also like most humans, you’re probably motivated by selfishness. Those two things create a rather uncomfortable dissonance, and leave you to justify what amounts to basic greed and jealousy (two very normal, human feelings) with these sorts of intellectually-strained hypocrisies. Face it: there’s no “good fight” here. You just want cool stuff and don’t wanna pay for it. Ok, fine. But all this spouting off about humanity and class war is embarrassing, and frankly a waste of time. Be honest with yourself. There are far better things to do than trying to flex this particular intellectual muscle, because it’s a losing point. Go make some music, or better yet, get to a club and see a band and hustle yourself a recording gig. Capture the tracks well enough that you don’t even need a tool like soothe
Oeksound aren't "entitled" to NO COMPETITION...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #236
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
The fact that people who bought v1 within 30 days get zero discount is a extremely poor choice. Most companies even extend beyond that. There are plenty of small developers that recognize that being generous to your existing customers is good for long term business. Oeksound is not one of them.
I don’t disagree a grace period wouldn’t be unfair, but those people only spend $50 not $200. They get a 75% discount.

Of course, then you’d get people who owned it 31 days moaning...you can’t ever please everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
By all means let's be not only be grateful for draconian policies but also cheer them on because they are a small company and should not be held to to same standards as larger companies. Rah-Rah-Ziz-Boom-Bah!!

Do most other companies give a free upgrade to a new version to purchasers within 30 days or sometimes longer????
I apologize for not being as groveling grateful as the kool-aid drinkers that are certain Oeksound is God's gift to plugin devs.
Yeah whatever. If you’ve not tried it, why not call it kool aid? I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I don’t personally rave about stuff I don’t rate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Yeah and no doubt you got into the industry whilst there were still physical CD sales, where people had to buy full albums, or even where 1 song was 1 dollar in iTunes (still better than now).

Today it is 0.0001 per play? But what do you care, you've got your Soothe and you're happy with it.

Yes, that's what is happening > sending certain demographics to the room of IGNORANCE, where it is completely IGNORED that it would take e.g. 2 million plays just to buy Soothe.

But who cares anyway right?
I don’t know what Spotify has to do with anything. I started at the bottom in 2001; I’m now lucky enough to still be working in 2020. I get paid more now than I did then; more importantly I’m now in a position to invest in the tools I need.

That’s all it is - a tool. There are other longer winded but cheaper ways to do what soothe does if you can’t justify the expense. If your time is worth it, you invest in the proper tool and you make that back in time saved.

Yes it would be great if every useful software tool were $50. But that wouldn’t work.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #237
Lives for gear
 

Bgrotto has said all that needs to be said on all that isn’t how soothe 2 sounds and how it’s used.

As a loyal Soothe 1 owner, who uses it primarily for honky resonances or brittle high mids, I’m intrigued by the promise of Soothe 2 to solve other types of problems.

It seems like it could handle Bass notes that stick out, and with the side chain handle bleed? How has it expanded your toolkit?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #238
Gear Addict
 
Arcana's Avatar
 

I haven't had a chance to check out the demo yet, but just wondering what people use Soothe 2 for?

I virtually never work with vocals and live drums, so things like sibliance and removing crashes from the snare mic, is not an issue for me.
Gullfoss does an excellent job in evening out my mixes on the stereo bus, so not sure I'd need Soothe 2 there either.

It looks like an excellent tool, so just wanted to see if I'm missing any obvious uses for it?

Is it better at taming bass than Gullfoss for example?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #239
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3XS View Post
Oeksound aren't "entitled" to NO COMPETITION...
Nor do they find themselves in that particularly situation.

Not to mention not a single person here has made that argument.

Last edited by bgrotto; 4 weeks ago at 02:47 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
I haven't had a chance to check out the demo yet, but just wondering what people use Soothe 2 for?

I virtually never work with vocals and live drums, so things like sibliance and removing crashes from the snare mic, is not an issue for me.
Gullfoss does an excellent job in evening out my mixes on the stereo bus, so not sure I'd need Soothe 2 there either.

It looks like an excellent tool, so just wanted to see if I'm missing any obvious uses for it?

Is it better at taming bass than Gullfoss for example?
If you’re working with synths, it can do wonders at evening out lumpy uneven frequency balances. particularly on synths with modulation of some kind, where the modulation might be causing some notes some of the time to jump out.

I used it yesterday on a programmed kick part to reign in some annoying hf tickiness (interestingly, it worked better than spiff...).

And any sort of room mic can be helped if it suffers from acoustic anomalies, especially not that soothe is full-range.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump