The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oeksound Soothe2
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It's not just you, it's me too. I tried and failed Soothe 1 and was hoping to change my mind about it this time, but after a couple of hours into the demo I am getting the same sensation as last time. Yes it smoothes stuff. But to me not better than e.g. DSM or even just cutting a couple of thin static eq slivers out, as far as win-lose balance. By the time it really takes out the issues it takes a lot with it that I want to keep.

It does work in a sort of 'one layer of a few' way of course. But even then it takes stuff I want to keep. I really wish I could get more of what I would like from it. Would be amazing to have the experiences that most here are describing. Yes please! Could be user error of course, but there are only so many combinations of how much depth, how wide a q, sensitivity, etc to chose from......
Same here. DSM v2/v3 always achieves resonance removal better for me than Soothe 1. Haven’t tried Soothe 2 yet.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Waves Sibilance is really great. My go to De Esser. Sometimes I use HOFA De Esser or Gullfoss.
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
Same here. DSM v2/v3 always achieves resonance removal better for me than Soothe 1. Haven’t tried Soothe 2 yet.
Are you meaning amplitude reduction for spectral elements which are too loud, or are you meaning actual resonance reduction i.e. overly excited partials/harmonics as they arise. Amplitude reduction is not the same as resonance reduction in many cases.

(I'm not assuming you don't know this already, just asking the question)
Old 14 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggo View Post
Are you meaning amplitude reduction for spectral elements which are too loud, or are you meaning actual resonance reduction i.e. overly excited partials/harmonics as they arise. Amplitude reduction is not the same as resonance reduction in many cases.

(I'm not assuming you don't know this already, just asking the question)
I’m talking about reducing the symptoms/effects of resonance (not the cause of resonance).
I’m using resonance in the sense that most of the posts in this thread use it (search “resonance” or “resonant” in this Soothe thread).
When you say “overly excited partials/harmonics,” what do you mean by “overly excited,” since “overly” is a subjective term?

Last edited by Squeegee 303; 12 hours ago at 08:41 AM..
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. I realise what the potential use situations for this are, I am just not getting results that are winning the 'win - lose' game convincingly. Or any better than with other tools I already have.
I like it but I find that I need to automate the depth control only when needed. I have not upgraded yet though. Same with spiff ... good tools but especially on vocals great caution is advised. But at least it most of the time hunts a moving target easily and saves a bit of time , instead of me hunting and wrestling with something like a mcdsp ae600.
Old 13 hours ago
Gear Addict

Soothe could really benefit from high and low bands like Gulfoss to limit the processing frequency range.

At the moment the only way to really avoid processing a specific range is to use the notch EQ type with a wide band which is cumbersome and unintuitive.
Old 12 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
Soothe could really benefit from high and low bands like Gulfoss to limit the processing frequency range.

At the moment the only way to really avoid processing a specific range is to use the notch EQ type with a wide band which is cumbersome and unintuitive.
Did you try using the Low and Hi SHELFS ?
Old 12 hours ago
TNM
Lives for gear
I have a plugin in my folder from years back I never used, called acon defilter.. and i just found out it's brilliant at removing resonances. Automagically.It's not a dynamic EQ but it works really well. The emphasis filters really allow you to fine tune the range and amount. Anyway, I finally watched an amazing tutorial about the plugin and understood it completely, and it's awesome.
Old 4 hours ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I have a plugin in my folder from years back I never used, called acon defilter.. and i just found out it's brilliant at removing resonances. Automagically.It's not a dynamic EQ but it works really well. The emphasis filters really allow you to fine tune the range and amount. Anyway, I finally watched an amazing tutorial about the plugin and understood it completely, and it's awesome.
Would you mind sharing the link to that tutorial?
Never looked at Acon but you have got me curious. I really tried to like soothe2 but just not getting along with what it does to sounds, especially vocals.
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, if your ears like the results from that one maybe mine will too. Will have to investigate.....
Old 4 hours ago
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for the tip, if your ears like the results from that one maybe mine will too. Will have to investigate.....
Here's the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsKSdA9eu94

It's an auto match EQ but it has a difference in that you don't have to match the whole spectrum, due to the emphasis filters (basically high and low pass with threshold, but you can add points and create your own curves). It's also an "auto" eq based on internal references.

As far as resonances it removes them automatically in auto mode, check it out on the first bass example.

It's dynamically changing as adjusting but the curve it applies is ultimately static.. Otherwise it would have even been a gulfoss competitor, all this time and I had no clue LOL. I had it as part of the Acon premium bundle but was the only effect of theirs I haven't been using.. Till now! I love all the other acon plugins, but will admit I retired acon equaliser for pro Q3, but that's still my second favourite by far.

Soothe may be 100x more powerful, but I can not get results with it, it's as simple as that. I have given up. All the settings that work for others simply do not for me, sadly.
I am still to find convincing examples on youtube either. :(
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsKSdA9eu94

It's an auto match EQ but it has a difference in that you don't have to match the whole spectrum, due to the emphasis filters (basically high and low pass with threshold, but you can add points and create your own curves). It's also an "auto" eq based on internal references.

As far as resonances it removes them automatically in auto mode, check it out on the first bass example.

It's dynamically changing as adjusting but the curve it applies is ultimately static.. Otherwise it would have even been a gulfoss competitor, all this time and I had no clue LOL. I had it as part of the Acon premium bundle but was the only effect of theirs I haven't been using.. Till now! I love all the other acon plugins, but will admit I retired acon equaliser for pro Q3, but that's still my second favourite by far.

Soothe may be 100x more powerful, but I can not get results with it, it's as simple as that. I have given up. All the settings that work for others simply do not for me, sadly.
I am still to find convincing examples on youtube either. :(
If you adjust release setting on v2 to its slowest value you get what amounts to a static reduction quite similar to defilter in certain situations. But you may need an eq after soothe, unsurprisingly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search