The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital Introduce INFINITY EQ
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Hahaha, Let's just put it this way.
The new FG-X II/2 will be out when Apple releases their new Mac Pro Tower.
And we thought Apple took a long time for the new Mac Pro's to come out. LOL

JusSayin, Marc
I think FGX2 had several setbacks as the competition set the bar alot higher since FGX1 came out... stuff like The Softube Weiss native with those newer additional algos etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
24 bands!

Cheers,
Steven
That's very disappointing. I can only work with 25-band EQs. What an evil company you have.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
What the HELL is happening on that intro video on the Slate site?!

I don't want the EQ, but for some reason I really wanna watch Tron now...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

If I get that light show from the promo vid I will mix better. It will inspire me to create a wider palette of sound in order to sculpt my visuals. It will be AMAZING!
Old 1 week ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
That's very disappointing. I can only work with 25-band EQs. What an evil company you have.
I had to stop and think, who would use so many bands, why?
Then I thought, Polka bands.

The new Polka is being innovative with a new Hip Hop low end that needs to be very controlled. So this is why I think 24 bands is needed.

Master Polka Bus EQ'ing - Polka Control

Band 1. 1 HPF around 10hz
Band 2. Another HPF before that is 10hz below (0hz). To make sure nothing gets through and that low end 808 kick they use is tight.
Band 3. Add +2db 48hz to those Polka foot stomps
Band 4. Polka singers have a natural low tone, control around 90hz by dipping -1.3db adds clarity
Band 5. Add back the energy at 100hz but only .75db to offset the big dip
Band 6. Polka guitars are known to reck hell in the 157hz area so do a Q around 1.0 naturally and dip 2.4db or maybe 2.3db if played soft
Band 7. Polka players are using 808 cowbells that are dark so, a little push in the 170hz helps that knock stand out
Band 8. The tuba is known to be a little light in the 211hz area, pushing that a little will give you a splash of overtones and groove
Band 9. The accordion when recorded correctly, has a wine around 273.1hz that is very well known around the Polka band elites ala Jimmy Sturr and Don Peachey style players.
Band 10. Polka style playing can cause left speakers to tweak when strummed hard, so dipping around 292.3hz will gain respect in the polka arenas and save speaker loss.
Band 11. Polka male singers always need 301hz dipped when singing certain overtones and females around 407hz. A Polka secret
Band 12. Polka rhythms really depend on that curvy swinging side stick hitting around 507hz so you have to add 1.17db with a Q around 1.4oct
Band 13. Polka is very known in the US for it's incredible use of 666hz for the 3.8db dip down so it doesn't over bare Polka dancers. They call that the push to hell and back in Polka. All the greats do it
Band 14. If you didn't know, Polka in the UK is very known and it's catching on in Japan as well as one of the biggest markets, for their use in 777hz with a Q around .73 at 5db to hit you in your chest with the hihat overtones but only when real drummers are used. If using the 909 hihat, always push 777.7. They call that pushing up to heaven.
Band 15. Top Polka players always push their instruments to the tilt so, taking aways 945hz to 986hz helps the mid tones of their instruments
Band 16. Polka singers hate when they don't hear that 1.25k in their vocals so when they don't hit that range, mixers are left with the daunting tasks of adding 1.35db in that area
Band 17. Polka just wouldn't be Polka without a push in the 2.67k area. Just helps bring a natural glue
Band 18. Polka male singers pride themselves of being able to naturally dip their vocal tone in a 3.3k range but, if they are having an off day, well, this EQ would be able to nail it. All Polka mixers know this
Band 19. Polka chords are based off of the 4.3k range and they wouldn't have it any other way. They mostly use Neve EQ's but, now they won't need it. Thanks Steven
Band 20. Polka has a secret sauce, and that area is in their 1.5Q with a small dip and I mean small at .32db around 5k. They call it the anti-pop feel and rightfully so
Band 21. Polka has grown in East Asia and they have been adding 7k at 1.2db with a Q around .92. They call it Sheen I call it genius
Band 22. There is no Polka without the feel of 10k High Shelf at 3db. I mean they just won't dance. I mean it
Band 23. It's not known everywhere but, most Polka female singers love their top end vocals drenched in the 12k area due to singing softer than most and this helps them keep pitch easier. Just add 1.3db with a 1.2 Q but no more than that
Band 24. Polka has the cleanest high end of all world wide music we have today and they only record in Fruity Loops since 2004 using 192k audio so, LPF off 43k is a must. They use to use the Massenberg 8200 but, now they can do it all in the box thanks to Steven.

I totally see why 24 bands are needed and I actually think if other genres did these settings, it would not only sound more natural but, it would add the groove back to music.
Please keep in mind, though a little phase shift is applied it only helps the groove and the glue of all the instruments.

NO COMPRESSION NEEDED!!!

Love, Marc

Last edited by M2E; 1 week ago at 06:56 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The new Polka is being innovative with a new Hip Hop low end that needs to be very controlled. So this is why I think 24 bands is needed.
News of this new Slate Infinity EQ might just bring the Schmenge brothers out of retirement!
Old 1 week ago
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Once we add matching features, you guys are going to appreciate all of those bands believe me!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 1 week ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
News of this new Slate Infinity EQ might just bring the Schmenge brothers out of retirement!
Or the Smoothers Brothers. Either one would be a warm welcome.

Marc
Old 6 days ago
I have a feeling this means that they will stop offering the air eq....... if so that would suck....
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsthalion View Post
I have a feeling this means that they will stop offering the air eq....... if so that would suck....
Steven already has said air eq is here to stay. It's not going anywhere.
Old 6 days ago
Awesome!!tnx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
Steven already has said air eq is here to stay. It's not going anywhere.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

*snip*

Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
Will it happen earlier than the FG-X 2 release?

Thanks!
I'm actually wondering if this can dovetail into FGX-2 like Elevate/Izotope folded different components into a finishing suite. Here's hoping!.......
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I'm actually wondering if this can dovetail into FGX-2 like Elevate/Izotope folded different components into a finishing suite. Here's hoping!.......
I'm not so into wishing for FG-X 2 anymore, I used to when wanted true peak limiting, but a true peak limiter when pushed hard kinda of smears things to me. I'm usually barely tapping it at all but when I do push FGX everything still sounds punchy. I do see how TP functionality would would be beneficial for making sure your peaks are below -1 for Spotify (or -2 if your mix is dense). Although TP and a LUFS meter would be cool, FGX as is gets the job done just fine and still sounds great.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Once we add matching features, you guys are going to appreciate all of those bands believe me!
What is the purpose of using this function? No offense, but I never understand who use matching feature in pro mixing.

Also, I think that dynamic eq is a little bit overrated because in modern DAW I can simply use EQ just on a small item if there is a problem frequency in someplace. But nonetheless, when recording is really bad dynamic eq can save time. So I really glad that handy EQ will be included in slate all-access pass. And also I know that Slate always work scrupulously on their products, so I think they will develop it well in the near future and they will surprise us with new cool features for infinite eq.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search