The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance - Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Class A
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Software Plugin Alliance - Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Class A

Available exclusively via Plugin Alliance, and enhanced by Brainworx with patent-pending TMT and more, we are happy to add this plugin to the growing line of Shadow Hills plugins. The Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Class A Limited Edition is one of the most exclusive and powerful compressors ever built. Vintage King released the Class A in 2012, limiting production to only 50 units!

The VCA section is much punchier on this version. Brainworx added even more features to the emulation of the already modded hardware version. The RED version is punchier, faster and more versatile than the GREEN.

With the limited-edition Shadow Hills Industries included an updated Class A discrete compressor section utilizing Lundahl input transformers as well as hand wiring each compressor with Mogami Cable, an important factor when Brainworx Audio modeled one of these limited units as it gave the limited edition version a different character to the original.

During rigorous shoot-out tests against the Shadow Hills Industries Mastering Compressor, our pro audio engineers observed time and time again that the Class A features a smoother compression sound, punchier VCA, a more pronounced sonic dimension and overall larger size and perceived depth. Another interesting difference between the Shadow Hills Industries Mastering Compressor and the Class A version is that with the gain set to identical values on both units, the Class A version clocks in roughly 1 to 3 dBs higher, matching the emulated hardware and as a result, delivering a thicker and richer tone to whatever is running through it.

For this limited edition, Brainworx included its well-known retractable Extra Unit. The BX Extra Unit provides the following features: Brainworx´s TMT (patent pending Tolerance Modeling Technology), MS - processing, Mono-Maker, Stereo Width, Parallel Mix, Sidechain Filter continuously variable 12 dB per octave high pass filter and a Headroom parameter.

Visually, this version can also be distinguished by red LEDs on the front panel versus the green ones found on the Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor. GREEN for the Drum Buss - RED for the Master!

Upgrade for GREEN version owners: If you already own the green Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor you`ll get the new RED edition for $99

Added to the MEGA Bundle at no extra cost.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...ring_comp.html
Old 3 days ago
"Added to the MEGA Bundle at no extra cost"

Awesome!!!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

nice addition to the subscription bundle, bad sadly not enough to entice me to it as an owner of nearly all the PIA plugins I want. Not sure the upgrade price is particularly appealing either - I’d rather wait for a few more plugins to be released and then subscribe.

good to see some older units revisited like this though!
Old 3 days ago
Well apart from a bug in Protools 12/2019, the discrete threshold jump to the max every time I start from the bottom. Other then that it's sounds so freaking good!! Well done guys

edit, reinstalled it, works fine now.
Never been convinced by the previous version, too thin and too far from the hardware that I've own for about 9 years. Really enjoying this one. Tight bottom, interaction between opto and discrete is just as I expect/remember

Last edited by FredFraikin; 3 days ago at 06:33 PM.. Reason: Reinstalled
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Great ! So what used to be a Mastering compressor is now for the drum bus
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

what are the sonic differences with the standard one?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

******Edit****** I ended up 'upgrading' for 49.99, that is through the Vouchers offered.

Provide better upgrade prices. I just bought the standard with a ton of other plugins from plugin alliance. 100 is steep. The same thing happened back when I purchased the ssl emulations.

Last edited by TickTock; 1 day ago at 07:05 PM..
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by denoise View Post
what are the sonic differences with the standard one?
As described by PA : "smoother compression sound, punchier VCA, a more pronounced sonic dimension and overall larger size and perceived depth."
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
As described by PA : "smoother compression sound, punchier VCA, a more pronounced sonic dimension and overall larger size and perceived depth."
Basically hogwash.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Basically hogwash.
Ok
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Is there actually a good reason to upgrade to the new version though? Is it really that much better?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbehrmusic View Post
Is there actually a good reason to upgrade to the new version though? Is it really that much better?
Yes it is!

It's punchier, has more depth and feels better overall.

Not to mention that with TMT it offers more useful sonic nuances.

It feels like it finally lives up to the Shadow Hills name and made me understand why so much people complained about the sound of the first one, even if I liked it a lot.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Crush View Post
So why bother making the first one if you're going to bring out a better version a few months later
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Oh, I see, now it sounds the way it was supposed to sound in the first place.

Sigh. Glad I got the "green" version on big sale, cuz I'm probably going to demo this and love it MOAR.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
So why bother making the first one if you're going to bring out a better version a few months later
First of all, the Shadow Hills plugin has been released in november 2012 on the UAD platform. So 7 years ago. It's the same code used in the native version released in july last year. So, a model that is still 7 years old.

That doesn't make the original one bad, it's still a good compressor and I would keep using it if I couldn't get the Class A version.

The Class A hardware uses different components, that makes it sound better than the original hardware.

So IMHO, there are 2 factors at play here : better components in the hardware that makes it sound better, and next maybe better modeling techniques.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: There was also an exclusivity agreement to keep it a UAD exclusive before bringing it native. Just like with the Vertigo and Millennia plugins I guess.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Pretty cheeky release
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

yeah this craps all over the first one, some nice punch to be had in the midrange, much less muddy overall than the green which is a relief
Old 3 days ago
Demoing it now. I've used the UAD version (same as the green) regularly since it came out 7 years ago. Yes, the new Class A version sounds different than the original green light version. First off, this plugin looks stunning. Great job on the UI, and resizable to boot! And, the look and feel of the metering is much improved.

So far, I've just used it on the master bus in place of the MK1 green one; The new class A sounds warmer. I used to own the Shadow Hills Dual Vandergraph, which is the Discreet VCA portion of the SHMC with iron transformers. The new plugin gives me some of the warmth that I remember when engaging the hardware. However, even though I think the new version is a step forward, the older version still sounds pretty amazing. I think I would happily use both.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
The Shadow Hills 'Green' as its now called was released as exclusive on UAD platform like 3 years ago so its per se not new. Having said that I agree that having it available natively at PA should have been the new improved offering from the start, but, you know, PA have their priorities and are not short on frustrating their loyal customer base.
To me the upgrade cost was too high, should've been half of that. Its likely that they are again just trying to get people to reason that its better to buy the Mega subscription they so desperately want to push.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanelysane View Post
The Shadow Hills 'Green' as its now called was released as exclusive on UAD platform like 3 years ago so its per se not new. Having said that I agree that having it available natively at PA should have been the new improved offering from the start, but, you know, PA have their priorities and are not short on frustrating their loyal customer base.
To me the upgrade cost was too high, should've been half of that. Its likely that they are again just trying to get people to reason that its better to buy the Mega subscription they so desperately want to push.
The original one was released on UAD end 2012, 7 years ago.

Plus they are 2 models of 2 different hardware pieces, with different components.

It's not like this new one is the same thing but improved.
It's a new piece of gear.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
So far I think it sounds a lot like the previous version. The main upgrade for me is the bx section. I’m not really trying to do much gain reduction with it. Hardly ever adjust the thresholds. I’ve never ran any SH plugin at anything resembling aggressive settings.
Old 2 days ago
M2E
Lives for gear

Man, I hate to be "That Guy". LOL

k, so I just took about what I thought was going to be an hour just to see the differences now I'm 3 hours in testing and I'm done.

This is my take and my take alone.

First let me say that I was very excited to see what this new unit was going to bring. I love the way the hardware looks but, would never want one. Just not into hardware anymore.

The software really looks great and after checking out the demo in December, I bought it as I thought it would be a nice added addition to what I have and use.

I started using it but I always found myself over doing it. I always found that I would back down from 2 to 3db of compression to just 1 and maybe 1 1/2 but only in the Optical part.

Anyway, on to what you really wanna know...

This test was done with the new version SHMC (Red lights) on digital as the older version doesn't have the TMT stuff and all the other do dads.
V1 = Old 7 year old plugin
V2 = New Red Light version

Test 1: The differences in the Iron transformer as that's all I use on the unit and it gives a great sound! So to use that, I push the output from the Optical all the way up then the VCA output all the way until distorting then back off a couple/few db. This unit give a great consistent sound and I'll call them Version (V1) or Green as some of you are calling it. and Version 2 (V2) the new Red light one. So before I pushed the VCA output, I A/B'ed them both with just the Optical output (No Compression) into the output Iron transformer and they sounded the same. When adding the VCA output all the way or until distorting, V2 has a lot more headroom so, I had to use the "Headroom" knob to bring it down to match close to the saturation of V1. To me, V1 ala Green lights sounded more open in the highs and the saturation was more even sounding in the lows and highs. V2's sound had a very slight and I mean very slightly more lowend punch but the highs were closed off to me than V1.

Test 2: When pushed even harder from the input into both and backed off on the outputs, V1 just had better saturation and again more consistent and pushed the sound closer more than the new V2 plugin.

Test 3: Backed everything off, and now I wanted to see how the compression alone sounded. As far as the Optical side with 2db of compression, V1 wins as it seems like you have to push V2 a little more to get that compression sound or it's just sounds dull. Again, just my take.

Test 4: VCA side of things with 2 to 3 db of compression and it seems like V2 is better with a better more open lowend. I thought that was a stand out to me and was very interesting.

Test 5: Both Optical and VCA Compression, I liked V1 with both Optical/VCA together. Just sounded better. Can't really explain it. Trust me, I wanted to love this new version so I was extremely surprised.

Test 6: V2 has 32ms delay compensation and V1 has none.

Test 7: V1 CPU uses 2%, V2 CPU uses 6% to 8%.

I couldn't wait to try these both out when I had a moment and this took way longer than I thought it would as I wanted to love V2 so bad but, I'll be completely honest, I don't think it's worth the upgrade. I may get it but, I think I will always reach for V1 when using this unit. Of course, there will be times I may reach for the other but, right now, I'm not sure.
Now, again, that was all in digital mode without TMT, Mono and Stereo width knobs which I always love and wish they had it on the first one. If they did with the Headroom knob, I wouldn't even think of buying this one to be honest. I do love that they do this.
I do wish they would always add a clean input and output knob on the top of the image like they did the Lindell TE-100. That really helps sooooooooo much when using the saturation and compression then level matching without trim plugins etc.

Anyway, I may get it not sure. I'm still weighting the options. Is it worth $49 bucks with my voucher? Or should I wait to see what's coming out as it is Namm time and there is soooooo many new things coming. I think I may wait unless they force my hand like they always do, add another Voucher or something. For $24, I would buy it without thinking. $49, have to think. $99, not interested. I'm not a cheap guy at all as I spend thousands on plugins every year as they are great write offs but I'm slowing down and just picking up stuff I need.

Anyway, I'll be reading this post to see what else is said.

Thanks as always, Marc

Last edited by M2E; 2 days ago at 06:47 AM.. Reason: hours to hour & thaat to that
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

k, so I just took about what I thought was going to be an hour just to see the differences now I'm 3 hours in testing and I'm done.

First let me say that I was very excited to see what this new unit was going to bring. I love the way the hardware looks but, would never want one. Just not into hardware anymore.

The software really looks great and after checking out the demo in December, I bought it as I thought it would be a nice added addition to what I have and use.

I started using it but I always found myself over doing it. I always found that I would back down from 2 to 3db of compression to just 1 and maybe 1 1/2 but only in the Optical part.

This test was done with the new version SHMC (Red lights) on digital as the older version doesn't have the TMT stuff and all the other do dads.

Test 1: The differences in the Iron transformer as that's all I use on the unit and it gives a great sound! So to use that, I push the output from the Optical all the way up then the VCA output all the way until distorting then back off a couple/few db. This unit give a great consistent sound and I'll call them Version (V1) or Green as some of you are calling it. and Version 2 (V2) the new Red light one. So before I pushed the VCA output, I A/B'ed them both with just the Optical output (No Compression) into the output Iron transformer and they sounded the same. When adding the VCA output all the way or until distorting, V2 has a lot more headroom so, I had to use the "Headroom" knob to bring it down to match close to the saturation of V1. To me, V1 ala Green lights sounded more open in the highs and the saturation was more even sounding in the lows and highs. V2's sound had a very slight and I mean very slightly more lowend punch but the highs were closed off to me than V1.

Test 2: When pushed even harder from the input into both and backed off on the outputs, V1 just had better saturation and again more consistent and pushed the sound closer more than the new V2 plugin.

Test 3: Backed everything off, and now I wanted to see how the compression alone sounded. As far as the Optical side with 2db of compression, V1 wins as it seems like you have to push V2 a little more to get that compression sound or it's just sounds dull. Again, just my take.

Test 4: VCA side of things with 2 to 3 db of compression and it seems like V2 is better with a better more open lowend. I thought that was a stand out to me and was very interesting.

Test 5: Both Optical and VCA Compression, I liked V1 with both Optical/VCA together. Just sounded better. Can't really explain it. Trust me, I wanted to love this new version so I was extremely surprised.

I couldn't wait to try these both out when I had a moment and this took way longer than I thought it would as I wanted to love V2 so bad but, I'll be completely honest, I don't think it's worth the upgrade. I may get it but, I think I will always reach for V1 when using this unit. Of course, there will be times I may reach for the other but, right now, I'm not sure.
Now, again, that was all in digital mode without TMT, Mono and Stereo width knobs which I always love and wish they had it on the first one. If they did with the Headroom knob, I wouldn't even think of buying this one to be honest. I do love that they do this.
I do wish they would always add a clean input and output knob on the top of the image like they did the Lindell TE-100. That really helps sooooooooo much when using the saturation and compression then level matching without trim plugins etc.

Anyway, I may get it not sure. I'm still weighting the options. Is it worth $49 bucks with my voucher? Or should I wait to see what's coming out as it is Namm time and there is soooooo many new things coming. I think I may wait unless they force my hand like they always do, add another Voucher or something. For $24, I would buy it without thinking. $49, have to think. $99, not interested. I'm not a cheap guy at all as I spend thousands on plugins every year as they are great write offs but I'm slowing down and just picking up stuff I need.

Thanks as always, Marc
mmm
Just bought it with the 50 dollar voucher off for 49 dollar for the upgrade.
99 was to much for sure.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Anyone else feel it's a bit disingenuous from PA to launch (with the usual hype) V1, then a few months later this updated/better version? They would have been developing this version during that release.

I'd be a bit miffed I'd have paid for V1. Not an issue for subscribers, but some of these tactics are designed to push people that way.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Anyone else feel it's a bit disingenuous from PA to launch (with the usual hype) V1, then a few months later this updated/better version? They would have been developing this version during that release.

I'd be a bit miffed I'd have paid for V1. Not an issue for subscribers, but some of these tactics are designed to push people that way.
I don’t think so... At all.

why wouldn’t they release v1? It’s their IP and was clearly on deck for release as soon as the non-compete with UAD was over... probably on the board before the v2 was even in development... also, it was not a secret that v1 was just a direct port of the existing 7teat old UAD plugin, so, I dunno why anybody would’ve paid full boat for that in native to begin with when considering all the other amazing native comps that have been released in those 7 years...

Secondly, why is it when these devs try to make some money this community starts sh|tting all over them like they’re the bad guys? I don’t recall PA or Dirk releasing an hour long youtube video and over a bad techno music bed talking about he’s just in the game for the vibes and hopes you support his patreon account.

It’s a [email protected] business!

Without a blush of irony some folks here wax on about the devaluation of their corner of the industry... musician, composer, songwriter, studio owner, mixer, ME... and then turn around and try to shame these developers into the same box.

It wasn’t that long ago that you actually had to buy this unit if you wanted this flavor... and then for the longest time only get it ITB by buying into UAD... so, I just don’t get the complaints at all... especially since PA just dropped $49 vouchers to most if not all of us

And finally... the subscription deal is probably best illustrated by PA. Such a deep and diverse catalog and regular releases of new stuff.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post

Thanks as always, Marc
Not tried V2 yet. But you said V1 is more open in the highs, it also has a tendency to produce nasty click artefacts when compressing highly percussive material, the highs will exacerbate these.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
This kinda stuff is why I sometimes start ignoring new products. PA created this huge urgency to buy a bunch of stuff for the holidays. Now they want more money for this new version. A lot of people probably wouldn’t have bought during the holiday if they had known this new one was coming out.

I considered getting stuff during the holiday sale, but the vouchers for the SH and Focusrite came out too late. PA tech support also took days to reset my trial demos on a couple things. Sale was over by the time they did. With this new one, my only option is to pay $179. Didn’t see any other vouchers.

So I did not get a lot last year. Some PA stuff while it was cheap before the mega bundle existed. The VSE2 during a sale. Traded for Duende Bus. Then I waited for the holiday sales. Financed a UAD bundle and got VSR-24 and EQ84.

It can be a real pain dealing with the pressure to test all these things out and decide whether to get them during the intro sale. If you don’t, you’ll be waiting months or years for a similar price. Then there’s always the chance some other new revolutionary product will come along after you’ve spent on the last new release.

If prices are low, we can impulse buy left and right. For a lot of people, maybe it’s better that they don’t buy so many plugins. You could maybe improve your work more by building a 9900k based computer that will enable you to work at higher rates and/or use better combinations of plugins that your current cpu can’t handle.

We can be unhappy about prices, but I don’t think it’s much of a solution. Just don’t buy it. If the market isn’t there, the prices will have to drop. Even UAD is changing. Giving away 4 of their newest and most expensive plugins if you buy a satellite. Companies that charge hundreds for plugins even during sales are extremely rare. Maybe just Cranesong and MAAT. But the Cranesong stuff did go for $150 a couple years back briefly.

Next week some small developer could release something that blows everyone away and costs $50. In that case, subscribing is an asset. One can just drop their sub if they feel they no longer need it. For a lot of us, we already own tons of PA and new releases are the only interest we have in PA. At least they offer a cheaper sub option if one just has to have the new SH right now and doesn’t wanna spend $100+. I wouldn’t mind seeing a $5 a month option for any 2 plugins. Maybe make it exclusive for heavy hitters. A company would have to release some real extraordinary stuff for me to consider spending more than $50 a year on them at this point.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I don’t think so... At all.

why wouldn’t they release v1? It’s their IP and was clearly on deck for release as soon as the non-compete with UAD was over... probably on the board before the v2 was even in development... also, it was not a secret that v1 was just a direct port of the existing 7teat old UAD plugin, so, I dunno why anybody would’ve paid full boat for that in native to begin with when considering all the other amazing native comps that have been released in those 7 years...

Secondly, why is it when these devs try to make some money this community starts sh|tting all over them like they’re the bad guys? I don’t recall PA or Dirk releasing an hour long youtube video and over a bad techno music bed talking about he’s just in the game for the vibes and hopes you support his patreon account.

It’s a [email protected] business!

Without a blush of irony some folks here wax on about the devaluation of their corner of the industry... musician, composer, songwriter, studio owner, mixer, ME... and then turn around and try to shame these developers into the same box.

It wasn’t that long ago that you actually had to buy this unit if you wanted this flavor... and then for the longest time only get it ITB by buying into UAD... so, I just don’t get the complaints at all... especially since PA just dropped $49 vouchers to most if not all of us

And finally... the subscription deal is probably best illustrated by PA. Such a deep and diverse catalog and regular releases of new stuff.
I dont agree but I really enjoyed your point of view. Its not to say you're wrong of course, if anything it illustrates the two sides better, so thanks.

There is the argument that it's a business and we should be supporting businesses that are just doing what businesses should do (in our shared music industry): make money, whether to survive, live comfortably or be able to go to leisurely F1 races
Yet in this instance there are lines and certain codes of ethic that can and should be drawn, certainly vocalised if we all want to celebrate business practices that feel right and respected. Without that feeling of respect it arguably makes us give less and want to in turn take more, just makes us more apathetic perhaps and it doesnt paint a nice communal future. This is in contrast to the feeling of being interested and invested in the brand and its continual development long term, trusting that the brand has your back. Ive just been reading and discussing Kazrog's pre-order announcement of their new compressors True Dynamics and its interesting to see how people support them 'blindly' as its being referred to by some comments, yet they are ok with it because they trust and love what comes out of the brand and their vision (and quality no doubt) This is a good thing even if its not everyone's particular care.

The fact that once you had to buy the hardware so essentially one should be grateful for the meagre extra shelling of $99 for the upgrade sounds to me like one shouldn't complain at all yet someone did shell out what they thought was the best version of the SHMC plugin they could get (Green original version), yet there is no grace period or respect for existing customers who, as other have said, had bought or supported only months prior (while PA were already planning the development and launch of the upgrade). Nearly feels like Grace or not someone is a bit ripped off from this release.

I didnt get $50 voucher so unfortunately your point wouldn't apply to everyone, you see?

Waxing lyrically about plugin devaluation is an interesting one because again I think you'll find that most musicians would be happy to pay $100-$150 for a good solid compressor plugin and perhaps did so when they invested in the Green original - but thats not the issue, you're confusing two separate complaints I think. The timing of the release and its 'upgraded' offer is where the stink comes from. This is not about devaluation and whats the right price for a plugin in today's market.

Here's an interesting one: IF they released an entirely different compressor, significantly different yet it either still carried the Shadow Hills name or a near equivalent brand with some overlap (like an exclusive in house compressor design with Opto and Discrete topology), no one would complain really (hey they'd be over the moon at that price) and PA would gain respect, enthusiasm and naturally I think more money too.

To me their business decisions continually let their customers down, as evidenced by a history of largely 'fair-enough' gripes at certain points along theway. Of course they also take care of their customers at times, very generously (like before the subscriptions stsrted when they gave their customers the rest of the rent-to-own plugins they were paying off).

Hey some of the simplest wisdom on the forums says 'hello?! If you dont like it just move on and dont buy it" but it is interesting to discuss this.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Exactly my situation. Had a big spending spree with PA since November, but I held out on the Shadow hills until 10 days ago. Bought it, and now find this new one appears. If I'd bought it 6 months ago, fair enough, but 10 days before without a grace period...?

I'm currently putting in a complaint for a refund. Not happy.

Last edited by gark; 2 days ago at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Original quote incorrect
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Some people seem to forget that it's a NEW plugin, not an upgrade, and that it models a DIFFERENT unit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search