The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Plugin Alliance - Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor Class A
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
This is the internet. People freak out for everything. They are also much more rude than in real life.

I imagine someone entering Michael Brauer studio, seeing him using the Shadow Hills and saying: I don't trust your work because you use this unit with this awful roll off.
If you consider what I write here as rude - that's your problem not mine. But it's the truth. If I see someone using something that has known issues and blindly ignores them then yeah - I'll call that person out. When I go into a situation I try and know as much about what's going on and the tools so I can ask informed questions about why this and that. There are times I've even gotten the look like 'how does he know that?' I make it my job to question the 'experts' as I don't put up with so-called conventional wisdom.

It's the New Jersey guy in me that does that. We'll call you out. We don't suffer snowflakes gladly.

Yeah - I'd call out Brauer or anyone else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Call them out on what? It has been confirmed by an owner of the HW that there is a rolloff with the opto engaged.

It's up to you whether you like/use it or not.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
If you consider what I write here as rude - that's your problem not mine. But it's the truth. If I see someone using something that has known issues and blindly ignores them then yeah - I'll call that person out. When I go into a situation I try and know as much about what's going on and the tools so I can ask informed questions about why this and that. There are times I've even gotten the look like 'how does he know that?' I make it my job to question the 'experts' as I don't put up with so-called conventional wisdom.

It's the New Jersey guy in me that does that. We'll call you out. We don't suffer snowflakes gladly.

Yeah - I'd call out Brauer or anyone else.
Believe me, being rude is a much bigger problem for you than for anyone else.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Sorry for the ignorance, but I had two questions. 1) How does dual-mono mode actually operate? I understand you can control the left and right independently, but what does that exactly mean? Is the left side only low frequencies while the right side is higher frequencies that are being controlled? (It's strange to me that I've watched over 10+ videos on YouTube, and not one person explains what dual-mono actually does)

2) In regards to the roll-off on the RED unit. Can't you just make that up by putting an EQ after it, and boost that area that was getting cut by the RED unit?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbehrmusic View Post
Sorry for the ignorance, but I had two questions. 1) How does dual-mono mode actually operate? I understand you can control the left and right independently, but what does that exactly mean? Is the left side only low frequencies while the right side is higher frequencies that are being controlled?

2) In regards to the roll-off on the RED unit. Can't you just make that up by putting an EQ after it, and boost that area that was getting cut by the RED unit?
1) You can control both left and right channel independently. In hardware you could use it as 2 mono compressors. But in software that makes not much sens (as far as I know) as you can easily load a new instance on a new channel.

2) Yes, you can adjust it if needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt9 View Post
1) You can control both left and right channel independently. In hardware you could use it as 2 mono compressors. But in software that makes not much sens (as far as I know) as you can easily load a new instance on a new channel.
I still don't understand. Maybe dumb it down for me and pretend I'm in 3rd grade lol...

When put in dual-mono mode, what exactly controls the left and right? So the left side of the plugin, controls the entire mono-signal? So would this turn a stereo-track into mono? Is dual-mono mode only for mono sources (such as a single vocal)?

Also. How do the controls operate in dual-mono? Am I getting the optical and discrete x2? Meaning, 2 compressors on the left, 2 compressors on the right, for a total of 4 stages of compression?

This is really confusing. Or maybe I am just really dumb
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I still don't understand. Maybe dumb it down for me and pretend I'm in 3rd grade lol...

When put in dual-mono mode, what exactly controls the left and right? So the left side of the plugin, controls the entire mono-signal? So would this turn a stereo-track into mono? Is dual-mono mode only for mono sources (such as a single vocal)?
Some like to control left and right channel (of the stereo signal) independently. So the left controls, control the left signal. And the right controls, control the right signal of the stereo signal. For example you have an source that is louder on the left channel ;-)

Quote:

Also. How do the controls operate in dual-mono? Am I getting the optical and discrete x2? Meaning, 2 compressors on the left, 2 compressors on the right, for a total of 4 stages of compression?
Yes exactly!

And when you use it in m/s mode (mid/side) you can control the mono information of a stereo source on the left side if the compressor. And can control the stereo information on the right side of the compressor. But probably better to forget this last part about mid and side for now ;-)
And find it out later what mid/side processing is!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Some like to control left and right channel (of the stereo signal) independently. So the left controls, control the left signal. And the right controls, control the right signal of the stereo signal. For example you have an source that is louder on the left channel ;-)
Oh, this makes more sense! I don't know if I would ever have a use for dual-mono mode. But I would for sure have a use for mide/side mode.

Quote:
And when you use it in m/s mode (mid/side) you can control the mono information of a stereo source on the left side if the compressor. And can control the stereo information on the right side of the compressor.
I am fully aware of what mide/side processing is, don't worry! Another few questions in regards to m/s and the SHMC.

1) Isn't the m/s option only available for the RED version?
2) When m/s is enabled, does the dual-mono switch also have to be enabled for m/s to work? Or will m/s work regardless of if the compressor is on Stereo/Dual-Mono?

Thanks for the help!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Oh, this makes more sense! I don't know if I would ever have a use for dual-mono mode. But I would for sure have a use for mide/side mode.

I am fully aware of what mide/side processing is, don't worry! Another few questions in regards to m/s and the SHMC.

1) Isn't the m/s option only available for the RED version?
2) When m/s is enabled, does the dual-mono switch also have to be enabled for m/s to work? Or will m/s work regardless of if the compressor is on Stereo/Dual-Mono?

Thanks for the help!
1) It is not on the green only on the red version.
2) I would suggest you download the manual .. it is not that long to read ;-)

Your welcome!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Another use for dual-mono is to allow the two sides to work independently from each other--the sides are unlinked, in other words.

Most stereo compressors have both sides working together, which works well on most sources, until you have, say, a really loud sound on one side and not the other, which also kicks in the compression on non-loud side, too. Most of the time sources (ie a mix) aren't unbalanced like that, but sometimes they are. This keeps the stereo image stable.

And finally, with a basically well-balanced mix, but with a lot of stereo information that, say, bounces from the far left and far right, having the sides of the compressor working unlinked in dual mono can create a sense of a wider soundfield.

I'm working on a mix like that right now, a lot of hard panned electro percussion that bounces hard left and right. Dual mono works amazingly for that, with the only caveat being that depending on what the sources are, the frequencies the cover, and how loud they are, it can make the stereo center fall apart.

Does that help clear things up?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeka View Post
Shot out all three (red/green/sknote) and much prefer the sknote. More weight/thickness with the sk as well as no hf loss which I noticed with the red version. The sk lives on my 2 bus.
Just bought the SKNote SDC. Unreal. Dialed in a 2dB of Opto and Discrete GR, opened up the attack a bit, and just instant big, but controlled, with no smeary bottom end.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Compared Red and Green last night. The roll off on Opto of Red was quite obvious. I think I will just bypass it all the time...However I prefer the VCA of Red MUCH more than Green’s. It’s like day and night different to me. I am already sold with just the VCA part and M/S ability.
But damn... I should try SDC before buying the Red...Now I am afraid to try it LOL.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
How does this compare to the SKnote version?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzenoir View Post
Compared Red and Green last night. The roll off on Opto of Red was quite obvious. I think I will just bypass it all the time...However I prefer the VCA of Red MUCH more than Green’s. It’s like day and night different to me. I am already sold with just the VCA part and M/S ability.
But damn... I should try SDC before buying the Red...Now I am afraid to try it LOL.
For me, different hardware and software options both are largely about color, creative possibilities, correction and control. I have UAD's SHMC (= PA's "Green") and it has found its way on many a mix over the years. I'm just now picking up PA's Red "Class A" and am still learning it, but I'm sure it will see plenty of use as well. It's clearly different from Green and I have a feeling that making use of the Opto is largely going to be learning how to not overdo the Opto (f.i., backing off attack / ratio).

I also own SDC and it rocks -doesn't blow "green" or "red" out of the water (and vice versa), but is just one more wonderful tool to have. SKNote makes some awesome and very reasonably priced plugins. I would recommend picking up the SDC and looking through the rest of their catalogue as well!

Last edited by 4fmb; 3 weeks ago at 08:10 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post
Well first of all my clients are happy about my work.Second thing i only use the discrete stage and i assure you there’s no roll off at all.Third thing is not about not hearing the roll-off.I can clearly hear it when i engage the optical-stage.Sometimes on harsh material it can be helpful.But i mainly work at 96 kHz and with the discrete stage only.So no roll-off.Have a good day
Great answer! No one should EVER make snarky references about anyone's professional opinion. Especially a GS wannabee......
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll just say this. I don't own HW. But I have sKnote SDC and I got to say that Mr. Sardo (sKnote, Quinto) and Team with sKnote makes some pretty good products.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'll just say this. I don't own HW. But I have sKnote SDC and I got to say that Mr. Sardo (sKnote, Quinto) and Team with sKnote makes some pretty good products.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
SkNote has gotten a lot better now his website is under control. He is innovative and I don’t mind quirky...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by biksonije View Post
Intrigued by the shadow sknote version after what i read ... the lack of demo is really a bummer imho .... even if it s cheap , at least to check if its working flawless in the set up ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Anyone try this next to AA Aquamarine?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I tried the PA shc class a against the sknote sdc on a master, and my impression was the same. The sknote one sounded wider and more open.
But the PA shc class is more "colored", sounded heavier and maybe a bit more "solid". It seems also to have more control at high gain reduction.
I was amazed at how the iron transformer setting has the same "color" in both plugins.
In the end, I like both plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xadovitch View Post
I tried the PA shc class a against the sknote sdc on a master, and my impression was the same. The sknote one sounded wider and more open.
But the PA shc class is more "colored", sounded heavier and maybe a bit more "solid". It seems also to have more control at high gain reduction.
I was amazed at how the iron transformer setting has the same "color" in both plugins.
In the end, I like both plugins
If only one - which to buy?

Sknote have no demo
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mididim View Post
If only one - which to buy?
If I had to keep only one, I'd probably choose the PA shc (I bought it 49 bucks) for it's nice color and because I have others open sounding bus compressors.
At full price or even half price, I'd never buy the PA plugin. I'd choose the sknote sdc without a doubt

SKnote has no demo but you can ask a refund (in less than 15 days) if you're not happy
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Anyone try this next to AA Aquamarine?
I compared them and I stay with acquamarin, the compression was more natural and less obvious.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I haven't tried anything from Acustica.Audio because they are hungry for strong CPUs which my old Mac Pro lacks.

Regarding sKnote's and PA's Shadow Hills plugins I'd say each one is a bit on it's own. I love both but I use Mr. Sardo's quite often. It's all a matter of what you're used to I guess.

I almost pulled the trigeer now (and I might still on PA SDC) thou it's not like I need it to death!

sKnote's SDC is CPU lightweight and that suits my Dual cheese-grater 2009. Acustica just wouldn't do the trick on that machine.

sKnote's SDC is good and Mr. Sard keeps very afforadble prices and I got to say I love his code and plugins becasue they're simply - great!

Krešo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Intrigued by the shadow sknote version after what i read ... the lack of demo is really a bummer imho .... even if it s cheap , at least to check if its working flawless in the set up ...
Try Mr. Sardo's SDC! Really cheap, super powerful and great. Yeah, no demo but I tell you, the best spent that low amount of cash on super versatile and great compressor. Actually, it's 2 in 1 if you really look at it. I am sure it will give you what you want from that emulation. ;-)

PA is practically the same ****, maybe more polished UI and not that different.

It all looks to me that the whole internet would want Shadow Hills for 9.99 USD. Not gonna happen!

Krešo
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I was mindblown when I heard the same preset in the Red version.

I both have the ‘Green’ and ‘Red’ one. The ‘Green’ one was already fun, but the amount of controls on the ‘Red’ is outstanding.

Personally I do prefer the sound of the ‘Red’ one, it sounds bigger and really tight. For me it will be my to go master compressor, exactly the missing part in my master chain.

The Sknote version just doesn’t fit in my workflow, but maybe that’s just a personal thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

has anybody compared the Vertigo VSC-3 with
the new version of shadow hills mastering compressor ?

The vertigo is a discrete VCA compressor as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
has anybody compared the Vertigo VSC-3 with
the new version of shadow hills mastering compressor ?

The vertigo is a discrete VCA compressor as well.
I have the Vertigo VSC-3 and like it on my everything buss (I run a few busses in parallel).

I have SKNote's SDC and could compare, but I find the SDC an entirely different animal with the opto stage, among other features.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've got the SDC too and have compared it to the original PA, and I also prefer SKNote's version. Especially for that price.

You can get an instant refund within 30 days of buying the SKNote SDC if you don't like it. No questions asked.

That's the demo.

Don't forget to check out the A25 (API 2500) too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search