The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkelly View Post
Angel, with all due respect its hard to tell much from that, and that is not how I ever, ever, test microphones. Your tracks have a register that doesn't reach very low or high, doesn't have any moments of high SPL peaks, or ultra-low detail either, etc. The mic stays in its most moderate zone where the largest number of mics sound extremely close. I can send you a few more mics that could be added to that folder and most people wouldn't be able to even pick out which one was even an 87, let alone the better 87. It also sounds like you have the HPF engaged on the preamp, which surely doesn't help me out.

Many people do not understand that the differences between mics is far more microscopic than what one might otherwise think. The differences between preamps and conversion, even more so. There is more potential variation, most of the time, in the positioning choice, room interaction, and most of all, in the differences of inflection, emphasis, SPL, mood, and tone that occur from take to take, even with the most trained performer. People do not sing the same line exactly, twice, ever, unless they are like at the level of Pavarotti then it starts to come close.

The way I test mics, particularly if I am comparing something to a benchmark, is that I have to have both powered on, set up, live, gain-matched, on identical preamplification, and either a switching system set up or a method of VERY quickly hotswapping my output or headphone cables. And I have to always do this in the analog domain. There is a wealth of fine detail and resolution lost just in the conversion of A/D and D/A again, so I have to do these tests 'live'. I don't say that to start an 'analog vs. digital' discussion or to sound like I'm arguing about formats... dismiss that for the moment; just understand that the most revealing tests for this sort of thing have to be done live at full 'analog' live resolution. no conversion, no formats. We're listening for minutia to begin with, and any such layers begin to strip that minutia. It may be fine for everything else in the world, but not for how I have to do these tests.

Do that, and you'll know what I mean, OK. thanks.
Ok man,nothing personal but I was read 22 rows of blah blah blah .
If you read my post careful,you will understand what I mean.
The two mics was close to 1 mm from each other.The same distance from the singer.The singer was singing just one time only.No second take.The distance from the singer and mics was 20 cm away.
The mics was connected to Silver Bullet preamp(it is dual mono) left channel to Warm the right channel to Neumann.
Then AD was Prism Lyra 1.That's all.
The singer was with his band,three more guys,and they regret that they are spend 3500$ for a Neumann.They even did not notice any difference.
I do,there is a difference,but so small to me just 1-2 %.I can make a 0.5 db at 18 Khz on my hardware Dangerous Bax and voila.Or if need some more lows,just again my Bax at 110 Hz + 0.5 db.
If you choose to spend 3500 it is ok,but I will not.
My studio is 80 000 euro.Maselec MLA 4,MIllennia NSEQ 4,BAX EQ,AVALON 747,SILVER BULLEt,WES DIONE,BETTERMAKER EQ 542,Kahayan 4000.MIllennia HV3,TC rev 4000,Antelope Orion 32,Prism Lyra 1.SPL MIXDREAM,Shadow Hills DV,SSL Bus comp,AML 54f50 stereo,NEVE 542 tape.and so on so on.The acoustics is from GIK at price at 6000 euro(panels and diffusers)The curve of my studio is almost flat.I will attach the fotos below.
VOVOX sonorus cables and POWER VOVOX INITO.UAD QUAD,and so on,so on.
I know what I talking about.
Sorry for my bad english.
Best Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-dsc07640.jpg   Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-82410447_10207143442582442_3055172729142509568_o.jpg   Warm Audio introduces BUS-COMP - Stereo Bus Compressor-sonarworks.jpg  
Old 22nd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
Already happened. I've been watching the STAM MKII thread since about June this year (it was already 11 months old then) as I want to add an SSL style Bus Comp to my set up, so was waiting to see the feedback and review seeing as STAM gear seems to have a near cult following on GS.

Still haven't seen any of the 'early orderers' place a review yet 17 months later... and only seen 1 GS member advise they have received theirs. But there is a brand new one already on Reverb for sale.

So hence I'm more interested in the Warm offering now.
That thread is my only comfort when I remember that I still don't have my compressor. Joshua claims his reproduction of the DBX VCA can is exact and is really unmatched by anything on the market-- basically the closest thing to the comps in the original SSL consoles. He also said in that thread that 5 people he knows who had the current SSL comps (I guess the Xlogic G series?) sold them in favor of his mkII. Again, it begs the question of how the hell do some people have their's while the rest of us are waiting 17 months??!

I just hope that this accuracy matters....just because it's accurate doesn't make it better. If it doesn't beat my Revive modded 7720, I will probably just sell it and get this Warm or the Audioscape.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel72bg View Post
The two mics was close to 1 mm from each other.The same distance from the singer.The singer was singing just one time only.No second take.The distance from the singer and mics was 20 cm away.
The mics was connected to Silver Bullet preamp(it is dual mono) left channel to Warm the right channel to Neumann.
The singer was with his band,three more guys,and they regret that they are spend 3500$ for a Neumann.They even did not notice any difference.
I do,there is a difference,but so small to me just 1-2 %.I can make a 0.5 db at 18 Khz on my hardware Dangerous Bax and voila.Or if need some more lows,just again my Bax at 110 Hz + 0.5 db.
My studio is 80 000 euro.Maselec MLA 4,MIllennia NSEQ 4,BAX EQ,AVALON 747,SILVER BULLEt,WES DIONE,BETTERMAKER EQ 542,Kahayan 4000.MIllennia HV3,TC rev 4000,Antelope Orion 32,Prism Lyra 1.SPL MIXDREAM,Shadow Hills DV,SSL Bus comp,AML 54f50 stereo,NEVE 542 tape.and so on so on.The acoustics is from GIK at price at 6000 euro(panels and diffusers)The curve of my studio is almost flat.I will attach the fotos below.
Best Regards

So in the comparison you posted which one was u87 1? I thought that one was far superior so if its the Warm ill be amazed.
Old 22nd January 2020
Company Rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Yeah.. but you can’t get your Stam and you paid for that 15 months ago, so....

Is it not possible to cancel a Stam order??? 15 months? I mean, that borders on criminal. It’s such a long time I wonder if you’d even be able to contest with PayPal or your credit card company...
Several hundred people have cancelled their orders during these years since I started in 2013 with this evil and border criminal system. Every single one was refunded. Not sure what other criminals do but this one refunds his clients.

I still don't understand why this threads keeps being about my work and not the unit that is being debated on here. We have our own thread for the MK2, you are welcome to complain there but since we are on the subject I would like to clarify a few things

There are no units for sale on reverb. Try buying the one that "user" posted. He doesn't have it. I have never shipped an SA4000MK2 with a Neve MOD. I have only sent standard units.

I would also like to state that the majority of our clients are not on these forums. I am sorry if people outside the community received theirs. We should have many reviews from you guys coming these next few weeks

If anybody is angry at me for the long wait on this piece I completely understand and I can only apologize once again and offer a refund if you don't wish to wait. I will cover any PayPal fees as well so you get what you sent.

For those who waited this long the unit just went up to 990 USD so you got this piece at a very low price AND you are about to be blown away with this 1:1 DBX 202C replicas. It's on a complete different level to the MK1 and the only of it's kind in the world.

Peace!!

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 23rd January 2020 at 12:57 AM..
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Best Regards
fair enough, man. I appreciate it. your English was just fine. best regards.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
So in the comparison you posted which one was u87 1? I thought that one was far superior so if its the Warm ill be amazed.

Yes ,87 1 is Warm, 87 2 is Neumann Anny edition.
Old 22nd January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m impressed! The warm sounds clearer to me for sure.
Old 23rd January 2020
Lives for gear

Now, you wouldn't cheat with anything like this, would you...?
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Several hundred people have cancelled their orders during these years since I started in 2013 with this evil and border criminal system. Every single one was refunded. Not sure what other criminals do but this one refunds his clients.

I still don't understand why this threads keeps being about my work and not the unit that is being debated on here. We have our own thread for the MK2, you are welcome to complain there but since we are on the subject I would like to clarify a few things

There are no units for sale on reverb. Try buying the one that "user" posted. He doesn't have it. I have never shipped an SA4000MK2 with a Neve MOD. I have only sent standard units.

I would also like to state that the majority of our clients are not on these forums. I am sorry if people outside the community received theirs. We should have many reviews from you guys coming these next few weeks

If anybody is angry at me for the long wait on this piece I completely understand and I can only apologize once again and offer a refund if you don't wish to wait. I will cover any PayPal fees as well so you get what you sent.

For those who waited this long the unit just went up to 990 USD so you got this piece at a very low price AND you are about to be blown away with this 1:1 DBX 202C replicas. It's on a complete different level to the MK1 and the only of it's kind in the world.

Peace!!
Josh,

I've quoted you, the MKII and that MKII thread a few times, like I said in my post I started following the STAM MKII thread a year after launch waiting for examples and reviews because I don't really like buying from overseas (I'm in the UK) unless for large commercial suppliers (been burnt once before, although I got refunded in the end). But with all the delays of your MKII and now the Warm offering, it's a shame, but I would not have the patience those early orderers have, once I've stumped up the cash, I WANT MY TOYS (sorry not aimed at you of course). Maybe when things all settle down and the buying schedule is a little more regular I'll be back if... once the inevitable reviews between yours and the WARM favour the MKII.

to be honest, WARM probably saw your delays and thought... hmmm commercial opportunity here if we can get to market before STAM, we might pick up a few that lose patience.
Old 23rd January 2020
Quote:
Dammm! I defo preferred 871.. it sounds thicker and more rounded. That's a bit shocking and would make me think something as off on the Neumann (not that I've ever used one myself), as typically in a clone vs original vintage that difference is usually the other way round.

If everything is above board (no offence intended), then I might need to look a that Mic too.
Old 24th January 2020
Quote:
Josh,

I've quoted you, the MKII and that MKII thread a few times, like I said in my post I started following the STAM MKII thread a year after launch waiting for examples and reviews because I don't really like buying from overseas (I'm in the UK) unless for large commercial suppliers (been burnt once before, although I got refunded in the end). But with all the delays of your MKII and now the Warm offering, it's a shame, but I would not have the patience those early orderers have, once I've stumped up the cash, I WANT MY TOYS (sorry not aimed at you of course). Maybe when things all settle down and the buying schedule is a little more regular I'll be back if... once the inevitable reviews between yours and the WARM favour the MKII.

to be honest, WARM probably saw your delays and thought... hmmm commercial opportunity here if we can get to market before STAM, we might pick up a few that lose patience.
Neko would have been the obvious choice in the UK, it's fantastic, but it's more expensive than the Warm. Stam MK2 on Reverb in the UK, but according to Josh you may get burned again with that one.
Old 24th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Neko would have been the obvious choice in the UK, it's fantastic, but it's more expensive than the Warm. Stam MK2 on Reverb in the UK, but according to Josh you may get burned again with that one.
Thanks,

Yes I discovered the Neko a few months back, and it's not that much more expensive, so it's still in with a shout from me. I won't be ready to buy until April now, so just weighing the options until then.

But up till a few months back, I hadn't even heard of Neko (and keep forgetting about them . I'm a home studio guy using mostly software these days, so lost track of the small boutique guys.
Old 24th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Dammm! I defo preferred 871.. it sounds thicker and more rounded. That's a bit shocking and would make me think something as off on the Neumann (not that I've ever used one myself), as typically in a clone vs original vintage that difference is usually the other way round.

If everything is above board (no offence intended), then I might need to look a that Mic too.
While I preferred #2 , I found the difference negligible. A little compression on #1 would make them indistinguishable, IMO. It's possible that #1 would be more usable in a given mix, but either would work well on this voice.

Though we're a bit off topic, I think it's fair to say that Warm is really good at what it does, and I'd be confident that this comp is very close to the original, or at least usable in the same applications. Thank god they ditched the coffee graphics.
Old 24th January 2020
Lives for gear

Neko link?
Old 24th January 2020
Ordered mine today, I can post some examples if you want.
Old 24th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
Neko link?
https://www.google.de/url?q=http://w...KSs1saWku5e1jm

Or search for Nekotronics on Facebook. Gray is a supernice dude and open for further customisations. He uses THAT VCAs and Carnhills if you opt for Trannies. Nails the rather modern SSL sound of the Duality/X-Rack with severe punch and a little sheen.
Old 4 weeks ago
Info:
The BUS-COMP 2 Channel VCA Bus Compressor ships to dealers soon! Pre-order yours today!

Can´t wait for next week
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I had some questions about the Bus comp, so I wrote to Warm. I got this nice reply:

Quote:

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at Warm Audio! Thanks for your interest in the Bus Comp. Here are the answers to your questions:

Does the sidechain sum the audio and then route it to the peak detector, or does each channel have an independent peak detector and the resulting voltages combined through a pair of diodes creating an "OR" gate?

The loudest channel (L or R) will be the signal that triggers the compression and dictate how the compressor compresses both channels.

Can the compressor be operated as 2 independent, unlinked channels (granted with the same attack, release and ratio, etc)?
No, the compression between the 2 channels will always be linked.

How many VCAs are used in each channel, both in the audio path and in the sidechain?

Two per channel.

In the unfortunate event that this might have been based on one of the incorrect "clone" schematics, does the Auto release setting incorporate a dual 500ms/500ms time constant or is it 50ms/2500ms?
This one I am not sure of.

Are the "discrete opamps" in the standard 990 / 2520 form factor and are they socketed?
They are not sockets, they are permanently mounted to the board.

Does it have a full relay bypass, and are the bypass switches latching or "logic controlled"?
There is a relay bypass that is latching.

Hope this helps!
-Scott
Old 4 weeks ago
Shipping should be next week, thomann changed the delivery date to +5 weeks.

Not nice, not nice.

Sorry warm audio but I canceled my order and bought a Heritage audio successor instead.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Spoke to Warm Audio and they have shipped this week. Pre-orders should arrive between 7-12 days. I'll post when it arrives. Should be next week.

Last edited by parissound; 4 weeks ago at 09:00 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
A mix knob is nice but you can still get the similar effect with a patchbay as had been done in days of yore (with a little more hassle obviously). The original SSL and the Obsidian are two VCA compressors that dont have mix knobs and I dont think that stops anyone from using them. Over all, I agree with you and would have preferred a mix knob or more filter options like on the Successor. I don't really hear much of a difference with the MSL-TX's Cinemag transformers in the audio path and so don't really place much value on that feature. Still Im excited to hear some more examples of what this thing can do.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
A mix knob is nice but you can still get the similar effect with a patchbay as had been done in days of yore (with a little more hassle obviously). The original SSL and the Obsidian are two VCA compressors that dont have mix knobs and I dont think that stops anyone from using them. Over all, I agree with you and would have preferred a mix knob or more filter options like on the Successor. I don't really hear much of a difference with the MSL-TX's Cinemag transformers in the audio path and so don't really place much value on that feature. Still Im excited to hear some more examples of what this thing can do.
Can s.o. explain the purpose of a dry/wet mixknob on a bus-comp? I don't get it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaem View Post
Can s.o. explain the purpose of a dry/wet mixknob on a bus-comp? I don't get it.
Never heard of parallel compression?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
Never heard of parallel compression?
Ah okay. So that you can blend in parallel compression with it on the mixbus, right? I did this on drums once. Is it common to use parallel compression on master bus too?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaem View Post
Ah okay. So that you can blend in parallel compression with it on the mixbus, right? I did this on drums once. Is it common to use parallel compression on master bus too?
In any scenario where you would use a compressor, it's useful to have an option to use it in parallel. Your mix-bus is the most important track in your session, so you can imagine, sometimes parallel is the approach when trying to get more cohesiveness without losing the transients, punch or getting pumping effects (although the high pass filter can help with that).
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My Warm Audio Bus Comp is on the fedex vehicle for delivery today! I’ll mess with it tonight and give you guys my impressions. I can’t wait!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuethenoise View Post
My Warm Audio Bus Comp is on the fedex vehicle for delivery today! I’ll mess with it tonight and give you guys my impressions. I can’t wait!
Great! Please keep us updated asap!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Took Delivery

Got one today. I also have an Audioscape SsL and had the Stam 4K mki.

The WA Bus feels very well built all switches and pots feel very substantial and solid. With the Cinemag transformers the unit has good heft, fit and finish are excellent.

I immediately wired it up to my patchbay and fired it up in a mix. First impression are very favourable, good detail and tone and when you turn in transformers more apparent soundstage and presence, so an interesting versatility.

I have my 2 bus mix hitting the WA bus comp first and it’s outs going to the inserts of my WA273EQ, to hit its eq and also it’s output Xfrs, which I had to dial back about 20%.

The extra settings (ratio, hpf, etc.,), are very useful letting you more tailor the sound in a controlled repeatable way.

Certainly recommend you demo, think it’s very good value and that the WA bus compressor is definitely a keeper.

Last edited by Kcatthedog; 3 weeks ago at 11:54 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog View Post
Got one today. I also have an Audioscape SsL and had the Stam 4K mki.
How does it compare to the AudioScape?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam guaiana View Post
Only on this site does common sense get tossed out the window. No bus comp in history has a low pass sidechain built in (and none should unless you want to ruin your mix), so it’s obviously a high pass sidechain and a badly worded description in the manual. You think a company who’s reputation involves cloning iconic gear would add such a useless feature and, in return, leave out such an important one? And for it to become a multi-post debate?? Come on.
took the words out of my mouth haha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search