The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reaper V6
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Any DAW that forces me to alpha-numerically sort custom VST folders manually... by moving each one up/down 1 mouse click at a time... is more than a little too primitive for me. Drag and drop, and auto sorting should be a given in 2020. Ridiculous. As soon as they solve that complex equation... I'm in.
You are right with that, even though IMO Reaper's plugin browser is the best of the market. Search is quick, plugins get autosorted by category and developer. Regarding the sorting of user folders: How often do you need to re-organize these?
As you can rename any fx in reaper (so you can add any tag to a plugin's name, which then will be found through the search) there is not much need for custom folders anyway...
If you really often change your plugins and folder structure you will easily get your wasted time back because Reaper is so much quicker in many aspects than any other daw I know, beginning with opening a project, scanning new plugins, etc. ...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Software

Recently I came across this amazing looking "Nova" theme on YouTube. Unfortunately the link to the stash is broken (error message "The requested file does not exist.").

Does anyone know whether we can download it from somewhere and if it's still updated now and then by the theme-developer? There is an email address below the video though, so maybe I will reach out to the person and ask.

PS. watch the video in full screen mode, you'll love it :-)

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_time_lurker View Post
You are right with that, even though IMO Reaper's plugin browser is the best of the market. Search is quick, plugins get autosorted by category and developer. Regarding the sorting of user folders: How often do you need to re-organize these?
As you can rename any fx in reaper (so you can add any tag to a plugin's name, which then will be found through the search) there is not much need for custom folders anyway...
If you really often change your plugins and folder structure you will easily get your wasted time back because Reaper is so much quicker in many aspects than any other daw I know, beginning with opening a project, scanning new plugins, etc. ...
I hardly ever need to re-organize folders. I organize them once, in a logical, hierarchical manner that corresponds to the way I can most easily find them with a few mouse clicks, and without having to type in search parameters.

I prefer my way of locating plugins over the way Reaper thinks it should be. Sometimes I can't remember exactly what the plugin is called I want, but I can find it quickly if I can go to a logical folder structure. And sometimes plugin makers have multiple plugins, either by brand, like Plugin Alliance, or they have multiple instances of a plugin that each perform slightly differently depending on which instance you choose... like Acustica and Acqua. I prefer not having to look through long lists of plugins trying to locate them or remember exactly what they're called. I can set up a hierarchical folder structure that makes everything relatively easy and quick to see what I have available within a couple of clicks... without having to rename anything or search through lists of plugins that have no hierarchical structure. If I get new plugins... it's relatively easy to put in a new folder and/or plugin exactly where it should be in the hierarchy.

It's just the way I'm used to working. It should be a relatively easy thing to implement. Not being able to do that is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I keep hoping for Reaper to have that option. Apparently they're never going to, as several DAWs have been capable of this for many years.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I hardly ever need to re-organize folders. I organize them once, in a logical, hierarchical manner that corresponds to the way I can most easily find them with a few mouse clicks, and without having to type in search parameters.

I prefer my way of locating plugins over the way Reaper thinks it should be. Sometimes I can't remember exactly what the plugin is called I want, but I can find it quickly if I can go to a logical folder structure. And sometimes plugin makers have multiple plugins, either by brand, like Plugin Alliance, or they have multiple instances of a plugin that each perform slightly differently depending on which instance you choose... like Acustica and Acqua. I prefer not having to look through long lists of plugins trying to locate them or remember exactly what they're called. I can set up a hierarchical folder structure that makes everything relatively easy and quick to see what I have available within a couple of clicks... without having to rename anything or search through lists of plugins that have no hierarchical structure. If I get new plugins... it's relatively easy to put in a new folder and/or plugin exactly where it should be in the hierarchy.

It's just the way I'm used to working. It should be a relatively easy thing to implement. Not being able to do that is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I keep hoping for Reaper to have that option. Apparently they're never going to, as several DAWs have been capable of this for many years.
In the FX Browser window:

Options > Show in left pane list > VST Folders

Also optionally, right-clicking on the new "VST Folders" header in the left pane > "Include plugins found in subfolders"
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVsnd View Post
In the FX Browser window:

Options > Show in left pane list > VST Folders

Also optionally, right-clicking on the new "VST Folders" header in the left pane > "Include plugins found in subfolders"
That doesn't do anything but show you where your plugins are installed. It's got nothing to do with being able to create custom VST menus/folders.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Fan of LCS mod short. It's a smaller variation on Imperial. Been using it for years now.

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1724/LCS-mod_Short.zip
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
That doesn't do anything but show you where your plugins are installed. It's got nothing to do with being able to create custom VST menus/folders.
maybe you just explained it really badly. try again ?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
maybe you just explained it really badly. try again ?
Maybe you didn't read back far enough. Or failed to comprehend. Try again?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe you didn't read back far enough. Or failed to comprehend. Try again?
yes we all failed to comprehend. maybe you have a video where you can show it in operation. ?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
yes we all failed to comprehend. maybe you have a video where you can show it in operation. ?
long_time_lurker at the top of this page seemed to understand without any difficulty. If he can, I'm sure you can, too.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
long_time_lurker at the top of this page seemed to understand without any difficulty. If he can, I'm sure you can, too.
you're starting to make a bad case for it. assuming you actually want to make a case for it, it might be a good idea to actually try to help make the case for it. you also claimed they are never going to do it.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

My theme is default Commala 5

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1702/D...ReaperThemeZip

I also like Janne themes, like this one;

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/2356/J...ReaperThemeZip

Last edited by apartment dog; 3 days ago at 09:55 PM..
Old 3 days ago
I think we can all agree that you can:

1. Create custom plug-in folders in Reaper
2. Order them in any way you like

But: there's no drag-and-drop re-ordering functionality if you change your mind. So if you want to move your Reverbs folder from position 10 to position 2, you have to click on the "move up" button 8 times. Annoying, but not something you'd have to do very often.

What's not so great is that you can't nest folders. i.e. Reverbs>Modern | Vintage | Convolution. But is this a deal-breaker? I've been using Logic for decades and they've only recently introduced the ability to create custom folders(no nested ones either, but with drag-and-drop re-ordering). It can't be that difficult to code, so I guess it's just not a priority...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

The V6 theme is hideous imo, but thankfully there are a handful of nice themes to choose from.

Retina/HiDPI support makes a big difference (especially with automation lanes/editing), and comparing vs V5 on a 64 track project, V6 used 8-9% less CPU. Very impressive.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
The V6 theme is hideous imo, but thankfully there are a handful of nice themes to choose from.

Retina/HiDPI support makes a big difference (especially with automation lanes/editing), and comparing vs V5 on a 64 track project, V6 used 8-9% less CPU. Very impressive.
Hey, b0se! You're a graphic designer, aren't you? Which themes do you find the best?

I'm THIS close to switching over to Reaper. It's mostly just GUI, area selection and takes/comping organization that's holding me back.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skap View Post
Hey, b0se! You're a graphic designer, aren't you? Which themes do you find the best?

I'm THIS close to switching over to Reaper. It's mostly just GUI, area selection and takes/comping organization that's holding me back.
Used to be!

Reaper has amazing takes, I only discovered that earlier this year. You can re-record over the same track and it automatically saves them as takes.

Once you've sliced up the sections/whatever, all you then do it click to select which take to use. Comping couldn't be easier! Quick example:

I use a theme that I've modded myself, not perfect for Retina/HiDPI (a couple of minimal scaling bugs), but miles better than the default:

Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Any DAW that forces me to alpha-numerically sort custom VST folders manually... by moving each one up/down 1 mouse click at a time... is more than a little too primitive for me. Drag and drop, and auto sorting should be a given in 2020. Ridiculous. As soon as they solve that complex equation... I'm in.
As with many aspects of Reaper, if something is lacking, a generous programmer/scripter may have made something:

http://jahudka.github.io/rearrangefx/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFM18Z08Q1Y
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Used to be!

Reaper has amazing takes, I only discovered that earlier this year. You can re-record over the same track and it automatically saves them as takes.

Once you've sliced up the sections/whatever, all you then do it click to select which take to use. Comping couldn't be easier! Quick example:

I use a theme that I've modded myself, not perfect for Retina/HiDPI (a couple of minimal scaling bugs), but miles better than the default:

My memory still works!

Re: takes: I've made entire albums with Reaper and that way of comping, and it does indeed work, but the technique of swiping a lane to promote to a master comp used in S1, Cubendo and others (which, by the way, also auto-creates new takes when recording over the previous take) is quite a bit faster and less messy. Copying sections also seems a bit too unintuitive when working with programmed music. Unfortunately, cause Reaper is just so superior in almost every other field that I use and need.

Your theme looks a bit like Logic, me thinks. And extremely clean compared to most others. Do you even use any toolbars at all, or have you memorized all the keyboard short-cuts you need?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
I REALLY like the iLogic V3 theme. It requires a donation and is still a work in progress, but after doing some light tweaks to things like MIDI note colors, and some moderate toolbar editing with some custom icons, I'm totally happy with it. Was never a Logic user either, so this isn't a nostalgia or "trying to make Reaper like my old DAW" thing. It just looks good and works.

Here are some captures from the original thread in the Reaper themes forum. I don't think they totally capture how good it looks, but should give you a good idea.

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post
As with many aspects of Reaper, if something is lacking, a generous programmer/scripter may have made something:

Cool! Thanks for the info & links. I'll check it out soon as I can. Might be just what I need.

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My memory still works!

Re: takes: I've made entire albums with Reaper and that way of comping, and it does indeed work, but the technique of swiping a lane to promote to a master comp used in S1, Cubendo and others (which, by the way, also auto-creates new takes when recording over the previous take) is quite a bit faster and less messy. Copying sections also seems a bit too unintuitive when working with programmed music. Unfortunately, cause Reaper is just so superior in almost every other field that I use and need.

Your theme looks a bit like Logic, me thinks. And extremely clean compared to most others. Do you even use any toolbars at all, or have you memorized all the keyboard short-cuts you need?
Oh really? I came from Live (then Bitwig), so this was somewhat of a revelation for me with regards to comping :¬)

Yes memorised most of them. Just the one toolbar above the vertical tracks. I like the UI to be as minimal/calm/unobtrusive as possible.

PM me if you want to try the theme, happy to send it over.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut

@ b0se
Please, can you share your theme with us?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digipope View Post
@ b0se
Please, can you share your theme with us?
Sure, I'll finish some tweaks then bundle it up with the right font later tonight once I've finished working.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I REALLY like the iLogic V3 theme. It requires a donation and is still a work in progress, but after doing some light tweaks to things like MIDI note colors, and some moderate toolbar editing with some custom icons, I'm totally happy with it. Was never a Logic user
You are/were a S1 user too, right? I believe I remember you from the S1 forums. One of the more thorough posters with views I could relate to. Your post over at the Reaper forum with an initiative to collaborate to come up with a better default experience is one I hope will gain more tracktion. It's something at least I would appreciate a lot.

Quote:
Oh really? I came from Live (then Bitwig), so this was somewhat of a revelation for me with regards to comping :¬)

Yes memorised most of them. Just the one toolbar above the vertical tracks. I like the UI to be as minimal/calm/unobtrusive as possible.

PM me if you want to try the theme, happy to send it over.
Ableton is kind of worst in class when it comes to comping, so no wonder you find Reaper to be a revelation in that department.

Minimal GUI combined with memorised short-cuts sounds like the saner way. Must look into that, and your theme seems to be a good place to start.

Quote:
Sure, I'll finish some tweaks then bundle it up with the right font later tonight once I've finished working.
Generous of you! Tinkering, attention to detail and willingness to share goes to show that you probably belong in the Reaper camp!
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
You are/were a S1 user too, right? I believe I remember you from the S1 forums. One of the more thorough posters with views I could relate to. Your post over at the Reaper forum with an initiative to collaborate to come up with a better default experience is one I hope will gain more tracktion. It's something at least I would appreciate a lot.
Sonar, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper, I've been around all of them and their respective forums at some point or another. Thanks for the kind words! Didn't seem like there was much interest in crowd sourcing one or more Reaper configs to get some more sensible preferences for new users, but I still believe it's worth pursuing. I'm quite happy with Reaper right now, but it definitely took a lot of research as well as some trial and error to get there.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
I have a quick question that didn't get answered yet at the reaper forum, copy/pasting here;

So I watched this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P62cSnHY7IA

Kenny summs up (minute 22) adressing if level of folder track is decreased, sends (sent to tracks) keep same messing the mix.

But what about sending an fx to a folder track? I made a quick test (tracks to 2 folders and 1 reverb send) and seems the issue is gone. But I didn't try this in a real mix so unsure what can go wrong...
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Sonar, Studio One, Cubase, Reaper, I've been around all of them and their respective forums at some point or another. Thanks for the kind words! Didn't seem like there was much interest in crowd sourcing one or more Reaper configs to get some more sensible preferences for new users, but I still believe it's worth pursuing. I'm quite happy with Reaper right now, but it definitely took a lot of research as well as some trial and error to get there.
You're welcome, Funkybot, and, yeah, not much interest there yet. Perhaps because everyone works so differently. But I agree, the starting points could be quite a lot better.

I've been back and forth between S1 and Reaper since 2011, but never really made the jump fully into Reaper, even though I really want to, mostly because I love the customizability and the approach of the devs. But I just keep getting work done in S1 (although not without frustration), while mostly just occationally stepping by trying Reaper every now and then, tweaking some settings, watching a Kenny video, fooling around a bit and finishing a project or two, dreaming about the day I'll finally make the transition, but finally returning to S1 because it is so effortless. Especially when it comes to building modern non-band music from scratch. I know it would be worth the effort to customize Reaper to my liking, but there's only so much time for that kind and amount of research when one just wants to be creative. But seeing that you come from Sonar, S1 and Cubase, which all are pretty similar, and your views seem to align with mine, I think a crowd sourced config initiated by you would be of great help for someone like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
I have a quick question that didn't get answered yet at the reaper forum, copy/pasting here;

So I watched this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P62cSnHY7IA

Kenny summs up (minute 22) adressing if level of folder track is decreased, sends (sent to tracks) keep same messing the mix.

But what about sending an fx to a folder track? I made a quick test (tracks to 2 folders and 1 reverb send) and seems the issue is gone. But I didn't try this in a real mix so unsure what can go wrong...
I often work like that, bussing the fx return into the same folder as the source tracks or into a 2nd common folder or bus track. It works, helps with adjusting the volume pf everything simultaneously (without affecting gates, compressors, saturation or other dynamic fx that might reside on the fx returns). One of the beauties of Reaper is that its tracks are agnostic and can be both a regular audio channel and a bus at the same time, so the options are plentiful.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang View Post

And this is why I love Reaper. Simple app that works a treat, thanks for the heads up!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quick heads up - rather than waiting for me to get the HiDPI/Retina version fixed (might take a bit of time), I'll package up the standard resolution version and share that here first (will have to be tomorrow, busy all day/night). Once I get the Retina version as good as I can I'll share that separately.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search