The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tokyo Dawn Labs Slick EQ Mastering 2.0
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Tokyo Dawn Labs Slick EQ Mastering 2.0

TDR SlickEQ M (Mastering Edition) extends SlickEQ’s proven concept into a fully-fledged stereophonic equalizer.
Specifically developed for the audio mastering engineer, no compromises have been made to deliver an exceptional musical flexibility and audio fidelity.

Behind an intuitive user interface hides as staggering array of possibilities:
A set of musical high-pass and low-pass filters including a low frequency stereo centering section offer detailed control over the signal bandwidth.
Six powerful parametric filter bands give precise access over tone, timbre and the stereo image, and a sophisticated meta-filter offers direct and intuitive access to the brightness, hardness or equal loudness curve of an audio signal.

All filters except HP and LP operate in a parallel EQ configuration. An effective auto gain mechanism automatically compensates for changes of perceived loudness while operating the EQ, smart signal analysis options allow matching the input signal’s spectrum against a reference; automatically find static resonances; or automatically setting the HP and LP filters according to the signal’s audible bandwidth.

As with SlickEQ Standard and SlickEQ – Gentleman’s Edition, a multirate processing scheme (a.k.a. “internal resampling”) combined with elaborate signal processing techniques ensure the highest signal integrity is maintained throughout the processing.

2.0.0 Major update

# Added VST3 support
# Added compatiblity for macOS Catalina
# Added 100%, 125% and 150% UI scale options.
# Added advanced mixed phase modes for stereo width and balance filters.
# Added "SumDiff" stereo mode offering operation similar to traditional M/S EQing.
# Added "Mono" and exclusive channel modes "Sum", "Diff", "Left", Right".
# Added ECO and LIVE (zero latency) processing modes.
# Replaced LF and HF nonlinearity options with LF and HF exciters (legacy mode still accessible and recallable).
# Added Smart Operations panel (incl. control over stereo width and panning).
# Added source selector for the analyser: Off, Input, Output.
# Added options for Stereo Analysis (stereo width and balance vs frequency).
# EQ autogain no longer affected by HP or LP (projects recall as before, though).
# Analyzer precision and reaction time improved.
# UI performance improved.
# Fixed bug in stereo width loudness correction (old projects recall as before, though).
# Several little improvements.

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-slickeq-m/
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Brilliant update.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Addict

Exciters sound really good, great addition to the EQ. And LOVE the width mode on the analyser.

Any more detail you can provide about the mixed phase mode feature for width & pan?
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Glad to see the SmartOps functionality from Nova incorporated in SlickEQ M! Instant Buy.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Addict

One thing I've noticed - SlickEQ M's processing modes list is arranged in ascending order of quality, whereas in VOS SlickEQ GE they're listed in "descending" order (broadly speaking) but Eco mode seems to be described as higher quality than Live mode, whereas in SlickEQ M it seems to be that Eco is lower quality than Live mode.

VOS's highest quality mode is "Full", but there's no "Full" quality mode in SlickEQ M, there's Precise and Insane. I'm guessing Precise in SlickEQ M is equivalent to Full in VOS?

Would be great if there was parity in the way the processing modes were named & sorted across both plugins.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgroove View Post
Any more detail you can provide about the mixed phase mode feature for width & pan?
"Mixed phase" mode preserves linear phase but only for high frequencies where pre-ringing artefacts are short enough to be ignored.

For "Pan" mode it affects phase response only for left-right channels difference.

For example, you have 1k bell boost. As SlickEQ M is minimum-phase, it introduces some delays/phase shifts around 1k but it's the same for both left and right channels.

Now it you pan this 1k bell boost to right, left channel EQ and right channel EQ get different responses and different delays/phase shifts. As human ear obtains pan information from both level differences and time delays, the stereo-image becomes blurred. "Mixed phase" mode compensates time delays and allows to use panning controls while keeping stereo-image stable.

On the bad side this mode introduces higher latency, higher CPU usage and less creative audio coloration.

For "Width" mode the Diff (or Side) channel equalisation affected by "width" controls gets the phase compensation described. Do like this sound or not is just a matter of taste.

If Pan and Width controls are not used (set to unity), the selection of "Mixed Phase" mode doesn't affect the sound.
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Addict

Thanx for the update !

One thing tho, with the VST3 version : The daw's Bypass button is missing in Cubase 10. (Win7 64)
Old 28th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post
Thanx for the update !

One thing tho, with the VST3 version : The daw's Bypass button is missing in Cubase 10. (Win7 64)
Thanks for reporting this!
Old 28th November 2019
Lives for gear

Best and most useful exciter I've encountered. It sounds so smooth and clear at the same time. I've always looked away from exciters but this is really good. I'm impressed.
Old 29th November 2019
Lives for gear
Exciter!? Now I'm excited, just what I've been after. Glad 32bit is still supported too!
Old 29th November 2019
Gear Nut

What a gift! Thanks you F. & V.
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear
Hello @ vladg ,
I'm sorry to be that guy , but legacy algorithm for low and high saturation doesn't seem to be working in the new plugin (2.0.0 for 32/64 bit VST2 and AAX).
Tried both - recall old project or recreate particular settings from scratch in new version. Revert to 1.0.3 works well.

For example this state produces no saturation in the new version.

<TDRSlickEQM bandOn1="On" bandShape1="Bell" bandFreq1="120" bandGain1="3.0" bandQ1="Shallow I" bandStereoWidth1="0.0" bandStereoBalance2="0.0" bandOn2="On" bandShape2="Bell" bandFreq2="120" bandGain2="0.0" bandQ2="Normal" bandStereoWidth2="0.0" bandOn3="On" bandShape3="Bell" bandFreq3="600" bandGain3="0.0" bandQ3="Normal" bandStereoWidth3="0.0" bandStereoBalance3="0.0" bandOn4="On" bandShape4="Bell" bandFreq4="1200" bandGain4="0.0" bandQ4="Normal" bandStereoWidth4="0.0" bandStereoBalance4="0.0" bandOn5="On" bandShape5="Bell" bandFreq5="4000" bandGain5="0.0" bandQ5="Normal" bandStereoWidth5="0.0" bandStereoBalance5="0.0" bandOn6="On" bandShape6="High Shelf" bandFreq6="6000" bandGain6="0.0" bandQ6="Normal" bandStereoWidth6="0.0" bandStereoBalance6="0.0" highPassOn="On" highPassQ="12dB/oct" hpFreqParam="40" lfElliptical="Off" lfEllipticalFreq="100" lpBypassParam="Off" lowPassQ="18dB/oct" lowPassFreq="40000" centerFilterOn="On" centerFilterType="Hardness" centerFilterAmount="-1.0" nonlinearityLowOn="On" nonlinearityLowAmount="16.0" nonlinearityHighOn="Off" nonlinearityHighAmount="0.0" outGainParam="0.0" outWidthParam="0.0" outBalanceParam="0.0" parameterRange="100" parameterRangeMode="EQ Bands" autoGainParam="Off" bypassParam="Off" qualityParam="Precise" displayScaleParam="Scale: Auto" showFreqMagnitudeParam="On" showFFTAnalyzerParam="Analyzer: Off"/>

Thank you,

Michal
Old 6th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hello @ vladg ,
I'm sorry to be that guy , but legacy algorithm for low and high saturation doesn't seem to be working in the new plugin (2.0.0 for 32/64 bit VST2 and AAX).
Tried both - recall old project or recreate particular settings from scratch in new version. Revert to 1.0.3 works well.
Thanks for the report!
Old 6th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Thanks for the report!
Thanks to you for checking of that

All the best,

Michal
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
"Mixed phase" mode compensates time delays and allows to use panning controls while keeping stereo-image stable.
This is one of the things that has impressed me most, that when using the panning controls the stereo image remains stable. There is no "mush" like you can get with software like Equilibrium or Magpha. IMO the effect is far more impressive than TDR's competitors. Combine that with SlickEQ M's transparency and this is the master bus EQ I've been waiting for.

On the flip side of the "widening" effect SlickEQ M does so well, conversely you can narrow the frequency bands to tighten things up, which is another feature that has been on my wish list with a nice transparent mastering EQ.

And the Low Frequency Mono feature? Forget about it. This feature clenches it for me. I do a lot of singer/songwriter type stuff and the LF Mono feature really tightens up the low end in such a pleasing way for a lot of my material.

I'm a big fan of SlickEQ M so far.
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Addict

Updated.
Old 7th December 2019
This has been my favorite EQ since v1 came out, so happy to finally have the v2.

I've got a bug that I know is specific to Bitwig and vst3 only. I think, if I do the smart ops Auto HP/LP all parameters suddenly flip to their minimum value, and the StereoMode switches to mono.

If I press "flat" to reset though, the smart op works fine the next time.

I had a few other plugins go mono in Bitwig, only the vst3 version, and one dev managed to solve it.
Old 7th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
Updated.
The download is still showing version 2.0.0 ???
Old 7th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
The download is still showing version 2.0.0 ???
yeah the new version is 2.0
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
yeah the new version is 2.0
The current version is 2.0.0, but the issue reported by msmucr above has not yet been fixed.
We may have been at crossed purposes.
You might have just been pumped because you just updated to 2.0.0 for the first time.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
The current version is 2.0.0, but the issue reported by msmucr above has not yet been fixed.
We may have been at crossed purposes.
You might have just been pumped because you just updated to 2.0.0 for the first time.
Aha now i see. Yes i'm running 2.0

The saturation is not important to me on this EQ, but cpu usage was my problem with older version when used for mixing on individual loops/tracks. Anyway I'm confident TDL will fix it asap.
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Nut

Great update!
What frequency range did the old version reference to in its "match pink" algo /
how should the new version be set when trying to replicate the old "match pink"?

Thanx,
Peter
Old 8th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin17 View Post
Great update!
What frequency range did the old version reference to in its "match pink" algo /
how should the new version be set when trying to replicate the old "match pink"?

Thanx,
Peter
Use default frequency range (set automatically). The old version did the same but this automatic frequency range behaviour was hidden.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Head
website has been down for days..??
Old 10th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByMrHD View Post
Works for me (ie: check things on your side)
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedByMrHD View Post
I'm getting the website just fine.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Works for me (ie: check things on your side)
on every website, streaming movies, remoting into work with no issues...just cant get through to tokyodawn
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Maniac

loading a bit sluggish for me as well when I just checked. A server issue somewhere in the cloud.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Fantastic update! Love the deresonate (cheers @ Beatworld ) and the low/high saturation sounds top notch.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search