The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases UAD Software v9.11 Featuring the Avalon 737 Channelstrip
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Been testing the Avalon 737 on everything lately.

Frankly, I'm blown away.

It sound great on everything I feed into it. The results the EQ is giving me are a joy to my ears.

I don't buy stuff easily. I tend to stick to what I already own and know. It's been a while since I've been excited about new gear.

UAD have really stepped up their game with this one.

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
ehm, no. These particular folks will.not.stop, regardless of what
he or you or I say or do not say, except one thing:
calling them out for their obvious, annoying, information-free,
and invasive counter-marketing
trolling of each and every competing new product thread.
yeah... its kind of tired, transparent and annoying. i might have considered them but i dont like negative marketing ....

if i click on a UAD thread i dont want to read about something else....
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale View Post
Been testing the Avalon 737 on everything lately.

Frankly, I'm blown away.

It sound great on everything I feed into it. The results the EQ is giving me are a joy to my ears.

I don't buy stuff easily. I tend to stick to what I already own and know. It's been a while since I've been excited about new gear.

UAD have really stepped up their game with this one.

Thanks!
Nice!! So happy for you Hale!

And thanks for the report! I'll pass your thoughts along to our plugin guys.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Been incorporating the x10 buttons regularly now and they sound really good. I’m not exactly sure why or how, but stuff just works on this thing. I’m still integrating this along with the 102, 175/176, and Capitol Chambers in anticipation of getting them as a bundle. I’ve been able to lay off the track and aux limiters a lot. Ended up deactivating all of them and just using the DS-1 MK3 at the end of the master fader with the 102 right before. Was using 7.5 speed as a starting point and I’ve moved onto the ultra linear 30 presets.

Picked up the EQ84 from Overloud last night and noticed that when adding it to the vocal bus, it helped Capitol blend better into hard rock stuff even though it was routed to the pre-master. I’m always looking for good companion plugins to enhance the UAD stuff I’m largely putting on auxes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I wonder why no one is talking about the Sonnix Supresser DS. Isn‘t that a tool that’s way more useful for vocal production than yet another channel strip? When ordering for „best sellers“ one can see it‘s currently even the 2nd weakest selling product on UAD.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

And finally Gearslutz comes round to appreciate how great the 737 is...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Had a bit of play with this one it.sounds actually very good but for my stuff the Lindell 80 is just superior more drive and mojo.Very good plugin though great job from Uad.
Old 1 week ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
I wonder why no one is talking about the Sonnix Supresser DS. Isn‘t that a tool that’s way more useful for vocal production than yet another channel strip? When ordering for „best sellers“ one can see it‘s currently even the 2nd weakest selling product on UAD.
Indeed.
It looks to be an indispensable tool. I’m trying to decide between the Sonnox Supresser and the Weiss offering.
Wonder if anyone has compared the 2?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Indeed.
It looks to be an indispensable tool. I’m trying to decide between the Sonnox Supresser and the Weiss offering.
both are great dont think you can really go wrong with either of them but obviously encourage you to demo both and decide.
Old 1 week ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodakell View Post
both are great dont think you can really go wrong with either of them but obviously encourage you to demo both and decide.
Thanks for response. When time permits I will demo both side by side.
If you've used both any particular differences that may sway a person 1 way or the other?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Finally I got to try the SuprEsser and it‘s really great, much more useful than the 737 to me... Getting rid of harsh high end frequency is very important in order to get a smooth mix in the digital domain.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Indeed.
I've both .. for mastering the Weiss Dees is top-notch I mean it can smooth the mix and control any sharpness without killing the transient or dulling the mix, but it's cpu heavy. and the M/S is a must for mastering.

Sonnox SuprEsser is very light on cpu, easy to use with great results. I prefer it while mixing.

Both sounds wise are top, it's just the different extra features and cpu thing.
Old 6 days ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Albazy View Post
I've both .. for mastering the Weiss Dees is top-notch I mean it can smooth the mix and control any sharpness without killing the transient or dulling the mix, but it's cpu heavy. and the M/S is a must for mastering.

Sonnox SuprEsser is very light on cpu, easy to use with great results. I prefer it while mixing.

Both sounds wise are top, it's just the different extra features and cpu thing.
Thanks for this.
Sounds like since I mainly mix, and don’t Master that the Sonnox May be well suited to me.
Thanks again for taking the time.
Of course at some point I’m gonna have both.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

The fact that there still is no side chaining
ability is getting beyond stupid. What‘s the problem with implementing it? Also level compensated mono, how can such a basic and easy to implement feature be anything but top priority?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict
Just wanted to say that I’ve been trying to replace the 737 and Capitol Chambers with other stuff, including other UAD plugs, and it’s just not working. The 737 really does something special across a mix. It has more “mojo” than the LSR tubeenhance and the Century and UAD plugs. I was using those 3 at low settings, driving them more wasn’t helping.

You can get things smooth with those 3 along with a lot of glue, but the 737 does that along with better organization of the mix and giving the music a sense of immediacy that feels very natural. Plus it allows Capitol Chambers to really shine. The saturation of the other 3 ate up a lot of the reverberations and made reverb plugins more generic as a result. With this setup, Capitol is easily the best and most natural reverb out there. And it’s even working well with rock and metal. I’ve been trying it against R4, Seventh Heaven Pro, Tsar-1, and UAD Lexicons.

I was previously trying this with the ATR-102 as my tape across the master fader before the Weiss DS-1 using the 30ips Nonlin presets(DS-1 was the last plug in the chain). In this workflow, removing the 102 in favor of Softube Tape set with the amount and cross talk at 3 and the tape at 30 ips(everything else at default) gave me a superior result when bringing the 737 and Capitol back.

Now I’m setting the 102 at default and lowering the levels on the repro and record sections while adjusting the tape settings. Following it with Dopamine sounds really good. Better than if I keep softube tape and follow it with dopamine. We’ll see how it all holds up when I check things on speakers later. I want to see if I can beat what I did with softube tape as the main master tape.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head
Are there any sound samples/comparisons available?

I'm interested in the difference between the onboard pre-amp against the Unison VT-737 mainly vocals.

If you got any available could you also mention the microphone used?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyDay View Post
If you got any available could you also mention the microphone used?
+1

I also wonder which microphones are used by those raving about the 737.

On the AA CM800T I seem to get better results with the V76 and API unison preams (and the BAE 312 api clone).
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

There are so many 737 fans out there... Please tell us which mic(s) you use. That will be super helpful to many, I am sure! In the end it‘s always a combo of singer, mic and preamp.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
Various mics. My Sm7b, MTR-231, and whatever all these clients were using. I think one of them was one of those neutralish Audio Technica mics that goes for about $100. But I don’t use it on individual tracks since I don’t have an Apollo or a stack of Octo satellites. It works for me across a whole mix because it has just enough “mojo” to make things energetic and exciting without going overboard.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

You are using it on the master channel? Or what do you mean by „on the whole mix“?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
You are using it on the master channel? Or what do you mean by „on the whole mix“?
Read the previous pages.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
Read the previous pages.
Nevermind
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search