The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Airwindows Facet: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST
Old 3 weeks ago
Airwindows

Software Airwindows Facet: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

TL;DW: Facet is a new kind of hard clip that adds two sharp corners into the wave.

Facet.zip(337k)

Post or die! No food until post! Post is life! I'm super exhausted today, so I hope this makes sense. If not, ask on the Monday livestream.

Facet came out of me trying to come up with a new and distinct kind of distortion for the combined-distortions plugin I'm going to do. Rather than just bring Drive, Density, Spiral, Mojo etc. together, I wanted to add something different.

So, Facet adds a 'clip point' but rather than a hard clip it just changes the 'knee' of the transfer function so your peaks can still go super high, way beyond 0 dB if you like.

But, they change 'angle' at a sharp point which becomes sort of a corner in the sound. Except for high settings it's both high up in the loudness, and a very gentle 'corner': still sharp, but very little change.

And down near zero, it's damn near total hard clipping. At silence, it literally is a hard clip to silence.

Aw hell. Play with it, see what you think. i can't explain this one well, at least not right now. The mad scientist labs have released another weird one. It will act like it's a hard clip or a semi-dirty saturation, except the range of adjustment acts different, and it'll throw an odd artifact on pure low-frequency tones… just play with it, see what you get. It will find its way into the combined plugin because it's got a flavor all its own, but I can't describe it today.

I've survived this long on Patreon and most likely will still do so even if I don't beat myself into the ground making new posts and plugins, but part of it is because I've had the opportunity to up my game quite a bit, and it's meant weeks of nonstop work on stuff that isn't plugins. I'm sure it'll get easier in time
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

That's what talkin about! Airwindows makes the best and most interesting distortions out there, plugins like Loud, Power Sag, Spiral, DeRez2, BlockParty, ect. have completely changed my sound making it 5 times more fun to come up with sounds. Can't wait to try this out!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm really digging the tone of this one, especially on drums and percussive stuff.

This is one of those that could really benefit from some added controls: in/out trim, mix knob, etc.

An Airwindows multi-distortion plug would be suuuuper handy. I can't keep all of them straight in my saturation folder, and would love to cycle through a couple options quickly.

Anyway, thanks for the cool tools, Chris!

Last edited by lobsterinn; 3 weeks ago at 08:23 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great work here!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can't wait to see what this can do! Thanks buddy!

The all-in-one distortion keyring is coming... That's gonna be an ITB goto, for many. Especially the experimental synthesists out here! I love midi-triggering a sine oscillator into saturation effects to explore their vibes. I'm sure I'll be locked in on this one for days, weeks!

Airwindows rolls on, as does my respect and Patronage.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Please put a gainslider in there to.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Very nice, just strapped it over the end of a 909 drum bus on an older project, - with a little touch of NC-17, CStrip, into Elations drive already setup, i added Facet on the end just see what it was capable of and instantly liked what it added, - definitely brings another different flavour to the Airwindows tone palette. The very fact one can stack so many of your saturation algorithms on top of each other, with such aggressively exciting results, while still retaining the original signals identity, - to a certain degree, - is what really makes your plugs so special to me, - they add, but without ever taking away, or getting in the way.

Cheers Chris

Xx
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search