The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom Livetrak L-8
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hardware Zoom Livetrak L-8

Zoom releases an 8-track version of their Livetrak multitrack recorders. It seems to not just be a smaller version of the L-12 and L-20 and a successor of the R8, but a competitive product to units like the Rode Podcaster. Like the Rode it has pads to play small samples/intros/jingles etc. and a mix-minus function for calls. Interesting.
The price that Thomann lists seems to be a bit odd, because it is just a few euros less than the L-12, but maybe this is due to it not being released yet. For 300,- - 350,- it would be great. On the other hand it has features the others don't have and the Rode is about 700,-.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/prod...m-livetrak-l-8

https://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_livet...ZSI6ImVuIn0%3D
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks great actually!! When the price comes down to a sensible figure anyway. No loops/rhythm or built in mics so not quite a successor to the r8 but it does seem to offer a lot of interesting possibilities..

I’m very pleased it can overdub, at least at 4x rates.

Also it is 24bit...(breathes sigh of relief) took a while to find that!

Do zoom products still run at their ‘not quite’ sample rates?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
Looks great actually!! When the price comes down to a sensible figure anyway.
Are you for real? This device has six XLR inputs, has internal memory card recording and USB i/o. You can interface it with a cell phone to record calls (including auto mix minus). It runs off USB power or four AA batteries. Sound effects pad. FOUR headphone outputs with individual volume controls.

All for $400.

If you think that's not priced affordably I don't know what to say to you. ASSUMING the mic pres and converters sound good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Are you for real? This device has six XLR inputs, has internal memory card recording and USB i/o. You can interface it with a cell phone to record calls (including auto mix minus). It runs off USB power or four AA batteries. Sound effects pad. FOUR headphone outputs with individual volume controls.

All for $400.

If you think that's not priced affordably I don't know what to say to you. ASSUMING the mic pres and converters sound good.
Hi doom, yeah it's a lot for the money, I agree, a very tempting offer because of all that they've piled in there. But the "bottom of the range" slot which was/is the R8 is a pricepoint a little way below the current..
At the "bottom of the range" position I'm not sure how much water the assumption of pres and converters sounding good holds, but fingers crossed.

I understand the target market is a little different though now. good luck to zoom I say.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If they're the same pre's as the l12 then they sound fine. I have the l12 and it's a seriously handy piece of kit for tracking bands at home. Only thing I don't like about these mixers is they are entirely made of plastic and I don't see my l12 ever surviving a fall.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used a Livetrak on one gig doing live sound for a video guy, with one singer, one guitarist, two monitors and mains The mixing system is reall odd, in that whenever you selct a mic output you have to wiggle the faders to get them to operate - the lack of actual controls mean the softare has to do it all and it is kind of a kluge. Give me a real mixer any day, but that costs more...

It is funny to me, as a professional radio producer for 45 years, how everbody is so excited about "podcasts" when they are nothing more than radio programs being sent online. But anything that reaches people with information is good!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
I used a Livetrak on one gig doing live sound for a video guy, with one singer, one guitarist, two monitors and mains The mixing system is reall odd, in that whenever you selct a mic output you have to wiggle the faders to get them to operate - the lack of actual controls mean the softare has to do it all and it is kind of a kluge. Give me a real mixer any day, but that costs more...

It is funny to me, as a professional radio producer for 45 years, how everbody is so excited about "podcasts" when they are nothing more than radio programs being sent online. But anything that reaches people with information is good!
What I love about podcasts is that they aren't restricted like broadcast radio. Commercial insertions are more organic and hosts can use "naughty words". They go in depth where radio is rushed and sometimes superficial.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
What I love about podcasts is that they aren't restricted like broadcast radio. Commercial insertions are more organic and hosts can use "naughty words". They go in depth where radio is rushed and sometimes superficial.
Depends on what radio you listen to! But yes, it is getting harder to find long form interviews - even NPR has gone almost entirely to short form magazine shows. I like having a half hour or hourlong with one guest.

I have not caught the podcast bug yet, though some of what I produce gets podcasted...

One thing I don't like is when the host blathers on for five or six minutes before getting to the guest I want to hear. A lot of Utube supposedly instrucitonal videos do the same thing.

Not a lot of professional producers to rein them in!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends on what radio you listen to! But yes, it is getting harder to find long form interviews - even NPR has gone almost entirely to short form magazine shows. I like having a half hour or hourlong with one guest.

I have not caught the podcast bug yet, though some of what I produce gets podcasted...

One thing I don't like is when the host blathers on for five or six minutes before getting to the guest I want to hear. A lot of Utube supposedly instrucitonal videos do the same thing.

I love podcasts - but you hit the nail:
Quote:
One thing I don't like is when the host blathers on for five or six minutes before getting to the guest I want to hear.
It's like I have to decide if I want to spend the next 60 minutes of my life, listening to a podcast. The podcast should convince me within 1 minute that it is worth my time. A lot of the times, if after 2 minutes I still don't know if it is worth my time, I stop listening.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

For all the good there is definitely the bad. Sponsor reads that take up 3 minutes of the first five minutes. Not letting guests finish answers. Oh yes...the best of both worlds perhaps are the after show type podcasts from pro radio studios.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search