The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces-0bfbe060-db38-44fd-961c-46b1a9bb3d9c.jpg

MOTU is now shipping the M2 and M4, two new USB bus-powered audio interfaces for Mac, Windows and iOS offering best-in-class audio quality, best-in-class speed (ultra-low latency) and best-in-class metering with a full-color LCD. With two and four channels of audio I/O, respectively, the M2 and M4 include individual 48V phantom power on both mic inputs, mono and stereo hardware (direct) monitoring, MIDI I/O and "loopback" driver channels for live-streaming and podcasting.

"The M2 and M4 deliver unmatched audio performance at an entry-level price point," said Jim Cooper, Director of Marketing at MOTU. "With simple plug-and-play operation and a complete package of bundled software, instruments and sounds, users can get started making music right away."

Best-in-class performance

Equipped with the same ESS Sabre32 Ultra™ DAC Technology found in audio interfaces costing thousands, the M2 and M4 deliver an astonishing 120 dB Dynamic Range on their outputs. ESS converters also drive the headphone output, which rivals dedicated headphone amplifiers costing hundreds. Thanks to MOTU's expertly engineered USB drivers, the M2 and M4 deliver class-leading, ultra-low 2.5 ms Round Trip Latency (with a 32 sample buffer at 96 kHz). The M2 and M4 are the only audio interfaces in their class with a full-color, high-resolution LCD featuring clear, detailed level meters for all inputs and outputs.

M2 and M4 feature highlights

• 2-in / 2-out and 4-in / 4-out USB audio interfaces with studio-quality sound
• Best-in-class audio quality driven by ESS Sabre32 Ultra™ DAC Technology
• Best-in-class speed (ultra-low latency) for host software processing
• Best-in-class metering for all inputs/outputs with a full-color LCD
• 2x mic/line/hi-Z guitar inputs on combo XLR/TRS
• Individual preamp gain and 48V phantom power for each input
• 2x balanced 1/4-inch line inputs (M4 only)
• Hardware (direct) monitoring for each input
• Monitor mix knob to balance live inputs and computer playback (M4 only)
• Measured -129 dB EIN on mic inputs
• Balanced, DC-coupled 1/4-inch TRS outputs (2x for M2; 4x for M4)
• Measured 120 dB dynamic range on the 1/4-inch balanced TRS outputs
• RCA (unbalanced) analog outs that mirror 1/4-inch outs (2x for M2; 4x for M4)
• 1x headphone out (driven by ESS converters) with independent volume control
• MIDI in/out
• Support for 44.1 to 192 kHz sample rates
• USB audio class compliant for plug-and-play operation on Mac (no driver required)
• Windows driver with 2.5 ms Round Trip Latency (32 sample buffer at 96 kHz)
• Mac driver (optional, for 2.5 ms [email protected]/96 kHz and loopback feature)
• iOS compatible (USB audio class compliant)
• Driver loopback for capturing host output, live streaming and podcasting
• Bus powered USB-C (compatible with USB Type A) with power switch (USB cable included)
• Rugged metal construction
• Workstation software included (MOTU Performer Lite 10 and Ableton Live Lite 10)
• 100+ instruments (in Performer Lite)
• Over 6 GB of included free loops, samples and one-shots from industry leading libraries
• Kensington security slot
• Built in the USA
• Two-year warranty

Pricing and availability

The M2 ($169.95 USD) and M4 ($219.95 USD) are now shipping.

Tech specs and feature summary

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/specs/

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m4/specs/

For complete info on the web

https://new.motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m2/

https://new.motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m4/
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces-m2_front.jpg   MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces-m4_front.jpg   MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces-0bfbe060-db38-44fd-961c-46b1a9bb3d9c.jpg  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 4 weeks ago at 12:38 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Links not working here ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wonder if we will see refreshes of the AVB lineup
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

No ADAT input? The M4 would have been a surefire competitor if one was included.

It has line inputs and four line outs plus MIDI so...not too shabby assuming the mic pres are solid. Two instrument inputs and better round trip latency specs...so maybe it is a competitor after all?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Where's the manual?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Difference between M2 and M4 (apart from the number of ins/outs) is the MIX knob.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

DC Coupled though, pretty nice and cheap interfaces for passing minimal CV to you modular gear imo.
ADAT would have nailed it tho.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeky83 View Post
Where's the manual?
Check the support section of MOTU's website, or contact customer service.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great price on some decent looking specs, but two things give me pause of units like these.

- USB 2.0 seems like something they should be moving beyond at this point. The newer versions would still be backwards compatible for those who have USB 2.0 on their computers, but the speed and throughput of USB 3.1 would be welcome for pro audio.
- I know the convenience of the USB powered interface is great, but that just doesn't seem like reliable power, especially with making phantom powered mics sound good. I'm guessing dynamics and ribbons might work okay.

But it's great to see that an affordable unit like this is getting a decent spec'd DAC. I'll be curious to hear reviews.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

USB2.0 is the appropriate interface for this channel count.
Bus power hasn’t been unreliable on the RME Babyfaces and I don’t see it being a problem here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
• Driver loopback for capturing host output, live streaming and podcasting
Can someone explain this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Might be good for using a looper in an iPad.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
allows you to record computer audio (youtube, etc) through your DAW.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Loop back

Quote:
You can play along to itunes or youtube and record or send to a streaming app both the youtube audio and your performance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
allows you to record computer audio (youtube, etc) through your DAW.
Thank you a lot, this is what I expected, but I wasn't sure. This makes a lot of sense for many musicians, who sometimes need to record themselves playing along with - for example - Spotify songs and simply expect every interface to allow them to do so. I have often explained to other bass players that it isn't possible with most interfaces, esp. on iOS devices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I wonder if we will see refreshes of the AVB lineup
Good question. The M2/M4 are obviously serving a very different market, so a refresh of some of the older AVB products seems like a reasonable thing to pursue in parallel. The older monochrome metering on the 1248, 16A, 24Ai/Ao looks really dated next to their newer gear - though they’re still really solid from a functional standpoint. The newer models like the 828es and 8pre-es, on the other hand, are utterly modern in every respect barring the lack of a USB-C connector, which is a pretty trivial nit in the grand scheme of things.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

low RTL latency reports?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read it as basically like UAD Console's virtual channels. You can route any audio from the computer with the capture mixer for when you are tracking new things.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you a lot, this is what I expected, but I wasn't sure. This makes a lot of sense for many musicians, who sometimes need to record themselves playing along with - for example - Spotify songs and simply expect every interface to allow them to do so. I have often explained to other bass players that it isn't possible with most interfaces, esp. on iOS devices.
Comes in handy for podcasters who use Skype or similar programs as well. Great feature!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
An honest question. For a home studio that uses outboard preamps (and doesnt need more than two inputs), how does this differ to a RME BFP outside of $? Performance specs seem really good.

I'm asking because the price has me scratching my head about "What am I missing?"

Steve
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

No info yet about exactly the limits of Performer Lite are. For the all the instruments and content, if it doesn't have any disappointing ones these could be very recommendable.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
An honest question. For a home studio that uses outboard preamps (and doesnt need more than two inputs), how does this differ to a RME BFP outside of $? Performance specs seem really good.

I'm asking because the price has me scratching my head about "What am I missing?"

Steve
Significant things missing vs RME BabyFace Pro are ADAT I/o and an equivalent to TotalMix DSP
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
Significant things missing vs RME BabyFace Pro are ADAT I/o and an equivalent to TotalMix DSP
Not if you don't need dsp
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

really happy that they came out with these (assuming they're generally as good as my old UltraLite), i'm in the market for something like this. the m4 looks like a good deal for $220, i don't think the m2 would do it for me and is only $50 less. really thinking about grabbing the m4.

anything else that i should be looking at for under $299?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
Not if you don't need dsp
That is true.. someone else has asked about a comparison of the M4 to the Babyface.

Different devices for different needs for sure. Great to have these choices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Pres have 60 db of gain FYI (this is not given on the spec sheets...an oddly common omission on AIs generally).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
really happy that they came out with these (assuming they're generally as good as my old UltraLite), i'm in the market for something like this. the m4 looks like a good deal for $220, i don't think the m2 would do it for me and is only $50 less. really thinking about grabbing the m4.

anything else that i should be looking at for under $299?
Right now you are taking a gamble since this new interface has zero reviews (professional or user) and audio samples.

I would grab this for $299.99 before someone else does:

https://www.proaudiostar.com/focusri...0-2nd-gen.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post

Steve
The Babyface Pro is a proven audio interface. It's very reliable/stable and also has a long warranty period. Has two headphone outputs, 76 dB of mic pre gain, ADAT, etc. It's also a good deal more money and therefore out of the low budget interface range.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

These interface's look interesting. On paper they look awesome with 120db of dynamic range and -110db on THD+N on the output. These are specs found in higher end converters that are no where near this price range. These could be a great interface for ITB mixers and even ITB mastering. But, as we all know, whats on paper doesn't always translate to actual performance.

Things that are missing for the High End user more digital I/O and the ability to use a external Word Clock. But, again, if i was just mixing with plugs or mastering with plugs, then these interfaces could potentially be a steal.

I would love to get my hands on one to give it a try.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search