The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MOTU releases M2 and M4 USB-C Bus Powered Interfaces
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Was wondering how this with a SSL Six front end would work.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackmastering View Post
I would love to get my hands on one to give it a try.
meeee toooo!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Right now you are taking a gamble since this new interface has zero reviews (professional or user) and audio samples.

I would grab this for $299.99 before someone else does:

https://www.proaudiostar.com/focusri...0-2nd-gen.html
man, that's a great suggestion. if i were ready to buy right now i'd probably have to go for that. quite a bit bigger than what i need (the i/o on the m4 would be perfect for me), but for that price i think i could live with that. damn, might have to think about that and see what i can do. love the layout on that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
Good. But you couldn't take advantage of the summing possibilities of the SiX, cause the M2 or M4 don't have the necessary outputs. The Ultralite would be better for this but nearly 3 times the price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think they have enough I/O to give you all the possibilities that the Six offers for mixing and summing. Recording...well any external pre can be input into the MOTU, so sure.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think these will get sales initially based on the MOTU name, but I'll wait for some feedback before showing further interest. (PS by "feedback" I don't mean industry articles, as they usually are biased well in favor of the product)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I think these will get sales initially based on the MOTU name, but I'll wait for some feedback before showing further interest. (PS by "feedback" I don't mean industry articles, as they usually are biased well in favor of the product)
I can't STAND industry articles. This is 2019 and there are still article after article with only text. Give us audio samples! Record a video with your smartphone to show us that it was actually used in your studio/recording lab.

But...that almighty advertising dollar speaks very loud. You would think the audio companies would be more forthcoming in their own marketing but...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

This looks like some good stuff. Great times for affordable interfaces. Only wish it had dsp reverb for monitoring.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can't STAND industry articles. This is 2019 and there are still article after article with only text. Give us audio samples! Record a video with your smartphone to show us that it was actually used in your studio/recording lab.

But...that almighty advertising dollar speaks very loud. You would think the audio companies would be more forthcoming in their own marketing but...
Right, not to sidetrack too much but in my earlier, more naive days, I read these and took them more to heart..."look, various articles seem to really like X" etc. Then I realized how biased they were, rarely saying anything even slightly critical. Pretty much blew it off then.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Neither have digital ins or outs, so it would work fine but not the best choice of two widgets to go together.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

this is called service-journalism. the paying clients are the manufacturers, not the consumers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Speaking of which: Sweetwater posted such a lame review I won't post it - it just gives a recap of the units. No actual opinions other than a "this is a great unit!" parrot squawk. Hopefully some word "out in the field" starts pouring in.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Looks like cool small interfaces for budget segment. It could be certainly interesting to find out, how it would stand against usual contenders in this price range.
There are few nice touches like ESS chips, OLED display, parallel RCA I/Os. I'm curious about power and output impedance of headphone output.
Also about its driver performance at Windows, which is always bit of gamble compared to OS X, where even cheapest USB class-compliant interfaces use pretty good built-in Apple streaming driver.
Initially I assumed, they would use the same stuff, they have made for AVB lineup. It matured quite well through initial woes and has some good features, like WDM drivers with access to all I/Os (that will be applicable only to M4 model of course). But briefly looking at screenshots in manual and website, it seems it's new driver package with different UI and limited options (like there's no adjustable safety buffer offset). We'll see, how it will behave.

Michal
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

O.K. I also don't find vast majority of shallow reviews useful besides of basic orientation and spreading of initial information about products.
Maybe for total newbies it can make some sense, but typically there's not much more information than you can guess from 10 sec look at face and back plate.. or 1 min. look to manual

However I don't get desire for audio samples in single audio interface review or article.. regardless of 2019.
Sure that's useful for gear, which is supposed to "make something".. like effect pedal or compressor. You can put dry/wet snippet there, you have clear reference point. Very often manufacturers do that right after launch, put some SoundCloud player at product page etc.
But for audio interface reviewed by some 3rd party it doesn't have much meaning, unless someone is doing well prepared shootout.

Even if they would like to record something just with particular interface (except of few rare exceptions, it's purposely designed to be transparent), it would have quite low informational value without clear reference and with so many variables involved.
Say with some sample recording.. if you'd like the outcome, how do you know, that any competitive product wouldn't be similar and how much audio interface involved the result.
Conversely if you won't like that outcome, how do you find, it wasn't just because of particular source. Like some acoustic guitar recording that feels chemical, boxy, whatever.. is that because of audio interface, instrument, strings, mic model, mic position, room.. similarly with vocals or so.

Speaking of built-in mic pres, it's also problematic to do some meaningful comparison, where you'd hear some difference, unless you push it to top of gain range and use some mics with significant interplay between input and output impedance. In another words, if I'd like to show, how almost anything sounds nice.. I'd pick any reasonable condenser mic with buffered out and higher level.

So recently I see rather other issue, as people put so much emphasis on various half-assed YT gear reviews (of course not all of them, again reasonable competitive comparison or honest walk-through including weaknesses might be very good). It's sometimes very hard to explain them drawbacks and involved variables there. And I'm not talking just about interfaces, but sometimes crazily also stuff like recorded nearfield monitors, random microphone tests etc.

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 3 weeks ago at 02:23 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
I don't get desire for audio samples in single audio interface review or article
I agree. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but as you say, there are too many variables to really be useful. If they had a "shootout" where all the variables were the same except for the AI and included the shootout, it might be.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
PS does anyone have the USB-C connectors? I don't so I'd have to get an adapter, but I doubt that is an issue. Just wondering if anyone notices any diffs (ie better in any way).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speaking of which: Sweetwater posted such a lame review I won't post it - it just gives a recap of the units. No actual opinions other than a "this is a great unit!" parrot squawk. Hopefully some word "out in the field" starts pouring in.
there are no reviews for either of these at Sweetwater. the over the top product description? yeah, everyone does that.

i thought i saw the m4 in stock the other day (??), maybe they sold out? might have been looking at the m2, which it does say is in stock.

Quote:
... I would grab this for $299.99 before someone else does:

https://www.proaudiostar.com/focusri...0-2nd-gen.html
are you sure about this thing? the reviews at Guitar Center (the first page i looked at) weren't very promising, a lot of confusion on getting it set up with Windows. i didn't think much of it at first, but there were a lot of reviews like that. i figure it can't be too bad? they're pretty popular interfaces. i've been pretty lucky in that most everything "just works" for me, i not overly worried about it but wanted to ask.

really though, my needs are pretty modest. the Focusrite looks feature packed and has plenty more i/o, but the m4 should do everything i need an interface to do right now. for the past year i've been using a Maschine MK3, which is bare bones and i don't think it's too great of an interface (??). at the moment i'm making do with my Roland TR-8S as an interface, which i'm almost less thrilled with. i'd probably be just fine with the m4, but that Focusrite looks like too good of a deal to pass up and would allow for future expansion if i need it down the line (trying to still keep myself as ITB as i can).

i used a firewire MOTU UltraLite MK1 for over ten years (still using it as a mixer) which was rock solid on XP and Windows 7. i can't imagine they could screw up too bad with the new stuff (??).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
PS does anyone have the USB-C connectors? I don't so I'd have to get an adapter, but I doubt that is an issue. Just wondering if anyone notices any diffs (ie better in any way).
I'm not 100% certain what your question is, but if it's just about USB-C as a connector in general?

The USB-C connector style is nice and slim, which means it can be used equipment with tight space constraints (only relevant here because it can and does appear on devices like the latest iPad Pro, for example, which makes this a nice interface for the newest iPad.)

The USB-C connector is orientation agnostic. You can flip it over, plug it in, and it works the same way. This may seem like a minor thing, but I'm good and tired of peering behind devices to figure out which way is up on the USB-A connector.

The USB-C connector can carry a lot more power than USB-A, which is probably not relevant here. It is really nice being able to charge my laptop with the same, single cable that connects to everything else (audio, video, etc.)

The USB-C connector is also used by Thunderbolt 3 and will be used for Thunderbolt 4. Again, one connector serving multiple purposes is really nice (ports on a laptop can all accept power, USB, and/or Thunderbolt.) Also not relevant in this case.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
there are no reviews for either of these at Sweetwater.
You're right I just made it up
Old 3 weeks ago
Just got my hands on one of these, I'm not yet sure how it will perform against my apogee duet IOS, I prefer to hold back from hasty reviews, but the headphone output seems pretty high quality / sweet / and the sound over the monitors is...different, but i can't say (yet) if it's worse.
I still have to check latency.
Preamplifiers are sufficient, but I am also used to the Apogee preamplifier with 75db on Duet vs 60db on the M4.
All in all, it's no disappointment, especially considering the price.
What I definitely like is the possibility to connect a second pair of monitors.
And the nice OLED display.
I will report more if there is interest and time allows it, so long!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Please do!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
I will report more if there is interest and time allows it, so long!
MOTU should be paying you, LOL.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I have a M2 coming today. I'll try to post my initial thoughts tonight. For me, I'm more concerned on the Output and Headphones since I'm primarily ITB working on mixes.

I'm going to compare it to a bunch of interfaces I have laying around in the coming days (Apollo (older rack duo), Avid HD Omni, Apogee PSX100, Focusrite 2nd Gen 2i2, and a Steinberg UR22) to see how holds up on the output side.

I will say converters are like studio monitors, everyone has a opinion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
When you guys with units post feedback, could you be kind enough to let us know your OS & DAW?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
MOTU should be paying you, LOL.
Yeeees, I wish Motu would do this :o)
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Please do!
Here it is: Addendum: Overall I am surprised how good the device sounds, maybe a little less clear in the low frequencies (I'm not completely sure about that yet) but mid and high frequencies come across very clearly and detailed. I have some reference tracks / Autechre Amber /, the crackling and percussion on this track is very clear, reverb tails too.
Also REM / Loosing My Religion / is an indicator for me how the acoustic guitars and the mandolin are perceived, and here as well is nothing to complain about, bass and drums are also very accentuated.
With Periphery / Frak The Gods / I feared a smearing of the lowend because of all the shredding, over headphones this was unfounded, it's a little different to listening on the monitors, slightly less defined, but this can also be due to the monitors / Focal CMS 40 /…
I know it all sounds like an advertising brochure from MOTU, but it's not, I'm actually impressed by the small interface, bye for now…
Oooops, forgot to mention: MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave / Logic Pro X

Last edited by andyfromHH; 3 weeks ago at 08:08 PM.. Reason: forgot OS and DAW
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromHH View Post
Here it is: Addendum: Overall I am surprised how good the device sounds, maybe a little less clear in the low frequencies (I'm not completely sure about that yet) but mid and high frequencies come across very clearly and detailed. I have some reference tracks / Autechre Amber /, the crackling and percussion on this track is very clear, reverb tails too.
Also REM / Loosing My Religion / is an indicator for me how the acoustic guitars and the mandolin are perceived, and here as well is nothing to complain about, bass and drums are also very accentuated.
With Periphery / Frak The Gods / I feared a smearing of the lowend because of all the shredding, over headphones this was unfounded, it's a little different to listening on the monitors, slightly less defined, but this can also be due to the monitors / Focal CMS 40 /…
I know it all sounds like an advertising brochure from MOTU, but it's not, I'm actually impressed by the small interface, bye for now…
Oooops, forgot to mention: MacOS 10.14.6 Mojave / Logic Pro X
Thanks! Seems like an interesting little box. My only concern with MOTU is that they talk up the DAC but are their converters good too?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I only got 30 mins to really try out my M2.

Overall I had a similar experience as AndyfromHH

I was only listening with headphones and didnt do any tracking with it. I found that it did preform well. It definitely met my expectations with headphones. Still have to hook it up to my monitors, but so far I’m impressed with the D/A conversion.

For a sub $200 interface, it’s extremely good.

As for my testing environment, MacBook Pro OSX 10.12 and ProTools 12.7.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have heard it in person. Really impressive sounding conversion for sure. Nice robust headphone amp that powered my dt770 without flinching.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Nice! Would be nice to know about Asio drivers performance on windows. If it's as good as advertised then I guess MOTU has a winner here
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search