The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wavesfactory releases Cassette
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
I'm curious how these trends happen. I mean all of a sudden there comes a bunch of cassette plugins out of nowhere in a really short period of time. Either these guys are really fast at developing their plugins or it's some kind of collective thinking/morphic resonance.

This is the first one that got me really interested though.
I wish I would be able to work that fast

The first version of the GUI is from June, 2017. This is a mystery for me too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Not feeling this.the "wow and flutter"and degradation seem to be macro'd phase and amplitude modulation and why is it that on every single saturation plugin i care to think of when you get into conservative amounts of distortion territory the transients crap out to the point of being completely unusable.these seems completely at odds with what i know portastudios to do for instance which low ips tape machines seem to "swallow"the transients rather than clip them.it's also missing the higher voiced low mid thud that is evident on portastudios and cassette decks too when RMS matched.i hope IK Multimedia consider doing some consumer cassette decks as the modelling in their TMC was pretty much there.i do like the NR companding algo in Sketch Cassette it brought up the release of sounds without sounding overblown, but i found the take on the degradation comical

to demonstrate what i mean.try put a pokey drum machine sound like the Linn through a tape plugin.most tape plugins seem to further exaggerate the poking initial transient or they blur it with clipping (which the antialiasing filters sometimes exacerbate),whereas tape itself seems to shape it to some degree
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

wasn't expecting much, but this thing is pretty amazing. this does pretty much exactly what i wanted/expected a cassette emulation to do, without going overboard. i find the range of usability to be rather slim, but what it's doing on certain settings seems just perfect. a subtle "gluing" and "focus", harshness rolled off (that i didn't even realize was there without it), sounds amazing on classic drum machine sounds/tracks. makes everything sound like my old cassette recordings from 20+ years ago. i don't like the sound of pushing the input or obvious degradation effects, but i don't even feel that you need to do that with this. if i want saturation/distortion i'll just put something else in front of it.

the only other thing i've tried is 'DAWcassette', which seems like a "caricature" (over-exaggeration) of cassette in comparison (though still pretty cool). this one just seems perfect (as long as you don't push it too far), i want to run everything through it from now on. love how the different modes work better than others on different source material, allows for all sorts of "individual character" finding different combinations that work best.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Load of bollocks....sounds nothing like the upper-level domestic cassette decks I used from the 70's thru early 2000's: Nakamichi, Harmon Kardon, even Kenwood with Dolby HX Pro

For starters these decks allowed you to fine tune the bias and equalization of the various tape types, so that the net result was a minimization of the differences that are claimed to be exploited in this plug-in by selecting between tape types (eg ferric oxide, Chrome dioxide, ferrichrome etc)

This plug in would have you believe that by selecting the Chrome and ferrichrome settings, that you simply got a thinner, steelier sound with less perceived bass. With the true cassette, this would only happen if you neglected to switch the tape type on the front panel....a really basic and stupid error....worthy of laughter and ridicule...like putting diesel fuel in your petrol/gasoline car.

I suppose that because I always bought and used tape decks from this upper echelon of the market, and avoided cheapo tapes for the best in each of the tape-type classes, and set the incoming signal (plus Dolby noise reduction when appropriate) so that the tape was operating in it's lowest-distortion and most linear response range...the resulting tapes were on a par with the vinyl LP's and later the CD's that I was copying from. Indeed the sound was very close to semi-pro open reel tapes, the sort of 2 track mixdown tapes coming out of studios.

Coming at this new gimmick from the standpoint of the cassette medium at its best from the mid 70's onward, I just have to give a wry smile at the 'distortion/saturation effects plugin' that's being sold here....which probably makes a fair facsimile of a poorly aligned and grossly abused medium, when used in the extreme settings shown...which bears no relation to the sort of tapes I was making back then.

So, welcome to a ham-fisted attempt at myth creation....believe me, unless neglected, pushed beyond any sensible operating limits or ignoring basic tape-selection switching (which every cassette tape machine of domestic /non-dictation status had) this is yet another signal altering plug-in, like the 100's which precede it.

As a low priced distortion/saturation plugin it's fine for that purpose...it just bears little resemblance to the cassette medium I grew up with, loved and respected
Old 1 week ago
adl
Lives for gear

Definitely some mixed views on this little gem.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
... sounds nothing like the upper-level domestic cassette decks I used from the 70's thru early 2000's: Nakamichi, Harmon Kardon, even Kenwood with Dolby HX Pro ...
lol, couldn't care less. never used any of those, that's not my memory of "cassette".

Quote:
... I suppose that because I always bought and used tape decks from this upper echelon of the market, and avoided cheapo tapes for the best in each of the tape-type classes, and set the incoming signal (plus Dolby noise reduction when appropriate) so that the tape was operating in it's lowest-distortion and most linear response range...the resulting tapes were on a par with the vinyl LP's and later the CD's that I was copying from. Indeed the sound was very close to semi-pro open reel tapes, the sort of 2 track mixdown tapes coming out of studios.

Coming at this new gimmick from the standpoint of the cassette medium at its best from the mid 70's onward, I just have to give a wry smile at the 'distortion/saturation effects plugin' that's being sold here....which probably makes a fair facsimile of a poorly aligned and grossly abused medium, when used in the extreme settings shown...which bears no relation to the sort of tapes I was making back then.

... As a low priced distortion/saturation plugin it's fine for that purpose...it just bears little resemblance to the cassette medium I grew up with, loved and respected
?? uhh... that's nice? a lot of us were using whatever consumer deck we had at the time, and barely considered any of that. this certainly reminds of that 80s/90s lo-fi sound in more ways than anything else i've used.

i'm not pushing this into "poorly aligned and grossly abused" territory, and find that it has a killer compression/glue/roundness thing going on. certainly more than just saturation. like i said above, i wasn't even pushing the input as the saturation sort of ruins it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Question

Quote:
Load of bollocks....sounds nothing like the upper-level domestic cassette decks I used from the 70's thru early 2000's: Nakamichi, Harmon Kardon, even Kenwood with Dolby HX Pro

For starters these decks allowed you to fine tune the bias and equalization of the various tape types, so that the net result was a minimization of the differences that are claimed to be exploited in this plug-in by selecting between tape types (eg ferric oxide, Chrome dioxide, ferrichrome etc)

This plug in would have you believe that by selecting the Chrome and ferrichrome settings, that you simply got a thinner, steelier sound with less perceived bass. With the true cassette, this would only happen if you neglected to switch the tape type on the front panel....a really basic and stupid error....worthy of laughter and ridicule...like putting diesel fuel in your petrol/gasoline car.

I suppose that because I always bought and used tape decks from this upper echelon of the market, and avoided cheapo tapes for the best in each of the tape-type classes, and set the incoming signal (plus Dolby noise reduction when appropriate) so that the tape was operating in it's lowest-distortion and most linear response range...the resulting tapes were on a par with the vinyl LP's and later the CD's that I was copying from. Indeed the sound was very close to semi-pro open reel tapes, the sort of 2 track mixdown tapes coming out of studios.

So, welcome to a ham-fisted attempt at myth creation....believe me, unless neglected, pushed beyond any sensible operating limits or ignoring basic tape-selection switching (which every cassette tape machine of domestic /non-dictation status had) this is yet another signal altering plug-in, like the 100's which precede it.

As a low priced distortion/saturation plugin it's fine for that purpose...it just bears little resemblance to the cassette medium I grew up with, loved and respected
Fascinating how someone could not see the artistic excellence of this plugin. It sounds like you used different equipments than what’s been emulated here, but putting down this plugin because of what you think is the ‘right’ cassette sound is so old-mindset.

Saying that this plugin is just ‘fine for its purpose’ is ignorant of the work that went in here. The ease of use, gui, ability to exclude frequency response or artifacts, recall etc make this so much more versatile and useful than a real high end equipment will ever be.

I never engage in negativity but this comment was genuinely fascinating for some reason.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
... putting down this plugin because of what you think is the ‘right’ cassette sound ...
i'm surprised that pretty much anyone would equate the sound of "cassette" recording with high end tape decks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

yeah exactly - cassette for the general audience means wonky, unstable, distorted, coloured etc etc
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i'm surprised that pretty much anyone would equate the sound of "cassette" recording with high end tape decks.
Yes, it seems to me that the best use of this plugin is as a "lo-fi" processor, similar to what you would do with proo tools lo-fi or the new nembrini one. I would be interestes to hear if somebody is finding other uses.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massan View Post
yeah exactly - cassette for the general audience means wonky, unstable, distorted, coloured etc etc
Never was for me or my friends when using the genuine article all those decades ago....still, it sounds like you're just repeating some "common folk tale wisdom about the medium" that you've read countless times on internet forums, so that this has become 'truth' for you ? How many cassette recorders/players have you owned ?

That's ok though....hold onto your mythology, especially if helps the developer to sell a new plugin to you.

If I want to apply 'that cassette sound' to a track(s) or mix, I have the genuine working hardware sitting right next to me here now....I'll skip the pale imitation
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
Fascinating how someone could not see the artistic excellence of this plugin. It sounds like you used different equipments than what’s been emulated here, but putting down this plugin because of what you think is the ‘right’ cassette sound is so old-mindset.

Saying that this plugin is just ‘fine for its purpose’ is ignorant of the work that went in here. The ease of use, gui, ability to exclude frequency response or artifacts, recall etc make this so much more versatile and useful than a real high end equipment will ever be.

I never engage in negativity but this comment was genuinely fascinating for some reason.
Just comparing it to the actual, working hardware here at home...that's all. The plugin falls short. If you don't have the hardware, you might be convinced by the sales pitch that this software is a faithful emulation of it.

It isn't...but I'm sure for those seeking a lo-fi grunge effect, or even some sort of mojo analog warming/thickening, it will do the job just fine....
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never was for me or my friends when using the genuine article all those decades ago. ...
lol, the "genuine article". as if we've never used a cassette deck before.

Quote:
...still, it sounds like you're just repeating some "common folk tale wisdom about the medium" that you've read countless times on internet forums, so that this has become 'truth' for you?
man, i think we know what "cassette tape" sounds like. many of us grew up on boom box recordings and mix tapes, which is what this is going for.

Quote:
... How many cassette recorders/players have you owned?
several? they all sounded "like crap", but good crap. just like this.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just comparing it to the actual, working hardware here at home...that's all. The plugin falls short. If you don't have the hardware, you might be convinced by the sales pitch that this software is a faithful emulation of it.

It isn't...but I'm sure for those seeking a lo-fi grunge effect, or even some sort of mojo analog warming/thickening, it will do the job just fine....
Remember no two tape machines are the same either - nothing in the analogue World is. And the tape you are using will play a huge role in the sound.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

I didn't realize anyone actually coveted cassette for 'hi fi' reasons ... I've always considered it more of a lo-fi, hissy nostalgic medium compared to everything else.

Anyway --

I love crushing, breaking, and smooshing things sonically. This plugin, obviously, does that. Coupled with all the wow and flutter controls as well as azimuth tweak-ability, I find 'Cassette' to be a steal at the introductory price. I'll definitely be using both on the music side of things, as well as the post production side.

Thanks for the wonderful and inspiring tool(s) Wavesfactory!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

this looks awesome! would love to make some weird melodies then run it through here, then sample and chop it up.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

2 real world examples of good vs. bad cassette tape types.

the good

at 7:55 watch the display switching between Tape and Source

the bad

at 9:50
Old 6 days ago
pho
Gear Head
I just spent the past two hours twisting knobs, what a fun plugin to use and listen to! I'll be spreading this across a punk'n'roll band I'm recording next week and they will love it, too.

For now I found lots of great sounds on the two bus, a joy to turn all the possibilities to extremes and squeeze the sh*t out of that carefully balanced mix, with all the super fiddly 0.02 dB side only linear phase Weiss magnificence.

For useable results in a real world environment this needs a little more finesse too though, of course.

Good work, fun to use, well priced, more power to you!
Old 6 days ago
Do I need my 4th cassette plugin? hmmmmmm
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Nakamichi and Harmon Kardon upper echelon of the market? Was he having a laugh?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer View Post
Nakamichi and Harmon Kardon upper echelon of the market? Was he having a laugh?
I guess you're going to nominate Revox or Tascam, right ?
Old 6 days ago
trg
Gear Nut
Man, I do love that plugin! Maybe the "plasticky" GUI could give a hint to those complaining about it not being a Nakamichi 5-head triple capstan.

This thing takes me back to my youth, to the countless mix tapes I made and the months of hard work to save up for that Technics double deck just to make crappy 2x speed copies for friends, and the many hours I was sitting in front of the radio waiting for that one song and then quickly press record, and my little brother yelling at my mom to switch the radio back on in the middle of the song.

I like the subtlety or mayhem and all that sweet middle ground between the two, that Cassette offers. I don't care how the plugin creates that result, if it's just eq or "obvious lowpassfilter", or phase things or whatever secret or lame sauce. For me, the end result counts. This is as well not something I would put on every track on every mix. It has it's purpose and I think it's great for exactly that.

Just bad timing for Wavesfactory that I won't buy Old Tape Piano now, which I was about to do, and instead run my own pianos through Cassette.

EDIT: Oh, of course a big thank you to the developpers for the fair intro price
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

What there is, which can´t be created by using combination of Goodhertz Wow control + iZotope Vinyl + AudioThing Reels + McDSP FuzzBox + Audioease Speakerphone 2?

I happen to have all these, in addition to several saturation and tape plugins.

If someone can define the above in a credible way, I will buy the plugin instantly.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
What there is, which can´t be created by using combination of Goodhertz Wow control + iZotope Vinyl + AudioThing Reels + McDSP FuzzBox + Audioease Speakerphone 2?

If someone can define the above in a credible way, I will buy the plugin instantly.
I think if you already own all of those plugins, you are just paying for convenience - you can load one plugin rather than 6. Of course, if you don't already own all of those plugins, then this seems a pretty economical route to getting this sound, if that's what you want.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post

I think another way of looking at it might be ...

If you watch the entire demo and hear a sound you can't make with that combo, would that be of value to you? And of the sounds you CAN make with your previously mentioned plugin combination, can you get to that same result faster / better with Cassette?

Personally, if I'm thinking of how a an old dirty cassette sound might be cool with some sonic element I'm working with, I don't want to load up five different plugins to get that job done if there's a way to do it with one. That's obviously my opinion / preference, but that simplification of workflow is something I always see as valuable.

That, and the intro price is ridiculously competitive (about $30) -- especially when compared to things like Speakerphone (about $500), Futzbox ($129), Wow Control ($129), and Reels ($59).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

16 year old me in the late '80s with my Fostex cassette 4 track recorder wishing I could record on one of those fancy and expensive digital multitrack recorders. Me in 2019 thinking I should try Wavesfactory Cassette to dirty up my sterile digital multitrack recordings and instil some mojo into them. Will I ever be satisfied...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massan View Post
nope , until we heard cd's
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search