The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MANTIS 2 - A new Acqua library by SoundDrops is out!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by osterhazy View Post
Hi SteDal,

Thanks for your fast reply! I’m sorry if I was not clear about the installation procedure I followed. I did not install Mantis2 manually like my other N4 libraries – which are indeed all installed as in the old days with Nebula 3. I installed Mantis2 automatically with Aquarius as you suggest and I did give Aquarius the correct path of my n4temprepository. Just to make sure that what I did was correct I just installed the Titaniumbasstard as N4 library using exact the same settings as I used in Aquarius for the Mantis2 installation. Titaniumbasstard installed correct and Cubase did not blacklist its dll’s in my Aquaplugins folder.

The bug which makes N4 Aqua’s loose their settings on re-opening a project is indeed also there with Titaniumbasstard! Could you explain the difference between this format and the N4 format. Is there any benefit in using the one or the other? If there’s not I could get rid of the setting bug by installing the vst2 version and uninstall the N4 version.

Thanks for looking into this minor problem (Mantis2 does work, and very well too!) even if it is not saving its settings and getting blacklisted by Cubase – which is rather baffling…

All the best,
Roeland
Roeland, please let me understand a thing: what do you mean by "N4/VST2 version"?

I'm asking you because AFAIK the so-called N4-x64 installation is the 'normal' way to install an Acqua library, which you can find in the regular N4 program browser under the 'Acqua Library or Effect' tab.
This kind of file format doesn't need to be scanned and enabled by Cubase or any other DAW. It's an entry within the N4 browser.
Then you may install the same library as 'N4 VST2 (or3)-x64'. This is a regular VST format and as such it's scanned and listed in your DAW as a separate entry in the VST plug-in window.

So I need to get this thing right first, before attempting a solution...

And re: the lost setting at reload time, as I wrote you yesterday, just try to rollback N4 version to N000 (Aquarius, Update tab). It should solve the problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
Roeland, please let me understand a thing: what do you mean by "N4/VST2 version"?

I'm asking you because AFAIK the so-called N4-x64 installation is the 'normal' way to install an Acqua library, which you can find in the regular N4 program browser under the 'Acqua Library or Effect' tab.
This kind of file format doesn't need to be scanned and enabled by Cubase or any other DAW. It's an entry within the N4 browser.
Then you may install the same library as 'N4 VST2 (or3)-x64'. This is a regular VST format and as such it's scanned and listed in your DAW as a separate entry in the VST plug-in window.

So I need to get this thing right first, before attempting a solution...

And re: the lost setting at reload time, as I wrote you yesterday, just try to rollback N4 version to N000 (Aquarius, Update tab). It should solve the problem.
Hi SteDal,

By the N4 version I mean the N4-x64 installation which you explain is the ‘normal’ way to Install an Aqua library. In my case the DLL’s from the N4 installation do get scanned by Cubase. I have figured out that this is the result of my choice to install the n4temprepository on a different drive then my operating system.

I do this for 2 reasons. 1) All the samples of my ‘old style’ N4 libraries (TimP, Cupwise etc.) my Aqua’s and your Mantis library, take op 50 Gb of disk space, which put unnecessary strain and take up unnecessary space on the SSD with my operating system. And 2) I understand that is still good practice to run your samples from a different drive then your operating system which has Cubase. All major companies producing VST instruments with samples (Spitfire, NI and VSL, East West etc, etc. advise this). As all Aqua’s or N4 libraries are built from samples, which have to be loaded every time you use a plug-in or adjust a setting, I gathered that it would be wise to put them on a disk exclusively dedicated to samples.

In Cubase it is no problem using a different drive then the operating system for samples. You can tell Cubase to scan any drive you wish for VST2 instruments and or FX plugins in the preferences of the VST plug-in Manager. So in these preferences I have included the N4temprository on my F drive as a location to scan for VST2 plug-ins.

So all the XLM’s in the n4temprepository on my F drive are scanned by Cubase – as of course they also would if I installed my temprepository on my C drive. I have Azure2, Magenta, Titaniumbasstard, your great new Scarlet4, and your great older Water2 (Wow what a compressor!), the Caribou compressor by Prime Studio and the older Violet compressor from Acustica. Not one off their XLM’s is blacklisted by Cubase – your Water and Scarlet libraries also don’t give any trouble.

Only the Mantis XLM’s are blacklisted, also if I install the VSTt2 version (the separate VST plug-in). As stated earlier, this is strange, but no problem as at all because although Cubase blacklists the XLM’s the plug-in is loaded as it should. I only discovered that when looking under the hood by clicking the edit button on N4, In a 96 K project, Mantis loads 44K samples. (Sorry for this new problem).

PS. I understood that the loss of the settings of the N4 libraries is a bug that needs to be addressed in a future update of N4 and that at the meantime rolling back tot the N000 version is the temporary solution.

Sorry for this long post…

All the best!
Roeland
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
This is a great compressor when you want to play with the size of an instrument/vocal without loosing the low end depth. It seems that if you push this harder the low end bloom is retained and not lost like with some other compressors.

I have used it with quite a heavy compression and it seems to not loose size even then. I love the laid back colour.
I wonder if these are typical characteristics of a PWM type of compression?

So far the mix bus and double bass seem to benefit the most from these characteristics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
This is a great compressor when you want to play with the size of an instrument/vocal without loosing the low end depth. It seems that if you push this harder the low end bloom is retained and not lost like with some other compressors.

I have used it with quite a heavy compression and it seems to not loose size even then. I love the laid back colour.
I wonder if these are typical characteristics of a PWM type of compression?

So far the mix bus and double bass seem to benefit the most from these characteristics.
So happy to hear this!

Yes, I've noted the same thing: at low ratios, Mantis is especially gracious to low frequencies, to the point that you don't have to reach for the HP sidechain filter as often as you would with a typical compressor.

Maybe that's because in my other life I play double bass for a living...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
So happy to hear this!

Yes, I've noted the same thing: at low ratios, Mantis is especially gracious to low frequencies, to the point that you don't have to reach for the HP sidechain filter as often as you would with a typical compressor.

Yeah, I did not even mention but it was on 1,5:1 and 2:1 ratios as you said.
I would guess it is some kind of frequency dependant ratio thing happening. That got me wondering if that is a be general PWM comp characteristic.

The only other PWM type comp I have had experience with is Viridian which is nice, but lack of variable attack makes it less usable for me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
So happy to hear this!

Interesting, I mainly use Mantis to deal with double bass and piano. They are both challenging instruments for different reasons, double bass has a tendency to have very erratic performance dynamics that are challenging to preserve (articulation is rarely even through the performance, and it is almost a treat to get some form of clean finger noise).

I usually find a setting on Mantis by dialling in the attack and release at higher rations, then relax it back to 1.5. 1.5 is pretty much perfect for all the jazz I through at it.

The way it preserves low end makes it incredibly useful as a piano compressor - melody lines don't trigger excessive compression of supporting chords.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
... I usually find a setting on Mantis by dialling in the attack and release at higher rations, then relax it back to 1.5. 1.5 is pretty much perfect for all the jazz I through at it...
Exactly my procedure, but for all comps really.
I have not yet tried it on piano and I would love to find a go-to for piano finally.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
Exactly my procedure, but for all comps really.
I have not yet tried it on piano and I would love to find a go-to for piano finally.
I tend to split my piano track into loud and soft channels and set the compressors to each style. I've never found a single hardware or software compressor that had a setting I could rely on for a whole song for piano. I'll often use something like Multiplicity to target any icepicks in the melody, then use something to shape the overall performance dynamic. Mantis does seem quite natural at that task. I used Amber for a while, but it tends to make the transients stick out separately.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi.

A quick heads-up for all who asked for it...

The trial version of MANTIS2 has just been updated. Now it is exactly the same as the commercial version, of course except for the 30-day limited usage period.

Now it's the right time to do yourself a favor and take a test drive, in case you haven't yet...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi.

A quick heads-up for all who asked for it...

The trial version of MANTIS2 has just been updated. Now it is exactly the same as the commercial version, of course except for the 30-day limited usage period.

Now it's the right time to do yourself a favor and take a test drive, in case you haven't yet...
Hi, just to make sure:
I see trial on v.B000 and commercial on v.F000.
Both are equal at core?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar View Post
Hi, just to make sure:
I see trial on v.B000 and commercial on v.F000.
Both are equal at core?
Confirmed, they should be the same version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Confirmed, they should be the same version.
Perfect, I`ll give it another round.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

damn, really going to remove the early access pricing on Black Friday? I've had it in my cart for the checkout I'll be doing today (didn't want to risk not having a code for today).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhifile View Post
damn, really going to remove the early access pricing on Black Friday? I've had it in my cart for the checkout I'll be doing today (didn't want to risk not having a code for today).
Nooo!

Where on earth did you get that info? It wouldn't be a great commercial strategy, would it?

Of course the low intro price for Mantis2 is still there, but also my other libraries (presently Henry-Q Germanium Inductor Eq and Pureteq Passive Eq bundle) are offered at a special 30% discounted price.

So, now's the time... if you haven't done it yet, go, try 'em, grab 'em!!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Nooo!

Where on earth did you get that info? It wouldn't be a great commercial strategy, would it?

Of course the low intro price for Mantis2 is still there, but also my other libraries (presently Henry-Q Germanium Inductor Eq and Pureteq Passive Eq bundle) are offered at a special 30% discounted price.

So, now's the time... if you haven't done it yet, go, try 'em, grab 'em!!!
Nice, thanks! Well, Mantus 2 was just changed to 30% off on the Acustica website. Late last night, I noticed it changed to the full price on the website BTW.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search