The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MANTIS 2 - A new Acqua library by SoundDrops is out!
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexishere View Post
Is Stedal the reason behind why the comps sound so amazing?
100%!
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
100%!
thats why sand 3 comp sounds so good?
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
thats why sand 3 comp sounds so good?
Not sure if SteDal did the Sand 3 comp? Know he did the home brew G & E EQ though. I seem to recall he also did the YROY comps in the N4 library and I may get slayed for it but they are sometimes amazing - I absolutely love them on piano. The Distressor sounds clean but can really clamp down musically for my purposes.
Old 2nd November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Not sure if SteDal did the Sand 3 comp? Know he did the home brew G & E EQ though. I seem to recall he also did the YROY comps in the N4 library and I may get slayed for it but they are sometimes amazing - I absolutely love them on piano. The Distressor sounds clean but can really clamp down musically for my purposes.
Confirmed.
As far as Sand 3, I've also sampled the new channel compressor, but that was it.
It didn't sound bad at all in its raw state, but then GC applied some of his magic code to model the A&R curves exactly on the original ones, and that did the trick.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Acustica would make so much more progress if they were clever enough to hire people like TimP who know their business. There is progress, still it could be much faster.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteDal View Post
Unfortunately you've stumbled into the bug that affects latest versions of N4 when 3rd-party libraries are loaded in certain systems.
Acustica is aware of the problem and is working for a solution.
I use N4 Player in Mac and I have to stay at the February version.

This has been a known issue for quite a few months now, hope it gets fixed ASAP.

Anyway, thanks very much for the free Mantis 2 update. Mantis 1 has always been one of the best AA compressors in my opinion.

The new GUI on Mantis 2 is very cool, simple yet stylish and functional, great colour scheme. Much prefer this type of GUI.

I’ve only had time to quickly load the MB version, looking forward to digging deeper today.

Great work Stedal, thanks again.
Old 2nd November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Confirmed.
As far as Sand 3, I've also sampled the new channel compressor, but that was it.
It didn't sound bad at all in its raw state, but then GC applied some of his magic code to model the A&R curves exactly on the original ones, and that did the trick.
who is GC?
Old 3rd November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
who is GC?
...aka Zaphod around here...
Old 3rd November 2019
Lives for gear

Tried Mantis 1 when it came out but didn‘t pull the trigger, thinking I could live without it. Will def. try version 2 tomorrow with a fresh mind/ears & curious for the 2-band version!
Old 3rd November 2019
Gear Maniac

Important note for all MANTIS 2 BUNDLE users!

A new version of MANTIS 2 BUNDLE will be released shortly, possibly at the beginning of next week. It will bring a much requested additional feature for MANTIS2 and MANTIS2 SC (the single-band compressors).

MANTIS 2 - A new Acqua library by SoundDrops is out!-mantis2_new.png

With this update, both pre-amp and clipper sections can be enabled independently by means of 2 separate buttons, similarly to what is already possible in MANTIS MB and MB-Ex multi-band compressors.
This addition will bring new versatile options as far as independent harmonic and transient control.

But there's a small price to pay:

these new versions of single-band MANTIS2 and MANTIS2 SC compressors will not no longer be compatible with the previous ones.

If you've already used MANTIS2 or MANTIS2 SC in your projects, you'll have to take a quick note of the settings for each used instance before upgrading.

Keep also in mind that it's always possible to up/downgrade any Acqua library to any past or present version by means of the scroll-down menu in the 'Updates' tab of Aquarius.

Sorry for the small inconvenience: I've been thinking about it, and in the end I decided it is absolutely worth the trouble.

Attached Thumbnails
MANTIS 2 - A new Acqua library by SoundDrops is out!-mantis2_new.png  
Old 3rd November 2019
Gear Nut

Thumbs up Dual mono?

Does Mantis 2 have a dual mono mode?
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman360 View Post
Does Mantis 2 have a dual mono mode?
No. Being mainly a bus compressor, the detector sidechain Mantis2 always takes into account both input channels.

I don't know about your DAW and system, however in Reaper it's dead easy to arrange two instances of any plug-in in a track so that each of them operates independently on a single input channel...
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. Being mainly a bus compressor, the detector sidechain Mantis2 always takes into account both input channels.

I don't know about your DAW and system, however in Reaper it's dead easy to arrange two instances of any plug-in in a track so that each of them operates independently on a single input channel...
Definitely not dead easy. Having to match parameters on 2 plugin windows makes things 4x as hard.

All mastering engineers I know always run compressors with the sides unlinked. It’s a more important feature than many realize.
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry for the small inconvenience: I've been thinking about it, and in the end I decided it is absolutely worth the trouble.
Thanks for the news.
It is probably too late but...

I miss not having the HPF in the MB version of Mantis 2.
I know you could set the Low band to act like a HPF.
But I think it would be really useful to have the HPF as well.
That way you could use the HPF in the low band before dialing in settings to suit.
Old 4th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Definitely not dead easy. Having to match parameters on 2 plugin windows makes things 4x as hard.

All mastering engineers I know always run compressors with the sides unlinked. It’s a more important feature than many realize.
Agreed. Unlinking is an important feature. Variable linking amount even better.
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

@ SteDal
Are there besides Cobalt and Cola any other Acqua PWM Compressors?
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Thanks for the news.
It is probably too late but...

I miss not having the HPF in the MB version of Mantis 2.
I know you could set the Low band to act like a HPF.
But I think it would be really useful to have the HPF as well.
That way you could use the HPF in the low band before dialing in settings to suit.
Yes, too late...

But a good suggestion for a future Mantis 3, thanks.
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Ok, let's make it just 'moderately easy'...

Again, it's a bit late now for other substantial changes in Mantis2, but I'll surely take note for the next version.
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, too late...

But a good suggestion for a future Mantis 3, thanks.
Better late than never, thanks.

TBH, as much as I like the MB version in Mantis 2, I find myself reaching for the single band version more, simply because of the HPF.

cheers
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Better late than never, thanks.

TBH, as much as I like the MB version in Mantis 2, I find myself reaching for the single band version more, simply because of the HPF.

cheers

I don't understand this. A program material compressor with HPF is very different than a multi (two) band compressor IMHO.

Being able to compress below e.g. 250Hz seperately from the rest above would give me a totally different effect than a typical compressor.

Anyway...heading to the studio in a bit. Can't wait to download Mantis 2 and give it some time on actual projects.
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unfortunately you've stumbled into the bug that affects latest versions of N4 when 3rd-party libraries are loaded in certain systems.
Acustica is aware of the problem and is working for a solution.

In the meantime, your best bet is to temporarily downgrade N4 to a previous version, namely version N000 (Feb 4th, 2019) for PC and the contemporary one for Mac.
Sorry, but ATM I don't have a MacOSX-based computer at hand, so I can't give you the exact version number, but I guess other Apple users might chime in and fill the blanks...

Anyway, both those N4 versions dating back to last February don't suffer at all from this bug.

EDIT: the last working version as far as this bug for MacOSX is the L000, Feb2019.
FYI
I just updated from N4 Player to N4.
I've installed the R010 - 03 Sep 2019 version of N4.
All third party libraries are recalling just fine in saved projects.

Logic 10.4.7
macOS 10.14.6

cheers
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I do this all the time in Reaper and do think it is "dead easy" but perhaps slightly annoying. I simply run it in stereo first, set the controls where I want and then copy the compressor instance and make them independent via the Reaper routing.

If I then want to make only slight changes I use the mouse wheel as it snaps to accurate values (usually in combination with SHIFT for fine control) thus eliminating the need to re-do the stereo-first-then-copy procedure.

So yeah, quite easy but annoying. I agree that variable linking would be a very nice feature to have or even a single button to link/unlink the channels.
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
FYI
I just updated from N4 Player to N4.
I've installed the R010 - 03 Sep 2019 version of N4.
All third party libraries are recalling just fine in saved projects.

Logic 10.4.7
macOS 10.14.6

cheers
If this is the same bug that other users are experiencing, it is related to sample rate changes. I have no problem recalling in N4 (not player) either, as long as my project sample rate matches what the default sample rate of my interface was before the project is loaded. I have a project in 48 that I can't work with using N4 plugins because of this problem.
Old 4th November 2019
Gear Addict

The same procedure of bmanic on Reaper goes with S1 and the splitter (option: channel split).

I like Mantis 2 so far (just concentrated on ST model),
still a riddle to me what it does at he sum (see former question)
and because it is so forgiving I don`t get the signals really tamed or in control.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Seems like Mantis is better mixed into on the master bus rather than adding it at the end??
I would say so. Mantis is part of my mixing template, i mix into it all the time.
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy McGroarty View Post
I would say so. Mantis is part of my mixing template, i mix into it all the time.
Do you work with a 2nd comp or just Mantis?
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar View Post
Do you work with a 2nd comp or just Mantis?
Mantis first for a little evening out and often L-Bus afterwards
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Mantis first for a little evening out...
So you and Mantis are still seeing each other..?

Deeply sorry, but I just couldn't resist...
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Mantis first for a little evening out and often L-Bus afterwards
Makes sense, I`m on trial and came to the same result
(whatever the prefered 2nd comp on master bus is),
Mantis alone gives me more question marks than I`d like to see.
Thanks.
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar View Post
Makes sense, I`m on trial and came to the same result
(whatever the prefered 2nd comp on master bus is),
Mantis alone gives me more question marks than I`d like to see.
Thanks.
Well i think that it can be done the opposite way too as usual.
Bus compressor then mantis as a mastering compressor.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search