The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Harrison launches MPC Channel for film/post - $1500
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Uh I just had a problem w/Mixbus on a Sat night. Ben was back to me in an hour with an answer. Wow....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I would be interested in hearing some before and afters of the noise reduction portion. I have RX advanced and ERA-D - usually run in that order, but I could use a a better way to kill noise for dialogue tracks. I love the Harrison mastering EQ so I am hopeful that the noise reduction is great as well. I would consider this if the Black Friday price was at a significant discount.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowend Bump View Post
??
It’s intellectual property and someone’s time and work.
I can carve a pumpkin and sell it for as much as I like and if someone out there paid me a million dollars for then it was worth that much.
Exactly my point. It's all subjective as I said. I only gave my personal opinion and everybody's else's opinion is just as valid as mine. Im not knocking this at all because they sound good. Price point not worth it to me
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

The real question , is : is it the sound of hits ?

By the way Ben absolutly rocks !! we had a talk about a dedicated controller also for Mixbuss and it was a real pleasure !! Trying to lobby on a 32 c here and there ...but ...lol
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
How do you guys think this compares to the Neve DFC on UAD? I don’t do any post, but I find the DFC extremely useful for music. It has all the qualities I like about analog Neve with digital precision. You could buy a UAD satellite and the DFC plugin for less than $1500.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by viciousbliss View Post
How do you guys think this compares to the Neve DFC on UAD? I don’t do any post, but I find the DFC extremely useful for music. It has all the qualities I like about analog Neve with digital precision. You could buy a UAD satellite and the DFC plugin for less than $1500.

The DFC plugin by UAD is good too, but different. There's only 4 bands of EQ, no de-esser, and no noise reduction. The DFC's GUI also uses pages for the different sections so the workflow isn't as fast.

One thing I've done is put the Harrison MPC across all my dialogue and ADR tracks. And then use the DFC on my dialogue bus. They work really well together

Additionally, as someone who has mixed on the film consoles (Euphonix System 5, Harrison MPC, and AMS Neve DFC), we are very lucky today to have decades of the three companies' combined experience in making outstanding audio gear, in plugins that we can put across hundreds of tracks in Pro Tools.

Best,
Tom
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
I'm gonna jump in and defend Harrison's pricing on this one.
It seems they are offering their high end R&D digital algorithms from their flagship digital consoles for film.
This eats right through their console business.
The film niche is pretty small, so they have to recoup costs somehow.

Since the same company offers great price points for the music mixing/making market, I don't think they are oblivious to the pricing of today's plugins.
They recently gifted their mastering EQ, AVA which is rather amazing.

I wish them good luck with this move!
at first I thought this was a hardware controller, and reading/researching more
this product is not for me, and many others due to the working nature of our workflows.

absolutely agree with this comment when seeing the negative reaction of the algos being 'over priced'.

you basically get the uber expensive sounding harrison sound for pennies on the dollar.

I personally enjoyed using mixbus and the sound quality for several commercial projects back in the day, but have not used mixbus since (I think 3 or 4) and moved on.

regardless I hope this does well and want to see more things from the company in the future.

we are so spoiled for sound quality these days in the digital realm, let's not forget that.

pm
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
The real question , is : is it the sound of hits ?

By the way Ben absolutly rocks !! we had a talk about a dedicated controller also for Mixbuss and it was a real pleasure !! Trying to lobby on a 32 c here and there ...but ...lol
I was a very early adopter at v1, but have now after several upgrades moved on from their technology to other things for future releases and projects I'm involved in.

Regardless, Ben and the people at Harrison have always been personable, very appreciative and professional (even though I'd go on a tangent of frustration with looming deadlines and from seemingly innocent upgrade on their part) on all fronts of any/all feedback when working on the stability of mixbus in the past.

I know it doesn't mean much but I still have a ton of respect for the company and its legacy in the music/film world.

to each their own, carry on.
pm
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
Hey also a long suffering adoptor of Mixbus BUT with V4 it turned a huge corner and is really smooth sailing. Ben and his crew give great service. It really is important to realize this is a very specific tool for a specific need. Hey if you want a great Harrison product they were selling a very cool channel strip for around $2K. I do like their other plug ins and they are as good (or better), than anything out there.....
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

I just got some really nice comments from Ian McLoughlin, a long-time Harrison console user and accomplished film mixer:

"MPC is much more than a Channel Strip.
As a Re-Recording Mixer MPC is my ideal Dialogue Chain - six elements - everything I need in one re-sizeable plugin.

MPC has replaced: XXXX and XXX XXXXXX: XX, XX & XX. All of which are really good products that are feature filled but somewhat complex.

I am really enjoying the more streamlined and elegant approach that you guys are taking… if I need a microscope and scalpel I will use XXXXXXX XX.

In a way MPC is giving me that console experience, very like using the Series 12 with it’s dedicated touch screen… I really know what’s happening at a glance.

Being able to dynamically change the signal flow of 6 different elements has streamlined my workflow immensely.

Most of the time I’m using it in Default or FTS size, but during a playback or mastering I will lineup 3 or 6 instances in the smallest size.
Even at that size the resolution and detail of the UI is amazing.
"

(some names changed to protect the innocent)

-Ben at Harrison
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search