The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HoRNet Plugins introduces VU Meter MK4 digital VU Meter with automatic gain
Old 4 weeks ago
I would pay good money for a mixing prep tool that would:
  • analyze and gain stage every single audio file (track) in a folder to -18 dBFS (or user adjustable)
  • detect stereo files in that folder that are in fact mono, and split them and remove redundant files
It shouldn't even be a plug-in. It should be a utility run from the OS.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
  • analyze and gain stage every single audio file (track) in a folder to -18 dBFS (or user adjustable)
  • detect stereo files in that folder that are in fact mono, and split them and remove redundant files
I would pay good money for these options as well!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As for the second half, I know there's a program out there that already does it called "Stereo Monoizer". That might help you currently.

https://www.soundizers.com/
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
As for the second half, I know there's a program out there that already does it called "Stereo Monoizer". That might help you currently.
Thanks man. I forgot about that one and thought it was Mac OS only (I'm on Windows).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks man. I forgot about that one and thought it was Mac OS only (I'm on Windows).
I hear you. I'm on Windows here as well and it works fine but there is something strangely apple looking about both the software and their website so I don't blame you for thinking it was mac only!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fair enough, thanks. I thought there was more convenience hidden somewhere in the plug-in (offline analyzing, lookahead). Playing all the way through a song is the kicker for me. I can usually gainstage my sessions quicker by just manually adjusting clip gain on each track by eye, watching the Pro Tools meter. Oh, and I can't copy the plug-in from a stereo track to a mono track in Pro Tools, which adds to the hassle.
In a +20 track session that has tracks that are all over the place it is worth every penny.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Fair enough, thanks. I thought there was more convenience hidden somewhere in the plug-in (offline analyzing, lookahead). Playing all the way through a song is the kicker for me. I can usually gainstage my sessions quicker by just manually adjusting clip gain on each track by eye, watching the Pro Tools meter. Oh, and I can't copy the plug-in from a stereo track to a mono track in Pro Tools, which adds to the hassle.
Of course, if it doesn´t fit your workflow then its ok.

My mix prep involves AA and N4 preamps, console emulation, tape emulation, sometimes guitar and keybs sound design, etc. so after being done fidling with all these, just put on an instance of vumk3 (now mk4) and do a final listen while getting tracks gainstaged. Then do a general freeze, save as next iteration, copy tracks and delete frozen ones, and voila, a new file with all sounds worked and gainstaged. And ready to go out to hardware if need be too.

Also, I use it like I mention on this post: Nebula must have

Also, bear in mind you can complement it with functionality from your daw: In ptools (I think) you can disable rows of plugins across all your tracks, so that would save some steps in what I described in that post above. Also, you may be able to set a default setting for your plugins, so you could select all mono tracks, instantiate the plugin in all at once, do that again for stereo tracks, press "auto" button in one of them and then play... go get a cup of coffee and upon getting back do a save as next iteration and commit all tracks... and done! hehe

Anyway, just giving you a couple of ideas about how it can be used. Hope it helps.

Quote:
It's doing LUFS, not dB as far as I can tell.
Ooops, didn´t remember that! Maybe still helpful if going with around -23? Hornet has another plugin just like VUMeter but in lufs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
In a +20 track session that has tracks that are all over the place it is worth every penny.
Indeed!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gee
Lives for gear

I use it on my main busses to keep things in check(got them grouped) and I usually have it in the first insert of vocals (which I do a pass if auto on it) most vocals I receive are usually pretty wild gain wise so this helps getting it in the pocket a bit.

Plus it looks good!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
I use it on my main busses to keep things in check(got them grouped) and I usually have it in the first insert of vocals (which I do a pass if auto on it) most vocals I receive are usually pretty wild gain wise so this helps getting it in the pocket a bit.

Plus it looks good!
Oh man, stupido mio,
now I have the answer for the Mantis comp on master bus.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I was thinking about a normalizing utility that can work on a bunch of tracks offline, probably a normalizer V2 though as VU Meter has always been a "meter with auto gain" but I haven't thought about a function that made tracks mono if the content on the right and left channel were the same.

That's a nice idea.

Saverio
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Hi Saverio,

Maybe you can add a MeterBridge option in the Display pull down menu? This way we can view it as MeterBridge. This could save some time toggling the display menu. It would be great. Just a suggestion though. :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For those worried about VU Meter's gain quality not being as good as other gain plugins...worry no longer:

Plus, an official overview video:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those worried about VU Meter's gain quality not being as good as other gain plugins...worry no longer:

Plus, an official overview video:

Thank you for the test, actually bitshifting if done with integers is less precise than a MUL done on two doubles.

This all boils down to how the CPU treats those values, if you use SSE math or integer you are working with 64bit registers (plenty of data for audio applications, 64bit are equal to 385dB of headroom) but if you use double precision floats (like I do in every plugin) the compiler uses the FPU giving you 80bit of resolution for mul and div operations (in exchange of a slower execution time).

Saverio
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ HoRNet
I had saved VU Meter MK4 in a REAPER template (64-bit VST3). The audio is now panned more on one side with the update. Was that something that changed during the bug fix?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ HoRNet
I had saved VU Meter MK4 in a REAPER template (64-bit VST3). The audio is now panned more on one side with the update. Was that something that changed during the bug fix?
Absolutely not, the only difference is that now VST3 sees correctly two audio channels instead of just one.

Does this happens in a new session too? My tests with Reaper did not show any of this issues.

Saverio
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoRNet View Post
Absolutely not, the only difference is that now VST3 sees correctly two audio channels instead of just one.

Does this happens in a new session too? My tests with Reaper did not show any of this issues.

Saverio
In new sessions VST3 works fine. I'll just change my template, not a big problem! To clarify, I had saved the previous template with version 1.0 . Then I updated the plugin to the new version and that's where I ran into panning issues. But, once I added a new instance of the VU Meter it was OK.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
In new sessions VST3 works fine. I'll just change my template, not a big problem! To clarify, I had saved the previous template with version 1.0 . Then I updated the plugin to the new version and that's where I ran into panning issues. But, once I added a new instance of the VU Meter it was OK.
Oh that's weird probably something saved with the template conflicted with the new two channel configuration, but honestly it should not have happened...

Saverio
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search