The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases New Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface
Old 22nd October 2019
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Releases New Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface-apollo-x4-hero.jpg

Apollo x4 delivers award-winning Apollo X conversion with four Unison 
mic preamps and Realtime UAD Processing to your desktop

SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • October, 22nd 2019 — Universal Audio, a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is proud to release Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface. With elite-class A/D and D/A conversion inherited directly from the award-winning Apollo X rackmount interfaces, four Unison-enabled mic preamps, and Thunderbolt 3 connectivity for Mac and Windows, Apollo x4 is the world’s most advanced desktop audio interface.

Apollo x4 allows musicians and producers to easily track, overdub, and mix larger projects with award-winning Apollo X conversion. Built for musical collaboration, this 12 x 18 Thunderbolt 3 desktop interface features dual front-panel Hi-Z inputs and four mic preamps with 127 dB dynamic range, plus the Realtime UAD Processing via built-in UAD-2 QUAD Core DSP — letting users track and mix with the full library of UAD Powered Plug-Ins with near-zero latency. 

A powerful feature exclusive to UA audio interfaces, Unison technology gives Apollo x4 mic preamps the exact impedance characteristics, gain stage “sweet spots”, and unique circuit behaviors of the world’s most sought-after tube and solid state preamps, guitar amps, and stompboxes — including genuine emulations from API, Neve, Manley, SSL, UA and more.

With its unrivaled dynamic range, Realtime UAD Processing, and a host of included UAD plug-in titles via the Analog Classics Plus Bundle, Apollo x4 confidently outperforms everything in its class, giving users a fully-stocked analog studio right on their desktop, and made to collaborate.

Apollo x4 — Key Features
  • Flagship 12 x 18 Thunderbolt 3 desktop audio interface for Mac and Windows
  • Elite-class A/D and D/A conversion inherited directly from acclaimed Apollo X rackmount interfaces
  • 4 Unison mic/line preamps offering stunning models of classic tube and transformer-based mic preamps and guitar amps
  • UAD-2 QUAD Core Processing for tracking through vintage compressors, EQs, tape machines, mic preamps, and guitar amp plug-ins with near-zero latency
  • 2 front-panel Hi-Z instrument inputs and 2 independent headphone outputs
  • Built-in talkback mic for communication with studio talent and recording slate cues
  • Includes monitor remote functions and Mono, Mute, DIM, and ALT monitor controls
  • Up to 8 channels of additional digital I/O via Optical ADAT/SPDIF input and output
  • Includes the Realtime Analog Classics Plus UAD plug-in bundle featuring the Teletronix LA-2A, 1176, and Fairchild 670 compressors, plus Pultec EQs, UA 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, and more
Learn more about Apollo x4:
www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-x4.html

Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases New Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface-apollo-x4-back.jpg   Universal Audio Releases New Apollo x4 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface-apollo-x4-hero.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Finally the Apollo I've been waiting for. Just wish it had a bit more DSP juice. Still prefer it over the rack unit though.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Not surpriced
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Just waiting on new chips and you can have my money, UA.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

An FYI to everyone considering these. I was just watching the UA Live video on these and they mentioned they are using a different clock in the desktop units than the rack units. It simply came down to heat and space and they couldn't fit the dual crystal clock into the smaller units. I'm sure they're still great, but that was a major bummer for me as I was seriously about the pull the trigger on one to incorporate the new clock into my Apollo system.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Bummer on the clock.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
An FYI to everyone considering these. I was just watching the UA Live video on these and they mentioned they are using a different clock in the desktop units than the rack units. It simply came down to heat and space and they couldn't fit the dual crystal clock into the smaller units. I'm sure they're still great, but that was a major bummer for me as I was seriously about the pull the trigger on one to incorporate the new clock into my Apollo system.
Invest in a new MH ULN8 3D, then add one satellite for some of the UA plugs..
Best of both worlds.. (Although you'll always be at the UA leash with the dsp power carrot-donkey spiel).

I have to say that the X4 looks like a nice piece covering a lot of ground for a tabletop unit. I'm sure it sounds pretty good considering the price (even with the clock difference).

Cheu
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Invest in a new MH ULN8 3D, then add one satellite for some of the UA plugs..
Best of both worlds.. (Although you'll always be at the UA leash with the dsp power carrot-donkey spiel).

I have to say that the X4 looks like a nice piece covering a lot of ground for a tabletop unit. I'm sure it sounds pretty good considering the price (even with the clock difference).

Cheu
I like the Apollo units and tracking destructively with the plugins, I just don't see myself ever jumping ship. If I wanted to spend ULN8 kind of money right now, I would just grab an Apollo X rack. I'm still running sliverfaces, I get made fun of a lot by the other engineers.....

Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get made fun of a lot by the other engineers.....
You silverface freak!
Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear

SPDIF out... does that mean I can use the Unison preamps but keep my RME as the main interface in my studio?
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Addict

I was expecting it to happen that's why I did not upgrade from Apollo 8 to X immediately. Now that I am reading it does not have the same clock as the X series I wonder how much better it sounds compared to the older Apollo 8 and how big difference is the quality of converters compared to the X rack series. I'd prefer the non rack version for mobility but but I'd like to have the best possible converters of all the Apollos. If someone from UAD would care to comment?
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

do the line inputs finally bypass the pres like on the rack?
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear
I think the people at UAD are high.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
I think the people at UAD are high.
What makes you think that?
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolP View Post
What makes you think that?
Same song that's been sung for years now. DSP chips are outdated and their interfaces cost too much. There's plenty of cheaper door stops out there from companies like Antelope, have at it!
Old 23rd October 2019
$$$$????
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
$$$$????
$1799... out of the gate, anyway.
Old 23rd October 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
$$$$????
Twin X is $899 DUO, $1399 QUAD, and x4 is $1799.

Also, we're keeping the TB2 MKII Twin DUO in the line up, reduced to $799.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Twin X is $899 DUO, $1399 QUAD, and x4 is $1799.
And the Audient iD44, which directly compares with your X4, is $699
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
And the Audient iD44, which directly compares with your X4, is $699
Does the ID44 handle zero latency DSP processing as well? I’m sick of the outdated chipsets that keep getting pedaled from UAD, I would’ve jumped on this if it had the overhaul everyone has been asking for, but I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to the ID44
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Does the ID44 handle zero latency DSP processing as well? I’m sick of the outdated chipsets that keep getting pedaled from UAD, I would’ve jumped on this if it had the overhaul everyone has been asking for, but I don’t think it’s fair to compare it to the ID44
If it's not fair to compare the two, it's because the Audient is better. It has more IO.

As for the near zero latency processing, I call it having a capable PC or Mac and setting the sample rate to 64 or 128.

Last edited by Amroth; 23rd October 2019 at 09:49 AM..
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Why is a simple 5$ MIDI connection too much for the ELITE in 2019??? My 2005 E-MU 1820M has a lot more connections and was 500€ new! It still runs fine on Windows 10 with a latency under 5ms running 20 instances of NI-Massive set to ultra! And why does UA need 2-3 converter revisions when my 1995 Sony DAT recorder sounded absolutely fantastic???
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like the Apollo units and tracking destructively with the plugins, I just don't see myself ever jumping ship. If I wanted to spend ULN8 kind of money right now, I would just grab an Apollo X rack. I'm still running sliverfaces, I get made fun of a lot by the other engineers.....

then you shouldn't be pissed off too much by the differencies of the clock in the new X4..
If you're happy with the silverfaces, go with them..

My point was that I'm sick of this consumism, every year a new interface, trash the old interface, get the new "much" better one.

I do like the longevity of other manufacturers much more..like the one mentioned above.

But if you could use your silverfaces I think it's a great thing..

I'm all in for quality stuff, and there are of course audible differencies between the top converters and the UA, but they're pretty good and won't stop you of recording great sounding music through them..
I honestly like the workflow and the physical buttons a lot.. so much easier and faster..

Cheu
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
x4 is $1799
I'd understand that price tag if some actual plugins were included, and not the same old tired Analog Classic Plus stuff. People should be able to switch this Legacy vanilla bundle for stuff they'd actually prefer and use, even if it was just 2 or 3 mk2 plugins. As an owner of a Twin Duo mk1, the Legacy stuff is several marks below the current native offerings of small companies such as Fuse, Klanghelm, Goodhertz or even Klevgrand. It simply gets no use and it's very frustrating.

Also, the X4 really is what the Twin should've been from the start. I'm quite happy to see it becoming a reality, but this price is quite surreal considering what's offered and the feeling that UA took 3 or 4 interfaces to finally get their base offering right. The Arrow and the Twin feel like concept proofs, expensive ones at that, considering this is now a reality.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
then you shouldn't be pissed off too much by the differencies of the clock in the new X4..
If you're happy with the silverfaces, go with them..

My point was that I'm sick of this consumism, every year a new interface, trash the old interface, get the new "much" better one.

I do like the longevity of other manufacturers much more..like the one mentioned above.

But if you could use your silverfaces I think it's a great thing..

I'm all in for quality stuff, and there are of course audible differencies between the top converters and the UA, but they're pretty good and won't stop you of recording great sounding music through them..
I honestly like the workflow and the physical buttons a lot.. so much easier and faster..

Cheu
The silverface Apollos still work great, no need to trash them. And the original blackfaces still work great. It's not as if an album made with any of the three generations would differ much from each other.

I think it's too early to talk about the longevity of these products. But just because something new came out doesn't mean that the old is bad. It's just as good as when you bought it. And it's not like these are huge changes, it's minor upgrades. But if they can improve it, why not?
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
I'd understand that price tag if some actual plugins were included, and not the same old tired Analog Classic Plus stuff. People should be able to switch this Legacy vanilla bundle for stuff they'd actually prefer and use, even if it was just 2 or 3 mk2 plugins. As an owner of a Twin Duo mk1, the Legacy stuff is several marks below the current native offerings of small companies such as Fuse, Klanghelm, Goodhertz or even Klevgrand. It simply gets no use and it's very frustrating.

Also, the X4 really is what the Twin should've been from the start. I'm quite happy to see it becoming a reality, but this price is quite surreal considering what's offered and the feeling that UA took 3 or 4 interfaces to finally get their base offering right. The Arrow and the Twin feel like concept proofs, expensive ones at that, considering this is now a reality.
I disagree about the included plugins not being usable, and there are a few MkIIs in there as well.
But yes, it is quite a weak bundle given the price of the unit. Plugins like Oxide, Pure Plate and Neve Pre are plugins that I would expect to be included with the hardware.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post

I think it's too early to talk about the longevity of these products. But just because something new came out doesn't mean that the old is bad. It's just as good as when you bought it. And it's not like these are huge changes, it's minor upgrades. But if they can improve it, why not?
Some other manufacturers let you upgrade your existing interfaces that are 10 years old. Not that you have to, but you can without having to change the whole Thing.

why not? because we don't have another planet, and if we can improve things when is really needed and make them work longer instead of coming out with 4 generations interfaces in 5 years..

just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
I disagree about the included plugins not being usable
I meant the Legacy ones, mostly. And sure, they're usable, but pale in comparison with the current native alternatives. The fact that you can't do anything in the way of trading or selling them is also quite frustrating to me. Everything about it feels like a tremendous waste and sort of a prison, especially considering the price of these interfaces.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by retractablezing View Post
I meant the Legacy ones, mostly. And sure, they're usable, but pale in comparison with the current native alternatives. The fact that you can't do anything in the way of trading or selling them is also quite frustrating to me. Everything about it feels like a tremendous waste and sort of a prison, especially considering the price of these interfaces.
The legacy plugins are usable, but there are so many better options that I doubt that you don't already have one.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Some other manufacturers let you upgrade your existing interfaces that are 10 years old. Not that you have to, but you can without having to change the whole Thing.

why not? because we don't have another planet, and if we can improve things when is really needed and make them work longer instead of coming out with 4 generations interfaces in 5 years..

just my 0.02$,

Cheu
I agree that upgrade ability should be a focus. At least they made computer I/O card upgradable in the racks. I imagine that making the rest of it user upgradable would be a good deal more complicated given how integrated things are, and much more complicated with a form factor like the Twin.

But it's just as much a responsibility for us as costumers. We need to conquer that feeling of wanting the latest and greatest of everything. The original Apollos are still great. There have been a ton of amazing sounding music made on those. That doesn't change with the release of a new generation. There is no ground being broken here, just minor upgrades on the whole. The workflow and plugins are still the same.
But people are still going to need/want to buy new at some point because things break beyond sensible repair or they need to expand and why would UA not upgrade their products?
You can still connect the old and new ones to each other.

Some people think I'm funny for using an iPhone 5 that I've put together from three broken ones. But it still does what I need it to do and it feels good to make use of things that other consider useless trash.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search