The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases New Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface
Old 22nd October 2019
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Releases New Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface-apollo-twin-x-hero.jpg

Track and mix with elite-class Apollo X conversion and Realtime UAD Processing over Thunderbolt 3 on your desktop

SCOTTS VALLEY, CA • October 22nd, 2019 — Universal Audio, a leading manufacturer of professional audio recording hardware and software, is proud to release Apollo Twin X, now shipping and available in stores worldwide. Featuring elite-class A/D and D/A conversion inherited directly from the award-winning Apollo X rackmount interfaces, and Thunderbolt 3 connectivity for Mac or Windows, Apollo Twin X is a potent sonic update to the world's most popular professional desktop audio interface.

Available in UAD-2 DUO or QUAD Core formats for running acclaimed UAD plug-ins in real time, this 10 x 6 Thunderbolt 3 audio interface provides unrivaled sonic detail with 127 dB dynamic range. This elite-class conversion represents a new gold standard in desktop audio quality, ensuring that Apollo Twin will be used to capture a new generation of hits.

Apollo Twin X also features dual Unison-enabled mic preamps and a front-panel Hi-Z instrument input. Unison technology gives Apollo Twin X users the impedance characteristics, gain stage “sweet spots”, and unique circuit behaviors of the world’s most sought-after tube and solid state preamps, guitar amps, and stompboxes — including authentic emulations from API, Neve, Fender, Manley, SSL, Helios, UA and more.

Built upon UA’s 60-year heritage of audio craftsmanship, Apollo Twin X confidently outperforms everything in its class. With its unrivaled dynamic range, Realtime UAD Processing, and an included bundle of popular UAD plug-ins, Apollo Twin X presents a fully-stocked analog studio, right on the desktop.

Apollo Twin X — Key Features
  • 10 x 6 Thunderbolt 3 desktop audio interface for Mac and Windows
  • Elite-class A/D and D/A conversion inherited directly from acclaimed Apollo X rackmount interfaces
  • 2 Unison mic preamps offer stunning models of classic tube and transformer-based mic preamps and guitar amps
  • UAD-2 DUO or QUAD Core Processing for tracking through vintage compressors, EQs, tape machines, mic preamps, and guitar amp plug-ins with near-zero latency
  • Front-panel Unison-enabled Hi-Z instrument input and headphone output
  • Built-in talkback mic for communication with studio talent and recording slate cues
  • Improved monitor functionality including monitor remote functions and Mono, Mute, DIM, and ALT monitor controls
  • Up to 8 channels of additional digital input via Optical ADAT or S/PDIF
  • Includes the Realtime Analog Classics UAD plug-in bundle featuring the Teletronix LA-2A and 1176 compressors, Pultec EQs, UA 610-B Tube Preamp & EQ, and more
  • Runs UAD Powered Plug-Ins via VST, RTAS, and AAX 64 in all major DAWs
Learn more about Apollo Twin X:
http://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfac...lo-twin-x.html
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases New Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface-apollo-twin-x-back.jpg   Universal Audio Releases New Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface-apollo-twin-x-hero.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Anyone know what's 'new' about this??
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB View Post
Digital conversion and TB3.

I was hoping for 2 headphone outs and ADAT out to be a killer interface. But they saved that for the bigger X4.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

The pictures with the synths hint to line ins which bypass the preamps I hope.
Old 22nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlavB View Post
A conversion upgrade and an TB3 port. All of that excitement, and ......

I guess after Apple holds events to show us new Emojis, we're all numb to this hype by now. Or are we, really? Don't we still line up like Pavlov's dogs, when we see these "teasers" .

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for something really game changing. That will have to wait, I guess..

Cdlt
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
The pictures with the synths hint to line ins which bypass the preamps I hope.
that's all I want to know and I can't find it. Something tells me still no, which is ridiculous - on this and the X4.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

*insert snoring sound effect*

C'mon Universal Audio...you gotta do better than this. Stop milking those old chips. Release something newer than 10 years otherwise your interfaces are just an overpriced JOKE.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
that's all I want to know and I can't find it. Something tells me still no, which is ridiculous - on this and the X4.
I saw a signal path schematic for the X4 that showed that it does not bypass the pres. Will try to find it
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
*insert snoring sound effect*

C'mon Universal Audio...you gotta do better than this. Stop milking those old chips. Release something newer than 10 years otherwise your interfaces are just an overpriced JOKE.
They won't stop until their mountain of NOS Sharc chips are finally depleted. Probably 2027.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Thunderbolt is the equivalent of external PCIe

USB4 (2020 release) is the royalty free equivalent of Thunderbolt3
Old 23rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Not a UA owner, I use RME, but the people behind UA are clearly doing something right regardless of what you might say about their SHARC chips and what not. UA is the only company I know of that looks to be successfully applying the “Apple” marketing and management philosophy to audio interfaces and the recording market. I’m betting there’s a pretty good team behind both their hardware and software. RME is great too, but there devices are a lot like their website - utilitarian, practical.

I’m definitely intrigued enough to want to try out their stuff. As a software dev I’d love to read a bit more about the differences programming for DSP vs programming for native - it may be as straightforward as the code is not different, DSP is just the only reliable solution to running plugins low-latency outside the DAW that they can actually package up and sell to people on Macs, Windows, etc... I.e. they are basically running a separate DAW that only acts as a mixer/plugin host in front of your DAW, SHARC chips act like a mini-computer in front of your own computer - you could do the same with a little Intel mini-ITX build but that wouldn’t fit in an Apollo Twin or 1u rack mount interface.
Old 23rd October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Thunderbolt is the equivalent of external PCIe

USB4 (2020 release) is the royalty free equivalent of Thunderbolt3
Another USB version so soon? Jesus, hopefully it doesn’t involve another new dongle
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Surely this has to be the last batch of units with these SHARCs. To do anything more than their "octo-core" in the rack units, they would have to make them 2U boxes... ain't happening. Maybe they try a full double-wide x8 desktop unit... can't see that, either.

Reaction seems muted to these releases. Buck up UA... let's see some true progress. 10 years of phenomenal (high) pricing is a hell of a return on your R & D. Time for physically smaller amd more powerful chips. Use the extra space for higher chip counts... improved clocks, etc...

This round of chips have run a hell of a marathon. Keep prices the same on new units for the next marathon... don't price (gouge) for a sprint.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Addict

Yeah....nah
Old 23rd October 2019
Here for the gear

bus-powered? It‘s not mentioned on their website
Old 23rd October 2019
gti
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucmusic View Post
bus-powered? It‘s not mentioned on their website
No.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Surely this has to be the last batch of units with these SHARCs. To do anything more than their "octo-core" in the rack units, they would have to make them 2U boxes... ain't happening. Maybe they try a full double-wide x8 desktop unit... can't see that, either.

Reaction seems muted to these releases. Buck up UA... let's see some true progress. 10 years of phenomenal (high) pricing is a hell of a return on your R & D. Time for physically smaller amd more powerful chips. Use the extra space for higher chip counts... improved clocks, etc...

This round of chips have run a hell of a marathon. Keep prices the same on new units for the next marathon... don't price (gouge) for a sprint.
Apparently they have tried to incorperate the new dual core sharcs but has not been successful doing so yet.
I don't have much of a problem with them using the old chips (apart from the single core limits), because they are scalable. I do have a problem with the money they are charging for them however. The price difference between a Duo and a Quad Twin is completely out of proportion.
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx89 View Post
Not a UA owner, I use RME, but the people behind UA are clearly doing something right regardless of what you might say about their SHARC chips and what not. UA is the only company I know of that looks to be successfully applying the “Apple” marketing and management philosophy to audio interfaces and the recording market. I’m betting there’s a pretty good team behind both their hardware and software. RME is great too, but there devices are a lot like their website - utilitarian, practical.

I’m definitely intrigued enough to want to try out their stuff. As a software dev I’d love to read a bit more about the differences programming for DSP vs programming for native - it may be as straightforward as the code is not different, DSP is just the only reliable solution to running plugins low-latency outside the DAW that they can actually package up and sell to people on Macs, Windows, etc... I.e. they are basically running a separate DAW that only acts as a mixer/plugin host in front of your DAW, SHARC chips act like a mini-computer in front of your own computer - you could do the same with a little Intel mini-ITX build but that wouldn’t fit in an Apollo Twin or 1u rack mount interface.
You get it! That's why Apollos are so popular amongst musicians and producers. It's not all a matter of specs but about the user experience as a whole that gels well with the creative crowd. Very similar to Macs.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

I came from an Apogee Symphony. As a single writer the workflow for me with the MKII is pretty stellar, fast and stable.

I love the console, the plugs I have to use on the way in and for me the sound quality and end product is just as good.
Old 24th October 2019
Manufacturer

Hi all,
Please quote this post if you have any product questions I can answer.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Hi all,
Is the conversion in the X rack series superior (due to the clock or other specs)?
Old 24th October 2019
Manufacturer

Other, mostly power.
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
SHARC chips act like a mini-computer in front of your own computer - you could do the same with a little Intel mini-ITX build but that wouldn’t fit in an Apollo Twin or 1u rack mount interface.
Yes it would.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-kits/nuc.html
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi all,
Can you school us on the advantage of TB3 over TB2 ? I can't understand where is the improvement.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
Can you school us on the advantage of TB3 over TB2 ? I can't understand where is the improvement.
More of a question is does it need TB3 over TB2 i.e. is it going to utilize that extra bandwidth of 40gb/s?
Old 24th October 2019
Manufacturer

Going TB3 is mostly about keeping up with the changing standards. Although if you're using high res displays and/or high speed storage networks, it can matter.
Old 25th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Going TB3 is mostly about keeping up with the changing standards. Although if you're using high res displays and/or high speed storage networks, it can matter.
So was is really useful ? I mean, it’s probably increasing the price without adding anything visible for the basic user. An Ethernet protocol would have been way more interesting for many users.
Old 25th October 2019
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininoyz View Post
So was is really useful ? I mean, it’s probably increasing the price without adding anything visible for the basic user. An Ethernet protocol would have been way more interesting for many users.
Our entire Apollo Expanded ecosystem relies on and leverages the Thunderbolt Protocol. It's not adding cost, it's just swapping things out to keep up with the computer industry.

Thanks for the question.
Old 25th October 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Since UA is participating in this thread...

I must say I am mystified as to why UA still holds on to those SHARC chips, which, by modern standards, are almost laughably underpowered.

I would have considered buying a UA breakout box years ago if it would have had enough processing power to handle all plugins I could possibly need for one mix.

I do understand and fully support the need to protect intellectual property, so in principle I have no problem with a breakout box. However, the price has to be right...
Old 25th October 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:

That's okay for the consumer market because consumer tastes change with the winds.

RME is a German company run by engineers, they make tools for the professional market, professionals want tools that are very reliable and will work everyday for 10 years.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search