The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal Audio Releases New Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
I hope not, that would mean pretty crappy converters.

Not necessarily so, see Apogee Duet IOS or RME Babyface Pro, which both run on USB power and have converters that are already quite good. But sufficient power supply is for sure important, so I'm with you with some restrictions.

Last edited by andyfromHH; 4 weeks ago at 08:05 PM.. Reason: some kind of typo :o)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

@ Ryan : I’m not sure if you really meant the conversion and not bus powered preamps. anyway the babyface pro is a tremendous interface regarding that it is running on usb 2.0 power supply.

USB-C cables and tb3 interfaces are capable of supplying all our (professional) power needs and I wonder if manufacturers dare to use it in the near future. I‘m no expert here but shouldn’t this be a great improvement even though compromising battery time?

I‘m curious of the next gen of interfaces
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
And UA don't?
UAD certainly aren't German. They're completely different companies with different cultures. UAD are very marketing driven, more social media savvy, much more akin to Antelope Audio. RME is a company run by engineers and it shows in their products; which are utilitarian and have steep learning curves, but tend to stay on the market for much longer than the competition and receive several years of support. In fact when you contact RME for support you tend to speak to the engineer that designed the product rather than some generic customer service dept. It's a small company.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
UAD certainly aren't German. They're completely different companies with different cultures. UAD are very marketing driven, more social media savvy, much more akin to Antelope Audio. RME is a company run by engineers and it shows in their products; which are utilitarian and have steep learning curves, but tend to stay on the market for much longer than the competition and receive several years of support. In fact when you contact RME for support you tend to speak to the engineer that designed the product rather than some generic customer service dept. It's a small company.
Yes, they have different approaches and they both excel at that. They both have high standards and it shows.
It just seemed to me that you implied that UA weren't making products for professionals (whatever that means), which I thought was strange.
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
UAD certainly aren't German.
We're sorry for not being German.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ridiculous
Old 3 weeks ago
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Old 3 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Finally, someone with a sense of humor!
Old 3 weeks ago
adl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally, someone with a sense of humor!
I am sorry. I AM from germany. You know about our sense of humor, right?
ITS. NOT. EXISTENT.
Old 3 weeks ago
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
I AM from germany.
So am I but, obviously, I had to leave.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a few questions :

Has the power supply been changed or upgraded ?

Has the headphone amp been changed or upgraded ?

By not having the rackmount clocks but the older MK2 clock, how
much will this differ in it's audio performance to the newer rackmount units ?

Thanks !
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
I have a few questions :
Has the power supply been changed or upgraded ?
Yes, different and juicier than the older Twin. This will improve I sound, IMO.

Has the headphone amp been changed or upgraded ?
Yes, but I wonder how much difference would be heard.

By not having the rackmount clocks but the older MK2 clock, how
much will this differ in it's audio performance to the newer rackmount units ?
I doubt you will notice a difference. The clocking was already really good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

What he said....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank you, much appreciated sir thought and UA !
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Hi all,
Please quote this post if you have any product questions I can answer.
Thanks for great products!
Am I right that the desktop X4 and Twin X versions doesn’t have the capacity of +24dBu line input/output ? (as the X rack versions has)

(I’m mixing hybrid and would love a 2channel version in the future with that specification on the voltage handling and ADAT or AES out - if I could wish.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwell View Post
Thanks for great products!
Am I right that the desktop X4 and Twin X versions doesn’t have the capacity of +24dBu line input/output ? (as the X rack versions has)

(I’m mixing hybrid and would love a 2channel version in the future with that specification on the voltage handling and ADAT or AES out - if I could wish.)
Thanks!!

You are correct. There's not enough power in there to do +24, sorry.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks!!

You are correct. There's not enough power in there to do +24, sorry.
Thanks for fast response, the X6 seems like a perfect fit for me then!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,
Why is this not bus-powered? The thunderbolt spec provides for up to 100 watts of ac power at a tb port. My laptop provides full tb ac power at the port.

A small box....illusion of portable....but requires an ac adaptor.

Also, with ac power or 100 watts available at a tb port, a circa 2020 box should be able to generate at least 1 watt of power to phones. I hope its not stuck at something like 18mw as many older intefaces were.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
I hope not, that would mean pretty crappy converters.

You're thinking of power available to usb. Tb provides enough ac to power superb chips, lighting, motorized faders, and just about any other bell/whistle.

Tb....powerwise....is not your grandfather's usb 1.0
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwell View Post
Thanks for fast response, the X6 seems like a perfect fit for me then!
And you'll get a free Satellite if you buy and register by Dec 31st!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

Why is this not bus-powered? The thunderbolt spec provides for up to 100 watts of ac power at a tb port. My laptop provides full tb ac power at the port.

A small box....illusion of portable....but requires an ac adaptor.

Also, with ac power or 100 watts available at a tb port, a circa 2020 box should be able to generate at least 1 watt of power to phones. I hope its not stuck at something like 18mw as many older intefaces were.
That's because UAD build nicely built products on the outside but cost-cut on the most fundamental parts of the unit. Like Apple does with putting awful graphics cards in every macbook pro in the last decade. Same strategy, because people are gonna buy them anyway
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
That's because UAD build nicely built products on the outside but cost-cut on the most fundamental parts of the unit. Like Apple does with putting awful graphics cards in every macbook pro in the last decade. Same strategy, because people are gonna buy them anyway
Ya, God forbid they make an actual power supply for it so stuff like noise specs are lower. There’s no way that making this thing buss powered would have been an improvement. They made the Arrow for everyone that needs that, I’m glad they aren’t buss powered.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ Universal Audio , this is probably a more general Apollo question. I've got my x8p and x4 up and running and have a Presonus DP88 hooked up via ADAT to the x8p and slaving to it via BNC. I've only got one external preamp going into the DP88, so decided to try and run a quick recording at 96k yesterday since I don't need all the ADAT channels. Everything is running fine at 48k, but as soon as I switch to 96k I'm not getting any signal via ADAT. The meters on the DP88 are showing signal, so the problem is between the DP88 and Apollo. Is there something I'm missing in the Apollo settings or I/O that I need to check when running the ADAT channels at higher than 48k?
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Have you seen this doc?

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...UX-96kHz-mode-

Apollos use S/MUX so you need dual ADAT cabling, do you have that set up?

Also, see the x8P manual starting with page 25 for more details.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ok, I guess I would have to slave the Apollo to the DP88. Don't really want to do that! No biggie, I'm going to be working at 48k most of the time anyway!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all,
Hello, I'm looking at either an Apollo x6 or the Apollo Twin X Quad for a mobile laptop setup, my question is do the line inputs on the Apollo Twin X bypass the preamp?
Old 2 weeks ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Hello, I'm looking at either an Apollo x6 or the Apollo Twin X Quad for a mobile laptop setup, my question is do the line inputs on the Apollo Twin X bypass the preamp?
They do not. Signal passes through them at Unity and they are SUPER linear.
Old 1 week ago
TB2 vs TB3

TB3 is wonderful but there are plenty of MacBooks with TB2. Upgrading to X is impossible I gather with just TB2???
Old 1 week ago
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpate View Post
TB3 is wonderful but there are plenty of MacBooks with TB2. Upgrading to X is impossible I gather with just TB2???
Hi sdpate, the Apple TB2-3 adaptor works perfectly.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search