The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: RETRO Instruments 500Pre
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hardware AES 2019: RETRO Instruments 500Pre

https://www.instagram.com/retroinstrumentsinc/?hl=en

“ We took the circuit topology of the Sta-Level and packed it into a single width 500 module. The 500PRE three tube gain stage exhibits the same detail and depth. As with all Retro products, the feeling of the musical performance is delivered with the Retro Instruments 500PRE. Distortion, Noise and Frequency Response of the 500PRE are outstanding; but overload characteristics are not generally revealed by standard measurements. The 500PRE tubes gracefully limit the signal at +18 dBu. Whether you’re just going for clean gain or pushing the 500PRE into overdrive, it won’t ever sound plastic and brittle like solid-state amplifiers can. Transient detail is unrestrained.

The Retro 500PRE doesn’t sleep when you’re done tracking. Use the 500PRE as a high-energy limiter during mix-time. The 500PRE design purposely has the limiter effect of tube amplifiers. You’ll love to use it as a limiter to fatten all kinds of tracks.
The Retro 500PRE works within API 500 rack power limitations. Each 500PRE consumes 160 ma of power, slightly above the 130 ma VPR-compliant allocation. We recommend racks with quiet linear power supplies like the API models. When power requirements are observed, the rack and 500PRE will provide years of reliable service.

The Retro 500PRE uses three 12AT7 tubes that are readily available as new production or new-old-stock. A user can select from a wide variety. Your unit uses the new production TAD 12AT7 and these tubes are expected to last for a very long time under the 500PRE operating conditions. We use soft-start circuitry that minimizes stress to the tubes and power supply. The 500PRE takes less than a minute to warm up and perform.”

Link : http://retroinstruments.com/product....duct_id=500PRE
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: RETRO Instruments 500Pre-retro-500pre-angle-1-h430.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Got an email this am about this pre. Possibly the most tubes in a one space, fully enclosed 500 series module. Requires 160ma, which shouldn’t be a problem for most racks these days
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 4 weeks ago
Awesome -- although I so wish that it had a DI in the front. Oh well, I'll probably snag one anyway

j,
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

F*cking awesome.

Time to get into 500 series again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
Awesome -- although I so wish that it had a DI in the front. Oh well, I'll probably snag one anyway

j,
Snag one and Sonic Farm 2di4 to put some more tubes in the path
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Which boxes come to mind that fullfill the power requirements? My a designs hr500 seems only to provide 140ma.

Best Michael
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

these look really great. the limiting aspect for mixing is really interesting too.

the rupert neve designs r6 has a high power rating. seems like retro also recommends the regular api lunchbox
Old 4 weeks ago
Beyond excited to hear these
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Heritage OST line of racks are one of the most overpowered and affordable. I’ve never used API racks, but everyone loves them and they seem to work with just about everything. The Rupert Neve design racks are also overpowered. A lot of good options
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

would love to hear a whole mix ran through a pair of those
Old 4 weeks ago
Lud
Gear Addict

I would love to get one with an austrian audio OC18 but only can buy one or the other...
Old 3 weeks ago
Yeah I’m looking at the heritage OS4 because I wouldn’t mind 4 of these if they rip. Looks like 400ma per slot or 700ma across all open slots, “whichever is realized first”
I have been looking at the coil pres, the chandler REDD, and now these.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Priced at 760?!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus these arent gonna stay in stock.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looking forward to someone comparing these to both models of Coil...
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Looking forward to someone comparing these to both models of Coil...
I’ve been thinking about buying all of them and shooting them out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff.calcaska View Post
I won’t be the one to stand in your way, Jeff
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I already have the 2 Retros on order - just send me the coils and i'll do it :-)!

Seriously - Do It and post back...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope you do. I’m trying to do this with Mics at the moment and it’s worth it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

looking at the 500pre more carefully, how would an owner replace a tube?

Is there enough room to remove tubes and replace them without removing parts?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
looking at the 500pre more carefully, how would an owner replace a tube?

Is there enough room to remove tubes and replace them without removing parts?
There seems to be space ... but very tight.

What I can’t get my head around is that photo of 8 of these in a rack with no fire extinguisher in the shot

I would be very concerned about heat. Especially as there is not a handy on off button on the front so when you power up your rack the valves start heating up in there ...

But hey ... its Retro ... I am going to imagine they know s little bit more than me about “toobs”
Old 2 weeks ago
I can’t seem to find a revealing picture of the Retro 500pre circuit design?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Ha ha it's true - if you remove the gain reduction element of a STA (or LA2A) they make really great tube mic pre's!

I sometimes use my Retro STA as a line conditioner (no GR) to add colour to a Millennia passive shunt opto compressor I use - it works really well.

I bet this pre is going to sound fantastic on vocals and bass.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i´m realy interested. Does somebody knows where i could hear it in main bus as a soft tube limiter circuit before buying?
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Ha ha it's true - if you remove the gain reduction element of a STA (or LA2A) they make really great tube mic pre's!

I sometimes use my Retro STA as a line conditioner (no GR) to add colour to a Millennia passive shunt opto compressor I use - it works really well.

I bet this pre is going to sound fantastic on vocals and bass.
Yep agree STA is a very nice pre, i just plug 'em in.

Imagine this dedicated 'preamp version' will be quieter and has 30 dB more gain so highly recommended.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search