The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: New 50th Anniversary Products from API
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Hardware AES 2019: New 50th Anniversary Products from API

Adding to the collection of products celebrating the company’s 50th Anniversary, API is pleased to announce the debut of two new limited edition units, the 862 50th Anniversary Edition Channel Strip and the 2500 50th Anniversary Edition Stereo Bus Compressor.

The 862 features a combination of the 550A EQ and 312 Mic Preamp 50th Anniversary Editions, integrating the original 500 Series pcb’s exactly as they were designed by API’s founder, the legendary Saul Walker. The result is a vintage-style, highly collectable and incredible sounding API classic. Each 862 Anniversary Edition is individually serialized denoting its status as part of a limited run of only 50 units. Painstakingly assembled and carefully hand wired, the 862 is a true work of art and a rare piece of recording history. 

Next, the new 50th Anniversary Edition 2500 Bus Compressor features a vintage style optimized with a several new features, including flexible output mix blending, LED gain reduction meters, premium VU meters, and a 2U, gold-faced chassis. As with the 862, a limited run of 50 units will be produced. Carefully designed to deliver API’s signature analog sound, the 2500-AE delivers warmth, clarity and punch, whether used for subtle adjustments or heavy compression effects.

For more information on the 50th Anniversary Edition 862 and 2500, please visit apiaudio.com. Units are now shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: New 50th Anniversary Products from API-press_862_2500_50th_anniv.jpg  
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Maniac

API Announces New 50th Anniversary Products at AES

Adding to the collection of products celebrating the company’s 50th Anniversary, API is pleased to announce the debut of two new limited edition units, the 862 50th Anniversary Edition Channel Strip and the 2500 50th Anniversary Edition Stereo Bus Compressor. 

The 862 features a combination of the 550A EQ and 312 Mic Preamp 50th Anniversary Editions, integrating the original 500 Series pcb’s exactly as they were designed by API’s founder, the legendary Saul Walker. The result is a vintage-style, highly collectable and incredible sounding API classic. Each 862 Anniversary Edition is individually serialized denoting its status as part of a limited run of only 50 units. Painstakingly assembled and carefully hand wired, the 862 is a true work of art and a rare piece of recording history. 

Next, the new 50th Anniversary Edition 2500 Bus Compressor features a vintage style optimized with a several new features, including flexible output mix blending, LED gain reduction meters, premium VU meters, and a 2U, gold-faced chassis. As with the 862, a limited run of 50 units will be produced. Carefully designed to deliver API’s signature analog sound, the 2500-AE delivers warmth, clarity and punch, whether used for subtle adjustments or heavy compression effects.

For more information on the 50th Anniversary Edition 862 and 2500, please visit apiaudio.com. Units are now shipping. 

Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: New 50th Anniversary Products from API-press_862_2500_50th_anniv.jpg  
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

that 2500 looks awesome!!!
Old 16th October 2019
The compressor release looks interesting.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Addict

Holy christ I want the 2500.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear
nice, i wonder what the streetprice will be
looks like a collectors item
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yummy.

R.
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

MIX CONTROL on the 2500, FINALLY! This is now the BEST drum compressor in existence. However, this will be over 3 grand, yea?
Old 16th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
MIX CONTROL on the 2500, FINALLY! This is now the BEST drum compressor in existence. However, this will be over 3 grand, yea?
Probably will cost more than the original 2500. IMO the new features should be standard. Hopefully this isn't a collectors item.
Old 16th October 2019
Gear Nut
Why only 50 units?
Old 17th October 2019
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

sorry guys - guess it´s just my grumpy night tonight...
but from a corporate design point of view this is kinda sad for a 50th aniversary.
Two completely new (?) and different VU meters for these pieces ? ehm...
The knobs - actually THE design trademark of API ? ehm...
And finally the delibarate try to put the "correctly" designed knobs plus the API logo into the zeros of the model numbers....ehm...

I´m sure they sound like somewhere between gorgeous and heavenly though...and that´s what counts.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
....plus the API logo into the zeros of the model numbers....ehm...
Yes I'll admit that gave me an "ehmmm..." moment too but on the whole, and until I saw the price, I also have to admit my mouth did water when I saw it. Similar to how I get when I see cookies... Yum.

R.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge View Post
sorry guys - guess it´s just my grumpy night tonight...
but from a corporate design point of view this is kinda sad for a 50th aniversary.
Two completely new (?) and different VU meters for these pieces ? ehm...
The knobs - actually THE design trademark of API ? ehm...
And finally the delibarate try to put the "correctly" designed knobs plus the API logo into the zeros of the model numbers....ehm...

I´m sure they sound like somewhere between gorgeous and heavenly though...and that´s what counts.
Yea, the aesthetics could have been a lot better. This looks lazy. I would have preferred the usual API aesthetics but enhanced. The same 1 rack unit just maybe in gold. Why the grey colors on the knobs? Why wouldn't a 50th anniversary product celebrate all of the usual API trademarks but just better? This looks more like a JDK unit than API.

However, it's still gonna sound like API and that compressor on drums is gonna kill it with the mix control (which should just be standard on all 2500s - which are now terribly overpriced).

Last edited by mike vee; 17th October 2019 at 06:11 PM..
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Addict

Love the new features of the 2500, but damn is that ugly!!

Shame...hopefully they come out with a classic look.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post
Love the new features of the 2500, but damn is that ugly!!

Shame...hopefully they come out with a classic look.
I don't get why even the new 500 series has no mix control - you get that on any compressors under 1000 bucks these day, almost all of them.
Old 17th October 2019
Lives for gear

None of this makes any sense to me!

The color scheme should be the actual 50 year old Saul Walker "white." as far as I know/can find API never used round meters (the 500 series and channel strip would look way better with the 525 meter) and the 2500 wasn't released until the year 2000!

The features are great though

also c'mon 2500 has a 50 right in the middle of it... seems they could have gone with the easy cheesy but less awful

Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: New 50th Anniversary Products from API-550a.jpg  
Old 17th October 2019
I wish it had switches instead of pots ;-)
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Addict

I bet you it looks brill' in person.
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

The API club is an expensive one to be in. Definitely aimed towards the country club and $50,000 per table crowd hehehe.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
The API club is an expensive one to be in. Definitely aimed towards the country club and $50,000 per table crowd hehehe.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!
tell that to the liberals
Old 20th October 2019
Gear Maniac

... they look ugly ... actually, pathetic ... and I am an Api fan ...
Old 20th October 2019
Gear Addict

I like them, I think they look cool. I bet they will look really dope in a nice rack with studio lighting.

The commercial photography type lighting never does gear justice. People said the same about the new Lynx Aurora n when they first came out.
Old 20th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post

Can we get a real studio pic of them in a rack?

*edit*

Here's a video, I think it looks a lot better even in this convention center lighting

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search