The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: United Studio Technologies UT FET47
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Of particular interest will be a comparison of this version against that of Chad’s former employer, Warm Audio.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IMHO Chad's freer hand in design = even further upgrade with 47 FET style.
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

this is great. My Neumann FET47 lives on bass drum except when I want to use it for overdubs on specific sources, and I can put this mic on bass drum and let it really live there and keep the Neumann available for other sources....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by moranpro View Post
Of particular interest will be a comparison of this version against that of Chad’s former employer, Warm Audio.
I look forward to that as well; though just to be accurate, they never released a FET47. I do sometimes see their 47jr referred to as such (not by them, but by some dealers and reviewers who just aren't aware, I think); but very important to clarify that its not. I had developed the 'jr' to be project studio vocal mic with a unique character that stood out on its own... and its a very different animal from what a FET47 is. The 'jr' is a neutral, transformerless, modern circuit, etc. A FET47 is very much different.

I only mention this to hopefully head off any direct comparisons to that mic, as they would surely be wildly different from one another. Both are nice mics, just apples and oranges.

-Chad
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Plus you have the mod for the Jr.
To make it more...like an 87!
Chris
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud Charlier View Post
Am i the only one to feel uncomfortable about this ?

This microphone is obviously a copy of a famous model that is still (again) in production and easily available. We all know chinese rip-offs, but this is coming from the U.S. Isn't this design stealing?

They even claim "The UT FET47 represents several years of R&D, blood, sweat, and tears". Really?
I can barely tell one model car from another without looking at the name on it. They all have the same basic amenities made from the same basic materials. I'm sure parts are even sourced from some of the same factories. But they come at different price points using sometimes different grades of material or including some luxury perks this way or that.

The point is that care design, like vacuum cleaners, like microphones, like preamps, like bicycles, like sneakers are all pretty standardized. They amount to what the current state of manufacturing technology and material technology can produce and which designs are most popular.

We don't fault other industries and companies for adhering to basically standardized designs. Of course, when you buy Neumann you buy the original and there is a pride in ownership and price to pay for that pride.

But a Hermes handbag isn't actually better than a Coach or even a brand X handbag, it is the bragging rights of owning an expensive status symbol.

It may hurt some peoples sensibilities that owning a Neumann is no longer a leg up in audio quality but rather a status symbol. The whole idea of status symbols may be anathema to gear heads but they most certainly exist and microphones like this one pretty much rub peoples face in that raw fact.

In the words of Mick Mulvaney "Get over it" ( is that a bit too much?)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
This is a must try ..can't wait
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Any patents on it would have expired 30 years ago, so, no. The technical design is free for anyone to use however they see fit.
This x100.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanepic View Post
but lack of sound samples makes me frustrated. Any chance we can hear this mic on sources?
I too would love to hear some samples. I will be staying tuned to your website Mr. Kelly awaiting sound files. This has floated to the top of my purchase list for 2020.... just need to hear to check all the boxes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Mic looks killer.
Equipped with the finest components:
Cinemag & Heiserman

Looking forward to finding out more info about these custom Heiserman HZ series Capsules as it gets closer to release date.

Anything Chad is involved in is always top notch.

Last edited by Kumbari; 2 weeks ago at 01:43 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbari View Post
Mic looks killer.
Equipped with the finest components:
Cinemag & Heiserman

Looking forward to finding out more info about these custom Heiserman HZ series Capsules as it gets closer to release date.

Anything Chad is involved in is always top notch.
thank you so much for the kind words!
So, our HZ series capsules are sort of a fresh take on the classic K47 capsule designed. They were designed for us by Eric Heiserman and manufactured by us. Eric spent a week training our capsule manufacturer, and the series is named for the two engineers who worked on the project for us. The capsules have very excellent side-to-side matching, are very open and articulate, and very three dimensional. They are tonally fairly neutral, neither too bright or too dark. I really am pleased with how they came out and cannot wait for people to hear them. There are two variations of it: one with a single side termination (still a dual diaphragm, dual backplate design, simply because that sounds the best), and a full-on version with both sides terminated that may be used in the very near future (stay tuned )

Chad
www.unitedstudiotech.com
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks very interesting
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
I can barely tell one model car from another without looking at the name on it. They all have the same basic amenities made from the same basic materials. I'm sure parts are even sourced from some of the same factories. But they come at different price points using sometimes different grades of material or including some luxury perks this way or that.

The point is that care design, like vacuum cleaners, like microphones, like preamps, like bicycles, like sneakers are all pretty standardized. They amount to what the current state of manufacturing technology and material technology can produce and which designs are most popular.

We don't fault other industries and companies for adhering to basically standardized designs. Of course, when you buy Neumann you buy the original and there is a pride in ownership and price to pay for that pride.

But a Hermes handbag isn't actually better than a Coach or even a brand X handbag, it is the bragging rights of owning an expensive status symbol.

It may hurt some peoples sensibilities that owning a Neumann is no longer a leg up in audio quality but rather a status symbol. The whole idea of status symbols may be anathema to gear heads but they most certainly exist and microphones like this one pretty much rub peoples face in that raw fact.

In the words of Mick Mulvaney "Get over it" ( is that a bit too much?)
Yeah Coach handbags sound the same as Hermes......LOL!

Seriously tho, I disagree with mics being commodities. Craftsmanship still means something and any transducer is worth spending money on whether monitors or mics.......literally how you capture and playback sound...

Nice to see such a well thought out offering and Eric Heiserman is a class act...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkelly View Post
thank you so much for the kind words!
So, our HZ series capsules are sort of a fresh take on the classic K47 capsule designed. They were designed for us by Eric Heiserman and manufactured by us. Eric spent a week training our capsule manufacturer, and the series is named for the two engineers who worked on the project for us. The capsules have very excellent side-to-side matching, are very open and articulate, and very three dimensional. They are tonally fairly neutral, neither too bright or too dark. I really am pleased with how they came out and cannot wait for people to hear them. There are two variations of it: one with a single side termination (still a dual diaphragm, dual backplate design, simply because that sounds the best), and a full-on version with both sides terminated that may be used in the very near future (stay tuned )

Chad
www.unitedstudiotech.com
Hmm I think I have a good idea who the other capsule engineer and manufacturer is. I’m excited to hear this mic, I’m sure it will sound great!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have listen to the sound on sound video talk all I can say to chad is thank you thank you thank you, now give us the same thing but in tube for again a good price and we will all purchase both of them.
The only problem is I try to call the company to have a quick chat but there is no phone number listed for this company, I never ever ever buy anything until I have spoken to the company in person about the product and asked questions I need to know regarding the product,
However this is absolutely fantastic price wise and what was said in the sound on sound interview
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post
I have listen to the sound on sound video talk all I can say to chad is thank you thank you thank you, now give us the same thing but in tube for again a good price and we will all purchase both of them.
The only problem is I try to call the company to have a quick chat but there is no phone number listed for this company, I never ever ever buy anything until I have spoken to the company in person about the product and asked questions I need to know regarding the product,
However this is absolutely fantastic price wise and what was said in the sound on sound interview
thanks for the kind words, Terry! i sent you a PM.

best,
Chad
www.unitedstudiotech.com
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I'll volunteer to shootout the mic and provide sound samples. I just need to borrow a mic.

There are many 47 "tube" inspired mics out there as well, not to mention a plethora of sm 58 look-alikes. The grocery store has many off-brand products as alternatives, yet their design is still very close to the brand-name. I think this speaks well of their attention to detail.

Now can we please hear it!!??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTunes7 View Post
I'll volunteer to shootout the mic and provide sound samples. I just need to borrow a mic.

There are many 47 "tube" inspired mics out there as well, not to mention a plethora of sm 58 look-alikes. The grocery store has many off-brand products as alternatives, yet their design is still very close to the brand-name. I think this speaks well of their attention to detail.

Now can we please hear it!!??
We're working on that as fast as we can. SOS review I think is in the works, and when we get in our beta units, they will be prioritized to go to some reviewers who will be doing videos, sound samples, etc. It's coming soon!
best,
Chad
www.unitedstudiotech.com
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search