The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: TK Audio announces the all new Tkomp Rack and Tkomp500 Compressors
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

AES 2019: TK Audio announces the all new Tkomp Rack and Tkomp500 Compressors

TK Audio proudly presents the T-Komp, a compressor with a unique design.
The key feature is the ratio, which is level dependent and increases with the signal level, like the vari mu compressors.

To make it as useful as possible the T-Komp has two ratio ranges. The first one goes up to 20:1, perfect for instrument tracking and smashing drums etc., the second one is a more narrow range which makes it more suitable for bus compression.
The T-Komp can be selected between feed-forward mode for a punchy, modern response or feed-back mode with a smoother, more musical response.

The RMS detector has five settings, four from fast to slow where number four, the slowest, is similar to the old 160VU. The fifth position is a program dependent adaptive mode.

It is also equipped with a blend control for easy parallel compression, a HPF-filter to make it less sensitive to low energy like bass and kick drum, and for stereo use there is a link switch.

The T-Komp is the perfect workhorse both for tracking and mixing!
Level dependent ratio which increases with the signal level just like vari-mu compressors.

Two ratio ranges, 1:1 to 20:1 or 1:1 to 2:1.
Feed-forward mode for a punchy, modern response or feed-back mode with a smoother more musical response (rack version only).
Five RMS settings, four from fast to slow and a program dependent adaptive mode.
Blend control for easy parallel compression.
150Hz sidechain HPF (rack version only).

The T-Komp is available as a dual mono rack unit or as a single channel 500-series module. They are available for ordering from October 16th 2019.

All units are assembled by hand in the workshop in Halmstad, Sweden.
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: TK Audio announces the all new Tkomp Rack and Tkomp500 Compressors-t-komp-r-panel-1k5.jpg   AES 2019: TK Audio announces the all new Tkomp Rack and Tkomp500 Compressors-t-komp-500-panel_400.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Is stereo linking possible?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncite View Post
Is stereo linking possible?
The rack version has a link switch. But there's no room for a link switch on the 500 unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
The rack version has a link switch. But there's no room for a link switch on the 500 unit.
Thank you. Sorry, missed the link switch on the front.

I think this sounds like an interesting unit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Pricing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bet this will be great value per channel for inserts in my analog mixer. Analog compressors is what I have the most of as I find VSTs a bit lacking or CPU taxing and a well produced song doesn’t need as much special EQ as it does managing dynamics. Board EQ or plugins work great with a Massive Passive on the master buss.

It all depends on the envelope and grab of the compression as the sound is probably very uncolored clean. Not every element in a mix needs transformers or tubes. I have other units for that.

If it sounds cool I’ll grab one for sure!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
I bet this will be great value per channel for inserts in my analog mixer. Analog compressors is what I have the most of as I find VSTs a bit lacking or CPU taxing and a well produced song doesn’t need as much special EQ as it does managing dynamics. Board EQ or plugins work great with a Massive Passive on the master buss.

It all depends on the envelope and grab of the compression as the sound is probably very uncolored clean. Not every element in a mix needs transformers or tubes. I have other units for that.

If it sounds cool I’ll grab one for sure!
The T-Komp's has higher THD than normal VCA compressors to give it some character without using transformers.

Last edited by Tekay; 4 weeks ago at 12:07 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekay View Post
The T-Komp's has much higher THD than normal VCA compressors to give it some character without using transformers.
Nice! I have high hopes for this one. Nice to support other scandinavians as well. My BC-1 MK2 is on every mix I do!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
Nice! I have high hopes for this one. Nice to support other scandinavians as well. My BC-1 MK2 is on every mix I do!
Thanx!
You can order it from Deluxe Oslo!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

that rack compressor looks awesome
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Clever making the alternate range 2:1. I'm assuming because the meter lines up without having to guess or make multiple meter markings. For example 8dB = .8dB, 12dB=1.2dB, 20dB=2dB of reduction in 2:1 mode, would that be correct?

I'm a big fan of these types of compressors - I swear by my Buzz audio DBC which does the same thing, the ratio gets higher as the comp gets hit harder. It's great for transient rich stuff like drums and guitar where you can smash it when it hits super hard but not smash it too much when it's not hitting the comp hard. Great for getting vocalists under control without destroying them.

This is great with the ff/fb option - I'm assuming with the adaptive ratio and fb it's pretty transparent in getting things under control.

Congrats on the release. I'm keeping my eye on this one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

It sounds amazing! Had the chance to try it in the studio on various mixes we are working on. You know it’s good when you find yourself just smiling. The snare drum just sinks but is still prominent. Darn good compressor. Gonna buy one for sure! T-komps to the chef.
Staffan Karlsson/Sweetspot studio, Sweden
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Clever making the alternate range 2:1. I'm assuming because the meter lines up without having to guess or make multiple meter markings. For example 8dB = .8dB, 12dB=1.2dB, 20dB=2dB of reduction in 2:1 mode, would that be correct?
No, the meter scale is the same for both ratio ranges
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoxRecords View Post
Pricing?
T-Komp rack MSRP $1599
T-Komp 500 MSRP $599
/
TK
Old 3 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Short slide show explanation of the T-Komp rack
https://youtu.be/QroFXFP9TRM
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Hi,

great looking processor! Curious to know a couple of things:

1) are the pots stepped for easy recall?

2) I can't seem to grasp the core concept of RMS timing so I'd love it if you could expand a little on that? Perhaps (if it's not a trade secret) share the timing values attack and release within the RMS timings?

Thanks in advance!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsepi View Post
Hi,

great looking processor! Curious to know a couple of things:

1) are the pots stepped for easy recall?

2) I can't seem to grasp the core concept of RMS timing so I'd love it if you could expand a little on that? Perhaps (if it's not a trade secret) share the timing values attack and release within the RMS timings?

Thanks in advance!
All potentiometers are detended (41 clicks).

The attack and release are locked in relationship to each other.
Average timing:
1. 1mS / 40mS (most useful for peak limiting)
2. 5mS / 200mS
3. 10mS / 400mS
4. 25mS / 1000mS (similare to the old 160vu)
5. Adaptive mode
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

A little off topic, but recently rediscovered my BC2-ME. Had pulled it out of the rack and was mainly using Neve MBP and Manley VM with Sontec EQ and tube rolled KT-EQPs. Decided to put it back in the chain and had never heard it placed before the KTs, which I got after pulling the Tk out of the rack. Damn that thing really sounds amazing when it’s placed in front of the KTs. It’s back in the rack to stay!! Also looking into the new Tk-lizer. TK makes reliable great sounding gear!! Keep up the great work!! Ok.... back on topic....
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
A little off topic, but recently rediscovered my BC2-ME. Had pulled it out of the rack and was mainly using Neve MBP and Manley VM with Sontec EQ and tube rolled KT-EQPs. Decided to put it back in the chain and had never heard it placed before the KTs, which I got after pulling the Tk out of the rack. Damn that thing really sounds amazing when it’s placed in front of the KTs. It’s back in the rack to stay!! Also looking into the new Tk-lizer. TK makes reliable great sounding gear!! Keep up the great work!! Ok.... back on topic....
Interesting!

I have a BC1 LTD, and currently have it out of the rack. I was considering getting a BC2. How does it compare in compression and tone to the MBP? The MBP is also on my radar.

The TK Lizer is a fantastic device. Being able to solo mids/sides is gold in my books.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengu View Post
Interesting!

I have a BC1 LTD, and currently have it out of the rack. I was considering getting a BC2. How does it compare in compression and tone to the MBP? The MBP is also on my radar.

The TK Lizer is a fantastic device. Being able to solo mids/sides is gold in my books.
The cool thing about the BC2 (aside from all switches) is the THD and transformer, which adds something special. I tend to only use the THD, and it sounds amazing in front of tubes. It has the SSL grab, but I think it’s a little smoother to my ear. If you take THD out, it’s pretty neutral. I have an SSL X-Rack Buss Comp, but prefer the BC2 for mastering. When you engage the THD, it gets warm, but not ‘hazy’, and is still grabby. I usually use it to shave no more than 2db off the major transients. Sending that into the Pultec like tube EQs sounds wonderful. Something I only recently discovered.

The MBP is an amazing machine. It’s at the front of my chain and stays there. I use it to gain up the analog signal going into downstream gear. It has an analog output meter so I know exactly how hard I’m hitting my gear. It’s on the cleaner side, but not transparent. I don’t use the compressor on it as much as for gain staging and the SFE, which is great. It just imparts something really nice on the front end that nothing else in my rack does.

They are both great compressors. And for the type of work I do, it’s a great pair. I have a Vari Mu when I really want to add color, mainly for acoustic stuff. I don’t get as much of that anymore, but will keep the Vari Mu. When needed there is nothing like it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search