The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassole View Post
I'm in the same boat with you regarding the X-Touch. I need something to give me total control within the DAW. Softube doesn't offer this from what I can tell. It is simply a plug-in overlay for your DAW to introduce their own plug-ins (SSL4000 in C1, Tube/Discrete Emulations & Spatializer in C1F) into your DAW (kind of like any other plug-ins you would use) using their controller to manipulate the sound in a more tactile way. The fact that they have a close integration with UAD and Apollo Console is a plus for me, but I see the X-Touch as essential for control, and the Softube gear as simply a really nice add-on.
For the DAW's where there is full integration Studio 1, Cubase, Reaper etc. The Fader, Mute, and Solo control the DAW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimbot View Post
Anyone understand the Console Emulation here (Tube or Discrete)?
Is it an extra layer of emulation in addition to what's in the channel strip - or instead of it?
I wonder if they have modelled multiple console channels (like Brainworx or Presonus CTC-1) or if it is a single channel replicated for each instance??
They are additional to the existing drive options and sit in the same place on a strip for instance. You'll be able swap out the different favours.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV View Post
Combi Lux Desk Stand
beautiful design!! and so quickly after the release

My personal preference would be more of this idea but its all about one's workflow.
Attached Thumbnails
AES 2019: Softube launches Console 1 Fader-a4612cf4-c7ca-4335-895b-c996ddba78fe.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Would love to see how fully integrateble it is with Reaper. I got Federport a while ago and it was a nightmare
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So what doesn't work with Logic? And is the issue on Apple's end not wanting to play or is there something just fundamentally different with how they code the channels?

Is a fix to this coming as it did with Ableton Live?

Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Thr Mackie Controller is still the best DAW controller out there in the lower price range. Cant imagine not having scribble strips. If you want something smaller, is hard to beat the Advid controller.
Old 3 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm pretty excited about the various different ways to impact level and balance from these faders in ways other than JUST volume - riding the faders to adjust drive/saturation is pretty great, as is riding faders that are adjusting LPF's... sometimes rolling the top out of a few tracks is all you need to push them down in the mix, and having that control via faders is exciting. sign me up!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is Logic X fully supported now?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Is Logic X fully supported now?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Looks like a great product for Studio One, Cubase, Reaper and Sonar users. Well priced too! Good job Softube.

If Pro Tools users want a hardware control surface then the Avid S1 will be the ticket for them along with the upcoming Avid Control App.
Yeah except it costs twice as much (not counting the cost of the iPad that you have to supply), has 2 less faders, and doesn't even do all the stuff C1 Fader does. Avid hardware is the Apple of the audio business. Yeah, their stuff looks nice but it's not even close to worth the money you pay for it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Softube is going for an ecosystem type of approach, so I get it. I'm still not in love with it though, if it is correct that C1F doesn't actually control the DAW faders and instead only controls the fader on an instantiation of one their console plugins on each channel.
In most every DAW it controls the actual fader. I can say from my own experience it does in PT at least. And I know the integration with Studio One and Sonar is even more comprehensive.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak View Post
In most every DAW it controls the actual fader. I can say from my own experience it does in PT at least. And I know the integration with Studio One and Sonar is even more comprehensive.
Really? I sold my Console 1 over a year ago but when I had it it didn’t control faders in Pro Tools. Softube’s own website says it still doesn’t. You’ve gotten it to control faders in Pro Tools?
Old 3 weeks ago
So will the new width feature become a feature on console 1 without the faders or is it a fader exclusive add on?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
So will the new width feature become a feature on console 1 without the faders or is it a fader exclusive add on?
The new width and drive features are exclusive to Fader.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Really? I sold my Console 1 over a year ago but when I had it it didn’t control faders in Pro Tools. Softube’s own website says it still doesn’t. You’ve gotten it to control faders in Pro Tools?
I believe so...full disclosure, I've been out on the road for a couple of months so haven't had my hands on it in quite some time, and when I am home I've been using a Behringer X-Touch One for controlling automation, so usually I'm not grabbing the volume knob on the C1 very often if ever. But I seem to recall it working when I first got it (which again to be fair was over a year ago). That being said, AFAIK both the C1 and my X-Touch use the same protocol to talk to PT, and the X-Touch definitely works, so theoretically the C1F would as well.

Anyway, just ordered my C1F so I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when I'm home And to be honest, I feel there's a very good chance I'll just take the faders off my screen anyway, and simply look down at the faders themselves, as one would on an analog console (which of course is the whole thing they're trying to emulate in the first place). More screen real estate is always a good thing, so now perhaps I can have my bus compressor always on screen, or some such thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
The new width and drive features are exclusive to Fader.
Thought I heard somewhere (Softube presentation by George?) that the drive feature would be implemented for C1. I can only hope this is true.

Meanwhile if you have the have both C1 and C1F can you then change the drive from e.g. SSL 4K to 9K and keep the gate, EQ and compressor unchanged?

For me it would be a reason to buy C1F, albeit it ought to be implemented in C1.

Also I might buy C1F just to get volume control without the acceleration I get with the volume knob in C1 in DAW mode.

... Don't tell me I can get that linear volume behavior in DAW mode. There is a setting, yes, but it is still accelerated unless you switch to non-DAW mode. How do they think you can write usable volume automation with a knob working like that?

Think of that, having to buy C1F just to get two features that should have been in C1 in the first place.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombuur View Post
Thought I heard somewhere (Softube presentation by George?) that the drive feature would be implemented for C1. I can only hope this is true.

Meanwhile if you have the have both C1 and C1F can you then change the drive from e.g. SSL 4K to 9K and keep the gate, EQ and compressor unchanged?

For me it would be a reason to buy C1F, albeit it ought to be implemented in C1.

Also I might buy C1F just to get volume control without the acceleration I get with the volume knob in C1 in DAW mode.

... Don't tell me I can get that linear volume behavior in DAW mode. There is a setting, yes, but it is still accelerated unless you switch to non-DAW mode. How do they think you can write usable volume automation with a knob working like that?

Think of that, having to buy C1F just to get two features that should have been in C1 in the first place.
AFAIK, you've always been able to change out different modules, like using the EQ from one channel strip and the comp from a different one. I only have the stock 4K one so I've never been able to attempt it, but if I recall the C1 launch correctly, that was one of the selling points...swapping a UAD compressor but retaining the 4K EQ, for example.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojak View Post
AFAIK, you've always been able to change out different modules, like using the EQ from one channel strip and the comp from a different one. I only have the stock 4K one so I've never been able to attempt it, but if I recall the C1 launch correctly, that was one of the selling points...swapping a UAD compressor but retaining the 4K EQ, for example.
Yes, you can e.g. swap your 4K with a 9K. But then you have to swap gate, EQ and compressor one by one. There are buttons for that: shift + 2, 3 or 4. But if you have a 4K running, you can't swap the drive section to 9K leaving the rest unchanged. There is no button for that. So it's three swaps and maybe some extra adjustments.

What we are asking for is button to swap the drive section only.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I got from the demo video was that the drive controls were it's own thing for C1F, however there was an option to control different parameters from other plugs (I think up to 3 things?), so perhaps the drive function from another plug would be possible.

And I just heard that they've updated their Apollo Central software to have C1 and C1F be mapped to all UAD plugs, as well as UAD Console for tracking. Hopefully, this includes the UAD SSL.

That should be a cool option for UAD users.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Any special stand previewed to combine the console 1 strip and the control 1Fader as it appears on their presentation video?

Sergio
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Any special stand previewed to combine the console 1 strip and the control 1Fader as it appears on their presentation video?

Sergio
Not from Softtube. Folks are just going to have to wait for third party manufacturers on this one.

But most people have different desks with various angles and configurations. I wouldn't expect a product that's a one-size-fits-all solution.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
What I got from the demo video was that the drive controls were it's own thing for C1F, however there was an option to control different parameters from other plugs (I think up to 3 things?), so perhaps the drive function from another plug would be possible.
I too watched the demo. I would prefer an answer from someone who actually has both C1 and C1F. With this combination, can you change the drive section selectively and keep everything else the same (e.g. shape, EQ, compressor in C1)?

The "3 parameters you can control" looks to me like a duplication of a function already in C1 in DAW mode, i.e. the 3 first sends in the DAW channel, not other plugins.

BTW I wonder why Softube has launched a new product with so little available information. Compare to another Swedish company (Toontrack) that recently launched the Decades drum sample extension with loads of videos documenting the product.
Old 2 weeks ago
News Desk Editor

Console 1 x Apollo Central

Console 1 x Apollo Central

Console 1 Fader was launched a couple of weeks ago, and now we're delighted to announce full compatibility with Apollo Central. Control tracking, and even a live mix, with your UA Apollo interface and Fader.

We were live at the weekend, with VP of Products Niklas, to talk more about the Console 1 ecosystem, Fader, and Apollo Central:

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

i think it's time for me to get both C1 & C1F
as it fits my workflow better now, and it looks incredible, but i really want the stand they have in their videos
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I have posted these questions in the FB group, but have had no answers. Anyone here to help?

1. Is there a simple way to turn off movement of the faders? There are situations where I find it disturbing if the faders move whenever I choose another track, e.g. during editing audio clips.

2. Is it simple to replace the faders? I had a Mackie MCU for several years and had to replace a fader twice. It was simple. Obviously motorized moving parts are more prone to malfunction than the electronics.

3. Can the pan knob be pulled off and replaced? I have customized my Console 1 with SSL look-alike knobs so I would want this to match.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have posted these questions in the FB group, but have had no answers. Anyone here to help?

1. Is there a simple way to turn off movement of the faders? There are situations where I find it disturbing if the faders move whenever I choose another track, e.g. during editing audio clips.

2. Is it simple to replace the faders? I had a Mackie MCU for several years and had to replace a fader twice. It was simple. Obviously motorized moving parts are more prone to malfunction than the electronics.

3. Can the pan knob be pulled off and replaced? I have customized my Console 1 with SSL look-alike knobs so I would want this to match.
It's too early to know. Hardly anyone owns it yet because it hasn't shipped from most outlets.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search