The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module - Bart HRK
Old 11th October 2019
  #1
Gear Head
 
Bart_UK's Avatar
 

Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module - Bart HRK

Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module
  • Inspired by Classic British Design
  • Ads the Midrange Weight and Space
  • Introduces Native Compression Effect
  • Class A Discrete / IC Circuitry
  • Two Saturation Stages
  • Asymmetric Clipping at Overdrive
  • Selected NOS Transistors
  • Selected Integrated Circuit
  • High Headroom Capabilities
  • Ideal for Mastering and Tracking
  • Compatible with DIYRE Colour Format


The Solid State Console is a hybrid, discrete / IC Colour Module inspired by the sound of the famous large format mixing desks manufactured in Oxford, UK.

The Solid State Console is built with two Class A gain stages, made of discrete transistors and integrated circuit operational amplifiers.

The Solid State Console produces a wide range of harmonics, mainly even, making the sound stage more open and vivid. Similar to what you would expect from a large format mixing desk.

The Solid State Console has high headroom capabilities and is ideal for mastering or tracking.

The Solid State Console along with the Britsh Console and the GT Console colour modules can create the perfect mastering setup delivering unique tone flavours of every era in the history of the recording industry.


HD Audio Samples are available on the page:

https://barthrk.com/product/solid-st...colour-module/
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module - Bart HRK-fb-post.jpg   Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module - Bart HRK-solid-state-console-colour-module-bart-hrk-1.jpg   Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module - Bart HRK-solid-state-console-colour-module-bart-hrk.jpg  
Old 11th October 2019
  #2
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Patrick_'s Avatar
Ohhh yeah I’m buying......

Edit: DONE!
Attached Thumbnails
Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module - Bart HRK-c8fe3852-0788-462d-b2a7-50319783cc18.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Thats about 5 vcas too little
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Obvious question, how do I use it? I mean, how do I connect it to my DAW? A box with IO and power? A 500 Series module carrier?

:-)
Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Escobar View Post
Obvious question, how do I use it? I mean, how do I connect it to my DAW? A box with IO and power? A 500 Series module carrier?

:-)
500 Series modules.



Old 4 weeks ago
  #7
Looks pretty amazing!

The page says that some modules and the 500 box is being depreciated. Will be any replacements?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Is it only 500 series.i've ran out of space in my case and dont wish to buy another one

Seems limiting to reduce it to just 500series
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Do I get this right?..

You buy a color-module and you screw that on a blank slot?
How many color-modules can you fit on a 500-slot?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Do I get this right?..

You buy a color-module and you screw that on a blank slot?
How many color-modules can you fit on a 500-slot?
You first need a 500 Series rack and then a 500 Series unit that supports Colour modules (they're single slot - so mono units), popular units from DIYRE, HRK or Louder Than Liftoff.

You simply clip the colour modules into the 500 Series units, some you can build but most come assembled.

I have 6 HRK C544 that take up to 4 modules each, very happy with mine. HRK are great value imo.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
nosebleedaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
Is it only 500 series.i've ran out of space in my case and dont wish to buy another one

Seems limiting to reduce it to just 500series
It has In/Out and +- Supply, could be installed in a box, module with the room ect..
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
You first need a 500 Series rack and then a 500 Series unit that supports Colour modules (they're single slot - so mono units), popular units from DIYRE, HRK or Louder Than Liftoff.

You simply clip the colour modules into the 500 Series units, some you can build but most come assembled.

I have 6 HRK C544 that take up to 4 modules each, very happy with mine. HRK are great value imo.

Thanks.
Yeah I have the radial 500 workhorse(3 piece) but its full right now.
So if you need a stereobus you have to buy 2 blank pieces.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Thanks.
Yeah I have the radial 500 workhorse(3 piece) but its full right now.
So if you need a stereobus you have to buy 2 blank pieces.
Yes, 2 units for Stereo, Elysia have a 2 slot 500 Series rack out soon called Qube. I'm out of rack space too right now, I hope it's reasonably priced.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
Yes, 2 units for Stereo, Elysia have a 2 slot 500 Series rack out soon called Qube. I'm out of rack space too right now, I hope it's reasonably priced.
I saw on their Homesite that they have single slot stereo units with 4 blank slots , 2 for each channel. Sounds too good to be true
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
I saw on their Homesite that they have single slot stereo units with 4 blank slots , 2 for each channel. Sounds too good to be true
I forgot about the stereo unit. They function differently, you should check the flow diagrams on the site for the way they handle the signal in/out of the modules.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
I saw on their Homesite that they have single slot stereo units with 4 blank slots , 2 for each channel. Sounds too good to be true
I have one. Barely used due to time constraints. The general consensus is the HRK 500 units aren’t quite as robust as DIYRE or LTL however the price is great and they do what is said on the box.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Received my 2 today, nice open sound, they're also adding around 5dB.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
Received my 2 today, nice open sound, they're also adding around 5dB.
Do you like what it's doing to your sound? Is it it something you'd want on your mixbus? Possibly as a finisher?

Does it add any noticeable pleasing harmonics?

Do you own any other modules that you could compare it to?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm debating grabbing a pair this week... or eating. Haha.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatio View Post
Do you like what it's doing to your sound? Is it it something you'd want on your mixbus? Possibly as a finisher?

Does it add any noticeable pleasing harmonics?

Do you own any other modules that you could compare it to?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm debating grabbing a pair this week... or eating. Haha.
Yeah, I'd say it's perfect for a mixbus or finisher (with low-medium drive for saturation). It's hard to compare colours, they're all quite unique. The best word to describe this is open and yes it's very pleasing.

I'm also liking what it does to bass when driven hard, this module is worth exploring imo.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Gear Maniac
I have bought two of these. I'm after that big console "depth" you immediately fall in love with you once hear it. They are very convincing in that regard. They have quite a strict breaking point where the full blown distortion kicks in, I assume it's because of the IC on board, as these are hybrid design. So I'd use it on low to medium settings. They give a VERY NICE stereo field and depth to your mix. I've hooked them up with a stereo 500 colour module and using them before the DOPA520 pair which gives the ulimate "openess" going alongside with the depth.

I'd say for this price (54 EUR each) its a super value. I'll def use it on each of my mixes. I also have some "Royal Blue" colour modules for tracking (i.e. Neve), so I can finally go with the old rule, "track with Neve, mix with SSL".
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
I have bought two of these. I'm after that big console "depth" you immediately fall in love with you once hear it. They are very convincing in that regard. They have quite a strict breaking point where the full blown distortion kicks in, I assume it's because of the IC on board, as these are hybrid design. So I'd use it on low to medium settings. They give a VERY NICE stereo field and depth to your mix. I've hooked them up with a stereo 500 colour module and using them before the DOPA520 pair which gives the ulimate "openess" going alongside with the depth.

I'd say for this price (54 EUR each) its a super value. I'll def use it on each of my mixes. I also have some "Royal Blue" colour modules for tracking (i.e. Neve), so I can finally go with the old rule, "track with Neve, mix with SSL".
Can we hear some mixes before and after the investment?
It's all about the mids for me
Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
They have quite a strict breaking point where the full blown distortion kicks in, I assume it's because of the IC on board, as these are hybrid design. So I'd use it on low to medium settings.
Yes that breaking point distortion is very noticeable, just before 50% drive on mine, love it on bass.

A nice combo for me has been... DIYRE CTX (medium drive) > HRK SSC (low drive) > HRK Soviet Tube (pentode mode and low drive) on the mixbus, things come alive.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Can we hear some mixes before and after the investment?
It's all about the mids for me
If you want that mid-rangey API sound you could try the CTX Cinemag Transformer pair.

Basically:

SSL -> depth, 3D, modern (newer ones, old ones closer to API sound)
Neve -> rich highs and lows
API -> mid forward in your face


The Pentode is another awesome module, I LOVE it on synths, but I find it a bit too noisy and "vintage" on whole mixes. I use it for tracking. Same with the GT console module, which is also superb saturation, a much more "vintage" feel, very good on drums for example.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
If you want that mid-rangey API sound you could try the CTX Cinemag Transformer pair.

Basically:

SSL -> depth, 3D, modern (newer ones, old ones closer to API sound)
Neve -> rich highs and lows
API -> mid forward in your face


The Pentode is another awesome module, I LOVE it on synths, but I find it a bit too noisy and "vintage" on whole mixes. I use it for tracking. Same with the GT console module, which is also superb saturation, a much more "vintage" feel, very good on drums for example.
I'm more of a ssl midguy. Api is different. I thought this thing had the vintage ssl mid-range?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
I'm more of a ssl midguy. Api is different. I thought this thing had the vintage ssl mid-range?
Intersting, I don't hear the mid-range here, but very nice low end, and very good depth. I asked Bart and he said this wasn't based on a particular console but more like a "general" SSL vibe. To be honest outside of the G compressor (which does the mid range thing via the glue effect) I more associated SSL with punchy and clean and "direct", and always heard API has the super mid-forward thing (both the API 1608 console and the API 2500 comp does this).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakline View Post
Intersting, I don't hear the mid-range here, but very nice low end, and very good depth. I asked Bart and he said this wasn't based on a particular console but more like a "general" SSL vibe. To be honest outside of the G compressor (which does the mid range thing via the glue effect) I more associated SSL with punchy and clean and "direct", and always heard API has the super mid-forward thing (both the API 1608 console and the API 2500 comp does this).
Yeah api is definitely more defined mid-range. Punchy is maybe the right word for ssl.
But ssl has some sort of saturation but maybe that's more if you use the eq alot into the mix buss.
I haven't been near an ssl for at least 15 years so my memory is not really to be trusted.
I used slate vcc to compare the different consoles. Maybe not 100% accurate to the hardware but still gives you a clue.
Softubes console 1 also has alot if ways to compare different saturations and eq behavior.
It sounds like a cool unit anyway.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
denork's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Can we hear some mixes before and after the investment?
It's all about the mids for me
+1 pls
Old 2 weeks ago
  #28
Gear Addict
 
omkar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodistortion View Post
Yes that breaking point distortion is very noticeable, just before 50% drive on mine, love it on bass.

A nice combo for me has been... DIYRE CTX (medium drive) > HRK SSC (low drive) > HRK Soviet Tube (pentode mode and low drive) on the mixbus, things come alive.
Already asked in another topic but it seems I`m more right here,
is there a corner at GS for system-500 related topics
or is there a recommendable specific forum related to it?
Old 1 week ago
  #29
Here for the gear
 

this is the first time i hear about this idea.
it looks cool, i will give it a try and buy 2 to test them.
Old 1 week ago
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart_UK View Post
Solid State Console | Class A Discrete / IC Saturation Colour Module
  • Inspired by Classic British Design
  • Ads the Midrange Weight and Space
  • Introduces Native Compression Effect
  • Class A Discrete / IC Circuitry
  • Two Saturation Stages
  • Asymmetric Clipping at Overdrive
  • Selected NOS Transistors
  • Selected Integrated Circuit
  • High Headroom Capabilities
  • Ideal for Mastering and Tracking
  • Compatible with DIYRE Colour Format


The Solid State Console is a hybrid, discrete / IC Colour Module inspired by the sound of the famous large format mixing desks manufactured in Oxford, UK.

The Solid State Console is built with two Class A gain stages, made of discrete transistors and integrated circuit operational amplifiers.

The Solid State Console produces a wide range of harmonics, mainly even, making the sound stage more open and vivid. Similar to what you would expect from a large format mixing desk.

The Solid State Console has high headroom capabilities and is ideal for mastering or tracking.

The Solid State Console along with the Britsh Console and the GT Console colour modules can create the perfect mastering setup delivering unique tone flavours of every era in the history of the recording industry.


HD Audio Samples are available on the page:

https://barthrk.com/product/solid-st...colour-module/

Thinking of getting into the 500 rack stuff for some analog magic.
Will this work with the Midas Legend?
Thanks in advance.

https://www.thomann.de/gr/midas_legend_l6_reviews.htm
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump