The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SKnote announce PSLTubeComp - From hardware, a Tube Compressor full of attitude.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Demo?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Coming, now that we have done these adjustments.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gee
Lives for gear

How’s the cpu on this. Couldn’t find the demo to check it out
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analag View Post
There's no demo. You buy it and if you don't like it you get a refund. CPU usage is average and varies with the use of the grids
Anything in particular that you feel PSL excels at??
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Purchased.
Thanks Quinto!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Just pointing out something: the plugin will be full price before the demo is out.

For people with limited budgets it is impossible to try it out before purchase with special price...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Anything in particular that you feel PSL excels at??
I like it on drums, bass. Individual sources that is bright or thin. I has a sound which makes the Wet/Dry knob a handy feature. It's not one of those compressors where you pay attention to the VU when dialing in a sound. Gotta go with your ears.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceover Guy View Post
Just pointing out something: the plugin will be full price before the demo is out.

For people with limited budgets it is impossible to try it out before purchase with special price...
You are right, of course. Demo out today, offer extended to Oct 28th.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AAX (Win and Mac) updated online. Loud pop on startup removed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Copy of Phil's Cascade? Better price though...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Every original design is a copy of an original design?

Actually working with high voltages is quite scary if you are used to line-level as we were. An exploding polarised capacitor used to be the worst scenario.

Last edited by quintosardo; 3 weeks ago at 02:29 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A demo version for Windows and Mac OSX, VST and AU, is available online.

Goes to bypass after 10 mins.

AAX formats following shortly.

Last edited by quintosardo; 3 weeks ago at 03:02 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Yay
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like the max 0dB output gain ("Vol") wasn't a clever choice. Some positive gain is needed at the output, with some settings. We are increasing that to something positive and updating.

About some reports like "Autogain doesn't move until I give some input boost", it actually was "Autogain would need more output gain but there wasn't any left". Autogain is doing its magic work wisely and silently, I almost forgot we have to match levels :D
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Goes to bypass after 10 mins.

AAX formats following shortly.
No sound on demo version on REAPER. Mac version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
No sound on demo version on REAPER. Mac version.
I'll beat myself. Back in a minute.

************* EDIT

Yes, please download the Mac VST/AU demo again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AAX for Windows DEMO available online!

*** EDIT

AAX for Mac available, too.

Last edited by quintosardo; 3 weeks ago at 02:08 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AAX Mac users please replace the file, we just uploaded an important update (Max AAX ONLY).
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here we go with some processing on the fly

We start with a strong but not too much setting. Autogain is always enabled so it takes care of keeping the output level matched to the original signal.
Going to something stronger, engaging the tubes a lot more by the right grid, changing their bias at the input stage by the left grid, using the Dry-Wet mix knob, setting a long attack time to let the peaks go into distortion and back.
Lots of variations, long tails, more or less attitude.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi.
I bought it
I have total trust in SKnotes Plugins as I already own many of them and do really like them.

I liked the sound quality of the demo too and like many other of the plugins there is indeed a certain feel of analog-ish to them.

I think it´s great that you have a new line where you emulate a before built hardware unit.

I would really like to see your products having more attention. But there are only some rare information about them to find and often "testing" videos with SKnote plugins get thumbs down for absolutely no clear to understand reasons.

Wish you all the best and keep up the great work. Thank you for the intruduction price, thats awesome. Cheers
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
AAX not working here... No sound when you open the plug in
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaman View Post
AAX not working here... No sound when you open the plug in
Please check the readme: registration is incomplete, I guess
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichttuntun View Post
Hi.
I bought it
I have total trust in SKnotes Plugins as I already own many of them and do really like them.

I liked the sound quality of the demo too and like many other of the plugins there is indeed a certain feel of analog-ish to them.

I think it´s great that you have a new line where you emulate a before built hardware unit.

I would really like to see your products having more attention. But there are only some rare information about them to find and often "testing" videos with SKnote plugins get thumbs down for absolutely no clear to understand reasons.

Wish you all the best and keep up the great work. Thank you for the intruduction price, thats awesome. Cheers
Hey, thanks! :D
No worries, they have so much attention we can barely cope, don't mix "attention" with "marketing"
Some videos are not entertaining, just too technical, like a snare hit repeated again and again (so precious to really hear e.g. what a compressor is doing with different settings). Shining presentations are easier to digest for some distracted public, that's normal!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey, thanks! :D
No worries, they have so much attention we can barely cope, don't mix "attention" with "marketing"
Some videos are not entertaining, just too technical, like a snare hit repeated again and again (so precious to really hear e.g. what a compressor is doing with different settings). Shining presentations are easier to digest for some distracted public, that's normal!
Hi. You're probably right. Glad to hear so from you
Have a great day.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Quinto,
I hooked the comp onto a resonant piano and it is capable of softening the transients very well and musically. I really enjoyed a long release time and the smoothness which occurs when the comp releases it's grip from the material. I got very smooth sounding rhythmical results on sustained notes. In general the compressor sounds natural, and warm. A great VST.

I'd wish to see a switch option between gain and gain reduction and the mix knob could be more prominent and obvious placed.

Edit:
Cool would also be two sliders to adjust the strength of the saturation beside the two tube slots. It's not obvious that you can use this graphics to tweak the saturation at all. Less experienced users will miss or search this feature.

Question:
Normally tubes are everything else but warm and smooth sounding. what makes a tube unit warm are usually the build in transformers. It's there a chance to actually see the compressor you built before you modelled it? I'm very curious to look into it's inside

Cheers

Last edited by nichttuntun; 3 weeks ago at 09:37 AM.. Reason: added a lot of stuff and question
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sure, we'll add some photos to show the prototype, includingbthe tube power supply. Not looking as a fancy unit, because we built it to have it open, but could be interesting.
We also used some basic building units we dedigned for this purpose, they can be assembled together in a more complex circuit while they contain the basic polarisation circuit on a handy small PCB. Sidechain is on breadboard.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thank you quintosardo -loved the demo, bought the plugin ( and Cuttertone).

What exactly does Grid One do? and how do we change behavior from Optical to VCA?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

The left grid changes input stage behaviour, actually closing the frequency response. We are using high values on bass, drums single mics, excessively blatant or harsh sources (generally with some Mix setting).

The sidechain is quite "old style", meaning that it is not clinical. We loved it. When you increase Ratio, time constants change, too, and you get the more "opto" action the higher Ratio is.
You can set Ratio to max and get a smoother action by using the Mix knob, so keeping the more complex action from highest Ratio setting.

Actually you get many different kinds of action by using Ratio, grids, Mix together.

Still it is quite simple and straightforward so you should get a grasp on different routes quite fast.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Currently collecting feedback about extending the "clean" range of the amplifier section.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search