The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Airwindows PurestAir: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST
Old 2 weeks ago
Airwindows

Software Airwindows PurestAir: Mac/Windows/Linux AU/VST

TL;DW: PurestAir is a brightness experiment.

PurestAir.zip(350k)

A while back, I got reminded of this plugin. Someone said, 'you haven't put this out, when are you going to?' and I said 'Oh, that's right, I haven't'.

So here you go. It's a bit weird. Normally 'Purest' plugins are ultra-simple. This isn't quite like that and I don't remember why. It's sort of like Air or Energy, an air-band boost or cut, but it's also got a limiting factor where it'll refuse to boost past a certain intensity of treble. In that way, it's like Acceleration. Except it's not exactly Acceleration, not exactly a slew clipper… heck, it's not even like Air or Energy. It's a little like a de-esser in Bizarro World? Working oppositely?

Anyway, it's yours if you want it. There are many odd ways to do EQ code. This is clearly one of them, and it seems to be not exactly like anything else I've done, and it sure does crank up the extreme air band if you want that. And it's got that clamping factor to cap it (though similarly to Acceleration, it'll give you trouble trying to hear what's being done). I guess check it out, and if your ears are amazing WAY up in the ultra-treble, and you also like the sound of it, you'll probably be able to hear the action of the limiter just fine.

Me, I'm more interested in dark reverbs and deeper spaces and bass, so this was never my pet plugin: maybe it can be yours

Patreon is how I keep doing all this, including the bigger and more generally useful things I have in store (much like Monitoring, and yes, I still have revisions to do on Monitoring and a more intense Cans headphone-crossfeed to deliver). It also pays for vital stuff like food and firewood, and neat stuff like electronics kits. I've bought some, and I hope to put out some nice meditative 'sit with me while I assemble a kit, like from Erica Synths or Music Thing Modular or Bastl' videos. I'm also getting interested in doing some just relaxing in Minecraft, which can also be a stream: perhaps people can join me. But I'll be getting back to the plugin-mongering, it's a regular thing with me as you know
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey Chris not to derail your thread, I'm sure it's a cool plugin experiment and a lot of people are going to get a lot of use out of it.

Just wanted to drop this GUI/"Plugins Combined together" idea in here. airwindows supercompressor. Hope someone likes it!

https://imgur.com/a/z42drUD

Thanks for making awesome plugins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriiive View Post
Hey Chris not to derail your thread, I'm sure it's a cool plugin experiment and a lot of people are going to get a lot of use out of it.

Just wanted to drop this GUI/"Plugins Combined together" idea in here. airwindows supercompressor. Hope someone likes it!

https://imgur.com/a/z42drUD

Thanks for making awesome plugins.
AHAHAHA oh my god…

Do you honestly picture me sticking a link to my Patreon IN THE INTERFACE of any of my plugins? Eeek!

Also, solid state IS analog. I've been playing with a guitar 'ColorDriver' pedal and also buying transistors to experiment with, and you can get very interesting stuff out of solid state. My guitar has never sounded better. Now I just have to play non-bad notes

There will come a time when I am designing stuff like that. It will just be VERY different from literally that, because that is way too cluttered with stuff that doesn't belong. One nice thing about the sliders and the totally faceless plugins is, you're not constantly bugged with advertising. That would be terrible

Edit: I shouldn't be mean. The little Clipper logo is good (should probably be littler). Much less letters, especially of company name or catchphrases or anything like that, and an extra saturation control doesn't belong: that should arise out of the compression algorithm. Clipper shouldn't be inverted (white lines on black). 'variance' isn't what I would use for 'not bypass'… yeah, there's a lot. That said I would be delighted to see someone make this under their OWN name and just credit Airwindows for the algorithms (which you would be changing extensively to stick those controls on, but that's what open source is all about).

Ya gotta trust me. When I get into VSTGUI (probably not including AU, and I would have to switch over to Reaper I think) you'd see how I would design such a thing. It's not that I've never done it, it's that my current process isn't about that.

Last edited by chrisj; 2 weeks ago at 02:29 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
AHAHAHA oh my god…

Do you honestly picture me sticking a link to my Patreon IN THE INTERFACE of any of my plugins? Eeek!

Also, solid state IS analog. I've been playing with a guitar 'ColorDriver' pedal and also buying transistors to experiment with, and you can get very interesting stuff out of solid state. My guitar has never sounded better. Now I just have to play non-bad notes

There will come a time when I am designing stuff like that. It will just be VERY different from literally that, because that is way too cluttered with stuff that doesn't belong. One nice thing about the sliders and the totally faceless plugins is, you're not constantly bugged with advertising. That would be terrible

Edit: I shouldn't be mean. The little Clipper logo is good (should probably be littler). Much less letters, especially of company name or catchphrases or anything like that, and an extra saturation control doesn't belong: that should arise out of the compression algorithm. Clipper shouldn't be inverted (white lines on black). 'variance' isn't what I would use for 'not bypass'… yeah, there's a lot. That said I would be delighted to see someone make this under their OWN name and just credit Airwindows for the algorithms (which you would be changing extensively to stick those controls on, but that's what open source is all about).

Ya gotta trust me. When I get into VSTGUI (probably not including AU, and I would have to switch over to Reaper I think) you'd see how I would design such a thing. It's not that I've never done it, it's that my current process isn't about that.
No worries Chris - jutst trying to help! Here's round 2. https://imgur.com/a/ePDsfYL
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@ overdriiive

Relaly digging the second GUI example. Of course we all know @ chrisj plugins are extremely amazing and the GUI subject has been covered many times. And many have suggested including myself that of course AirWindows plugins would be amazing if they had nice looking GUI etc.. but we all understood the vision that Chris has since day one in developing these great plugins tools. And those who use them understood the vision and decision taken by Chris regarding GUI thus far.

Must admit that I personally love nice GUI or just plugins that have GUI that you can connect your eyes with knobs and function. Althought true, we mix with our ears and not eyes. But still I always welcome a cool GUI. And I'm digging this attemp @ overdriiive have began. Thanks for the effort for both of you.

Great talents around here and we're very lucky.

Thanks @ chrisj for once more an amazing additional tool in your plugins arsenal.

Cheers ;-)

This GUI reminds me of Valhalah plugins style. Simple yet effective to the point.
Old 1 week ago
Airwindows

So this is fun and if people want to comment on PurestAir, don't let us stop you

So let me ask, as the audio DSP programmer responsible for making the plugin's labels not be meaningless hype: what is the difference between 'tube' and 'mosfet'? And do you realize that the Colorsound fuzz (source of my Colordriver) itself has a bass and treble and a master volume? Feels like feature creep man
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

For me the plugins would be more fun to use for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
So this is fun and if people want to comment on PurestAir, don't let us stop you

So let me ask, as the audio DSP programmer responsible for making the plugin's labels not be meaningless hype: what is the difference between 'tube' and 'mosfet'? And do you realize that the Colorsound fuzz (source of my Colordriver) itself has a bass and treble and a master volume? Feels like feature creep man
Chris,

There's plenty of comments that could be made about the mock GUI. It gets away from the spirit of AW and that's a big deal.

I don't think that you have to make any justifications for your work or style of GUI. You have a well established user base, which seems to be growing. You have talked at length to your reasons for not making slick GUI's. Don't think that you have to do that again here.

I also prefer dark reverbs and depth.
Old 1 week ago
Yeah this thread is derailing, but as I've said before at least put a basic JPEG or GiF with the name of the plugin for Identification, doesn't have to be slick, but I can never tell on Studio one , what one Air windows plugin is from another, as a dyslexic I use colour and image a lot.
Anyway looking forward to using Pure Air Thanks Chris, hope you feel better.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
PurestAir sounds great, Chris. Thanks so much for this.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
No worries Chris - jutst trying to help! Here's round 2. https://imgur.com/a/ePDsfYL
The plugin concept may not be overly airwindows-y (do any of his compressors even have attack/release/threshold?)...

BUT: I like the style you've gone for here, using size and positioning for emphasis but still keeping things clean.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
haha..anyone else peep the preset name!

I like the design fwiw
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search