The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RME releases drivers for macOS Catalina
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
: dutch is from holland, deutsch from germany :-)
Holland is a region within the Netherlands
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Do the new drivers help in anyway with the new mac T2 chip conflict with usb audio interfaces causing audio dropout or is that just an entirely seperate issue?

Regarding rme supporting those older units...yeah for me rme are just the best in town. I cant see myself veering to another company for the foreseeable future!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

They already dealt with the T2 in the previous release (which was specifically about that.) I say that running a maxxed out top-of-the-line new Macbook Pro (2 months old) with a MADIfaceXT running constantly for a mission critical tv project. Zero issues.

But to address the Metric Halo, is this forced $500 "upgrade" the "future proof" one or will it be the next card? Please define the "favour" the manufacturer is doing when they collect a profit by force of obsolescence. Strangely RME isn't doing that. Even when they added DSP EFX, they left no product behind that had an FPGA that could handle it. They didn't make it a "new products only" situation. And the ones that were limited by FPGA resources or memory were still not left out.

I like Metric Halo but there is no reason that the current product without the new card (which took forever to show up) couldn't be supported other than them seeing an opportunity for a cash-grab.
Don't drink the kool aid -- especially when it's not free.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdfishee View Post
Do the new drivers help in anyway with the new mac T2 chip conflict with usb audio interfaces causing audio dropout or is that just an entirely seperate issue?

Regarding rme supporting those older units...yeah for me rme are just the best in town. I cant see myself veering to another company for the foreseeable future!
RME released a drivers withe T2 support in last February if I correctly remember. It was the drivers v3.11 I believe. Again RME was one of the first company to release a drivers who correctly works with T2 chipset.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Sounds like its safe to pick up a mac mini now then
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobass View Post
RME released a drivers withe T2 support in last February if I correctly remember. It was the drivers v3.11 I believe. Again RME was one of the first company to release a drivers who correctly works with T2 chipset.
Not quite. The RME driver was released as a band-aid, to resync faster and minimize the disturbance. The fix came from Apple in the Mojave 10.14.6 update.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
They already dealt with the T2 in the previous release (which was specifically about that.) I say that running a maxxed out top-of-the-line new Macbook Pro (2 months old) with a MADIfaceXT running constantly for a mission critical tv project. Zero issues.

But to address the Metric Halo, is this forced $500 "upgrade" the "future proof" one or will it be the next card? Please define the "favour" the manufacturer is doing when they collect a profit by force of obsolescence. Strangely RME isn't doing that. Even when they added DSP EFX, they left no product behind that had an FPGA that could handle it. They didn't make it a "new products only" situation. And the ones that were limited by FPGA resources or memory were still not left out.

I like Metric Halo but there is no reason that the current product without the new card (which took forever to show up) couldn't be supported other than them seeing an opportunity for a cash-grab.
Don't drink the kool aid -- especially when it's not free.
Depends on whether you feel it reasonable for all brands, large and small, with huge differences in both financial and human resources to cover the same ground for everything.
It also depends on whether you feel RME’s policy is the norm in the industry, and that most other brands follow suit.
For me, obviously I don’t feel that way, and applaud MH for keeping their word over the course of the last 15 years. And obviously applaud RME for their spectacular software support. But that shouldn’t turn one brand’s positive into a negative.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The praise for RME's support is there because they are far from the norm. They are exceptional on product support. Every brand should follow suit. But they don't. Because it is more profitable to sell more stuff to the user base when they stop support.

And RME isn't a large company yet they have a lot of products.

Do people seek out the average?

You think it is a positive MH have forced their users to buy more to continue using their product? If the additional card is good, it should stand up to being bought on its own merits.

Anyway, this thread is about RME driver support. Not MH and someone trying to campaign for them as having the same level of support as RME. The comparison is flawed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The praise for RME's support is there because they are far from the norm. They are exceptional on product support. Every brand should follow suit. But they don't. Because it is more profitable to sell more stuff to the user base when they stop support.

And RME isn't a large company yet they have a lot of products.

Do people seek out the average?

You think it is a positive MH have forced their users to buy more to continue using their product? If the additional card is good, it should stand up to being bought on its own merits.

Anyway, this thread is about RME driver support. Not MH and someone trying to campaign for them as having the same level of support as RME. The comparison is flawed.
Won’t discuss further with someone willing to make up what others have said to suit one’s argument. Good luck.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Won’t discuss further with someone willing to make up what others have said to suit one’s argument. Good luck.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Theoretical question: What happens to those Firewire devices when Apple stops supporting Firewire (which from a development perspective, they already have)?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thunderbolt supports connections to firewire (via embedded chipsets on dongles) so those chipsets are supported now in Catalina. Apple doesn't need to "support" it, they just need to not remove the framework for those chipset drivers.

Prying info about what Apple will/won't do is a fool's errand.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thunderbolt supports connections to firewire (via embedded chipsets on dongles) so those chipsets are supported now in Catalina. Apple doesn't need to "support" it, they just need to not remove the framework for those chipset drivers.

Prying info about what Apple will/won't do is a fool's errand.
I am not talking about the adapter; I am clearly aware of that.

I am talking about macOS support for Firewire, full stop. Just like macOS support for 32-bit.

It is very likely that Catalina will be the last OS that supports Macs that shipped with Firewire. Development for Firewire is frozen. There is no developer support for problems with the Firewire stack.

What do you do with your Firewire interface when you upgrade to an OS that no longer supports Firewire?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The stack is frozen, not dead.

This is real classy of a competitor to spread FUD about something that hasn't happened and posing it as a theoretical. And after migrating firewire to 64 bit, no direct reason to expect it to happen.

I use your products (since 2004) and have recorded musicians through them on mobile systems for major movies but this leaves a bad taste.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The stack is frozen, not dead.

This is real classy of a competitor to spread FUD about something that hasn't happened and posing it as a theoretical. And after migrating firewire to 64 bit, no direct reason to expect it to happen.
I'm not spreading FUD. And I am only posting on this thread because you folks are talking about us here. If you want to move it over to the 3d thread that would be fine with me.

Further - I'm not taking away from RME in any way shape or form; good for them that they are able to release new drivers for Catalina and that Totalmix was 64-bit long ago.

The Firewire driver for MIOs is fine in Catalina as far as I know; it has been notarized and our driver has been 64-bit since 10.4.11.

MIO Console is a Carbon app. Carbon was supposed to be 64-bit, but then Apple dropped support for it after actually completing the work.

The 32-bit Carbon API stack was frozen as well and worked fine. And then it was removed in Catalina.

I am only reporting that when we have filed bugs against Firewire in the last few OS releases we were told that they would not be fixed, and no support was available (paid or otherwise) as that technology was deprecated; luckily we were able to find a workaround.

Perhaps they will keep supporting it forever. It does not appear to me to be that way, but I don't have any inside information. I can only go by the experiences I have had as a Mac developer for the last 20 years.

Apple is in the process of removing support for kernel extensions. This means that in a future OS release (maybe 10.16, and I would be shocked if it was not completed by 10.17), all of these audio drivers that are currently kexts will need to be rewritten from the ground up as Userland drivers. Even if Firewire is still supported at that point, there will still need to be a new massive engineering effort for manufacturers to support these devices. Obviously, I cannot speak for other manufacturers and their business and engineering decisions, but it seems reasonable to guess that it may not be tenable to build brand new drivers for discontinued products.

So, faced with supporting what is a dead, and (at least it appears to me) soon to be defunct technology, or focussing on ensuring our users have a path forward, we decided to focus on the path forward. And we have been talking about it for the last 5 years, so this ought not have come as a surprise.

Back to my hypothetical. When Firewire does become defunct (and it will at some point) MIOs will have an upgrade path to something that is not defunct, and Firewire devices with no such path will become doorstops.

So rather than having a relatively low-cost (amortized) upgrade path that provides far more than a new jack, you will have to either freeze your system, or fully replace the device.

Anyone who doesn't want to upgrade their MIOs, they have the same choices - freeze their systems or fully replace the device. The two differences are (1) we do have the third option available (upgrade it), and (2) if the user does decide to replace the device, at least they can sell their MIO for a significant fraction of the original cost, since the device is *not* defunct and superseded. (For example, MOTU 828s - that came out at the same time as the 2882 are going for $60 on eBay. The cheapest 2882 on eBay right now is $799)

Quote:
I use your products (since 2004) and have recorded musicians through them on mobile systems for major movies but this leaves a bad taste.
Thank you for being a customer. The engineering effort required to migrate MIOConsole to 64-bit was quite massive, and we simply could not afford to do it for free.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
RME could thou....
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Oh come on. Bringing Metric Halo up in this thread in the first place was out of line. They are amazing and should be applauded for the option of hardware updates.

I've used both RME and MH. On the software side the biggest difference is Windows drivers, which forces me to RME in my home system. RME should get all the appraisal for supporting Windows and OSX equally.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbe View Post
Oh come on. Bringing Metric Halo up in this thread in the first place was out of line.
You can look back into who brought up MH in this thread. Hint: wasn't me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfreak View Post
RME could thou....
Some how, one company does what another cannot.

But I'll applaud a $500 collection fee as it is asked for. I'm sure technology will stop and the next 500 couldn't be spent on better when things "move up." "Future proof" -- only dummies believe that exists in technology (or those short of imagination)
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Phonetique here since we hear the same thing in France but no big deal you got it Frontiers are just imaginary lines imagined by a strange species aka human
Ain't that the truth! "The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens".

Also, proud to be a user and champion of RME since 2005; their commitment to both a) quality and b) customer support is second to none.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orff View Post
Ain't that the truth! "The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens".

Also, proud to be a user and champion of RME since 2005; their commitment to both a) quality and b) customer support is second to none.
Don't forget the wildlife - the Earth is for all species.
Old 3 days ago
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Don't forget the wildlife - the Earth is for all species.
While I agree that a borderless world would be lovely, I feel I need to point out that animals are typically rather territorial... Some will fight to the death to defend their little corner of the jungle.

Humans basically act as animals would if they had a higher IQ...

Anyway - RME rocks.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
While I agree that a borderless world would be lovely, I feel I need to point out that animals are typically rather territorial... Some will fight to the death to defend their little corner of the jungle.

Humans basically act as animals would if they had a higher IQ...

Anyway - RME rocks.
Hence why we are in loco parentis and it is our duty to preserve the wildlife.

Agreed RME is awesome from everything I hear especially their continued support for exisiting/older hardware. Just a little concerned over their software TotalMixFX, as I have heard it can be quite complicated at first? Any thoughts for someone who hasn't used it before? I am torn between UA and RME at the moment.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Just remember when you click on an output fader (lowest row), the two rows above are showing what is being sent directly to that output. Top row being inputs to the interface, middle row showing what is coming from the computer (and computer programs like DAWs.) Note I said directly. If you want to record a line in and then send it out to the speakers, the DAW is controlling what is coming in from the interface to the computer program so TotalMix is only handling the output from the DAW (middle row to output/bottom row.) Top row is going to the DAW first so it doesn't need to have anything done by TotalMix. Your DAW is taking care of that.

Pretty simple basics. Everything is "commanded" by the output row to show the mix going to it.

Then there are the other features on each channel that pop out to the side for more advanced stuff (like eq, compression/gating, mic pre functions, sends, split to mono, etc) but get the basics in your head and the rest is simple to follow from the manual.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Just a little concerned over their software TotalMixFX, as I have heard it can be quite complicated at first? Any thoughts for someone who hasn't used it before? I am torn between UA and RME at the moment.
Have you ever worked with a mixing desk or mixing application (analog, digital, HW or SW doesn‘t matter)? Then it’s straight forward and it‘s nothing but a real cool mixing desk
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I just ordered a new PC at digitalaudionetworx and they gave high praise to RME. I think they know what they are talking about.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search