The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Acustica Audio releases Sand3: Rock your mix!
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack2020 View Post
Thank you, searching for console summing in particular, all three of these offer this? Not just tape or just EQ. Summing like Sand...Hard grimy electronic, rap beats.
for Console Emulation like Sand: Cola, Lime, Amethyst, Cream, Gold.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@AcustiaCM: Pink 3 is on sale?

Where?
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
@AcustiaCM: Pink 3 is on sale?

Where?
Pink 3 is not on sale, maybe I needed to add another comma Taupe is on sale for 6 more days, the other ones on sale are Diamond (offer ends Oct30) and Sand 3 (offer ends Nov. 4)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The only other AA plug that has individual pre-amp channel summing (that I know of) like Sand is Cola. I own Sand, but don't own Cola, so I can't speak to its character.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Ok thanks, maybe I’m not being clear enough.

I’m looking for something that has all of the 32 channels of summing, set up exactly like Sand3.

Less of a smooth, shiny character, more of an aggressive one that will enhance hard electronic and rap material. Not Sand, not Cola, not Lime.

Maybe this isn’t the correct place to ask, as I know this is the Sand thread. But rather than demo seven or eight different things, which I’d rather not spend time or HD space on, if this is something available to me right now, I will demo and potentially buy. if not, then that’s that.
Navy, Cream, Cola and Sand have different line and mic inputs from the specific consoles. Thou not all of them have 32 different ones, but at least 16 line ins and at least 12 mic pres on Cream. Others have more.

Cream is more vintage but a tad bit dirty, quite colourful. Navy is a modern cleanish sound but enhances everything a little. Cola is more laid back than Sand.
But none of them have a really aggressive sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

How would people rate Taupe vs the latest releases (Navy2, pink3,sand3, cream, cola) in terms of EQ? I think taupe's eq sounds amazing but I'd like to go with something else as I don't need another tape plugin.

Is taupe's EQ considered dirty/aggressive compared to the others? Which one would be comparable?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok thanks, maybe I’m not being clear enough.

I’m looking for something that has all of the 32 channels of summing, set up exactly like Sand3.

Less of a smooth, shiny character, more of an aggressive one that will enhance hard electronic and rap material. Not Sand, not Cola, not Lime.

Maybe this isn’t the correct place to ask, as I know this is the Sand thread. But rather than demo seven or eight different things, which I’d rather not spend time or HD space on, if this is something available to me right now, I will demo and potentially buy. if not, then that’s that.
Cola has all the console channel pres in the main plugin. Try it out. Navy2 is top-notch and has the channels too, but it's more of the Neve flavour. You still might really like it though (it is excellent and has been my go-to now). Cola is faster-sounding than Navy2 though so you might like it. It's sampled from a Cadac G series .... Sits somewhere between Neve and API.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

GOLD = vintage N3v3
NAVY = modern AMS N3v3

So, I was wondering what the preamps labeled CUST are for? They are in the standalone SAND3PRE plugin. They were left out of the user manual.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
GOLD = vintage N3v3
NAVY = modern AMS N3v3

So, I was wondering what the preamps labeled CUST are for? They are in the standalone SAND3PRE plugin. They were left out of the user manual.
Hi Doom, GC quote from FB Forum: - cust is "custom", they are the original pre, basically the old Sand is covered, and you have line, mic, bus new -
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
Hi Doom, GC quote from FB Forum: - cust is "custom", they are the original pre, basically the old Sand is covered, and you have line, mic, bus new -
Very nice! Thanks for the information. These ones?

Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Very nice! Thanks for the information.
You're welcome! You got me there, he didn't specify which one, let me check on that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes those ones
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddler View Post
How would people rate Taupe vs the latest releases (Navy2, pink3,sand3, cream, cola) in terms of EQ? I think taupe's eq sounds amazing but I'd like to go with something else as I don't need another tape plugin.

Is taupe's EQ considered dirty/aggressive compared to the others? Which one would be comparable?
IMO all modern aqua EQs are "good" - meaning: they have more or less all the same emulation quality as far as they (in theory) totally depend on the original hardware captured. maybe the coding in one or another is better but I guess this doesn´t make differences in sound with the acoustica technology, at least from what I think how this technology works (with impulse responses).

so I think it totally depends on what kind of tool you need in a special situation.
it could very well be that the best one would be a different EQ in every situation.

so (and this is a time consuming process) if you want to find the best one for the job you have to try them all. of course nobody has the time to do this all the time and it doesn´t make sense either.

my way out of this dilema was to create a few chains or single instances (that I use for mixing mainly) that work best on a broad selection of material in a typical situation (eg, low mids of a sound need a reduction) in conjunction with the rest of my analog and digital equipment.

of course it would be different choices in combination with other gear and apart from that you can achieve same things with different combinations.

so to cut the story short, I think if you want to learn what works best in your own case you have to to try. I guess this is the only way since you will not find the right answers in asking others.

but of course it totally makes sense to ask which ones are cleaner or more agressive!
the taupe EQs are rather coloured for my taste, actually I think most aquas are quite coloured which in the end is what they are made for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakamoto View Post
Yep.Welcome to the club.
VST2 x64 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.
The same problem like yours.
Download error.. stop on 3565MB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaCM View Post
Ok! I couldn't reproduce the exact error you're reporting, i haven't had Sand3 installed on my PC before (Windows10), so I went to the purchases tab on Aquarius and started the download for the VST3, somewhere in the middle I had a dropout on the wifi connection so I had an error message. I clicked the trash icon (top right) to purge the stage area, then to be sure I checked the directory on windows, empty.
Closed Aquarius, opened it again (always run as Admin) went to the home tab and started downloading again, went to dinner (creamy herb mushroom chicken if it helps), came back, no error message, opened Studio One, and voila! (see attachments)

If you please can submit a ticket to our help desk with the log file will be the best way to solve the problem and maybe help other users!

How to create a LOG file in Aquarius:
+Run Aquarius.
+Do a "Control+Click" over Aquarius logo in the upper left part, and click OK.
+Find the Aquarius LOG.

Keep me posted, my PMs are always open!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I was having that download problem before and clearing up some space on my HD seemed to fix it. I ended up needing at least 8 gb or so for whatever reason ....

Quote:
Interesting. I hope Acustica looks into this. Pagefile issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Once the download got around halfway, the progress would change to show a negative number, which I've never seen before. It looked like this: -2340 of 3500 mb.

I also monitored my SSD space as it was installing and noticed that it was taking up way more space than 3.5 gb while installing. I assumed this was from install files or whatever. I didn't have enough space and the download would fail. So I cleared up more space (around 8 gb free as I said) and it worked.

That was with the Sand3 trial. I've since cleared up more space on that SSD and bought Sand3. The install for the non-trial version went smoothly, but it also did the negative thing (-2600 of 3500 mb, for example).
I worked with support and they put a lot of effort into trying to solve this for me. Their efforts are really appreciated. Much kudos to hard working and responsive support staff.

Ultimately however, I was able to solve this install issue on my own.

I enabled the log as described and watched it for failures. A very clear download error with the failed file url is logged when the install fails. Each time I experienced the download error, I put the failed file url into my web browser and 'manually' downloaded the file to my Sand staging directory. I kept clicking the install button in Aquarius to try again with each new failure. After doing this a few times, the installer finally worked.

I shared my workaround with support, so hopefully they open up an issue with R&D and someone takes a look at the Aquarius downloader component to make it more robust.

Until then, if anyone else has this issue, give this workaround a try.
Old 4 weeks ago
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy View Post
I worked with support and they put a lot of effort into trying to solve this for me. Their efforts are really appreciated. Much kudos to hard working and responsive support staff.

Ultimately however, I was able to solve this install issue on my own.

I enabled the log as described and watched it for failures. A very clear download error with the failed file url is logged when the install fails. Each time I experienced the download error, I put the failed file url into my web browser and 'manually' downloaded the file to my Sand staging directory. I kept clicking the install button in Aquarius to try again with each new failure. After doing this a few times, the installer finally worked.

I shared my workaround with support, so hopefully they open up an issue with R&D and someone takes a look at the Aquarius downloader component to make it more robust.

Until then, if anyone else has this issue, give this workaround a try.
Hey! I'm glad you could work it out!
Coincidentally today I came across your ticket and read all the steps you went with support to try to pinpoint the problem. Good job! and ill save your workaround on my EverNote just in case. Enjoy Sand3!!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just delivered my first EP with SAND3. I used the new EQs and channel comp on a few tracks. The band loved the mixes.

Not saying the same wouldn't have happened without SAND3, but just saying don't ignore those Homebrew equalizers. They are just as good as the classic console samples. SteDal did a great job on his clones!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just delivered my first EP with SAND3. I used the new EQs and channel comp on a few tracks. The band loved the mixes.

Not saying the same wouldn't have happened without SAND3, but just saying don't ignore those Homebrew equalizers. They are just as good as the classic console samples. SteDal did a great job on his clones!
Yup, the standalone E/G EQ's might very well my my favourite character ITB options. Using them more than Navy now.

So easy to dial a sound in with them!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Yup, the standalone E/G EQ's might very well my my favourite character ITB options. Using them more than Navy now.

So easy to dial a sound in with them!
Yes, my main channel eq as well. Mostly E version. I liked g on toms better, but overall E is superb!

I have not used the channel strip thou. If it had these eqs and all pres I would use it more probably.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Tried the demo, had to buy it! Amazing, big user of the Pre... this genuinely sounds like my analog summing!! Well done
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola_Tesla View Post
Tried the demo, had to buy it! Amazing, big user of the Pre... this genuinely sounds like my analog summing!! Well done
Can you get the summing effect when freezing/bouncing the tracks or does the preamp need to be running live? Is there any interaction between different tracks/plugin instances?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I want to report that the Sand 3 working. With user "Kindafishy" method help. After downloading missing files from browser everything works. It took me two minutes with tial to know how great sound coming from those equalizers. Just woow. Instant buy. My favorite is G eq especially in the highs. Great job Acustica.
Next Navy2, Pink 3, Magneta 5 Of course they are now on my shopping list.

Last edited by sakamoto; 3 weeks ago at 01:26 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Can you get the summing effect when freezing/bouncing the tracks or does the preamp need to be running live? Is there any interaction between different tracks/plugin instances?

Works fine freezing or bouncing!! Console summing sound for sure!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Interested how the neve 88rs update will sound really liked the uad update its the only plugin from them which sounds to me 3 dimensional
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

AA please consider releasing 48khz from the get go.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP2020 View Post
Works fine freezing or bouncing!! Console summing sound for sure!!
Second'd. There is no channel crosstalk emulated or any other plugin interaction. Freeze away to conserve that CPU!

The interesting thing about SAND3 is 32 different line inputs to buss outputs were modeled. That's something a lot of other virtual console saturation plugins don't do. I'm not sure how much more "analog" that makes everything work but I'm flipping through the numbers anyway, LOL.

That said, I still need to test the harmonics on this and NAVY2 (plus a few other Acquas) over the weekend and compare it to real hardware. There wasn't time to do it this past week like I had hoped.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That said, I still need to test the harmonics on this and NAVY2 (plus a few other Acquas) over the weekend and compare it to real hardware. There wasn't time to do it this past week like I had hoped.
Looking forward to seeing what your detective work digs up! With limited use, I’ve particularly enjoyed the EQ in Sand 3 but without time to test I’m never sure whether it’s worth printing everything through the virtual console line inputs including buses etc. since I got a Silver Bullet and hardware SSL bus comp. Obviously it would still make a difference but guessing it’s a case of diminishing returns...
I had got into a habit of batch processing all tracks through a console (usually AlexB 9KC) prior to mixing. I need to investigate the Sand 3 busses more - was a little confused on first look as to what was what (regarding the busses on the channel & comp). Guess it wouldn’t hurt to RTFM
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Looking forward to seeing what your detective work digs up! With limited use, I’ve particularly enjoyed the EQ in Sand 3 but without time to test I’m never sure whether it’s worth printing everything through the virtual console line inputs including buses etc. since I got a Silver Bullet and hardware SSL bus comp. Obviously it would still make a difference but guessing it’s a case of diminishing returns...
I had got into a habit of batch processing all tracks through a console (usually AlexB 9KC) prior to mixing. I need to investigate the Sand 3 busses more - was a little confused on first look as to what was what (regarding the busses on the channel & comp). Guess it wouldn’t hurt to RTFM
I've yet to find anything ITB that sounds as good as running channels through the SB mojo circuits. The glue and separation is another level!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've yet to find anything ITB that sounds as good as running channels through the SB mojo circuits. The glue and separation is another level!
SB Mojo circuits? Please do tell.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I feel the same way regarding the SPL Mixdream, but this comes pretty damn close!! And I have to say the transients are tighter with the acoustica pre... my mind is blown! I did my first ITB in years and left all my hardware off. It worried me in a way as it felt I’ve invested my money wrong.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
SB Mojo circuits? Please do tell.
The Silver Bullet Neve/API mojo circuits - you can drive one circuit into the other N>A or A>N and adjust to taste. It is another level to anything I’ve heard but not all that convenient if you want to run individual tracks through on a 100+ track mix
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search