The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pulsar Audio releases Mu, the ultimate glue compressor
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
I really think they should upload those files on the website instead of the one they used.
100%, much better comparisons.
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiccoloComin View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks to all those who participated in the blind test, that was fun ! Here are the correct answers.

I accounted for the PM and thread responses, 16 answers in total.

Bass
A : Hardware
B : Pulsar Mu
36% guessed the hardware correctly
87% preferred the Mu

Drums
A : Pulsar Mu
B : Hardware
25% guessed the hardware correctly
50% preferred the Mu

Mixbuss
A : Pulsar Mu
B : Hardware
50% guessed the hardware correctly
55% preferred the Mu
Impressive results. Loving this Mu.

...can you drop us a hint on what's coming next? Like the category? Hoping for a sexy EQ.
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackbout View Post
Impressive results. Loving this Mu.

...can you drop us a hint on what's coming next? Like the category? Hoping for a sexy EQ.
Massive Passive would be perfect !
Old 13th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endor View Post
Massive Passive would be perfect !
Massive Passive would be amazing. Would love to see that, or something that hasn't been done before like a Crane Song Ibis.
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

Totally got it wrong on crappy headphones

Will have to listen again in speakers and pretend I don’t know which is which
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrustycans View Post
Totally got it wrong on crappy headphones

Will have to listen again in speakers and pretend I don’t know which is which
You think on monitors it sounds like a collection of tin cans? Like ten knights scratching on chalkboards?

Test it and come back with your personal truth, please.
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
You think on monitors it sounds like a collection of tin cans? Like ten knights scratching on chalkboards?

Test it and come back with your personal truth, please.
Absolutely not! The subtleties of colour, dynamic control etc are much less apparent when I'm listening on headphones vs monitors. It's hard to gauge punch and solidity for me unless I'm on my main speakers as I rarely do any work on 'cans', especially £20 Audio Technica's!!

I can hear the hardware control/glue having checked the clips on speakers but I'd be a fool to come here now and say the hardware sounds better on all fronts. On the mix I preferred hardware on speakers. Bass probably hardware too but actually picked MU on drums.....
Old 14th October 2019
Gear Head

When does the sale end?
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotso View Post
When does the sale end?
Around 24th to 26th of October
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Try this on your vocal bus if you haven't yet. Yum :¬)
Old 18th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Anyway, back to the Mu. I've been demoing it. I'm still exploring but so far I like the general look of the plugin and am enjoying what it does sonically. You can push this thing quite hard without things falling to bits. I like that.

My immediate feature request would be for the values to show up when you mouse over any of the knobs. Or even better, have an "All Values On" mode. Having to click on a knob to know the exact value is a bit unhandy.

Secondly, holding SHIFT delinks the channels for that control so that you can set them individually. That would be cool except that it is pretty much standard default behaviour in plugins to have SHIFT make a control go into fine mode. I have just opened and checked with more than a dozen plugins and they ALL use SHIFT to make fine adjustments when scrolling the scroll wheel. Mu is the only exception.

So this is probably a very annoying request but GUI's from all these different developers make it already enough of a jungle to navigate as it is, could you pretty please switch the behaviour of CTRL and SHIFT to be in line with the majority of developers so that SHIFT does fine tuning and CTRL individual channel adjustment? Pretty please.

An off-line sampling setting would be nice. It would also be nice if clicking on the meters would change their resolution/zoom level to show more detail when only doing small amounts of GR. The meters are already quite small as it is.
In the mean time, I purchased Mu. I'm requoting the above feature requests in the hope that the Pulsar Audio team see it.

(Do you guys have an address to send feature requests to? Or should that just go through support?)

Cheers,

Alistair
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

i would just use their regular email. they dont appear to me like a company with hundred of employees
Old 4 weeks ago
I did a very unscientific compression between the MU and the Sebatron SMAC optical hardware compressor. One way I check out the personally of compressors is run a good drum track into them and smash the every loving heck out of them. This shows up distortion, transient issues, artifacts, frequency shifts, phasing, pumping feel. The list goes on and on. Anyway I pushed the MU as far as it was able without it getting really ugly and the same with the Sebatron. Of course the MU is not trying to sound like an optical compressor but still this shows how they are very different trying to do the same job. When my Varis Vars-Mu gets out of the shop which is a lot more similar I will do another test like this.
Attached Files
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
I did a very unscientific compression between the MU and the Sebatron SMAC optical hardware compressor. One way I check out the personally of compressors is run a good drum track into them and smash the every loving heck out of them. This shows up distortion, transient issues, artifacts, frequency shifts, phasing, pumping feel. The list goes on and on. Anyway I pushed the MU as far as it was able without it getting really ugly and the same with the Sebatron. Of course the MU is not trying to sound like an optical compressor but still this shows how they are very different trying to do the same job. When my Varis Vars-Mu gets out of the shop which is a lot more similar I will do another test like this.
Sounds good until he cymbals hit. I'd never use Mu this way but interesting nonetheless.

Try Brighton with the same loop, that's an opto and I'd bet it holds up very well against the HW
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Attack and release is very different between the 2. MU sounds like a fast attack/release than Sebatron.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSoundzz View Post
When my Varis Vars-Mu gets out of the shop which is a lot more similar I will do another test like this.
Look forward to hearing the results.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidusername View Post
add me on this one ! when using LFOTOOL or VolumeShaper to sidechain everything but the kick (for electronic music production) i need zero latency plugins on busses

Vous êtes grenoblois ? Eh beh bravo les gars ! je ne l'ai pas encore acheté mais ça ne saurait tarder...
Isn't the point of LFO Tool to not need the kick?

Regardless, if you add an aux track in the path between the kick and the side chain input in ProTools, ADC has a place to add delay and the timing will be right. It's been a little while since I found the workaround so there may be another detail to get it right, but there's a way to do it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
Matched with ProC in 10min...money saved
I'd love to hear more about this. What did you match?

At the bare minimum, the Pro C has the lookahead, but not the sidechain delay, so there's no way to match that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
You'd have to ask the developers but my guess is that to code for the small amounts of randomness would be extremely difficult...
Not at all. Ableton has it built-in to its sampler's filter. It's a great what to prevent each sample trigger from being identical.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheninja View Post
I love everything about iLok. Until you lose it and getting your licenses reactivated becomes a nightmare. Did it once and it was no fun. Other than that I think it’s a great system.
Or when you forget it because you left it in your dock.

I've got mine taped to my laptop so that doesn't ever happen again.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Guy View Post
Overloud is another company I am keeping a close eye on, they have big potential. I just purchased their entire GEM series. But they are not in the same league as Pulsar is right out of the gate
They need the option for hitting the in-between spots with the command key. I love the GEM EQ but I can only use it once in a while when the need is exactly a 2dB increment.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
DMG's latest TrackComp beta includes a 2500, was testing that the other day. Very good indeed; open/wide and punchy. Pink3 is good but can sound too soft on some sources.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on those vs the hardware!
The Track Comp beta is amazing. I could function with that an nothing else if I had to.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
They need the option for hitting the in-between spots with the command key. I love the GEM EQ but I can only use it once in a while when the need is exactly a 2dB increment.
Meh, don't fear the 550s. They are made for quick bold moves. In-betweens defeats its purpose.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelieR View Post
Pultec ? Pultec is an EQ.

It is emulating Vari-Mu. Manley Vari-Mu if I am not mistaken.

And yes sometimes you have "legal mumbo jumbo" happening so you cannot say loudly which brand and specific products you emulate except if you pay to use their name (in a nutshell).
And a mic pre. Most people don't know about those though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverOak View Post
Meh, don't fear the 550s. They are made for quick bold moves. In-betweens defeats its purpose.
If the purpose is to sound good, but not right, then it's spot on.

This is the 495 I'm talking about. I love the tone of all of the frequencies, especially the low end, but it's almost always too much or too little.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotabateno View Post
For sure sales dip significantly for a moment when that happens, other devs said so too. I just think it's worth to consider the other side of the coin too: the potentially large sales they miss out on to begin with. It would be interesting to learn more about that group of potential buyers, but I'm afraid everyone (including devs) operates mostly on somewhat educated guesses in this regard.
Who says the devs that choose ilok miss out on “potentially large sales”??

Seriously, I have literally never heard a peep of a dev talking about losing massive sales because he went with pace.

Nothing personal, but, this is a tired and overused speculative donkey dong of a conversation starter...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
And a mic pre. Most people don't know about those though.
True the MB-1, I've only used them during my first internship and never since.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not at all. Ableton has it built-in to its sampler's filter. It's a great what to prevent each sample trigger from being identical.
Actually it is fundamentally impossible to produce truly random numbers on any deterministic machine. You are merely speaking of arithmetically produced psuedo-random numbers which merely appear in orders as if they were generated randomly.

However, that may be sufficient for this particular programming requirement aforementioned.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune45 View Post
Actually it is fundamentally impossible to produce truly random numbers on any deterministic machine. You are merely speaking of arithmetically produced psuedo-random numbers which merely appear in orders as if they were generated randomly.

However, that may be sufficient for this particular programming requirement aforementioned.
Not entirely true. There are all sorts of randomly fluctuating values that can be measured inside a computer. (Temperature values, voltage values etc. Just use the digits behind the comma to avoid any correlation with actual temperature or voltage). This can be used as seeds for pseudo-random generators. When this approach is done carefully, as the seeds are random, the results are also random.

But yeah, more importantly, we need only to fool the human brain so with the right algorithms, there is more than sufficient randomness to fool humans.

Note that that doesn't mean that all developers do this right! For instance if the separate channels of a dither algorithm are not decorrelated enough, are not random enough, you will get a narrowing of the stereo field.

Alistair
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Not entirely true. There are all sorts of randomly fluctuating values that can be measured inside a computer. (Temperature values, voltage values etc. Just use the digits behind the comma to avoid any correlation with actual temperature or voltage). This can be used as seeds for pseudo-random generators. When this approach is done carefully, as the seeds are random, the results are also random.

But yeah, more importantly, we need only to fool the human brain so with the right algorithms, there is more than sufficient randomness to fool humans.

Note that that doesn't mean that all developers do this right! For instance if the separate channels of a dither algorithm are not decorrelated enough, are not random enough, you will get a narrowing of the stereo field.

Alistair
Yes but there could also be the much deeper and hotly debated topic that nothing is random - even in nature itself with an initial state of set parameters i.e. the laws of physics and hence everything is deterministic from that...

Maybe we are looking to deeply at this here lol and should leave this for a physics forum
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search